Could we have an updated-4a/b roll call? Apologies...

Relaxed 4a here. 7 weeks post...stretching to 26 if possible! I'll be buying a digital camera to upload pics soon, I hope!

Look forward to the pics @ DSylla! Yes, BabyGurl is the bombdiggity,isn't she?;)

Hola Kinkypride 4b & Jewell! Thanks for checking in! Jewell, good luck with your stretch!:)

MonaLisa said:
Thanks for checking in Daughter....dancing banana...lol.

CON is the greatest isn't it? I'm partial to the green and white label though (Ultra Moisturizing).

I love coconut and castor oil as well.;)

Ooh I haven't noticed the green and white label CON!!! What's the difference?

Daughter said:
Ooh I haven't noticed the green and white label CON!!! What's the difference?

Good question...maybe someone will pipe in! lol. I've never used anything but the green and white label...Ultra Moisturizing. I know the red one is regular, I think.

Some are not partial to the Ultra Moisturizing, but I've never had a real problem with it.

Update...

I do not use Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Formula Shampoo anymore (it's the green and white bottle with the yellow top that was just mentioned).
I just conditioner wash my hair every 2 weeks with Suave Professionals Humectant OR clarify every 4 weeks with Suave or Elasta QP Shampoo before doing a CW.

I'm also not using my Motions Nourish leave-in as much. And MonaLisa, I decided to use NTM Silk Touch leave-in Cream AS A LEAVE IN for right now. ;) My hair feels so good after applying this on damp hair and leaves a great smell afterwards too! :yep: I use Elasta QP Recovery as a moisturizer right now.

4a/b checking in with natural hair.
My regemine I don't know still workin on it. I'm getting the best tips from this thread :)

@Pooh - glad u like the NTM Leave In...that's my baby right there along with the DDC. I keep hearing about this Elasta Recovery, may try that once my BB Castor Oil & Aloe runs out. I too like the Suave Humectant for my CW...I mix it with another cheapo I love and it works for me.;)

Welcome aboard Superstar! Glad the thread has been helpful to you..:)

New to the scene and a little late checking in.. but 4a/b and relaxed.
Currently CO wash every three days, alternating b/w Humecto and Humectress with heat. Learning to stretch relaxers to every 9 weeks +. My hair loves WGO and castor oil!

thattvgirl said:
New to the scene and a little late checking in.. but 4a/b and relaxed.
Currently CO wash every three days, alternating b/w Humecto and Humectress with heat. Learning to stretch relaxers to every 9 weeks +. My hair loves WGO and castor oil!

I got excited at first when I saw thattvgirl...I was about to say "Oprah, is that you?" This is the second time...my hopes have been dashed...lol...:lol:

Welcome aboard ttg...and thanks for checking in....I likes me some WGO and castor oil as well.;)

Hey thattvgirl... your hair is nice, thick, and long! Welcome to the forum! A great asset to us! :grin:

DatJerseyDyme said:
4a

Shampoos: Nexxus Therappe, Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo
Conditioners: Nexxus Humectress, Nexxus Keraphix, Nexxus Emergencee, Paul Mitchell Supercharged Moisturizer
Leave-ins: Nexxus Headress, Biolage Daily Leave-in Tonic
Moisturizers/Oils/Serums: Elasta QP Mango Butter, Carols Daughter Healthy Hair Butter, EVOO, Coconut Oil, Biosilk Silk Therapy, Smooth 'n Shine, NTM

Shampoos: Same
Condidionters: Same
Leave-ins: Same plus rusk sensories smoothers (I may be allergic to this)
Moisturizers/Oils/Serums: Mango Butter, EVOO, Coconut Oil, same serums

MonaLisa said:
if there has been a thread on this prior (hard to do a search on).

I just wanted to ask this because, although I have some hair idols...their hair isn't that close to mine (with the exception of the ultimate 4a/b idol AJamerican Diva) -- until I thoroughly examined Babygurl's album and was like wow...I can relate to her hair...and she has really inspired me in terms of me making progress as well. I also check mrslee..cause the things her hair likes, mine does as well.

I figure we can learn from each other...I know...things respond differently sometimes to different heads...but then again...sometimes they don't!

I'll start it off...I'm 4a/b...sometimes...it gets more A than b...but dat b is definitely up in there...

My hair is down with:
Poos: Keracare Detangling/CON/NTM

Conditioners:
Moisturizing - Keracare Humecto (tub); NTM; (contemplating Salerm WG Mask based on mrslee's continued results)

Protein - ManeNTail/Aubrey Organics GPB/UBH
Heavy Protein Treatment- Aphoghee (decided to stick with it, it works, smell doesn't bother me at all)

Conditioners for CO Washes/PrePoo Treatments: Suave Milk & Honey, Suave Humectant, White Rain, VO5

Moisturizers: Elasta QP Mango Butter; Surge Woojee; BB Castor Oil and Aloe;
Coconut Softee (thanks to Kitchentician); WGO

Leave-In: NTM Silk Touch

Serum: NTM

I'll Surge when I can remember. Will slap castor oil, coconut oil, profective healthy ends or one of my moisturizers on to protect my ends.

Currently rocking a quick weave as protective style for the winter, if not wearing my own hair out.

Update: I have now added Salerm WG to my staples. Big Time NTM user!
No longer using the UBH. Using mildly diluted MNT. AO GPB occasionally in rotation.
Just used Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum. A keeper.
Not so big on VO5 anymore...Suave M&H, Humectant and White Rain still in effect!! Just added Daily Defense Tender Apple.

Going to add Elasta QP Recovery, eliminate BB Castor Oil and Aloe.
Still rocking the quick weave....will use less during the summer. I have no issues with mine.

sky_blu said:
How can I tell if Im a 4a/b???

Type 4

According to Andre Walker, if your hair falls into the Type 4 category, then it is kinky, or very tightly curled. Generally, Type 4 hair is very wiry, very tightly coiled and very fragile. Similar to Type 3 hair, Type 4 hair appears to be coarse, but it is actually quite fine, with lots and lots of these strands densely packed together.

Type 4 hair that is healthy won't shine, but it will have sheen. It will be soft to the touch and will pass the strand test with ease. It will feel silkier than it will look shiny. Oprah is a Type 4. Type 4 hairs looks tough and durable, but looks can be deceiving. If you have Type 4 hair, you already know that it is the most fragile hair around.

There are two subtypes of Type 4 hair: Type 4A, tightly coiled hair that,
when stretched, has an "S" pattern, much like curly hair; and Type 4B, which has a "Z" pattern, less of a defined curl pattern (instead of curling or coiling, the hair bends in sharp angles like the letter "Z"). Type 4A tends to have more moisture than Type 4B, which will have a wiry texture.

Type 4a/b here

Conditioners: Lekair Cholestorol, Tigi Honey and Oatmeal, KeraCare Humecto
Leave ins: Tigi Ego boost, Redken moist ends, Dove daily defense,
Oils: EVOO, Kemi Oyl
Serums: Smooth n Shine, Fantasia IC, Tigi Control Freak, Aveda brilliant

Not sure if I posted before, but type 4b

Shampoo: Creme of Nature for dry hair
Conditioner: Elasta QP DPR 11
Protein treatment: Aphogee treatment for damaged hair
Protein conditioner: Aphogee reconstructor
Oils: Glovers mixed with olive oil
Leave in: Homemade mixture
Hairdress (mainly for ends and new growth) Homemade mixture
Relaxer: Revlon lye regular every 8-12 weeks

Vitamins:
Biotin- 5 mg
B5- 500 mg
Flax seed oil
Multi

Currently cut away all dead thin see thru ends so now I am a little past shoulder length

4a checking in. Recently decided to do a long transition and go natural...

My hair responds well to the following products:

Shampoos: Cream of Nature & Suave Milk N Honey (I've been doing Co-Washes lately though)
Conditioners: Nexxus Humectress, LeKair Cholesterol, ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pak
Leave-ins: Nexxus Humectress (small amount) mixed with Wild Growth Oil (heated), Infusium 23 once a week
Treatments: Nexxus KerapHix every 2 weeks, aphogee every 2 months
Moisturizers/Oils/Serums: WGO, Profective Healthy Ends
Products I Will Try Next: Salerm Wheat Mask, Elasta QP Mango Butter & EVOO :)

msincognito said:
Hi Ladies,

Great thread!!!

I am a 4b-relaxed and fine

I use CON lye relaxer (professionally), relaxing every 7 weeks

Shampoos: CON, Nexxus Biotin, Motions

Conditioners: Mizani Moisturefuse, NTM Daily, Motions, LeKair Cholesterol,

Proteins: Emergencee, Milk Protein, Aphogee

Leave Ins: Lacio Lacio, Surge

Moisturizers: WGO, Surge Moisture Max (newly purchase/haven't decided if I
like it or not), Profectiv Mega Moisture

Routine: 2 washes weekly, 1 regular shampoo, 1 co-wash. I usually wear
hair in updos.

***Changes made to my routine***

Conditioners: Dudleys Cream Protein, Lekair/Queen Helene Cholesterol

Protein: Dudleys DPR 28

Moisturizers: Dudleys PCA

Duh, I was supposed to add my products :lol: :

Poos: NTM, Kenra Moisturizing, Elasta QP Creme Conditions, Motions Lavish

Conditioners:
Moisturizing - NTM DDC and Mask, Kenra MC, Keracare Humecto, ORS Pak :love:
Light Protein - Aubrey GPB (still trying to work with this one), Elasta BCS
Heavy Protein Treatment- Emergencee (may go back to Aphoghee)

Hot Oil Treatment: Hot 6 Oil (maybe once per month)

Leave-In: NTM Silk Touch, Fantastia IC Aloe

Moisturizers: Elasta QP Recovery, NTM Leave In

Serum: Kenra Silkening Gloss, NTM

Oils/Butters: Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Hot 6 Oil, WGO, MTG

Checking In!!
I'm 4a...some of them want to be 3c sometimes but I digress.

Right now I am dealing with:
Poo: CON
Conditioner: Awapuhi (Suave brand) or Aussie 3 minute miracle
Leave in: CHOLESTEROL for deep and for regular washing Infusium
Moisturizer: Africa's Best Herbal oil

This may change slightly- want to try Olive and jojoba oils as well as shea butter.

I'll be taking length shots soon to add to my album.
What is evoo?

Last edited:
mscounselor said:
Checking In!!
I'm 4a...some of them want to be 3c sometimes but I digress.

Right now I am dealing with:
Poo: CON
Conditioner: Awapuhi (Suave brand) or Aussie 3 minute miracle
Leave in: CHOLESTEROL for deep and for regular washing Infusium
Moisturizer: Africa's Best Herbal oil

This may change slightly- want to try Olive and jojoba oils as well as shea butter.

I'll be taking length shots soon to add to my album.
What is evoo?

EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

There is a helpful glossary of terms/acronyms at the heading on the forum if you ever get unsure of some of the ones used.
HTH.:)

also, 4a/b's heads can be so different...cause I used to use cholesterol conditioner...and wondered why my hair never grew. ..I tried it one more time...and my hair would come out...so I stopped that quick. My hair does not like that stuff...lol.

I kept meaning to respond to this and never got around to it. Anyhoo...

I'm a 4b, although thanks to MSM my hair texture has loosened a up a little. I'm always trying new things, especially conditioners, but here are the proven winners:

Poos: Keracare Hydrating Detangling; NTM; Brocato Vibracolor Fade Prevent.

Conditioners:
Moisturizing - Salerm Wheat Germ Mask; Biolage Ultra Hyrdating; Suave Milk & Honey for conditioner washes. Protein - Nexxus Keraphix; Profectiv Growth Masque.

Moisturizers: Profectiv Breakfree; Sta-sof-fro; EQP Mango butter (not used to moisturize, but to smooth down my edges when I'm post-relaxer)

Oils: Kemi or WGO to seal and for scalp; Hot 6 for hot oil or pre-poo treatments; Castor cut with evoo to coat ends at night.

Leave-In: Salerm 21 (although I just bought Lacio Lacio & can't wait to try it); Pantene Light Detangle: after a CW, I'll use Infusium moistuizing or EQP H-Two for a little protein. Stopped regular Surging cause it irritated my scalp.

Serum: John Frieda Relax Texture Correcting

Regime: Wash with poo, deep condition and rollerset once a week; Occaisional CW mid-week (will probably become reguilar with warm weather).

ETA: reading this over I think I may have a problem cause these things are small portion of what i have in my "hair closet"

Last edited:
So nice to see a bunch of people utilizing my favorite product line...NTM...that's my shiznit right there. Right along with Keracare Humecto. CON and Keracare Detangling poo. Yup, yup!!!

Bless y'all that can use cholesterol...lol.

I also see that Suave M&H gets love as well. I prefer the M&H and the Humectant. The tropical coconut while smelling good....didn't love as much as my White Rain tropical coconut (which had more coconut extract as an ingredient and less fragrance added).

Mona, you've got me dying to try the White Rain conditioners. Do you only like the coconut? I went to the site last wek and saw that they have a bunch of intriguing scents. Also, do you just use it to CW?

Fine, relaxed 4a/4b here....

Shampoos: CON, Doo Gro, Keracare
Conditioners: Motions Oil Moisturizer Silk Protien, CON, Keracare Humecto
Leave in: NTM Leave in Cream is the only thing that works!!
Protien: EQP Breakage Control serum, never used a heavy protien
Moisturizers: EQP Mango Butter (for holding down edges when the new growth gets ruff) S-Curl
Oils: Motions Herbal Oils Sheen Spray, EVOO, EQP Reflect, Organics Carrot Tea Tree Oil Therapy
Pre-Poo: VO5 and EVOO for at least an hour with no heat

I wash and deep condition once a week. I rollerset my hair and wrap it. I wear it like this until the new growth gets too thick, then I but it until my next touch up.

Back