Do men just arbitrarily tell you that they love you?

lady_godiva

This guy that I have been liking for years told me just out of the blue that he loves me almost a year ago. For as long as I have been knowing him, I never thought that I was his type because I am overweight. All of his girlfriends have been thin. I recently saw him and he hugged me and squeezed me as if he does, but that's as far as it went. What's up with this? What should I do? Should I confront him or just let it go? Or do guys tell this to women whom they think of as just friends?

They did when I was younger. I dated at least two guys who would tell me they loved me for no reason other than, in my opinion, to manipulate me. Because it came out of nowhere and it wasn't like I was asking for that kind of attention/affection. So it's like, why are you telling me that? I know that you don't mean it :rolleyes:

They did when I was younger. I dated at least two guys who would tell me they loved me for no reason other than, in my opinion, to manipulate me. Because it came out of nowhere and it wasn't like I was asking for that kind of attention/affection. So it's like, why are you telling me that? I know that you don't mean it :rolleyes:

This is in his 40s and did not say it to get something in return from me.

I didn't mean it like that. IME, it was with 1. the guy I lost my virginity to and 2. the guy I dated in college that I found out later took our relationship a lot more seriously than I did. Actually now that I think about it both those guys refused to get out of my life (the first guy prank called my phone for like 3 years after we dated until I got my number changed, and the second guy JUST friended me again on facebook after I unfriended him about a year ago; we dated like six years ago and he still won't go away) and for all I know maybe they meant it, but it seemed manipulative to me because I knew at the time neither of them were only seeing me. I suppose maybe I wasn't supposed to know that.

In short who knows... lol... but I think in general, yes, they will arbitrarily say it.

Personally any guy that has said it to me had the actions to back it up, and was already in a relationship with. I believe some men would nonetheless, it probably happens very often. But that does not speak for your situation. Its something only you would know/ be able to tell.
See if his actions back it up, and if they do, what does he want out of it? What would you want out of it?

Last edited:
Was he saying I love you like a friend? Like you're good friends or something. It sounds like he said I love you because you've been friends for years. If you were in a relationship, it would be different, but since you're not, I think he meant it in a friendship way. Also, since it was a year ago, I don't think you should think about it anymore. One hug that he just recently gave you doesn't really mean anything. Unless more has happened that you haven't posted, I think you should forget about it because it's inconsequential.

Last edited:
This guy that I have been liking for years told me just out of the blue that he loves me almost a year ago. For as long as I have been knowing him, I never thought that I was his type because I am overweight. All of his girlfriends have been thin. I recently saw him and he hugged me and squeezed me as if he does, but that's as far as it went. What's up with this? What should I do? Should I confront him or just let it go? Or do guys tell this to women whom they think of as just friends?

Did he say he loved you, or that he was in love with you? If the former, that could go for friends or maybe more. For the latter, it's definitely more.

ETA: If he used the 'L' word over a year ago, just base your curiosity on his current actions. Or, ask him.

Back