Curly Girl (CG) Challenge

[USER=302367 said:
thecurlycamshow[/USER];15604375]I am really enjoying this method. I can't wait until the weather is consistently warm so I can wash my hair in the mornings and leave with wet hair.

Are you still doing CG and are you washing everyday?

[USER=10022 said:
blazingthru[/USER];14731463]what happen to this thread did everyone throw in the towel. I have started doing this method and Its an adjustment. But I love how curly and silky feeling my hair is and how I don't have to do much to it anymore. Its really very simple. I am gonig to go for a year and see how it works, but just from reading others results and seeing videos on youtube, i think it will work. So far so good.
I purchased about 8 bottles of Tresseme because it was easy to get to for now I am going to use them all up. I gave up all. ALL my other products and just keeping this and the mud, I plan to wash my hair once a month. I plan to co wash once a month. I plan to deep condition twice a month.
I am hoping I get growth without thinking about it. Its been a few weeks.

You were going to do this for a year. Are you still doing this? How is it going?

You were going to do this for a year. Are you still doing this? How is it going?

Yes, I am still doing the CG method, I love it I wish I had more time to concentrate on it. I think it would work better if I did but I don't. I get out the shower and put the conditioner in and go. I need to stop and take more time with the conditioner. But I just haven't had the time, But I love the CG it works. The front of my hair,which is the hardest to grow, has started to grow. I need a trim, I am going to do it myself. My hair has grown and if I spend more time on it, it would grow faster. So I am sticking with it because it really works for me. I love it very much.

I wish there were more people doing it and posting about their results. I can't do pictures anymore. My daughters refuse to take my picture and so sooner or later I will get around to it.

But I been making good progress.

Yes, I am still doing the CG method, I love it I wish I had more time to concentrate on it. I think it would work better if I did but I don't. I get out the shower and put the conditioner in and go. I need to stop and take more time with the conditioner. But I just haven't had the time, But I love the CG it works. The front of my hair,which is the hardest to grow, has started to grow. I need a trim, I am going to do it myself. My hair has grown and if I spend more time on it, it would grow faster. So I am sticking with it because it really works for me. I love it very much.

I wish there were more people doing it and posting about their results. I can't do pictures anymore. My daughters refuse to take my picture and so sooner or later I will get around to it.

But I been making good progress.

Thanks for responding. Glad its working out well. And good to know it still works even if we don't have time to give to it :yep:

I used the DevaCurl One Condition again today....i co washed with it first just to see if it would tingle...it didn't...so i layered my Suave Mango Mandarin on top of it and finished co washing with that. Then i used it to detangle and as a leave in. This stuff definitely has some sort of protein in it...if it's the hops then that must be it! My hair looks super curly today...a little curlier than i'm accustomed to...my hair is all the way up to my chin!! And stretched/straightened out i'm almost BSL.

CurlyHead3.jpg

CurlyHead4.jpg

SO much shrinkage today! I'm used to it sitting a little lower with a little more weight to it:ohwell: That's what protein does to my hair. Plus my strands feel harder than usual.

Last night I prepooed with Tresemme Naturals to soften my hair a bit. I rinsed and washed with the Deva Curl No Poo. I DCd with the Deva Curl Heaven In Hair, smoothed it in, massaged it into my scalp and sat under my heat cap for 20 minutes. I added water and more conditioner to each section and to my ends and smoothed again. I sat under my heat cap for another 20 minutes. I rinsed, applied the Deva One Conditioner and the Angel to each section and put my hair into flat twists.

Tonights supposed to be my cowash night but I will skip it and pick up again tomorrow.

It's too early to tell whether my hair likes the products or not. Hopefully I will know in a few more weeks.

Not a bad CG day but no fireworks either. I think my honey/EVOO treatment and the Deva Curl Heaven in Hair DC did help some. I guess I'm still learning alot. I probably should apply the Deva One when wet and then let it dry a bit before applying any styling product or before styling.

Still trying to figure out a good way to cowash daily or every other day. Going to try it this week.

faithVA is the Heaven in Hair moisturizing? I think i wanna try that too...idk DevaCurl stuff ain't too bad....but i definitely i have to alternate with something more on the moisture side to make sure my hair doesn't get over strengthened.

[USER=45347 said:
SmilingElephant[/USER];16254457]@faithVA is the Heaven in Hair moisturizing? I think i wanna try that too...idk DevaCurl stuff ain't too bad....but i definitely i have to alternate with something more on the moisture side to make sure my hair doesn't get over strengthened.

It has protein in it. I haven't really found a DC without it.

My hair is so dry right now its hard for me to tell you truthfully whether it is moisturizing right now. I do now it softens my hair up quite a bit. And I think my hair is a bit more hydrating.

I would need to use it a lot longer before I could give you a real answer.

It has protein in it. I haven't really found a DC without it.

My hair is so dry right now its hard for me to tell you truthfully whether it is moisturizing right now. I do now it softens my hair up quite a bit. And I think my hair is a bit more hydrating.

I would need to use it a lot longer before I could give you a real answer.

Okay:yep: I'll wait on you verdict before i drop the money for it.:grin:

I want to stop using shampoo, but I don't think I can get my scalp clean without it. I only use it every two weeks, I co-wash other wise. I workout 5 days per week and I sweat a lot so I feel like my scalp needs a good scrubbing at least twice per month. I'm only using Shea Moisture shampoo right now, on my scalp only, I try to avoid my hair. I'm interested in going low / no poo but how do I prevent build up on my scalp?

I want to stop using shampoo, but I don't think I can get my scalp clean without it. I only use it every two weeks, I co-wash other wise. I workout 5 days per week and I sweat a lot so I feel like my scalp needs a good scrubbing at least twice per month. I'm only using Shea Moisture shampoo right now, on my scalp only, I try to avoid my hair. I'm interested in going low / no poo but how do I prevent build up on my scalp?

This is me! I'm sorry but i have to use some sort of shampoo on my scalp at some point!:nono: I've tried different sulfate free shampoos and they just do not get it clean enough. I have an oily scalp and it gets dirty fast.

The last time i used a sulfate free shampoo...even after a good scrubbing...i still had dirt and buildup under my finger nail and my head was still itchy!!!:barf:

I just been using a lower sulfate shampoo every 2 weeks and i co-wash almost daily.

@[URL="http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=17100" said:
AtlantaJJ[/URL];16254589]I want to stop using shampoo, but I don't think I can get my scalp clean without it. I only use it every two weeks, I co-wash other wise. I workout 5 days per week and I sweat a lot so I feel like my scalp needs a good scrubbing at least twice per month. I'm only using Shea Moisture shampoo right now, on my scalp only, I try to avoid my hair. I'm interested in going low / no poo but how do I prevent build up on my scalp?

Why do you feel you need to stop using shampoo?

Why not keep using the Shea Moisture shampoo? Isn't it sulfate free?

I say if it works for I would stick with it. Curly Girl doesn't really call for going without shampoo. It just calls for going with a non sulfate shampoo. Otherwise if you don't use a shampoo they recommend a botanical conditioner for cleansing.

I use the Deva Curl No Poo which is still a shampoo. I think you are already on the right track.

Last edited:
Why do you feel you need to stop using shampoo?

Why not keep using the Shea Moisture shampoo? Isn't it sulfate free?

Yes, Shea Moisture is sulfate free. I just hear so many people say they get excellent results after going poo free, I thought I'd give it a try. However I don't think most people sweat as much as I do, especially this time of the year.

This is me! I'm sorry but i have to use some sort of shampoo on my scalp at some point!:nono: I've tried different sulfate free shampoos and they just do not get it clean enough. I have an oily scalp and it gets dirty fast.

The last time i used a sulfate free shampoo...even after a good scrubbing...i still had dirt and buildup under my finger nail and my head was still itchy!!!:barf:

I just been using a lower sulfate shampoo every 2 weeks and i co-wash almost daily.

I actually love the way my scalp feels after a good shampoo. I never have dandruff or itching either.

Trying out different combinations. Have some conditioners in my stash so want to see how they work.

Cowashed with Taliah Waajid herbal conditioner. Didn't like it for cowashing and wasn't going to use it for DCing so tossed it.

Prepooed with Tresemme Naturals and cowashed with a sample size of Giovanni Smooth as Silk. My hair felt so good and was easy to finger detangle. So I went out and bought a full size bottle. I tried it again and thought maybe I should skip the prepoo.

So skipped the prepoo today and water rinsed and cowashed with Giovanni SAS. Think that worked out better. My hair felt very good

Getting more selective about my conditioners. So going to give away the Tresemme Naturals and Yes to Carrots if I can.

Never thought I would enjoy cowashing.

One of the main things I want to be able to do when I get through 12 weeks of curly girl, is not do a WNG but to be able to wash my hair in twists :lol: I know for some people that's nothing. But my hair either unravels or matts and turns into a huge afro of fuzz when I put any type of water on it. But if I could put in a set of twist and cowash a few times a week and leave them in for a few weeks, I would be in heaven. :yep:

I've been doing a really modified modifed version of CG. I'm hoping to go all the way...soon.

Currently my reggie is:

Cowash every 3-4 days with V05
Style with Tresemme Natuals and KCCC
Shampoo once a wk with with Abba Botanica or Tresemme Naturals
Protein: every 2 weeks with Joico K Pak Reconstructor
Deep Conditoner: Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment

I'd really like to eliminate shampoo. I find that even the ones I use above kinda dry my hair and tangle it (although my scalp gets clean). And while I love the Joico MR, I feel like it doesn't really rinse from my hair.

So I really need to find a cone free deep conditioner and a no poo that my hair likes. I see some of you use Deva low/no poo. I was also considering Curl Junkie Cleansing Cream (I really loved Blended Beauty Soy Cream Shampoo- it sooo didn't feel like shampoo but I purchase most of my products from sleekhair.com and I don't want to have to get stuff from different places).

I've been doing the curly girl since the end of April and I am in LOVE. My routine is:
-DC w/ Aubrey Organics GPB or HSR
-Cowash and finger detangle w/ Tresemme NM
-Stretch in twist and curl w/ Oyin Hair Dew and Burnt Sugar Pomade

I pretty much follow the method except I use castor oil and stay the hell away from wash and goes. Once a month I use diluted apple cider vinegar to clarify.

I no longer fear wash days! My whole routine is so easy that I can actually do it twice a week. I also noticed that my hair has more movement, moisture and shine w/ CG.

Thing is with cowashes i don't feel like i cleaned my hair ,i tried it a couple of times but what i find is that i ll end up washing it more than once a week and as a result my hair starts shedding , gets dull and matte.

Thing is with cowashes i don't feel like i cleaned my hair ,i tried it a couple of times but what i find is that i ll end up washing it more than once a week and as a result my hair starts shedding , gets dull and matte.

You don't have to cowash. That is a misperception with curly girl.

Wash your hair (no sulfate or botanical cleanser)
Condition your hair (silicon free conditioner, botanical if you can get it)
Use a leave-in (conditioner or other)
Use gel if you like for styling.

Use your fingers for combing and styling.

That's curly girl.

I needed to ask you all who think this is a wig? To me it looks like a half wig because the top of her hair does not look like the rest of the texture. They are saying they love what uncle funky's daughter did to her hair and it does not look like her real hair to me.

Attachments

• uncle funky.jpg
    uncle funky.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 76
The top of her seems the same to me, just turned up. The parts of her hair closest to the scalp on (her) right side look very similar to the turned up hair.

Colored my hair tonight and then DCd with Deva Curl Heaven In Hair, then cowashed with Giovanni SAS and used Deva Curl One as my leave-in. I'm almost at the end of my Giovanni SAS :sad: My Deva Care stuff should be here tomorrow. I hope I like it as much as I like the Giovanni.

I needed to ask you all who think this is a wig? To me it looks like a half wig because the top of her hair does not look like the rest of the texture. They are saying they love what uncle funky's daughter did to her hair and it does not look like her real hair to me.

Well, as someone who has two drastically different textures on her head, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt. My back curls into lovely 4a ringlets while the top and front have that fuzzy no curl 4b look. Yeah, it's jacked up, but it's fer real.:ohwell:

Are you still doing CG and are you washing everyday?

I am cowashing still and using the CG method. Since my hair is fully hydrated I cowash 3+ times a week instead of 5+ times. If you're starting the CG method, my advice is to keep it simple and you'll enjoy it. Too many products will make it overwhelming after time. HHG!!!

I have to post pictures but I retained between 1.25" (shortest) to 2" of length using the CG method. I'm not on a growth challenge but I'm happy my hair is getting healthier using this method.

Back