Curly Girl (CG) Challenge

[USER=302367 said:
thecurlycamshow[/USER];16315253]I am cowashing still and using the CG method. Since my hair is fully hydrated I cowash 3+ times a week instead of 5+ times. If you're starting the CG method, my advice is to keep it simple and you'll enjoy it. Too many products will make it overwhelming after time. HHG!!!

Fully Hydrated - that's good news. How long did it take you to get to that point? Do you remember?

I've been CG for roughly 5 years. Actually, modified CG, as I sometimes like to clarify. I've been doing it so long, I don't even think about it. It just is.

A few months ago I tried Tresemme Split Remedy conditioner...just to see how it would make my hair feel, knowing it's filled with cones. I swear no sooner did I apply it to my hair, than I immediately rinsed it out, then clarified. My hair felt coated and suffocated. Just confirmation that I will never use cones again.

Has anyone used curly girl method with the terresentials mud wash? If so, what conditioner do you use?

I'm in the CoWash Challenge on LHCF and we have to post pics. I have kinky, coily, type 4 whatever hair and the CG method has worked wonders for my hair. I easily finger detangle at my roots which was a :nono: before this method.

Attachments

• 070112 Length Check.JPG
    070112 Length Check.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 37
[USER=53565 said:
MsAminta[/USER];16320185]Has anyone used curly girl method with the terresentials mud wash? If so, what conditioner do you use?

I have used Tresemme Naturals, Giovanni SAS and Deva Curl One.

Just treat it as a regular wash, no different than any other.

[USER=302367 said:
thecurlycamshow[/USER];16321447]I'm in the CoWash Challenge on LHCF and we have to post pics. I have kinky, coily, type 4 whatever hair and the CG method has worked wonders for my hair. I easily finger detangle at my roots which was a :nono: before this method.

I am still new to the CG method. I am on week 8 and feeling my way through. I also have type 4 hair and could do nothing with my roots when I first started. I could literally feel the hair ripped out when I first tried it.

Tonight, I didn't even think twice about detangling my roots :yay: My crown still needs some work but the rest is easy to detangle.

I got all of my Deva Curl products today: Deva Care One, Deva Curl One and the B'Leave In. I cowashed with the Deva Care One. It wil take some getting used to. Then I put Deva Curl One on each section. I haven't figured out how to use this B'Leave in or the Gel. I've never worn a wash and go and I never use gel :ohwell: I think I will just wait until I go for my consultation to let him show me.

I did try some on different sections. I am actually letting sections of my hair air dry untwisted :look: I would have never tried this before. But my hair feels so soft tonight.

I am still new to the CG method. I am on week 8 and feeling my way through. I also have type 4 hair and could do nothing with my roots when I first started. I could literally feel the hair ripped out when I first tried it.

Tonight, I didn't even think twice about detangling my roots :yay: My crown still needs some work but the rest is easy to detangle.

That's awesome! :yep: It took me a while too since I never finger detangled at my roots prior to this method.

My official 8 week statement. I have achieved more with Curly Girl in 8 weeks than I have achieved doing anything else in 2 years.

Think I want to try....my hair is thirsty. Is the point to wear wng or can this be done in twists?

The whole point of CG method is to basically get your hair hydrated and try to avoid certain things that can contribute to making your hair dry.

• I have a question, someone posted an article about glycerine products causing split ends and breakage . Think i read the article on curly nikki and it was posted here. It stated its best not to use during the summer due to dew piont and humid conditions. Have anyone of you experienced this? was about to order the devacurl products but i see it is high on the list like 1st or second on the list

I read Lorraine's book and plan to begin next week...how many of you cut your hair before beginning? How do you incorporate protein? Styling? I want to wear twists...but it seems I need to comb/detangle each wash session.

I read Lorraine's book and plan to begin next week...how many of you cut your hair before beginning? How do you incorporate protein? Styling? I want to wear twists...but it seems I need to comb/detangle each wash session.

check out heyfranhey on youtube. She has some great, clear videos. After she detangles her hair, she prepoos with conditioner and uses a protein like GPB for this step.

As far as the twists, I've started wearing twists. I dont see why you shouldn't be able to. And if you want to wear them longer than your wash cycle, just detangle when you taken them down

My official 8 week statement. I have achieved more with Curly Girl in 8 weeks than I have achieved doing anything else in 2 years.

I concur...my hair is so much more manageable and moisturized now. I can wear a wash and go for 5 and 6 days and it still look good.

• I have a question, someone posted an article about glycerine products causing split ends and breakage . Think i read the article on curly nikki and it was posted here. It stated its best not to use during the summer due to dew piont and humid conditions. Have anyone of you experienced this? was about to order the devacurl products but i see it is high on the list like 1st or second on the list

I thought it was the opposite and the glycerin didn't work well in the winter. I have been using the Long Aid Activator Gel which is high in glycerin and my hair loves it.

I concur...my hair is so much more manageable and moisturized now. I can wear a wash and go for 5 and 6 days and it still look good.

Co-signing. I BC'd January 1st and washed my hair with shampoo immediately afterwards, I struggled with dryness an entire month before the light bulb went off and I threw out the shampoo. My hair has since done a 180...it's CG 4 life now. :look:

Just getting back from vacation so skipped a lot of cowashing :nono: Wore a puff for 4 or 5 days :nono: But without the CG method I would not have even been able to do that before. And I would have been terrified to wet my hair every day. But after that week without cowashing, I now know that my hair needs to be cowashed at least every other day for now. It can stay hydrated for about 24 to 48 hours before it starts asking for water.

But my puff was very soft. So will stick with the cg method.

Alrighty...giving this a shot. Shampooed for the last time today. Conditioned with AOHSR for an hr, lightly rinsed, put in a leave-in, sealed with oil, twisted.

Plan to Cowash Wednesday and Friday. How does that sound?

[USER=98259 said:
gvin89[/USER];16364499]Alrighty...giving this a shot. Shampooed for the last time today. Conditioned with AOHSR for an hr, lightly rinsed, put in a leave-in, sealed with oil, twisted.

Plan to Cowash Wednesday and Friday. How does that sound?

You don't have to skip shampooing. That is a misconception. Curly Girl is no sulfate shampoos. Use a non-sulfate shampoo or a botanical cleanser. If you don't want to shampoo that's fine but that has nothing to do with curly girl.

Conditioning with AOHSR is fine. All the rest is fine. You will have to modify that as you go based on your results.

Are you cowashing 2x a week or 3x a week? Either is fine. Was just curious.

Upon further research, I am pretty sure that I am already doing the curly girl method.

The only shampoos I use are sulfate free, I'm currently using the JBCO shampoo.

I co-wash with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, their Tee Tree conditioner and VO5 moisture milks mixed with olive oil.
I DC with Shea Moisture or AO HSR or GPB
I use Shea Moisture as a leave in.
I use various oils to seal, castor, sweet almond, Coconut.
I henna and use Ayurveda powders.

Last edited:
I thought it was the opposite and the glycerin didn't work well in the winter. I have been using the Long Aid Activator Gel which is high in glycerin and my hair loves it.

*Frisky* although I have not had any problems with glycerin I have notice with most of the curly products it is second after the water. until someone said something about glycerin I would not have checked all my products.

Back