Comeback 2012 Challenge

1) Tell us about your setback, big or small.

My setback was
  • losing length via split ends and mid-strand splits
  • losing thickness
  • thinning edges
  • breakage along the front of my hair
The cause of the setback was hair neglect:blush: and, at times, abuse:blush: (for the last few months I've just been yanking out my tangles).

2) How do you plan to recover? (ie, new regimen, PSing, no heat, baby ends, etc)
  • Protective styling under wigs
  • babying ends, perhaps baggying
  • massaging scalp and temples with lavendar jbco
  • steaming at least 1x/2 weeks
  • Increase moisture from the inside out - 64oz of water and more vegetable and animal protein
  • I did get a fresh cut but I think since I have fine strands I might have to do small trim (.1 - .25 in) every so often. I was previosuly doign S + Ds but I had so many splits that I ended up cutting off 3 in here, 1 in there - leaving my hair very uneven
3) What is your comeback goal? (does not have to be a length goal...can be thickness, edges, etc)

My comeback goals are to:
  • reach BSL
  • gain thickness. My currrent straightened ponytail is 3 in circumference.
  • thicken up my edges. (After protective styling under a wig for several months earlier this year, I had gained my edges back and they were actually growing in quite close to my eyebrows
4) Post a picture of your setback or simply post a starting picture.
5606816799_c906c84f6f.jpg

September 2010

5727835621_3878dfc6f1.jpg

May 2011 (should've defniitely hit BSL in the summer but kept trimming splits (and probably had breakage too) - didn't get rid of them completely and my hair was uneven)

6652947687_c3ec3e1f4f.jpg

October 2011 - my attempt at straightening - ends looks crappy and hair is uneven

--A FRESH START--
January 7, 2012 - Hair was professionally straightened

BEFORE TRIM
WP_000349.jpg

AFTER 2 - 2.5 IN TRIM - Hair had to be cut in layers (I didn't get to take a pic before the ends were bumped)
WP_000352.jpg

Later in the day - ends have fallen a bit

6681943951_d0b245c4ea.jpg

6681942041_71d15c6fb6.jpg

Hair looks healthier although I do still have some splits and the hairdresser commented on my hair's dryness - which is true, it's not as moisturized as it was a year+ ago, definitely not as moistruized and healthy as when I first BCd:nono:

5) Every 3months, take a picture to document your progress. For those who are hiding their hair, you don't have to post the picture, but check-in with us on how things are going.
6) For those coming back from a length setback (or for anyone also interested), keep track of how many inches you've obtained either on a monthly or quarterly basis. On December 2012, tally your total inches, tell us what you've learned about your hair, and celebrate your growth!!!
7) No trims for 2012 (you may search and destroy split ends only) I'll see:ohwell:
8) Encourage each other and give helpful tips!

Last edited:
joining this challenge a bit late..

reason-- my hair has been a haven for SPLIT ENDS

I've done small dustings.. however recently I have had to cut off a lot. possibly 1.5 or 2 inches. Unsure. My hair is growing.. its obvious.. but I am not retaining.

I plan to put more effort in moisturizing my ends.

I might have to do this, because I sure did have a setback last year!

1) Tell us about your setback, big or small. I started the year trying to recover from too much protein but then changed to a different hair color formula and I had a severe allergic reaction to it, especially in my nape. About 1 inch of the nape is totally broken off. My hair was also dry from the color and so I have some breakage areas.
2) How do you plan to recover? (ie, new regimen, PSing, no heat, baby ends, etc) I'm no longer coloring my hair, and doing DC twice weekly on wash day, and trying to limit heat to wash day only, something I'm bad about
3) What is your comeback goal? (does not have to be a length goal...can be thickness, edges, etc) Nape grown out to meet the ends of the rest of my hair.
7) No trims for 2012 (you may search and destroy split ends only) oh, hmmm this might be a problem, can I trim occasionally (1/4 or less)? Just to even up ends

Attachments

• IMAG0196.jpg
    IMAG0196.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 35
After all my self-inflected setbacks from last year this is where I am. Making my way to APL. I think I have about 2 inches to go, so hopefully in May or June I can claim it. :look:

So far my hair has stopped feeling brittle and super dry so I think the protein overload is gone. I'm dealing with splits so I have been doing short search and destroy missions off and on whenever I see them. Other than that I have just been following my usual routine. Trying out some new leave-ins but still using my fave oils and such.

Last edited:
After all my self-inflected setbacks from last year this is where I am. Making my way to APL. I think I have about 2 inches to go, so hopefully in May or June I can claim it. :look:

So far my hair has stopped feeling brittle and super dry so I think the protein overload is gone. I'm dealing with splits so I have been doing short search and destroy missions off and on whenever I see them. Other than that I have just been following my usual routine. Trying out some new leave-ins but still using my fave oils and such.

Your hair actually looks very shiny and thick!

I might have to do this, because I sure did have a setback last year!

1) Tell us about your setback, big or small. I started the year trying to recover from too much protein but then changed to a different hair color formula and I had a severe allergic reaction to it, especially in my nape. About 1 inch of the nape is totally broken off. My hair was also dry from the color and so I have some breakage areas.
2) How do you plan to recover? (ie, new regimen, PSing, no heat, baby ends, etc) I'm no longer coloring my hair, and doing DC twice weekly on wash day, and trying to limit heat to wash day only, something I'm bad about
3) What is your comeback goal? (does not have to be a length goal...can be thickness, edges, etc) Nape grown out to meet the ends of the rest of my hair.
7) No trims for 2012 (you may search and destroy split ends only) oh, hmmm this might be a problem, can I trim occasionally (1/4 or less)? Just to even up ends

The no trim rule is for those seeking length from a cut already. If you need to trim and that will help you make your comeback then by all means!:yep:

About 18 months ago, I had a stylist straighten my hair with EXTREME heat. Needless to say, my ends were thin after that ordeal. Six months after that, I used to let my mom cornrow my hair but her combing methods had me losing a lot more hair than I felt was necessary so that just compounded the weakness in my ends. I would do trims throughout the year to get rid of the heat damaged ends but they were still there. Then, a couple of weeks ago I straightened my hair myself and that thinned out my ends even more to the point where they were practically straight.

2) How do you plan to recover? (ie, new regimen, PSing, no heat, baby ends, etc)

A couple of days ago, I chopped of those damaged ends (5"-1.5") so that they wouldn't hinder my retention. I'll be using moderate heat (blow outs) to keep my hair stretched and wear my hair in buns mostly.

3) What is your comeback goal? (does not have to be a length goal...can be thickness, edges, etc)

To grow my hair to 14" (grazing BSL) by the end of 2012.

(Attached below: You can see the ends are quite thin from the rest of the hair. They were extremely elongated (not like my tight 4a/b curls at all) and lacked elasticity. They just weren't 100% healthy. The rest is where I am right now.)

Attachments

• DSCN1564.jpg
    DSCN1564.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN2282.JPG
    DSCN2282.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN2285.JPG
    DSCN2285.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN2286.JPG
    DSCN2286.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN2289.JPG
    DSCN2289.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Hello ladies! Hope everyone is doing well.
My hair is back to normal now but I am finding not only split ends but also some mid-shaft splits too. No bueno. Will continue to dust as I see them. I clarified last week with a Suave Naturals shampoo and followed up with the Tresemme Natural conditioner and my hair feels awesome! I couldn't believe how soft it felt afterward.
Other then that I have gone back to taking my vitamins. Upped my biotin intake to 6 mg and drink 10 glasses of water a day now. Hopefully this wll give me the extra growth I need in order to make up for the lost length from that terrible trim I gave myself last year.

Just had my touch up last Saturday and my nape is growing in nicely. My hair is sooooo much softer and I'm wrapping nightly to avoid heat. So far so good...

Ravengirl, glad ur hair is back. As for those splits, what kind of styles are u wearing?
jcdlox, so happy ur nape is growing in! Progress one day at a time:-)

As an update, I've been in cornrows (no extensions) for 4 weeks. I wash and redo them weekly one at a time. Getting some good new growth.

Last edited:
Hey ladies:hiya:

Just checking in. I have been protective styling since the 1st of the year but I am still having MASSIVE shedding.
:whyme: I don't know how to stop it. I've tried tea rinses, garlic, coffee rinses and still nothing.:wallbash: I take vitamins (iron, zinc, multi and vitamin D3) and workout regularly (at least 5x a week). I feel like my hair could bounce back 100% if I could just get this shedding under control. I've pretty much stopped my breakage so I guess I've won 1/2 the battle already.

Any ideas about this shedding business?

:feedback:

This is the challenge I needed for 2012...

I had a major setback in june when I used a clarifying shampoo the followed it up with a protein treatment.. my hair broke so badly and thinned out. Ever since I have been nursing my hair but it took long before i could find a regime that works out.. Im yet to say that have nailed the right regime coz my hair is stil breaking. Im 4 months post relaxer and I will not relax until when my hair has regained back its health. If not i will just trim out all the damaged ends and move on.

I will update post with my pics on weekend or later in the day

1. I keep having breakage little pieces of hair all over the sink. This has been going on forever and i guess that is what keeps me at shoulder length. I read where this may mean too much protein. So I get products that "say" moisturizing so i assume i am using the right kind of products. But as I read all the ingredients of the moisturizing products i see that proteins are in those products too. So I must be really protein sensitive! So I went through my products and was left with my AO HSR as a conditioner and Design Essential moisture retention shampoo. That was that first time in years that I had a clean sink no hairs no where. Then I got the Wen in the mail and I had to try it and although it had great slip and felt great on my hair i had all kinds of hair in the sink long and short. :-(
2. I plan to use the new regimen for a while that is truly moisture based with AO GPB maybe once a month. Do more PS and baby the ends
3.Currently my hair is just past shoulders. MBL and beyond is goal but for 2012 I want thick full APL. So I am thinking I need to dust ends periodically because they are very thin and wispy now. Gaining something thickness would be great.
4. I am on my iPhone and don't think I can upload pic. Will post when I get on my computer.

fivetimestwo, I know you've tried garlic, but other ladies have said Alter Ego garlic shampoo/conditioner helped their shedding. Have you used any new products or vitamins prior to the shedding? I had a period of shedding once, and I thought back to the last product I added before the shedding started and stopped using it. Turned out the shedding stopped. I've also had somewhat seasonal (though it varies) shedding that was self-resolving. Hopefully other ladies can weigh in too.

Rossy2010, welcome! Sorry to hear about your setback. What regimen and products are you using now? Maybe we can help you solidify a regimen or products that work. Do you often stretch long periods? Make sure you're taking extra care of your hair this many months post so you don't end up having more breakage. My longest stretch was 4months (now on a 6 month stretch) so if your new to stretching, I can give some input on what's helped me. What sort of styles are you doing?

Shelew, welcome as well! Joico Moisture Recovery is a very moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, tho it does have wheat protein. If you think you're overly protein sensitive then, maybe it won't benefit you, but i've found it to be more moisturizing than strengthening. AO HSR is a good conditioner as well. Another moisturizing one is Bed Head Self Absorbed. Very moisturizing as well. What products do you use as leave-ins? Are you relaxed or natural?

@fivetimestwo, I know you've tried garlic, but other ladies have said Alter Ego garlic shampoo/conditioner helped their shedding. Have you used any new products or vitamins prior to the shedding? I had a period of shedding once, and I thought back to the last product I added before the shedding started and stopped using it. Turned out the shedding stopped. I've also had somewhat seasonal (though it varies) shedding that was self-resolving. Hopefully other ladies can weigh in too.

Thanks for the suggestion, I guess Alter Ego is my next move. :yep: I've been on a pretty consistent vitamin regimen for a while so I doubt it's that. It could be seasonal however, since the weather just recently started to get cold here (I'm in Cleveland). I haven't really added anything new other than the tresemme naturals conditioner (maybe that could be the issue?). I will try using a different conditioner for co-washing and see if that helps also.

@Rossy2010, welcome! Sorry to hear about your setback. What regimen and products are you using now? Maybe we can help you solidify a regimen or products that work. Do you often stretch long periods? Make sure you're taking extra care of your hair this many months post so you don't end up having more breakage. My longest stretch was 4months (now on a 6 month stretch) so if your new to stretching, I can give some input on what's helped me. What sort of styles are you doing?

Hi bigbrowneyez do you have big brown eyes for real :D?
This is my first ever long strech.. i always relax at 12 - 14 weeks.
My regime for the stretch was putting my hair in box braids for two weeks.
I pooed, followed with apoghee 2 steps and alter ego. I was keeping it simple. It was working fine but the last month I have had excessive shedding and now breakage.

I want try the following regime that it
prepoo with moisturizing condish mixed with some shea butter and EVOO, JBCO
shampoo
Apoghee 2 steps
alternates weekly - Alter ego/AOHRS
Leave in Alter Ego and infusium

I will PS using french braids.

Im taking the following vitamins:
Hairfinity
MSM
Flaxseed and multi vitamins

Im really confused if i should relax or wait until the breakages stops.
My ends are quite thin but with the amount of breakage I have been experiencing its no surprise.

Hi All, May I join in on this challenge? Here is my entry info:

Well it all started around the beginning of September. I was taking some courses for medical billing and coding and there was this girl in my class with 4a/b relaxed hair that was alittle past BSL. Yall I am NOT over exaggerating when I tell you this girl's hair was beautiful. She wore it straight down everyday, and her ends were perfection! I was so infatuated that I had to ask her where did she go to get her hair done. She told me about a local beauty school called "Kenneth Schuler". Now at first I was very hesitant because IMHO hairschools= a bunch of chicks that don't know what they're doing. Don't get me wrong there are SOME hair schools in which the students are very knowledgeable in they're practice. But for the most part...they aren't (especially not here in SC). But Anywho.....after weeks of contemplating I finally gave in and made an appointment. I went in for a 'poo wash, a simple duby wrap (a wrap with the curls on top) and a trim. You guys...i kid you not....I went in the salon with [uneven] APL hair. I asked her to evenit up....and this chick cut my hair alittle above SL :nono:. I mean I know I really needed a trim but she took off wayyy too much for my taste.

I don't have any pictures of the back, but if you look hard enough you will be able to see where my hair barely touched my shoulders. From that moment on, I decided to take matters into my own hands! I purchased the split-ender, some Nioxin vits and mixed up my own sulfur mix. Never again will anyone [other than my mom or myself] come near my hair with a pair of scissors. (sorry about the lengthy story, but it had to be told in full-detail lol)

Operation "Comeback" is as follows:
  • 'Poo once a week
  • Co-wash once a week
  • DC/Overnight DC Twice a week
  • Relax every 13-16 weeks
  • Moisturize/Seal Nightly
  • Use Sulfur Mix at least 3 times a week on scalp
  • Take my Vits Daily
  • Protective style underneath sew-ins/weaves
  • **PRAYER!!*** lol

Healthy Thick, BSL by December!

1zfihpj.jpg

Here are a few of my updates since the disastrous hair visit:
This was taken around the end of September after a fresh Relaxer:
29o4pbb.jpg

This was taken after my most recent touch-up (1 week ago):
2h30ily.jpg

So far I think operation "comeback" has been a success :).

Hi ladies im joining. Setbacks have been split ends, knots. I am natural 4a 3c color treated hair. I believe lack of light protein in my hair regimine, lack of protective styles, and too much manipulation have been a contributing factor to my lack of hair retention because my hair actually grows fast.

Overcoming setbacks: protective styling Using Pinned-up braidouts 5 days a week, light protein co-washes followed by moisturising conditioner twice a week. Dust ends every 8 weeks. No heat. Possible weaves. Add vitamins and possible hair supplements.

Goal:3 inches (bsl) by July and top layer of my hair Apl while straightened.

Starting pic see December 2011 pic at link below:

http://public.fotki.com/Bermudabeauty/3rd-year-all-natura/#media

Last edited:
Hi @bigbrowneyez do you have big brown eyes for real :D?
This is my first ever long strech.. i always relax at 12 - 14 weeks.
My regime for the stretch was putting my hair in box braids for two weeks.
I pooed, followed with apoghee 2 steps and alter ego. I was keeping it simple. It was working fine but the last month I have had excessive shedding and now breakage.

I want try the following regime that it
prepoo with moisturizing condish mixed with some shea butter and EVOO, JBCO
shampoo
Apoghee 2 steps
alternates weekly - Alter ego/AOHRS
Leave in Alter Ego and infusium

I will PS using french braids.

Im taking the following vitamins:
Hairfinity
MSM
Flaxseed and multi vitamins

Im really confused if i should relax or wait until the breakages stops.
My ends are quite thin but with the amount of breakage I have been experiencing its no surprise.

Rossy2010 Was the breakage before you started stretching? If the breakage is possibly because of the stretch then u can relax. I know when i'm stretching to long when i experience breakage. If there are other reasons then maybe u can wait it out before you relax. Keep manipulation low tho.

Last edited:
bermudabeauty welcome!Cute hair!!! Keep the protein up (and moisture balanced) and i'm sure u'll make BSL is not longer. No heat will also help with thickness and health. Do you plan to keep your layers in while you reach new lengths?

D.Lisha welcome as well! I'm oh so familiar with the scissor happy stylists. It's so disappointing to loose progress unnecessarily. I agree that being master of your own hair is essential. I only go to stylists for relaxers and thats cuz i'm scared to death to do it on my own. Anyways, your hair looks so thick and healthy i'm sure it'll grow back plus more!

Last edited:
Shelew, welcome as well! Joico Moisture Recovery is a very moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, tho it does have wheat protein. If you think you're overly protein sensitive then, maybe it won't benefit you, but i've found it to be more moisturizing than strengthening. AO HSR is a good conditioner as well. Another moisturizing one is Bed Head Self Absorbed. Very moisturizing as well. What products do you use as leave-ins? Are you relaxed or natural?[/QUOTE]

I washed using the DE moisture retention and DC with AO HSR for 30 minutes under dryer. No little hairs in the sink!! The leave in I use is ubh silky spray moisturizer. I let it air dry with it on. I was using nioxin thermal bliss but trying to eliminate the protein for a while. Uh not real sure if either do any good. But just glad no hairs were in the sink after the last washing session! I am relaxed and I am 9 weeks post trying to see if I can do a longer stretch because I do like the thickness that occurs. Here is my beginning pic i tried to upload last week. iPhone app has a spot to insert pic now. This is from jan 3. It is not a true depiction of just how see through the back and ends are for some reason. Let the sunlight pass through it and it's a completely different look :-(

image-2741205835.jpg

image-1171383922.jpg

@Rossy2010 Was the breakage before you started stretching? If the breakage is possibly because of the stretch then u can relax. I know when i'm stretching to long when i experience breakage. If there are other reasons then maybe u can wait it out before you relax. Keep manipulation low tho.

Actually the breakage has stopped. i washed my hair yesterday and i was suprised to get about 10-15 pieces of shedded hair. I was psing box braids and kept them for 2 weeks at a time but the last 6 weeks i kept them for 3 weeks. This time i just changed a few things up and got it under control. I really hope this is the year that i will start seeing the benefits of my HHJ. I have had ups and downs but now i know what is good for my hair.

I plan to relax on weekend, then I will know my length. thats when i can answer the questions and set my goal.

Last edited:
Just checking in. I've been doing ok with no heat although i did straigten it for a wedding last month but soon as it was over i washed it and put it right back in a bun. I really need to work on different styles but its so thin braid outs and twist outs don't work for me.

Just checking in. I've been doing ok with no heat although i did straigten it for a wedding last month but soon as it was over i washed it and put it right back in a bun. I really need to work on different styles but its so thin braid outs and twist outs don't work for me.

Have you considered braidouts put into an updo or messy bun? Or cornrows in a nice style? I'm not that versatile with my PSing lol Lately, cornrows have been my best friend.

Back