Curly Girl (CG) Challenge

@faithVA thanx for your prompt response! I feel that my hair is ripping from both the roots and ends. In some parts of my hair, I have 1-2 inches of heat damaged ends (as I assessed last night) so I know my ends are weak and can break easily but my hair ripping from the roots worries me. I'll try your recommendations and see how it works for me. Thanx again!

When your hair is even partially hydrated at the roots, your fingers will glide through your hair with little problem.

I posted about what I did my first few weeks of CG girl in my blog.

If after 4 weeks your roots aren't getting softer, you may not be leaving your conditioner on long enough, working it well enough, using too much protein or you need a better conditioner.

faithVA said:
I know you weren't addressing me but just offering a suggestion. Whenever purchasing or considering purchasing something read the ingredients on the back or research them online. Silicones all have "cone" at the end. Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Amodimethicone

[*]Cyclomethicone is one of the most commonly used silicones in hair care. It's a volatile silicone, which means it evaporates and won't build up on your hair. It gives a silky, smooth feel and leaves the hair with incredible slip when wet and is found in both leave-on and rinse-off products.

[*]Dimethicone Copolyol is a water-soluble, lightweight silicone that provides very little buildup. It is often used in conditioning shampoos.

[*]Amodimethicone (or silicones that have "amo", "amine" or "amino" in their name) is a different kind of silicone that is chemically modified to stick to your hair better. That means it conditions well but it can also be more challenging to remove. Amodimethicone is commonly used in leave-in conditioners.

[*]Dimethicone is sometimes referred to as a silicone oil. Dimethicone coats hair, providing great shine and conditioning to the hair. However, because it's so water insoluble, it can be difficult to remove. Additionally, this heavy coating is more likely to attract dirt and pollutants from the air, making the hair feel weighed down. Dimethicone is often found in serums and other leave-on products

Omg thanx so much I really am goin be reading all of my conditioners like if I had a quiz on it the next day lol ,by the way I love ur genuine character in the apl thread. Maybe next year I can join this challenge I just don't kno how to incorporate it in my regimen yet I only started my hj in Jan2012.. And u can basically say I'm trying to use up all the stuff that I jumped on the bandwagon with that was not natural smh .so when I get some money ima def buy all the natural products u guys rave about on this forum,anyway thanks again

Omg thanx so much I really am goin be reading all of my conditioners like if I had a quiz on it the next day lol ,by the way I love ur genuine character in the apl thread. Maybe next year I can join this challenge I just don't kno how to incorporate it in my regimen yet I only started my hj in Jan2012.. And u can basically say I'm trying to use up all the stuff that I jumped on the bandwagon with that was not natural smh .so when I get some money ima def buy all the natural products u guys rave about on this forum,anyway thanks again

Awww, Thanks hairqueen7.

Just a warning when you start reading the ingredients and you decide there are things you don't want in your products, um, yeah, you will find there is little to buy :lol:

And the natural kick may not be for you. There are lots of healthy heads on the board that use all types of products. I switched to natural because I have scalp issues I was trying to clear up and I noticed that my entire body is really sensitive to things. So its more of a necessity (sp) for me.

Whether you go natural ingredients or not, if a product doesn't work for your hair, please throw it out or give it away, instead of destroying your hair because you spent $10 on something. I know we work hard for our money but we work hard for our hair too :lol:

Good luck on your hair journey. You will do fine.

faithVA said:
Awww, Thanks hairqueen7.

Just a warning when you start reading the ingredients and you decide there are things you don't want in your products, um, yeah, you will find there is little to buy :lol:

And the natural kick may not be for you. There are lots of healthy heads on the board that use all types of products. I switched to natural because I have scalp issues I was trying to clear up and I noticed that my entire body is really sensitive to things. So its more of a necessity (sp) for me.

Whether you go natural ingredients or not, if a product doesn't work for your hair, please throw it out or give it away, instead of destroying your hair because you spent $10 on something. I know we work hard for our money but we work hard for our hair too :lol:

Good luck on your hair journey. You will do fine.

Yea u right sometimes I just feel like I'm.missing.out on something.good if I don't use.the high end products but to be honest with you and myself the bss products that's close to natural actually works beautifully in my.hair with some evco and I'm good

Hey ladies!:hiya:

Well I must say this thread has been informative and I've decided to join in. I was on the search for a regimen for the MBL challenge and think that the no/low-poo way seems like it would be best for my hair. It just makes a lot of sense to me. I am going to take down my twists tonight, shampoo, dust my hair for split ends, moisturize and seal. I am going to be using Garnier Pure Clean Fortifying Conditioner and I also bought their Triple Nutrition Nutrient Spray.

I have not read the whole thread yet but I have one question...how do I go about moisturizing and sealing? What products would be best? Ok that is two questions. :look: I will be wearing my hair in protective styles most of the time because I want to retain the maximum amount of length.

^Hey:)

For me, i don't moisture and seal anymore like i did when i was relaxed.

When i leave in my conditioner and put my style on top and maybe an oil....that's my moisturizing and sealing. I only M&S the common way if in doing multiple day curls.

Hey ladies!:hiya:

Well I must say this thread has been informative and I've decided to join in. I was on the search for a regimen for the MBL challenge and think that the no/low-poo way seems like it would be best for my hair. It just makes a lot of sense to me. I am going to take down my twists tonight, shampoo, dust my hair for split ends, moisturize and seal. I am going to be using Garnier Pure Clean Fortifying Conditioner and I also bought their Triple Nutrition Nutrient Spray.

I have not read the whole thread yet but I have one question...how do I go about moisturizing and sealing? What products would be best? Ok that is two questions. :look: I will be wearing my hair in protective styles most of the time because I want to retain the maximum amount of length.

How dare you ask 2 questions :lol:
I don't seal so can't help you with that. After you cowash you can either leave the conditioner in, rinse the conditioner out and use conditioner as a leave-in or use a leave-in. Just the regular moisturizing step after conditioning.

Because I wear my hair in twists, I usually just retwist with diluted conditioner. But you can moisturize with whatever you want.

naturalnewb some people used a SLS/SLES shampoo before they started doing the cg method to make sure they're starting with a clean slate. I haven't used those type of shampoos in years so if I feel the need to clarify I use apple cider vinegar and water(1 part vinegar 2 parts water). Hope that helps.

jamaica68 Thank you!! I guess I can do the SLSes one more time :ohwell::grin:.

I didn't get to my hair on my usual wash day which is Friday. Saturday I did a rush job, just cowashing quickly with Giovanni SAS and using Deva Curl One as a leave-in.

So tonight did some extra pampering to my hair. She wasn't too dry but she didn't feel loved either. I oiled my scalp with my castor oil blend and baggied for an hour. I rinsed my hair and then tried Burt-Bees pre-shampoo. My hair is too curly and thick to put this on my hair. Going to try this again after my cut. I baggied for an hour and rinsed it out. Can't tell if it worked well or not. I washed with Deva Curl No-poo and rinsed. I then DCd with AO White Camellia. I baggied for and hour and then sat under my heat cap for 30 minutes. That's definitely a good DC for my hair.

I misted my hair with water outside of the shower and squeezed the water into my strands until they were saturated. I rinsed in the shower and cowashed with Deva Care One. I added more water to each section until it was saturated and squeezed the water/conditioner into my strands. I baggied while I showered. I rinsed each section. Then I squeezed water into each section until I could hear the squish sound. I then rinsed with cool water and put on Deva Curl One as a leave-in.

Outside of the shower I separated each section into smaller sections and put on more Deva Curl One and smoothed it in. I then twisted up each section to dry a bit.

My usual wash day is Wednesday but I may wash on Tuesday to give my hair a little more pampering this week.

I moved my cowash day up a day since it was raining so I didn't have to cut my grass. Decided to prepoo with olive oil and honey but I think I added too much honey :lol: I will probably do these prepoos though until the honey is gone. I let it sit for about an hour and rinsed it out. I cowashed with Deva Care One. While I let it sit in, I saturated each section with water and squeezed it in. Then rinsed it out and then did the squeeze-quench method with just straight water.

Out of the shower I used Deva Curl One as a leave-in and worked it in. I let my hair dry a bit and then twisted with a shea butter mix. I didn't finish until 12:30 but my hair was dry by 8 am, which is really good.

The butter makes my hair feel greasy but that's ok. I will use it until I get my cut next week then I might trash it, unless I decide I want to use it on my ends. But my hair feels very soft.

It's taking a long time to fully hydrate my hair but I can see progress. Each week it seems at least a little bit better. I do think products make a difference for my hair.

So I did my first co-wash in a long time after having washed my hair a few days ago with shampoo. I am trying to use my stash up so I applied Organics Shea Butter Plus (can't wait till this is done) and then sprayed with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Spray.<<<(not loving it at all) I did some celies (heard another member say that so I am using it) and am letting it air dry. Hopefully it dries by the time I wake up in the morning.

Pros so far: Detangling was a breeze. I did it strictly with my fingers. My hair feels moisturized.

Cons so far: None.

I rinsed and then DCd with AO White Camellia. Was lazy so baggied but didn't use heat. I think it still came out ok. I cowashed with Deva Curl One and then worked it into my hair. I used Deva Curl One as my leave-in. I misted my hair with water and worked the conditioner in to make sure my strands were saturated and let it sit.

I let my hair dry a bit then separated the section into smaller sections, misted with water and put in bantu knots with KCCC.

As I was putting in the bantu knots, I could actually see the KCCC defining my curls. That has never happened. But not trying to do my entire head :lol:

Hopefully my bantu knots will be dry by the morning.

Ive been doing the curly girl method for the last couple of days and I finally see some definition in my 4a coils. I had my hair in a loose pony as I walked past my mirror and notice this stray coils hanging out.

Attachments

• image-273198665.jpg
    image-273198665.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 75
tamikachu =];16497979 said:
Ive been doing the curly girl method for the last couple of days and I finally see some definition in my 4a coils. I had my hair in a loose pony as I walked past my mirror and notice this stray coils hanging out.

That is good definition. Can't wait to see what it looks like in a few weeks.

Last time I cowshed in twists they shrunk up significantly. I will try pulling them in a pony to see if that will help stretch them. Any other ideas? Heavy moisturizing while wet has helped tremendously with moisture retention.

Tried to do my first WNG today. It's not wearable but it does show some promise for my deva cut. Hopefully when it is shorter, shaped and free of the ends and with some product application from the stylists, it will be better next time. I really don't have a clue to what I'm doing :lol:

CGW12WNGBP1 (640x531).jpg

CGW12WNGTopP1 (640x455).jpg

Why isn't it wearable? Maybe try styling it a little different and you will like it:grin:

I only showed the pics from a certain angle. Because its not shaped, it just fans out to the side. So with the shrinkage and the short starting length there's no hope :nono: That's one of the reasons why I want it cut, so it can lay better.

I will just put it in a puff tomorrow. But at least now I know what it would look like.

[USER=334345 said:
Ogoma[/USER];16509825]@faithVA:

It looks good and it is so wearable. I can see the moisture and I love the color.

Now don't you wonder why I took a top view shot? :lol: Girl I look like bozo the clown when I lift my head :lachen: Naw, it ain't gonna happen.

But thanks for the moisture/color comment. The progress is slow but it's getting there.

My hair has been very soft this week but I'm not sure why. I don't know if it was something I did as part of Sunday's wash or if it was spraying my hair with water daily :perplexed:

I put too much honey in my olive oil/honey prepoo. Could that be it?
I sealed with oil. Could that be it?
I styled with gel? Nah, it can't be that?

Tonight I prepooed with diluted Deva Care One. And when I sprayed it in my hair was sooo soft. I cowashed with Deva Care One and my hair was soft. I rinsed with only warm water this time. I put in the Deva Curl One as a leave-in and let it sit for 10 minutes. I then sealed with oil. My hair did not dry out while styling it. And its still soft.

I don't know whats different but I like it.

faithVA said:
My hair has been very soft this week but I'm not sure why. I don't know if it was something I did as part of Sunday's wash or if it was spraying my hair with water daily :perplexed:

I put too much honey in my olive oil/honey prepoo. Could that be it?
I sealed with oil. Could that be it?
I styled with gel? Nah, it can't be that?

Tonight I prepooed with diluted Deva Care One. And when I sprayed it in my hair was sooo soft. I cowashed with Deva Care One and my hair was soft. I rinsed with only warm water this time. I put in the Deva Curl One as a leave-in and let it sit for 10 minutes. I then sealed with oil. My hair did not dry out while styling it. And its still soft.

I don't know whats different but I like it.

Don't worry, embrace that soft hair! I'm waiting for the day!

Sent from my 4G Thunderbolt using LHCF app

I will join. These are the products I will be using.

Shampoos:
Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo
Kinky Curly Come Clean
Giovanni SAS Shampoo

Conditioners:
Tressemme Naturals Silicone Free Conditioner
Shea Moisture Restoritive Conditioner
Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner

Deep Conditioners:
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner

Leave-ins:
Shea Moisture Restoritive Condtioner
Kinky Curly Knot Today
Giovanni Direct Leave-in (Use to hate this, but now I loove it)

Moisturizers:
Shea Moisture Leave-in
Giovanni Direct Leave in

Oils:
Coconut
Grapeseed

Stylers:
Xtreme styling gel
Eco styler gel
Let's JAM Custard

Still trying to figure out why my hair feels soft :lol:

When I twisted it up, I used my shea butter blend :nono: I should just throw this stuff out. My hair is low porosity and it just makes my hair feel greasy. I don't know why I have such a hard time throwing this stuff away.

So today I am wear a flat twist out with nice greasy hair :lol:

I only showed the pics from a certain angle. Because its not shaped, it just fans out to the side. So with the shrinkage and the short starting length there's no hope :nono: That's one of the reasons why I want it cut, so it can lay better.

I will just put it in a puff tomorrow. But at least now I know what it would look like.

Wow Faith, you and I have that in common! My sides look strange to me, it's like my curls stick out (and hang down) right there-I end up tucking them behind my ears! :perplexed
No bueno! :/ Maybe once my top grows longer it will look better.
From what I see of your pics though, yours looks quite nice! :yep:

Back