Diary of a Tired Black Man

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Anybody see this ? There were good points made but the pseudo research sucked big time. Very unprofessional for such a supposedly big problem in the AA community. It was female bashing at it's slightly veiled best. The message was all over the place. His delivery of the message was horrid. Only thing I can see from this film is that my suspicions might be true - that Black men have a horrible problem owning up to responsibility, both for their relationships and in the care of their children. They don't seem to be able to look deeply into a situation and take some ownership of the problems.

As they were interviewing people about Angry Black Woman Syndrome, the typical male response was that Black women:

-say repeatedly that the Black man ain't shyte
-argue with their men when they come home and CREATE discord
-should shut their mouths for peace at home
-should give it up so they don't have to beg
-etc. as in every racist stereotype known to Black man/womankind

Now, there were people who made intelligent salient points, but these were often steered to support the "researcher's" hypothesis that the problem with male to female relationships in the Black community is the Black female. Almost every male referred to his significant other as "his woman." Not my partner, not my spouse, nor my wife, but "my woman. "

They even went so far as to include an African man who said that Black American women are too independent (uh, duh, dude, she's not from your country...duurrrrr) and don't know how to keep the peace. That it's very important for 2 parents to raise their children. They are not like African women who don't fight. Uh, okay. Yes, indeed, most American females, period, are not going to be a welcome mat for anybody. It's called human dignity, pride and respect. Skewed perception from Africans about non-Africans. Although both peoples have their own opinions about each other's group, this documentary didn't provide enough varied opinion.

I ask you, if so many perceive that Black women fight too much and that this is the reason they are alone, then how would that keep Black males from taking care of their responsibilities? Their children? And no, it's not fair to project stupid and ignorant behavior on the good guys, but part of the problem I perceive is that Black American women are the product of feminism and men have not allowed it to change their perceptions about the value of women, the other 1/2 of humanity.

Are Black men backwards? Do Black men expect a servant as opposed to a significant other as equal partner? Do they confuse subjugation to submission? Why are they expecting someone to submit to them? Do Black men respect women in general? Do Black men realize there is probably a reason for the anger they have caused in their communities with their negative and negligent attitudes? Are Black women truly and always at fault for this decline in healthy relationships? Is this a human problem rather than a Black problem?

My biggest question: For problematic Black women, which they often portrayed as the majority, is their problem that they were never raised with a father figure so they, and I quote, "don't know how a woman is to respond to her husband and be a good wife?" To me, the men in this documentary apparently subscribed to The Neanderthalic Times.

It's sad that this man has thought this much about these issues and only sees one side of it.

The females of which he speaks are but one side of a coin. They have male counterparts.
There is a male stereotype for every female stereotype, and societal/cultural issues that affect males and females both, that make them that way. Like you said, where's the ownership of their part of the equation? Do they know how to be a good hubby and father? It takes two parties to fight.

I think men like this (these supposedly educated, middle-class males who end up with hoodrats) need to check the criteria on which they select their "women."

You can't pick her solely for her a$$ and then wonder why her character and personality ain't right.

Last edited:
Back