CNN Black in America--On Now

I love everybodies comments!!!! the one thing I like about this is that it opens communication. once that opens then we, the public can start talking about results. I truly think that lies with us and our choices and our community.

I watched this last night and was HIGHLY disappointed. I was hoping that this show would feature black thought leaders who would be discussing solutions for the problems in our community, not two hours of pointing out all the f'ed up steretypes about out it. How many times do we need to hear the SAME OLD CRAP. I am so sick of the media and their bullsh1t.:sad: And OMG...paying kids to learn?!?!?!? WTF!!! That's what they're supposed to do. What a joke!

I totally agree. I told my husband this show will not make a difference. There were no solutions...just comments about how difficult things are. This show will only make hateful, evil people happy to know how our people are suffering and making the wrong decisions.

I thought the show was just okay...I mean yes, they showed different points of view (wealthy, middle class, and poor), but we all know how they live...I mean everyone of us know people (black and white) in the same boats as those profiled....It was portrayed as a show that would give black people a new perspective...I didn't really come away with one...It also portrayed stereotypes that we're trying very hard to break...I'm iffy about last night...I want to watch tonight though, to see if those same stereotypes are going to brought up...this is all very interesting...I was watching it with my best friend, and she felt that the show was kinda setting us back a bit...Not enough answers...plus, the information that was given to us...we all know....well maybe except for the HIV stats and the stats about single women...My lil brother watched it and sent me a text this morning saying "45% of black women who have a higher education don't get married...you better get on it homie...two words...slim pickens!"

which is soooooooooo true....*sigh*

Keeping this thread hair related:look:........................................ did anybody else do a little cheer when they saw that professional black woman with WL locs? They looked GRREAT on her
Of course, I could remember her name because I was memerized by her hair (it look almost TBL to mee).

I watched this last night and was HIGHLY disappointed. I was hoping that this show would feature black thought leaders who would be discussing solutions for the problems in our community, not two hours of pointing out all the f'ed up steretypes about out it. How many times do we need to hear the SAME OLD CRAP. I am so sick of the media and their bullsh1t.:sad: And OMG...paying kids to learn?!?!?!? WTF!!! That's what they're supposed to do. What a joke!

yup, I agree with this as well. To be honest, I think that there is WAY too much emphasis placed on race anyway... I think we should just let it go and focus on looking at people as individuals.

Question. Did anyone see Michael Eric Dyson's brother on today? It was such a sad story, but I kept wondering how in the world did he get his hair so long. It looked like natural 4b loose hair, but his twists were soooo long. Maybe they were twisted locs? I don't think so tho...

Yeah I saw that! His hair was very long! But, they get creative in prison, I guess:look:.
I think they are not being 100% honest. The media that is! Spike Lee said it right, America wants to believe that blacks are doing so poorly. That is what they want to see. Although, all this told a somewhat truth, the very fact they didn't offer solutions prove, they are interested in airing dirty laundry.:perplexed

They make it seem alot of it is blacks fault. We share responsibility with the powers that be!:ohwell:

I think they are not being 100% honest. The media that is! Spike Lee said it right, America wants to believe that blacks are doing so poorly. That is what they want to see. Although, all this told a somewhat truth, the very fact they didn't offer solutions prove, they are interested in airing dirty laundry.:perplexed

They make it seem alot of it is blacks fault. We share responsibility with the powers that be!:ohwell:

I agree to an extent, because this was Soledad's personal piece for CNN. I don't think that she would exploit Blacks for the sole purpose of having a story . I was glad when there was mention of how slavery in many cases was a direct link of what is going on today. I was happy when they said that the Black fathers were ripped out of the homes for auctioning in slavery which lead to Black women becoming strong and independent and being forced to do for their family alone. I would not have appreciated them not mentioning slavery and past effects and how it relates to what many Blacks are suffering through today. There is a trickle down effect going on and I think they covered that explaination well last night.

I agree to an extent, because this was Soledad's personal piece for CNN. I don't think that she would exploit Blacks for the sole purpose of having a story . I was glad when there was mention of how slavery in many cases was a direct link of what is going on today. I was happy when they said that the Black fathers were ripped out of the homes for auctioning in slavery which lead to Black women becoming strong and independent and being forced to do for their family alone. I would not have appreciated them not mentioning slavery and past effects and how it relates to what many Blacks are suffering through today. There is a trickle down effect going on and I think they covered that explaination well last night.
ITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh and Dr. Dyson's brother's hair was crazy full & thick!! I thought they were locks twisted up.

thank you everybody for your comments!

I thought the show was just okay...I mean yes, they showed different points of view (wealthy, middle class, and poor), but we all know how they live...I mean everyone of us know people (black and white) in the same boats as those profiled....It was portrayed as a show that would give black people a new perspective...I didn't really come away with one...It also portrayed stereotypes that we're trying very hard to break...I'm iffy about last night...I want to watch tonight though, to see if those same stereotypes are going to brought up...this is all very interesting...

It did make a difference for me and one of my sons who watched it. We are "safely" ensconced in our nice little middle class life and we need a reality check as much as possible. We do community work, but that is not enough. My son recently did some work with men from a half-way house and he said their stories changed his life and his perspective.

I don't like the idea of paying a child to learn either, except that little boy was wonderful and it will help to give him a jump start on his future. Being bright is often not enough to break the cycle and get out.

Hair topic: It was funny when the dad was combing his little girl's hair, but I was wondering... "who straightened it for her?"

Back