Dating a bestfriend's Ex?

That's a no-no. The only remote exception is if you started dating him and did not know he use to date your BFF. Then Maybe you can evaluate if he is worth it ....

I wouldn't do that to a best friend personally. That's just too weird IMO. :nono: Even if she were fine with it.

But what about if the girl wasn't your best friend? What if she were simply an acquaintance? And her ex pursued YOU...not the other way around? I'm trying to figure out what the boundaries are, because if it's the case that all guys are off-limits if they used to date ANY woman that you know, then that would rule out a LOT of potential guys! :(

To me a friend is a friend, best friend just makes it worst because you put each other's friendship on a higher scale.

Well I for sure wouldn't do that to any friend at this point in my life, what about someone you chill with kinda like an acquaintance?

I wouldn't do that to a best friend personally. That's just too weird IMO. :nono: Even if she were fine with it.

But what about if the girl wasn't your best friend? What if she were simply an acquaintance? And her ex pursued YOU...not the other way around? I'm trying to figure out what the boundaries are, because if it's the case that all guys are off-limits if they used to date ANY woman that you know, then that would rule out a LOT of potential guys! :(
An aquaintance doesn't count if we just knew each other well enough to speak then oh well.

I'm dating my best friend's ex, shes coming to terms with it & I've nver been happier.They went out years ago (back in the day like 9th grade; we're almost juniors in college btw) and she never really told any of us about the relationship (for reasons unknown). Him & I on the other hand have been friends for almost 4 years now and we've always had this silly joke that if we were both 23 or so and single, we'd just marry each other. Who knew it would really come true?

When it first started, I was just sick to my stomach over the whole thing. How could this happen? Is this worth it? Should I tell her I like him? It started getting so deep that we just ended up telling her we were interested in each other. She was taken aback, but she knew that I would never make a decision like that without putting some serious thought into it. Now, shes okay with it. I mean, they were 14 years old, you know? I love her and she will always be my sister but I don't think I've ever been so comfortable and happy with anyone else. He truly gets me, LHCF obsessed & all and I'm greatful that it all worked out.

I think that some people are meant to be together and sometimes you have to struggle a bit to get what you want. If you have a best friend who is willing to see you happy and put his/her insecurities aside for you, then thats a great thing.

Well my friends and I have very different tastes in men. Honestly though, I have different views on the subject.

If it were an intense, serious relationship that ended rough, then NO WAY!

But most of the guys I dated were short term relationships that ended pretty decent, and we are good friends today. I'd have no problem with my friends dating them, cause there are no feelings there and they are NOT MY TYPE anymore (were never really my type while we were dating). I've tried playing matchmaker...but my friends don't find these guys attractive cause of our different tastes.

I'd be upset with friends dating guys I dated while I knew them. But most of my exes came well before I met any of the friends I have today. I know most of my exes are good guys, and the relationship didn't work out because we were not good for one another. If I think they'll find what they are looking for in my good friends, heck...go for it.

But this is generally why I don't keep too many female friends anyway. This "unwritten rule" only leads to drama. The fewer female friends you have, the more men you'll have access to dating without worrying about someone else's feelings.

However, I never had sex with any of my exes, so I guess that plays a part as well.

I have never been in this situation but I wonder are people denying themselves of happiness because of this "rule"?

I am not saying your friend is dating a guy and you are there all throughout the relationship and if they break up you two get together, I agree that is grimey. However if it was years ago and everyone has moved on, how can anyone make rules about someone in their past, never really understood that part. :perplexed

If we are just acquaintances that's different. People I know have dated my exes, but I don't care because we were just cool. As long as he is completely finished with her, I would date him.

I'm dating my best friend's ex, shes coming to terms with it & I've nver been happier.They went out years ago (back in the day like 9th grade; we're almost juniors in college btw) and she never really told any of us about the relationship (for reasons unknown). Him & I on the other hand have been friends for almost 4 years now and we've always had this silly joke that if we were both 23 or so and single, we'd just marry each other. Who knew it would really come true?

When it first started, I was just sick to my stomach over the whole thing. How could this happen? Is this worth it? Should I tell her I like him? It started getting so deep that we just ended up telling her we were interested in each other. She was taken aback, but she knew that I would never make a decision like that without putting some serious thought into it. Now, shes okay with it. I mean, they were 14 years old, you know? I love her and she will always be my sister but I don't think I've ever been so comfortable and happy with anyone else. He truly gets me, LHCF obsessed & all and I'm greatful that it all worked out.

I think that some people are meant to be together and sometimes you have to struggle a bit to get what you want. If you have a best friend who is willing to see you happy and put his/her insecurities aside for you, then thats a great thing.

Well, I still say NOPE! I happened to marry the man I dated when I was 14. I've loved him ever since I was 8. Pretty much if your soul mate happens to have been someone I dated....then TOUGH! Maybe next lifetime you can get it right!:lachen::lachen:

At this point really, I don't care cuz' I've got my own blessing....but rules are rules.

I would never do that to someone. However, two of the people I talked about in the last thread that I cut off did. A girl I thought was my friend was intimate with a male friend of mine. Both of them had to go. Both have tried apologizing and still call/text, but I don't have anything to do with them.

There are TOO MANY FLIPPING men in the world, for you to need to date your best friend's ex :rolleyes:. If he was the last man in the world then maybe.

I don't think any man is worth any drama. If dating him means DRAMA in any form or fashion then he is NOT my soulmate.

I wish my best friend would try that mess :evillaugh:

I think it would depend on the situation, but I could do it. Maybe if my bf had only been on one or two dates and didn't like the guy, but I had amazing chemistry, it would be o.k. However, if they had had a real relationship, I don't think i could go through with it.

There are TOO MANY FLIPPING men in the world, for you to need to date your best friend's ex :rolleyes:. If he was the last man in the world then maybe.

I don't think any man is worth any drama. If dating him means DRAMA in any form or fashion then he is NOT my soulmate.

Thank you!!!!!!!!

If you even had to ask then yall aren't best friends.

thank you.
i would never do that. i would never ask and all my friends, best frriends and associates no that if they date my ex they betta keep it a secret because i would beat that a##. i dont play with that for a number of reasons

Nope, this is not okay. I had a friend how tried to do this, and all I could think was that she was probably trying or did sleep with him while we were togeter. Needless to say, she got let go.

I don't do friends or family!:nono: I feel like my game is so tight till I can easily go out and find me a man. I also don't like other people leftovers or something they sampled especially close friends and family.A lot of women think that every man is within limits to them even if its their close associates. So sad but to each he/her own. I would never disrespect the game like that. My own cousin had the nerves to sleep with her own sister's ex who was once pregnant by the guy and all. How dreadful and Boopish!!!!:angry2: I recognize that we are different but dang talk about no respect or morals in my honest opinion. :::shrugs:::

I'm glad your situation had a positive outcome for you

I have never been in this situation but I wonder are people denying themselves of happiness because of this "rule"?

I am not saying your friend is dating a guy and you are there all throughout the relationship and if they break up you two get together, I agree that is grimey. However if it was years ago and everyone has moved on, how can anyone make rules about someone in their past, never really understood that part. :perplexed

Girl this is why...like I said...I leave women alone. I have a handful of female friends I am cool with, other than that...I am only on acquaintance level. I never understood why my mother kept her distance from women. There are just too many rules when it comes to female friendships. I don't want to betray someone, and I don't want them to do that to me. So I stick with my fellas.

Dig this. . .

It is morally wrong! If you plan on having a friendship with the girl for years to come, then hell to the naw! DONT even ask! The fact that you ask is insult to your friend. I had a friend ask me this once, we were like in 8th grade and then I had no REAL love for the guy but had some schoolgirl crush
on him still. I felt bold but I thought This girl is my friend and up until now we going to be friends later plus I thought sure you can date him but he gone play you like he played me, and he did. Me and her are still friends, it was childish

The point is as adults with grown minds think about the outcome! I admit I'm guilty of this, but the girl was a flake and I could not see me and her as friends down the line that plus I fell in love, unexpectantingly(sp?) and it was a choice I made lose a negative gain a positive. But know what goes around comes around!

THERE IT IS!:yep:

Back