Disappointed Dominican Blowout!!! Vent Part 2 - Very Pic Heavy

Hello!
Next time you (or anyone else on here) go to a Dominican salon MAKE SURE THEY ROLLER SET YOUR HAIR! If they want to blow dry your hair right after they wash and condition your hair, request to have your hair blow dried. If they won't do it. LEAVE the salon.

This happened to me and my hair was damaged. Two years of carefully pampering and taking care of my hair went down the drain. Don't let their spanish fool you, they understand you. So tell them what YOU want.

OP my only suggestion would be to stop wasting your time in this thread. You don't want to be irrate in court. At the end of the day, nothing said on this thread matters.

Actually it does. I took my wedding planner to court after ranting about her on a wedding website and she printed my comments out all out of context and tried to use them against me in court. She still lost, but I do think the judge was still a little prejudiced against me and didn't give me as large of a judgment as I wanted. I'm wondering if this is Jaselvis (the remix)?

I can tell you that in most Dominican salons, only one person is actually licensed and the rest of the people there are not properly trained. If more people sued dominican salons for the damage they cause, they'd be out of business. Their methods are a horrible way to take care of our hair. Don't look at the customers on their way out (when all the damage has been straightened and flattened to look "healthy" look at the hair of the regular customers (which is almost always busted up, pulled back) when they come in!

Hello!
Next time you (or anyone else on here) go to a Dominican salon MAKE SURE THEY ROLLER SET YOUR HAIR! If they want to blow dry your hair right after they wash and condition your hair, request to have your hair blow dried. If they won't do it. LEAVE the salon.

This happened to me and my hair was damaged. Two years of carefully pampering and taking care of my hair went down the drain. Don't let their spanish fool you, they understand you. So tell them what YOU want.

I wouldn't recommend this for naturals. They will RIP through your hair with that fine toothed comb.

I am so sorry this happened to you. The same thing happened to me about two years ago. Every chance I get I will dissuade anyone who is thinking about going to a Dominican salon, they literally fry your hair into submission.

I lost about 5" of hair, luckily I was able to nurse my hair back to health with a lot of protein treatments and moisture.

I am sure your hair will bounce back, just be patient and baby your hair with gentle hands.

I wouldn't recommend this for naturals. They will RIP through your hair with that fine toothed comb.

I think being from the West Coast, I never knew anything about DB until I looked at a few videos on Youtube recently. I was shocked how much heat was used from the blow dryer, ripping through the hair with fine tooth combs, all the pulling and tugging, etc that was done. After all of that, a flat iron is still used. What's the point of all that heated blow drying (and roller sets) in that case? I honestly cant see how any natural would agree to have that done. :nono: No ma'am!

Last edited:
Cherokee-n-Black you need to start a thread about this cause I want to know why you sued her... this sounds like a hot story...:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Actually it does. I took my wedding planner to court after ranting about her on a wedding website and she printed my comments out all out of context and tried to use them against me in court. She still lost, but I do think the judge was still a little prejudiced against me and didn't give me as large of a judgment as I wanted. I'm wondering if this is Jaselvis (the remix)?

I can tell you that in most Dominican salons, only one person is actually licensed and the rest of the people there are not properly trained. If more people sued dominican salons for the damage they cause, they'd be out of business. Their methods are a horrible way to take care of our hair. Don't look at the customers on their way out (when all the damage has been straightened and flattened to look "healthy" look at the hair of the regular customers (which is almost always busted up, pulled back) when they come in!

The few times I come over into the hair forum,there seems to always be some drama about these Dominican salons and BW, I wonder if Black American salons screwed up this much would people remain loyal to them. Ridiculous.

RossBoss

This is an old thread. I've been to Dominican salons in 3 states and never had a bad experience. I went to one salon here in Houston where they were a little rough detangling, but my other dozens of experiences were good.

The heat used by Dominican salons, in my experience, is not more than the blowfry and 450 degree flat iron in traditional AA salons.

I'm personally not loyal to any salon. There are rant threads all over LHCF about traditional AA salons, African hair braiding shops, unlicensed home stylists, basically stylists in general....

@Lovelylocs @Cherokee-n-Black

I'm laughing already because you are damn funny Cherokee-n-Black! I always enjoy your posts...so yes share girl shaaare!!!:lachen::lachen:

Oh lawd I wrote this epic post, and..something crazy happened and this thing deleted it! OK, Maybe that was the universe telling me it was too long. Two things you should know: One, I should have known something was wrong when she insisted on being paid in full prior to the day of the wedding, even though she was only providing day-of coordination and two, the whole reason I hired somebody to coordinate was to prevent what basically unfolds below:

OK, so short version. This "wedding planner" came on a recommendation of someone I trusted, but who had not worked with her before, only heard that she was good. I see why it was believable that this person actually knew how to plan a wedding, because she came off as professional and competent but here are the things she did wrong:

1) at the rehearsal, did not know which side was bride and which side was groom's.

2) did not know how many bridal party members we had and kept insisting we were one short. I had to explain it to her 3 times that there were an even number of males and females standing in front of her.

3) On the day of, ceremony started 45 minutes late, because an item that I forgot to bring needed to be on the altar--a fact she informed me of 15 minutes before start time (thank God I only lived 10 minutes away).

4) She miscued my music on both on the bridal entrance (music playing, no aisle runner brought down, no bride...uh...yeah) and our exit, which we exited to silence (well, people were clapping politely)

5) The venue's regular decorations were still up at the ceremony, so a potted geranium (red, dying) sits in the middle of my two column white orchid arrangements--in ALL the pics!

6) Lined up bridal party wrong for the introduction of Mr. and Mrs. for the first time in public at the reception.

7) Had the cake baker set the cake up in the hallway, after being told by said cake baker that the cake would need to be set up where it would be cut...um, yeah, that would not be the hallway...

8) No corsage for my mom, no boutonniere for dad. Now, we were able to fix the issue with my mom (my sisters did that, not the planner) and one of the bouttonieres broke. So my dad went without. I'm sorry, the father of the bride???? Not usher #2? The guy, walking the bride down the aisle, giving her away? No boutonniere?? OK...

9) The tablecloths on the reception tables were sloppy, dragging the ground, half-on, half off--looked like some ghetto fabulous church dinner.

Again, these are exactly the type of details that a wedding planner should be handling, but don't you know my friends and family had to fix (where the could) allll of this???

But now...allll of this, is not the reason I sued her. The reason I sued her is because when I followed up with her to find out what the [beep] happened, she told me "The wedding is over so our business relationship is over too, and I have no intention of discussing this with you further."

Oh...reeeeally? :pity:

Well, my guess is she wishes she had just gone ahead and had that 20-minute phone call to explain it to me, instead of a two-day small claims court hearing to explain it to a judge. In court, she basically lied (which oddly made me feel good, because then I knew she had no excuse and I was really in the right and not just a bridezilla) and printed out some stuff I wrote on a message board in response to people telling me I wouldn't win because the courts won't take it seriously.

She printed out the parts where I said it would be worth it just to drag her behind into court and deleted all the parts where I felt I had a valid claim, so she basically c&p'd what I wrote into a document to make it look like I was just trying to embarrass her. In a real court, this never would have been admissible evidence (I'm a lawyer, by the way) but in small claims, it's whatever's clever.

In the end. I won. Not a lot, but between the cursing out I gave the girl, the judge finding in my favor, and just the general knowledge of her complete wackness...I felt vindicated...sort of. :lol:

Soooo...to the OP, if you go this route, I do have some tips for how to be prepared and get your argument heard--and git yo' monay!

Oh lawd I wrote this epic post, and..something crazy happened and this thing deleted it! OK, Maybe that was the universe telling me it was too long. Two things you should know: One, I should have known something was wrong when she insisted on being paid in full prior to the day of the wedding, even though she was only providing day-of coordination and two, the whole reason I hired somebody to coordinate was to prevent what basically unfolds below:

OK, so short version. This "wedding planner" came on a recommendation of someone I trusted, but who had not worked with her before, only heard that she was good. I see why it was believable that this person actually knew how to plan a wedding, because she came off as professional and competent but here are the things she did wrong:

1) at the rehearsal, did not know which side was bride and which side was groom's.

2) did not know how many bridal party members we had and kept insisting we were one short. I had to explain it to her 3 times that there were an even number of males and females standing in front of her.

3) On the day of, ceremony started 45 minutes late, because an item that I forgot to bring needed to be on the altar--a fact she informed me of 15 minutes before start time (thank God I only lived 10 minutes away).

4) She miscued my music on both on the bridal entrance (music playing, no aisle runner brought down, no bride...uh...yeah) and our exit, which we exited to silence (well, people were clapping politely)

5) The venue's regular decorations were still up at the ceremony, so a potted geranium (red, dying) sits in the middle of my two column white orchid arrangements--in ALL the pics!

6) Lined up bridal party wrong for the introduction of Mr. and Mrs. for the first time in public at the reception.

7) Had the cake baker set the cake up in the hallway, after being told by said cake baker that the cake would need to be set up where it would be cut...um, yeah, that would not be the hallway...

8) No corsage for my mom, no boutonniere for dad. Now, we were able to fix the issue with my mom (my sisters did that, not the planner) and one of the bouttonieres broke. So my dad went without. I'm sorry, the father of the bride???? Not usher #2? The guy, walking the bride down the aisle, giving her away? No boutonniere?? OK...

9) The tablecloths on the reception tables were sloppy, dragging the ground, half-on, half off--looked like some ghetto fabulous church dinner.

Again, these are exactly the type of details that a wedding planner should be handling, but don't you know my friends and family had to fix (where the could) allll of this???

But now...allll of this, is not the reason I sued her. The reason I sued her is because when I followed up with her to find out what the [beep] happened, she told me "The wedding is over so our business relationship is over too, and I have no intention of discussing this with you further."

Oh...reeeeally? :pity:

Well, my guess is she wishes she had just gone ahead and had that 20-minute phone call to explain it to me, instead of a two-day small claims court hearing to explain it to a judge. In court, she basically lied (which oddly made me feel good, because then I knew she had no excuse and I was really in the right and not just a bridezilla) and printed out some stuff I wrote on a message board in response to people telling me I wouldn't win because the courts won't take it seriously.

She printed out the parts where I said it would be worth it just to drag her behind into court and deleted all the parts where I felt I had a valid claim, so she basically c&p'd what I wrote into a document to make it look like I was just trying to embarrass her. In a real court, this never would have been admissible evidence (I'm a lawyer, by the way) but in small claims, it's whatever's clever.

In the end. I won. Not a lot, but between the cursing out I gave the girl, the judge finding in my favor, and just the general knowledge of her complete wackness...I felt vindicated...sort of. :lol:

Soooo...to the OP, if you go this route, I do have some tips for how to be prepared and get your argument heard--and git yo' monay!

:clap: :clap: Thanks for posting!

I don't think it's fair to assume everyone knows a DB gives this kind of damage. Specially only done once. I'm not very experienced with heat but I don't think this should be something "expected" after one treatment. Here where I live (Brazil) the same technique is used (I watched the video), but no rollerset. They clip the hair up and stretch with a round brush, it used to be all people did until flat irons were more popular. I don't know if it is "extremely" hot though, but it isn't done on cool/warm settings.

I think the professional should know with how much heat (and force) the client's hair can be treated safely. Once my (white) friend went for highlights and the stylist mentioned her hair couldn't take all over bleaching (she didn't even ask), that to me shows they can know if something is gonna totally ruin the client's hair. Knowing your hair is fine she should have started with lower heat.

I think the professional should know with how much heat (and force) the client's hair can be treated safely. Once my (white) friend went for highlights and the stylist mentioned her hair couldn't take all over bleaching (she didn't even ask), that to me shows they can know if something is gonna totally ruin the client's hair. Knowing your hair is fine she should have started with lower heat.

Yeah the problem is that at a lot of these Dominican Salons the stylists don't assess your hair and/or give you a consultation before they begin working. They just dive right in.

Sashelvis Hair Salon

301-588-1669
938 Wayne Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910

Wow really Anna did this to you???? She is the owner and the only manager i know of. I have been going to her for at least 10 years. She is usually really good. She is the only 1 I allow to do my hair everyone else is to rough. I started going to her when I was natural and she really helped me grow my hair out.

I don't think it's fair to assume everyone knows a DB gives this kind of damage. Specially only done once. I'm not very experienced with heat but I don't think this should be something "expected" after one treatment. Here where I live (Brazil) the same technique is used (I watched the video), but no rollerset. They clip the hair up and stretch with a round brush, it used to be all people did until flat irons were more popular. I don't know if it is "extremely" hot though, but it isn't done on cool/warm settings.

I think it's more the case that MOST people don't realize how much damage a DB causes until it's too late (yes, I learned that one the hard way). I think this was already mentioned, but most of these dominican stylists are not professionals. They also have no interest in the health of your hair--only the look, which should be stick straight. This is a hard lesson to learn, but it bears repeating.

I am so sorry this happened to you.:sad: The only person I know who successfully sued anyone for their hair is Oprah Winfrey.

Let's focus on getting your hair back healthy. Besides the protein treatments, use regrowth oil recipes. You can find them here
http://hairrecipes.homestead.com/hairlossrecipes.html

For protein treatment, I use two egg yokes, one vitamin E capsule (clipped open and pour), 1 cup of my favorite conditioner, one table spoon of olive oil (jojoba is preferred), two or three tablespoons of green tea. Mix well, apply to my hair and put on a plastic cap. I usually leave it on for hours because I clean and do other things....

Next co-washing will probably be better than shampoo washing right now because soap tends to dry the hair out. That is not what you need right now. Use leave-In conditioners. If your hair feels dry during the week, apply more leave-in conditioner.... Keeping your hair moisturized is the most important thing right now.:yep:

Dom. blowouts are not good for naturals who want to keep their texture.:nono: They use super high heat to get the hair strait. I'm sorry this happened to you because your hair definitely looks heat damaged. Remember professional blow dryers are hotter than the ones sold in the store.:ohwell:

Back