Dating & Hiv Testing

Most clinics like planned parenthood itemize the STD testing into single panels—you can get a 5 panel or more. I know for a full panel in my area it will cost you about $150-200.

Just go on PP’s website make a list of all the STD’s and tell you which ones you want to get tested for.

As for your guy, if he doesn’t come with a panel of STD checks that are clear then put him back on the shelf. Period.

I cannot stress enough—you can cure some stuff and others you cannot. So it’s better to safeguard yourself than risk ruining your entire sex life over one dude. That’s a lot of good sexing to give up over taking a risk on one dude.

And it would be bad if his paynus game is horrible and he left you with an STD. :nono:

SO and I both were tested early on in our relationship (about a month in), he actually asked me for one and although I was young at the time (24) I didn't think anything of it.

The only thing that bothered me about the whole situation was I went out of town with my girls to the beach and he thought I was down there doing something. Which I wasn't so the topic pissed me off, but we both went to the dr and took the test and showed each other the results.

Being a healthcare worker, I just want to point out a couple things (that have been mentioned already, but it won't hurt to say it again). Asking someone you are dating to get tested is great. But there are two things to consider:

HIV takes up to 3-6 months to show up on tests...so if they slept with someone a month ago, they may have it, but still test negative.

Herpes is not usually a part of the "full" STD testing panel. I assume this is because so many people have it. But the scary part is that because it is not tested, many people don't know they have it. You can be asymptomatic and unaware that you are positive and still pass it on to others. Like HIV, herpes takes 3-6 months...if not longer, to show positive on a blood test. Condoms also do not provide adequate protection against herpes. You also don't need to have an outbreak to spread herpes.

Just be careful out there.

Thanks for this information. I was reading this thread with interest despite being celibate till marriage because it is important to protect ourselves. I also remember reading statistics and this didn't seem to match up with what some are saying as a measure of safety. I am glad that you are a healthcare worker and emphasized these statistics. That means when you meet a guy, after you both have agreed to be monogamous (which let's face it doesn't always happen at the beginning of a relationship), you should get tested but still not have sex 6 months and get retested for safety (that means no sex during that time if you want to be really safe) so that you can ensure the tests are accurate (for HIV and Herpes...which you've mentioned can take even longer). Then, of course you should stay protected (condoms) even after because you never know (when in relationships), and of course get tested afterwards. Is this safe to say your course of recommendation? Of course someone in my state (celibacy, etc) would make certain their partner is tested in the same manner before marriage (or sex or whatever). I know some will not follow this because of the timeline, but I am wondering if this would be "suggested" if society was not trying to be politically correct (worried about shaming, etc), but just to get out the safest info timeline possible. Granted, we are aware that no one is completely safe (except people like me right now who just aren't having sex period and that is not a forever thing...and even then freak accidents are known to happen [blood transfusions,etc] thus no one is ever completely safe of anything), and that even married people can have a spouse cheat and on and on, but I would think there are timelines that we can put in place (along with choosing a partner who wants to be monogamous), coupled with protection that can allow us to have the safest possible experience.

I'm thinking that there should be even higher and more testing in relationships because they are not long term commitments, and in marriage there should be periodical testing though ideally if they are not cheating there would be a lower chance. Everyone mentioning married couples, mentioned those who were newly weds or early in marriage. Sure, if you marry someone who is not tested, then guess what? But if you marry someone who is committed to you, and was tested before marriage, I would assume there is a lower risk of contracting HIV (though of course it is still possible). I guess the question is, what are the practices that lead to safer (and lower risk of HIV), and what are the relationships (according to statistics) and then gauging from there, along with having a timeline in place to (test) and protect yourself? For instance, when married you can test all you want but there has to be some trust involved (which is why I think some people are scared of that commitment in this day and era and will commit to kids before marriage) because you have to put your life (in some respect) in someone's hands. Why? Well how are you having kids if you are doing it the natural way? Well, you are going to have to not use protection. And even if he's tested (there is that 6 month window right)? So what are we going to do? Are we all going to go and have test tube kids to ensure our safety? Or are we going to assume that certain relationships hold more risk than others, and of course protect ourselves accordingly. I don't think the solution is to throw up our hands. I do think the solution is to choose wisely, and lower our risk in whatever way we deem suitable, and then to hope for the best (because there is no 100 percent safety unless we all becomes nuns and priests).

Last edited:
Thanks for this information. I was reading this thread with interest despite being celibate till marriage because it is important to protect ourselves. I also remember reading statistics and this didn't seem to match up with what some are saying as a measure of safety. I am glad that you are a healthcare worker and emphasized these statistics. That means when you meet a guy, after you both have agreed to be monogamous (which let's face it doesn't always happen at the beginning of a relationship), you should get tested but still not have sex 6 months and get retested for safety (that means no sex during that time if you want to be really safe) so that you can ensure the tests are accurate (for HIV and Herpes...which you've mentioned can take even longer). Then, of course you should stay protected (condoms) even after because you never know (when in relationships), and of course get tested afterwards. Is this safe to say your course of recommendation? Of course someone in my state (celibacy, etc) would make certain their partner is tested in the same manner before marriage (or sex or whatever). I know some will not follow this because of the timeline, but I am wondering if this would be "suggested" if society was not trying to be politically correct (worried about shaming, etc), but just to get out the safest info timeline possible. Granted, we are aware that no one is completely safe (except people like me right now who just aren't having sex period and that is not a forever thing...and even then freak accidents are known to happen [blood transfusions,etc] thus no one is ever completely safe of anything), and that even married people can have a spouse cheat and on and on, but I would think there are timelines that we can put in place (along with choosing a partner who wants to be monogamous), coupled with protection that can allow us to have the safest possible experience.

I'm thinking that there should be even higher and more testing in relationships because they are not long term commitments, and in marriage there should be periodical testing though ideally if they are not cheating there would be a lower chance. Everyone mentioning married couples, mentioned those who were newly weds or early in marriage. Sure, if you marry someone who is not tested, then guess what? But if you marry someone who is committed to you, and was tested before marriage, I would assume there is a lower risk of contracting HIV (though of course it is still possible). I guess the question is, what are the practices that lead to safer (and lower risk of HIV), and what are the relationships (according to statistics) and then gauging from there, along with having a timeline in place to (test) and protect yourself? For instance, when married you can test all you want but there has to be some trust involved (which is why I think some people are scared of that commitment in this day and era and will commit to kids before marriage) because you have to put your life (in some respect) in someone's hands. Why? Well how are you having kids if you are doing it the natural way? Well, you are going to have to not use protection. And even if he's tested (there is that 6 month window right)? So what are we going to do? Are we all going to go and have test tube kids to ensure our safety? Or are we going to assume that certain relationships hold more risk than others, and of course protect ourselves accordingly. I don't think the solution is to throw up our hands. I do think the solution is to choose wisely, and lower our risk in whatever way we deem suitable, and then to hope for the best (because there is no 100 percent safety unless we all becomes nuns and priests).

I don't want to scare people even more, but some people will always test negative for Herpes (unlike HIV), but still have it and be able to pass it on. Again condoms don't adequately protect you from herpes. I wish they would do more about it, but hey maybe they actually are working on finding a cure or vaccine and it is just not well known.

I honestly think people don't get tested because it takes the fun and spontaneity out of having sex. There's no one night stands, no "it just happened" when dating someone new. Some people need that unplanned, spontaneous sex-life and they don't think about the risk, they think about their "needs.". Then you have people who think they can look at someone and tell if they are STD free.

It is really up to you to decide how far you want to go to protect yourself. The least you can do is protect yourself from the more lethal STD which is HIV. You have that 6 month window, but a test at 3 months is considered conclusive for a person who is not immunocompromised. Also, condoms are considered an acceptable form of protection from HIV. No one wants herpes, but it is definitely not nearly as bad as HIV.

Back