Curly Girl (CG) Challenge

Upon further research, I am pretty sure that I am already doing the curly girl method already.

The only shampoos I use are sulfate free, I'm currently using the JBCO shampoo.

I co-wash with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, their Tee Tree conditioner and VO5 moisture milks mixed with olive oil.
I DC with Shea Moisture or AW HSR or GPB
I use Shea Moisture as a leave in.
I use various oils to seal, castor, sweet almond, Coconut.
I henna and use Ayurveda powders.

Cool :yep:

I'm :lurking: until I do more research :curtain:

AtlantaJJ I can say this when I first started the wrong thing that I did was to use silicones on my hair as my conditioner and styling product and was not using any shampoo at all and that cause me to have some breakage.

what I found in doing the CG method is to pay close attention to the conditioners you use and make sure that you clarify every month but I am not sure if that is braking the rule but it is one thing that I make sure that I do for now on. I have not thrown out my silicones and I do treat myself to them every now and then but I make sure that I wash them out with shampoo before I go on. But that is me and what works best for my hair.

AtlantaJJ I can say this when I first started the wrong thing that I did was to use silicones on my hair as my conditioner and styling product and was not using any shampoo at all and that cause me to have some breakage.

what I found in doing the CG method is to pay close attention to the conditioners you use and make sure that you clarify every month but I am not sure if that is braking the rule but it is one thing that I make sure that I do for now on. I have not thrown out my silicones and I do treat myself to them every now and then but I make sure that I wash them out with shampoo before I go on. But that is me and what works best for my hair.

Shadiyah Thank you for your post. I was thinking that if I ever straighten my hair again, I will use a silicone. I haven't straightened my hair in 2 years but I might need to do a length check straighten soon. That's a good point that if I do use the silicone, then I need to use a sulfate shampoo to start the CG process all over again.

faithVA said:
You don't have to skip shampooing. That is a misconception. Curly Girl is no sulfate shampoos. Use a non-sulfate shampoo or a botanical cleanser. If you don't want to shampoo that's fine but that has nothing to do with curly girl.

Conditioning with AOHSR is fine. All the rest is fine. You will have to modify that as you go based on your results.

Are you cowashing 2x a week or 3x a week? Either is fine. Was just curious.

faithVA, thanks so much. I thought shampoo was a done deal. I generally use a sls free shampoo anyway. Every now and then I clarify with a sulfate since I've yet to find a sls free clarifying shampoo.

I have a cleansing conditioner that I've tried once...think I will give that a go weekly and just Cowash the other times. I believe the HSR is a little thicker than I'd like for cowashing but I will try diluting it or experimenting with some of the other recommendations in this thread. I think I will Cowash 3x a week to begin.

On the days that I do not, should I spritz, M&S?

[USER=98259 said:
gvin89[/USER];16370033]@faithVA, thanks so much. I thought shampoo was a done deal. I generally use a sls free shampoo anyway. Every now and then I clarify with a sulfate since I've yet to find a sls free clarifying shampoo.

I have a cleansing conditioner that I've tried once...think I will give that a go weekly and just Cowash the other times. I believe the HSR is a little thicker than I'd like for cowashing but I will try diluting it or experimenting with some of the other recommendations in this thread. I think I will Cowash 3x a week to begin.

On the days that I do not, should I spritz, M&S?

You always want to keep your hair hydrated. So if you feel your hair is getting dehydrated, moisturize it as often as necessary. There is no schedule. You hair may need it daily or every 3 days. It will let you know.

On my off days I usually just add water to my hair since I already have conditioner in it. If I am twisting it back up I will twist with water/conditioner mix.

[USER=98259 said:
gvin89[/USER];16377059]Ok I'm catching on....just m&s using LOC method. Plan to Cowash today

Do you have everything you need? All your questions answered?

Please let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
just got up so I am not sure if I will cw today or not. I did yesterday and now I am in a bun to protect my ends because I just henna my hair. I love my color but I want to be careful of not drying out my ends.

faithVA said:
Do you have everything you need? All your questions answered?

Please let us know how it goes.

Yes! Thanks so much for the info & help...I co washed earlier and moisturized/sealed.

I prepooed and DCd with AO White Camellia. I think I will use a diluted conditioner for prepooing more often. It worked out nicely. I cowashed with DevaCare One conditioner. I'm not sure that I like the DevaCare One better than the DevaCurl One. I think it makes my hair shrink up. I think on Friday I will cowash with the DevaCurl One to see if I can tell the difference.

I used DevaCurl One as a leave-in. I didn't bother finger combing/detangling. And since I'm trying to use some things up, I put Shea Moisture Smoothie over the DevaCurl One and then put on KCCC to twist my hair up.

I think I may have to define my curls when my hair is damp. But I'm not really sure what products to use to do that. Defining my curls when my hair is wet does nothing. And a gel by itself does nothing.

Hi, everyone.

I'm not in this challenge yet :grin:, but I'm thinking of ending my transition soon and using a CG-friendly regimen.

Some of you mentioned clarifying. What do you use to clarify? Do you know if bentonite clay can clarify and remove water insoluble cones (I know most of you are past that initial clarifying poo, but I'm hoping to avoid SLS/SLES from now on if possible)? How do you clarify without stripping your hair and removing all of the effects of your CG progress?

Thanks! :)

(Sorry if this was mentioned earlier. I'm still working my way through the thread and umm I'm due for a clarifying wash :look:.)

I am sitting in dc with honey as we speak. I first sprayed my hair with aloe vera juice and then applied. let's see how my wng comes out in the afternoon.

I was too tired to cowash last night. I need to do something today. I think I will DC while I run around town. Not sure if I am going to spray diluted conditioner on my hair or actually wet my entire head and then apply the conditioner. Which is the laziest :lol:

I have enough time to cowash but not enough to style it. I still don't feel like doing it but my hair is very dry.

Looking forward to hydrated hair. I hope I will have it one day.

I ended up spraying diluted conditioner on my hair and then adding a coat of conditioner on top of that and putting it into a puff. I rinsed it out around 10 pm. I cowashed with Deva Curl One. I spent a lot of time trying to hydrate my hair. I guess it's working.

I like the way the Deva Curl One feels over the Deva Care One but the end results look the same. So I will go back to using the Deva Care One tomorrow and compare. I really like the Deva Curl One and will repurchase that. But I probably won't repurchase the Deva Curl No Poo or the Deva Care One again.

Hi, everyone.

I'm not in this challenge yet :grin:, but I'm thinking of ending my transition soon and using a CG-friendly regimen.

Some of you mentioned clarifying. What do you use to clarify? Do you know if bentonite clay can clarify and remove water insoluble cones (I know most of you are past that initial clarifying poo, but I'm hoping to avoid SLS/SLES from now on if possible)? How do you clarify without stripping your hair and removing all of the effects of your CG progress?

Thanks! :)

(Sorry if this was mentioned earlier. I'm still working my way through the thread and umm I'm due for a clarifying wash :look:.)

naturalnewb some people used a SLS/SLES shampoo before they started doing the cg method to make sure they're starting with a clean slate. I haven't used those type of shampoos in years so if I feel the need to clarify I use apple cider vinegar and water(1 part vinegar 2 parts water). Hope that helps.

I was hanging out in the curly girl vs tightly curly thread but think I will hang out in hear since I am truly doing curly girl.

Friday was the start of week 10 for me. I took update pics. You can't see too much difference but I can feel some difference. I think it's going to take more than 3 months to reach full hydration though. I finish week 12 the day before I go get my deva cut. That will be my official 3 month mark. So will see what 3 months looks like for my 4b hair.

[USER=147242 said:
Arian[/USER];16413219]Subbing as I want to get to this point eventually!

What day is your hair cut? Are you getting it flat ironed and cut or are you getting a curly cut?

I usually don't baggy because after my hair dries, it dries so hard and brittle it's not worth it. But going to give it another try tonight. Only going to baggy for an hour though before I go to bed. I hate sleeping with a plastic bag on my head. My scalp is already starting to itch :nono:

But hopefully my hair dries soft. If so I will baggy on my non cowash days and when I'm just sitting around the house.

What day is your hair cut? Are you getting it flat ironed and cut or are you getting a curly cut?

@faithVA, I'm actually getting it cut tomorrow. :lol: my hair is not really curly. But I think she is going to cut it dry.

My hair is some kind of weird wavy, half curl, half straight looking something...I think the color had something to do with that.

I'm VERY nervous though. VERY. I hope it all goes smoothly.

Last edited:
@faithVA, I'm actually getting it cut tomorrow. :lol: my hair is not really curly. But I think she is going to cut it dry.

My hair is some kind of weird wavy, half curl, half straight looking something...I think the color had something to do with that.

Good luck. I hope it comes out very nice and that you are happy with it.

It's been one full week since I began the CG method. I did not Cowash as I planned but my hair is still moisturized. I went back to using the QB line and it made me remember why I fell in love with it initially. My twists are soft, but my workouts and steam from shower got the best of them - there's no avoiding shrinkage. Lol

I DCd with Nubian Heritage Strength and Growth Treatment for 45 minutes. I rinsed and the cowashed with DevaCare One. Instead of using Deva Curl One as a leave-in I used Shea Moisture Smoothie, so I can use it up.

I could see a few more curls trying to clump together. I twisted my hair up and then trimmed the ends off of my twists.

Shadiyah said:

hi I'm new to the forum and I'm currently trying to get my regimen in order so can u please write to me all the silicone conditioners out there that u kno of,so I can steer clear away.u can write me back in this thread or pm me ,Thnx so much truly appreciate it

:hiya3:

Prepoo: EVOO and/or Coconut Oil

Co-Wash: Garnier Fructice Triple Moisture or Tresemme Naturals

Deep Con: Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana Daily Fix or Organicals Deep Conditioning Creme (ODCC) (I add a tpsn of Quinoa protein to DC every other week for protein treatment).

Leave in: Homemade w/ ODCC, coconut oil, honeyquate, a splash of quinoa protein, and water.

I've been lurking on this thread since I decided to do a CG 8 week challenge, 6 1/2 weeks ago. Considering that CG has done wonders for my hair in such a short period of time, I have decided to continue to comply w/ CGM and make it a permanent part of my routine. One challenge that I have is that CG advocates finger detangling. However, when I finger detangle I find that I rip my 4b hair and shed more of it than if I used a wide tooth comb. I want to abide by CG as much as I can but I'd like to keep hair on my head too. IDK if I don't have good finger detangling techniques. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Last edited:
[USER=337891 said:
Cruzankink[/USER];16432811]:hiya3:

Prepoo: EVOO and/or Coconut Oil

Co-Wash: Garnier Fructice Triple Moisture or Tresemme Naturals

Deep Con: Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana Daily Fix or Organicals Deep Conditioning Creme (ODCC) (I add a tpsn of Quinoa protein to DC every other week for protein treatment).

Leave in: Homemade w/ ODCC, coconut oil, honeyquate, a splash of quinoa protein, and water.

I've been lurking on this thread since I decided to do a CG 8 week challenge, 6 1/2 weeks ago. Considering that CG has done wonders for my hair in such a short period of time, I have decided to continue to comply w/ CGM and make it a permanent part of my routine. One challenge that I have is that CG advocates finger detangling. However, when I finger detangle I find that I rip my 4b hair and shed more of it than if I used a wide tooth comb. I want to abide by CG as much as I can but I'd like to keep hair on my head too. IDK if I don't have good finger detangling techniques. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Do you feel like you are ripping it from the roots? or from the ends?

If from the roots, let the conditioner sit on your hair longer and then add water and smooth the roots and try squeeze the conditioner into the roots.

If the ends, they also aren't hydrated. Add more conditioner and some water and do the squeeze-quench method to squeeze water into your ends to try to hydrate them more. Smooth the ends. Make sure your ends aren't damaged. Trim them if necessary.

[USER=346843 said:
hairqueen7[/USER];16432713]hi I'm new to the forum and I'm currently trying to get my regimen in order so can u please write to me all the silicone conditioners out there that u kno of,so I can steer clear away.u can write me back in this thread or pm me ,Thnx so much truly appreciate it

I know you weren't addressing me but just offering a suggestion. Whenever purchasing or considering purchasing something read the ingredients on the back or research them online. Silicones all have "cone" at the end. Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Amodimethicone

• Cyclomethicone is one of the most commonly used silicones in hair care. It's a volatile silicone, which means it evaporates and won't build up on your hair. It gives a silky, smooth feel and leaves the hair with incredible slip when wet and is found in both leave-on and rinse-off products.
  • Dimethicone Copolyol is a water-soluble, lightweight silicone that provides very little buildup. It is often used in conditioning shampoos.
  • Amodimethicone (or silicones that have "amo", "amine" or "amino" in their name) is a different kind of silicone that is chemically modified to stick to your hair better. That means it conditions well but it can also be more challenging to remove. Amodimethicone is commonly used in leave-in conditioners.
  • Dimethicone is sometimes referred to as a silicone oil. Dimethicone coats hair, providing great shine and conditioning to the hair. However, because it's so water insoluble, it can be difficult to remove. Additionally, this heavy coating is more likely to attract dirt and pollutants from the air, making the hair feel weighed down. Dimethicone is often found in serums and other leave-on products

Do you feel like you are ripping it from the roots? or from the ends?

If from the roots, let the conditioner sit on your hair longer and then add water and smooth the roots and try squeeze the conditioner into the roots.

If the ends, they also aren't hydrated. Add more conditioner and some water and do the squeeze-quench method to squeeze water into your ends to try to hydrate them more. Smooth the ends. Make sure your ends aren't damaged. Trim them if necessary.

faithVA thanx for your prompt response! I feel that my hair is ripping from both the roots and ends. In some parts of my hair, I have 1-2 inches of heat damaged ends (as I assessed last night) so I know my ends are weak and can break easily but my hair ripping from the roots worries me. I'll try your recommendations and see how it works for me. Thanx again!

Back