Disappointed Dominican Blowout!!! Vent Part 2 - Very Pic Heavy

I'm not acting like anything. Aside from all the legal blee-blah, how is ur hair doing? Have you done some hardcore protiens to try and help it out a bit?? Have you managed to get it to snap back at all?

I have used the aphogee 2 min reconstructor and the roux mendex. My hair seems to be doing fine strength-wise but its still pretty straight.

I know this may not apply to your situation OP, but I just wanted to say that I am a lic. Stylist and what she did was wrong in terms of the rude comments and probably her technique. I am not sure because I wasn't there. I say go and speak to a lawyer and see if you have a case. If anything you should have not paid for the service and walked out.

I once had a client that asked to have her hair cut. I cut the back and she liked it; however she also asked me to cut her bang. She showed me a picture of how she wanted them cut and I cut it exactly like that. She looked at them in the mirror and asked for them to be a little shorter. I complied and cut them shorter. She again asked me to cut them shorter. I did. 2 more times she asked me to cut them shorter. I recommended not to cut, but she asked again. (the customer is always right, huh?) Well I cut them, this time she starts to cry and tells me they are too short. I had to call my manager over and she tried to accomadate the young lady. Needless to say she left without paying for her hair cut because SHE told me to cut her bangs too short against my reccomendation. I say this is try and see, you may win, you may not.

Man if I was a stylist I would have people sign release forms for blowouts, relaxers and permanent dye. Because it is not worth all of this.

There is a risk of heat damage when using heat. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose but you can always learn from it.

Where I work, we have clients to sign a release form for chemical services. This allows us not be held accountable for if we recommend not to get the service and the customer still insist. Unfortunately, we don't use it for the basic stuff unless we feel we really have too.

These are the things those who claim to be licensed certified professionals should have expertise in. That is why they pass beauty school. I already went in there with healthy hair and I have the pictures to prove it. If she truly is experienced and certified, which she needs to prove to the court, she should know how 4b hair looks/behaves when it is heat damaged, especially when its completely virgin and healthy; and should know from experience how best to deal with it.

She should have had full knowledge of what she was doing and she should have taken full responsibility I confronted her with the damages. If she was incapable of handling my hair, she shouldn't have literally tried to fight/wrestle me down to the chair to do my hair.

Hmmm, lemme see them give a white girl a bad hair color and dats gonna be the last day they touched another head with color!

Hey. I'm sorry you experienced such damage . . . I've been there and know it sucks. I bolded your above comment however b/c I think it speaks to a level of entitlement folks have when getting services. YES, there is a standard of care that is to rightfully be expected, but sometimes ish happens. Attorneys are licensed, but they don't win every case. Doctors are licensed, but patients still die. She may very well have over 20 years of experience w/natural hair . . . Dominican 3A/B/C hair or the like. We all know that 4a/4b hair is THE most fragile, as well as predominant hair type among African American women and folks STILL be ****** it up. She sounds rude and unprofessional and again, I'm sorry you had to experience this, but to try and sue . . . :perplexed I would liken that to going to a "Becky" stylist and getting mad b/c she messed up my "quickweave". *big hug*

Wow:nono:... What i suggest u do mean-while is just really keep babying and deep conditioning your hair... because sometimes the hair will revert back.. But act fast!
Good Luck!

I know this may not apply to your situation OP, but I just wanted to say that I am a lic. Stylist and what she did was wrong in terms of the rude comments and probably her technique. I am not sure because I wasn't there. I say go and speak to a lawyer and see if you have a case. If anything you should have not paid for the service and walked out.

I once had a client that asked to have her hair cut. I cut the back and she liked it; however she also asked me to cut her bang. She showed me a picture of how she wanted them cut and I cut it exactly like that. She looked at them in the mirror and asked for them to be a little shorter. I complied and cut them shorter. She again asked me to cut them shorter. I did. 2 more times she asked me to cut them shorter. I recommended not to cut, but she asked again. (the customer is always right, huh?) Well I cut them, this time she starts to cry and tells me they are too short. I had to call my manager over and she tried to accomadate the young lady. Needless to say she left without paying for her hair cut because SHE told me to cut her bangs too short against my reccomendation. I say this is try and see, you may win, you may not.

You probably didn't read my whole post and part 1. Please do so you can know what happened.

Last edited:
Hey. I'm sorry you experienced such damage . . . I've been there and know it sucks. I bolded your above comment however b/c I think it speaks to a level of entitlement folks have when getting services. YES, there is a standard of care that is to rightfully be expected, but sometimes ish happens. Attorneys are licensed, but they don't win every case. Doctors are licensed, but patients still die. She may very well have over 20 years of experience w/natural hair . . . Dominican 3A/B/C hair or the like. We all know that 4a/4b hair is THE most fragile, as well as predominant hair type among African American women and folks STILL be ****** it up. She sounds rude and unprofessional and again, I'm sorry you had to experience this, but to try and sue . . . :perplexed I would liken that to going to a "Becky" stylist and getting mad b/c she messed up my "quickweave". *big hug*

I didn't say that as a way of displaying my entitlement for services or expecting everyone to be perfect. I said that to show that because they are licensed, they are even more liable for major damages accrued.

Man if I was a stylist I would have people sign release forms for blowouts, relaxers and permanent dye. Because it is not worth all of this.

ITA. Every other profession does it so I don't know why full disclosure isn't a part of the hair styling industry. Especially since some "beauty" procedures have the ability to affect a person at the same level a medical procedure can.

OP my only suggestion would be to stop wasting your time in this thread. You don't want to be irrate in court. At the end of the day, nothing said on this thread matters.

I'm going to add my 2 cents anyway. No one should get a service and expect to have their hair almost burned off. OP has SERIOUS heat damage. That is to be expected over continued high heat, but 1 service should not have you looking like that. Dominicans are black, white and everything in between. And YES, people from DR have type 4 hair.

My sister and I had blowouts done at a salon recognized nationally for their services. We
both have type 4 (mine A, hers B). Our hair was blow out with a setting lotion, the flat ironed with one or two spritzs of heat protectant. Our hair fully reverted the next wash. Neither of us have "silky" textures or any other excuse for easy to straighten hair. Blowouts can be done properly on type 4 hair, in this case it was not.

This court case is not a representation of anything CLOSE to what I went through.

I spoke up and she insisted that it was gonna be impossible for her to give me heat damage, that she is a professional, experienced, that I should stop acting like I know too much because I am not the one who is the stylist! I kept threatening to leave MANY times but I couldnt cuz ma mom was there also getting her hair done and was supporting the stylist, and thought i was being extremely rude and disrespectful; also the stylist kept dragging me down the chair and telling my mom, dang your daughter is too hard headed, etc.

Well I don't know about you guys saying oh you shoulda just walked out but YES I TRIED TO numerous times. But I was raised in an extremely strict home, you cannot just walk out of your parent like that. My mom was exremely embarrased by my behavior so some of you keep not understanding the fact that I was really quite stuck on that day.

When I went home she yelled at me; it was my birthday and she wanted me to do my hair and she thought I was being ungrateful and not appreciating the stylist by "not letting her do her job". When I told her my hair is severly damaged and the stylist is a crook, she yelled at me viciously and told me I was such a stuck up child!:nono: Why do you think when I went back the next day to confront the woman about the damages, I went with MY DAD??

i'm confused. you couldn't leave b/c of your mother? i'm not saying the stylist is off the hook but if you weren't being held hostage against your will by the stylist then your decision to stay was ultimately a choice. I know you felt "stuck" but it seems like you felt more threatened by you mom being upset with you than the stylist. i'd be mad about the heat damage, but i'd probably be angrier at my mom. just sayin'

Sashelvis Hair Salon

301-588-1669
938 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910

Okay.......I just wanted to say that I've personally been to Sashelvis (when I was living in the DMV) - I went based on a recommendation. They did my hair very well. It was at the beginning of my healthy hair journey and the owner trimmed my hair and gave me a blowout. She didn't use excessive heat. I thought she trimmed too much, but looking back on it, my hair was damaged & she was just cutting off the damage, which is what I asked her to do.

I have two friends who go to this salon exclusively. One has MBL-length hair (relaxed) and it is extremely healthy. She gets a rollerset, has them blow out the roots, then put her hair in 4 big pincurls. I have another friend whose hair is natural. She has never had a relaxer. She cuts her hair between SL and APL for low-maintenance. They shampoo, blow-dry and flat iron her hair every 2 weeks. Again, it's very healthy with blunt ends and she loves the salon. She has a disability and they accommodate her as well.

I've seen mixed reviews on this salon, but from personal experience, it's not a bad salon. I lived closer to Adam's Morgan so I started going to Judith's and Giovanni.

OP, I'm only a lowly law student, so I can't give any legal advice. As a layperson, it sounds like you don't have a case. Like Lexi said, if everyone could sue for heat damage, we would all be rich. But, it doesn't hurt to contact a lawyer.

Last edited:
How can anyone who subjects themselves to this below and not know that they risk possible heat damage? Just look at the lengths below that have to be gone through to get that fresh relaxer/ perm press look on type 4 hair. Also lets not forget the damage to our scalp from all the heat and possible traction/ follicle damage.

http://adventuresofakinkycurly.blogspot.com/2010/05/dominican-blow-out.html

In all honesty I believe that the same results could be achieved more safely on type 4 hair at home by washing, dc'ing, applying a leave in and heat protectant and then blow-drying on cool to stretch the hair and then flat-ironing at 370 -380 degrees MAX using the comb chase method.

Just something that we type 4's need to think about.

^ PR, I've seen this video before and this is typical of what happens in a Dominican salon. I think this lady's hair turned out very well, personally. She had a nice head of full, thick hair to work with. Loved it.

When I go, i have my hair already washed, dc'ed and lightly blown out (making sure i have stretched and detangled my hair thoroughly) with heat protectant and SMB ( i do not get a rollerset), they just follow-up with another blow dry( i learned this through trial and error, because one stylist was being kinda rough and i felt i could be losing hair). When they are done blow drying my hair, i really don't need a flat iron, to be honest. But I like the added sheen and just knowing my hair is super straight.

I hate to say it, but it's kinda like 'pick the lesser of two evils...'

I still think this is safer on the hair than getting a relaxer, but that's just me.

I went to a sista and she was even rougher on my hair than the Dominicans ('Girrrrl, you shole got a lot o' hair' it was like she had a vendetta against my hair - Dang, what did it do to you, Lady?), and she pressed my hair. It didn't look any better, took longer, hurt and I feel I lost alotta of hair.

When I asked her could she help me get to waistlength, she almost fell over - "What you gone do with all that hair, that's reeeaaal long? Oooh..." She was visibly shaken and couldn't even IMAGINE it.

I asked the same questions of my Domini stylist and she said, "Sure, Mami, no problem, you have beautiful hair."

;^{ That was it for me.

So whenever I want my hair straightened and i don't want to do it myself, I go to a Dominisalon.

Last edited:
I am very sorry what happened to your hair, that is why I don't go to any hairdressers, even my colour treatments, I do them myself, even though I have been to Aveda school, where they coloured my hair in sections. Your hair is very delicate, because it has such a coarse appearance, people treat it very badly. I went to a hair dresser and she treated my hair very badly, I suggest protein treatments, Mega Tek and OCT if you can use them, henna treatments, deep moisturising treatments, aloe vera and castor oil, coconut oil, also try using amla and Brahmi powders or oil, tea rinses, black tea or horsetail, rosemary, marshmallow, nettle, go to the health shop, get some Kombu seaweed and put boiling water over it leave over night and pour into your hair. I know some people will say that it is only hair, but the point being, no-one likes to be progressing and you have to take three steps backward, also when you do blow dry your hair use heat protection, also get a maxiglide with a steam feature, so that your hair once it is straightened can every revert back to its curly state, speak to your hair, and it must go back to its curly state and you may not have to cut it. Good luck, blessings and hugs.

When I go, i have my hair already washed, dc'ed and lightly blown out (making sure i have stretched and detangled my hair thoroughly) with heat protectant and SMB ( i do not get a rollerset), they just follow-up with another blow dry( i learned this through trial and error, because one stylist was being kinda rough and i felt i could be losing hair). When they are done blow drying my hair, i really don't need a flat iron, to be honest. But I like the added sheen and just knowing my hair is super straight.
I wish my salon would let me do this. They won't just blow dry your hair if you come in off the street without washing it and everything else first...they say it is to "protect themselves".

Like I said in part 1, my sister has 4b/cnapp hair and they were able to get her hair straight....they bantu knotted her hair instead of rollersetting it, but it still got straight and sleek. Your stylist just didn't know what she was doing, 20 years of experience or not. One thing's for sure -- if you take that snappy attitude you've displayed in this thread towards certain members with you, you'll surely win in court.

Cmon now. You have been a member here for how long?? and possibly a lurker before that. You can't tell me you didn't know what a dominican blow out consisted of, and how they over do it on the heat. AGAIN, not that this is your fault, but I think the posters are getting more annoyed with the fact that you are acting like you didn't know this type of damage was a very real possiblity when getting this kind of service. Which is why there is so much back and forth. I believe there is a big difference between a professional grade dryer and a regular one as well.

Seriously, why do some folks think that people have NOTHING better to do than read each and every thread on this site. I've been a member for a looong time and there are things I never catch on to because it either doesn't interest me or I'm living life and don't have time to come on the threads.

As for the risks of dominican blowdrying, there are so many variables involved in getting heat damage:
*skill level of the stylist
*attitude/patience level of the stylist
*quality of tools used
*quality of the client's hair
*texture of client's hair
*the use (or lack of) on hair product

I'm sure there's even more that I'm not aware of.

Furthermore, my sis has full, strong 4b hair and has had her hair blowdryed by a dominican stylist in Harlem about 3-4 times and came out with swanging, relaxer looking straight hair. There was no damage (at least to the naked eye) to her natural hair. So, like I said it really depends.

BTW, the list of variables I listed above can relate to any service: relaxing, coloring, trimming, etc.

So let's not act that the OP came in that day and thought to herself 'Today would be a great day to have my hair damaged'. Every time you walk into a salon for just about any service, there's a potential for risk.

And that's why a large portion of the posters on this site are self-relaxers, self-trimmers and self-colorists.

Sorry this happened.

That's why I don't do DBs. The technique is a disaster waiting to happen.
The high heat alone makes me give it the side-eye. It's not for everybody.

So let's not act that the OP came in that day and thought to herself 'Today would be a great day to have my hair damaged'. Every time you walk into a salon for just about any service, there's a potential for risk.

And that's why a large portion of the posters on this site are self-relaxers, self-trimmers and self-colorists.

I know right? Some people can be so rude.

LOLZ, so you're saying one has to read every thread here to know that intense heat on your head combined with constant yanking at your head with a brush could equal damage :rolleyes:

Oh yes, congratulations on having a life as well. :rolleyes: Please don't quote me and try to imply that i'm saying something i'm not.

Seriously, why do some folks think that people have NOTHING better to do than read each and every thread on this site. I've been a member for a looong time and there are things I never catch on to because it either doesn't interest me or I'm living life and don't have time to come on the threads.

As for the risks of dominican blowdrying, there are so many variables involved in getting heat damage:
*skill level of the stylist
*attitude/patience level of the stylist
*quality of tools used
*quality of the client's hair
*texture of client's hair
*the use (or lack of) on hair product

I'm sure there's even more that I'm not aware of.

Furthermore, my sis has full, strong 4b hair and has had her hair blowdryed by a dominican stylist in Harlem about 3-4 times and came out with swanging, relaxer looking straight hair. There was no damage (at least to the naked eye) to her natural hair. So, like I said it really depends.

BTW, the list of variables I listed above can relate to any service: relaxing, coloring, trimming, etc.

LOLZ, so you're saying one has to read every thread here to know that intense heat on your head combined with constant yanking at your head with a brush could equal damage :rolleyes:

Oh yes, congratulations on having a life as well. :rolleyes: Please don't quote me and try to imply that i'm saying something i'm not.

I just came from a blowout with intense heat and someone yanking on my head and my hair is fine. So clearly, some outcomes are good and some are bad, just like any hair service. So the 'she should've known better argument' doesn't fly.:rolleyes:

So what are you saying?

I too went to Sashelvis in Silver Spring once. My experience was horrible, also. Anna, who is one of the owners, was my stylist. I repeatedly told her I was keeping my hair one length and she purposely chopped off the front of my hair during what was supposed to be a small trim. Her daughter was in the salon and told her mom she was wrong. I posted a review on RoundBrushHair.com to warn others, but it was erased.:perplexed

I am sooo sorry that not only did this happened to you but it sounds like you felt you may not have gotten support when you came to vent on LHCF not to mention from your mother either... IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT YOUR FAULT! What happened to you was do to ignorance and incompetence! I am just sooooo sorry for how you must have felt during your time of (Hair) loss. I know this was/is an emotional time for you-You and your hair will be just fine sweetie-keep your head up and stay positive! You are right to not blame yourself-don't ever do that!

thanks for reminding me OP not to get my hair straighten again. i remember when that happened to me. i was so hurt and upset. i put a lot of trust into the person that did my hair. i saw her work before, but she was so rough with me. my hair looked good when i left the shop, but i couldn't get my coils back for nothing or get rid of that burnt smell.

i wonder how is your hair doing now?

OP so sorry that happened to you. Not all Dominican Salons are rough and tuff. I have been getting blowouts WEEKLY for the last three years at a salon 45 minutes north of Silver Spring in Hagerstown,Md and my hair went from shoulder length to mbl in three years and its VERY healthy. The stylist is very gentle so I just think that the stylist that you got was just a bad stylist. Its not that blowouts are bad, its bad stylist!

I know this is old, but I'd also like to see how the OP's hair is doing now. And I'd like to know if you ever sued the salon.

I think you would have a case if the stylist actually improperly blow dried your hair. The hardest part would be proving it. Essentially the salon could argue that you assumed the risk of heat damage when you chose to allow them to put direct heat on your hair. I know that's probably been said before but I just want you to know that you CAN sue, it just doesn't mean you'll win.

Maybe if you establish that you were guaranteed that you would NOT incur heat damage, that would be a different situation. Or if you had video evidence of the stylist's improper technique. But it'll probably come down to he said/she said and I'm sure the stylist would find a boatload of "clients" who can attest to her expertise and professionalism.

Anyway, I think you learned a valuable lesson and a lot of other naturals have learned from you too. I'd suggest you try to hurt the salon by contacting the local news station or papers and spreading your experience to the masses. I'm sure the salon will be glad to work with you after some bad publicity. Good luck.

it is funny that this has been brought up again. My friend had the same thing happen to her about two months ago while visiting in DC. her girlfriend told her that this salon was all the crave and that she just had to get a db while visiting! She did and she had very similiar results that you had. Not everyone is qualified for doing hair, especially these dbs! to make a long story short, she took the lady to court and won $2700 in damages both emotional and physical. she was happy that she stood up for herself and was given her money back and then some. she said that the judge took one look at the before & after pics and clearly saw that this woman was not qualified. if you haven't sued yet, now is the time to do it! i believe that you will win! i know i would!

Back