Client tells of finding MAZANI in BSS.

hairmaster

My client called to tell me she found MAZANI products in non-certified BSS
(Asian Korean) store, wanting to know how the can sell it, I have told her that she couldn"t find it in public supply stores. How do I explain she shouldn't buy it ...

Alot of beauty supply stores here sell Mizani, Affirm and Dudley products to the public. I have bought them myself in the past but the markup is sometimes too high.

I got my 4lb and my 1lb tubs of Mizani Rhelaxer from the Asian BSS and i thank them PROFUSELY for carrying it. The black BSS wouldn't sell it to me :wallbash: but I got it anyway :rolleyes:

I got my 4lb and my 1lb tubs of Mizani Rhelaxer from the Asian BSS and i thank them PROFUSELY for carrying it. The black BSS wouldn't sell it to me :wallbash: but I got it anyway :rolleyes:

The same thing happen to me but with the Affirm. Now the black BSS is out of business.

Hairmaster, yes I belive it's the real thing. I spoke with one the the Asian owners, he said that they got them through the distributers and middlemen and that was why their price was higher for their trouble of making it available to the public.

(Asian Korean) store, wanting to know how the can sell it, I have told her that she couldn"t find it in public supply stores. How do I explain she shouldn't buy it ...

That's one of those use at your own risk things. Just explain to her that the product she is purchasing is more than likely not from an authorized re-seller... it may infact be fake (non Mizani product in a Mizani container), or altered (thinned out) & if her hair falls out or she doesnt get the results she desires... dont come crying to you! :nono:

But per the Mizani website, if she wants to check...

If you find MIZANI products at an unauthorized supply location, please contact the L'Oreal USA Diversion hotline at 800-503-3997, or email us at [email protected].

What exactly is the problem? Many people use professional products at home. As long as the person knows and follows the proper use guidelines, all should be good. I use many professional product myself and so do many of the ladies of LHCF. I am not licensed as a cosmetologist and I am not interested in becoming one.

What I am interested in is- healthy hair at home with salon results and salon product at times.

Several Asian beauty supply stores in the Nashville area sell Mizani, Affirm and Dudley products to the public.

So I ask again...................what exactly is the problem???

What exactly is the problem? Many people use professional products at home. As long as the person knows and follows the proper use guidelines, all should be good. I use many professional product myself and so do many of the ladies of LHCF. I am not licensed as a cosmetologist and I am not interested in becoming one.

What I am interested in is- healthy hair at home with salon results and salon product at times.

Several Asian beauty supply stores in the Nashville area sell Mizani, Affirm and Dudley products to the public.

So I ask again...................what exactly is the problem???

I went to 12 months of beauty school,and special training class by mazani before I was allowed to purchase their chemical products. I don't want my clients going into a bss and messing up their hair with some copy cat or water down product, thinking they are using the same things I use. I am
more than willing to supply them with the shampoo and conditioners to maintain a healthy head of hair.

I would just tell her it may not be real because of how they are usualy only sold to licened proff., then tell her she can buy it from you and be sure, and let her know of any dangers that may come from fake products ( if they are) or how you never know if its mixed or watered down, im sure it would be much more convient for her to buy from you anyway

What I took from his post, he express concern over authenticity of the products... which IMO maybe a valid concern... as several members have posted that they've purchase expired, fake products at Asian beauty supply stores in prior posts. I didnt notice anything about users being licensed or not.

I went to 12 months of beauty school,and special training class by mazani before I was allowed to purchase their chemical products. I don't want my clients going into a bss and messing up their hair with some copy cat or water down product, thinking they are using the same things I use. I am
more than willing to supply them with the shampoo and conditioners to maintain a healthy head of hair.

I understand your concern. I own the following Mizani products and have used the without any problems. Rhexlar- coarse hair, Neutralizing shampoo, purifying shampoo, botifying conditioning shampoo, kerafuse, moisturefuse,etc. I have 2 training manuals and a wheel that tells exactly how to use them. I bought the manuals at the BSS, too. All the product are authenic and so are the manuals.

My friend a stylist, said that they are the exact same manuals that she got from her JC Penney Mizani classes. Its not rocket science.

I would just tell her it may not be real because of how they are usualy only sold to licened proff., then tell her she can buy it from you and be sure, and let her know of any dangers that may come from fake products ( if they are) or how you never know if its mixed or watered down, im sure it would be much more convient for her to buy from you anyway

THANK YOU. I DID EXPLAIN THAT TO HER AND SHE FELT BETTER THAT SHE DID NOT BUY ANY AT BSS. I think she was shocked to find it there and just wanted me to know why they could sell it.

L'Oreal and Paul Mitchell are huge, huge diverters. I think L'Oreal in particular likes to see their consumer and professional products sitting side by side on mass retail shelves. And 99% of the time the products are authentic in the latest, most current promotional packaging. I think product companies could stop diversion if they wanted to, I really do. I just don't buy all of the "help us fight diversion" campaigns. They just don't care.

Remaining salon exclusive for them is really just not as lucrative as mass retail/distribution. If you look at their annual financial reports-- the ones they share with investors/shareholders, you'll see that their salon/professional segment makes up a very, very small portion of their total sales. Very small. They build brand recognition in salons, and that is pretty much all the loyalty they have to them. No need for commercials. Then once stylists have grown the brand into a household name, you'll start seeing more and more outside of salons. Pantene and Tressemme ring a bell?

I say a majority of the diverted product is real.:ohwell:

L'Oreal and Paul Mitchell are huge, huge diverters. I think L'Oreal in particular likes to see their consumer and professional products sitting side by side on mass retail shelves. And 99% of the time the products are authentic in the latest, most current promotional packaging. I think product companies could stop diversion if they wanted to, I really do. I just don't buy all of the "help us fight diversion" campaigns. They just don't care.

Remaining salon exclusive for them is really just not as lucrative as mass retail/distribution. If you look at their annual financial reports-- the ones they share with investors/shareholders, you'll see that their salon/professional segment makes up a very, very small portion of their total sales. Very small. They build brand recognition in salons, and that is pretty much all the loyalty they have to them. No need for commercials. Then once stylists have grown the brand into a household name, you'll start seeing more and more outside of salons. Pantene and Tressemme ring a bell?

I say a majority of the diverted product is real.:ohwell:

I agree with you, Sistaslick. Economically, it makes no sense for mizani to be super exclusive. I also feel that its slightly elitist/ridiculous for stylists to say "unless you purchase Mizani from ME, your hair will fall out" while charging a lot more for the product than it is actually worth. My stylist tries to do this to me, but I know for a fact that the Mizani products I own from my BSS are authentic...they work, look and smell the same as the products my stylist uses. If you are a good stylist, your clients will keep coming back to you regardless of whether or not they buy 'authorized' Mizani products from you. I'm sure you're one of those so its okay! :yep:

I purchase MIZANI rhelaxer (mild/color treated) as well...just used it yesterday as a matter of fact.

I've experienced no ill effects from usage and I've been using this brand for over a year now. And I'm not licensed. The conditioners and shampoos are offered right along w/ the rhelaxer, but I've never purchased those...too much moolah for my blood at the time.

I dont understand the big deal either?

Thank you ladys for your support, I try to give the best care to my clients and don't want them thinking I'm buying the same thing they can buy at the local Bss, after I told them it's not sold at a public BSS. It is a trust thing she trusted me to tell her the truth that she could not buy it at BSS, she saw it at BSS and then thought I did not tell her the truth.

i think the concern came from hairmaster just wanting to make sure his client is buying the authentic product...while 99% of us lhcf ladies have bought professional products and they've been real and nothing bad happened, he wanted to make sure that she didn't end up being that *one* that got a knockoff that was laced with nair :look: ok, that was extreme, but you all get what i'm getting at...

i'm kinda shocked at the way people feel like they have to defend themselves for buying pro products at a BSS :perplexed i mean, breathe boos! yall already know that you buy things like that at your own risk, and while you're confident that you've bought the real thing (and we're happy for you!), some fake **** does slip through the cracks of authenticity and somebody ends up suffering...be easy!

I see it all the time, and I mean the real deal, at the asian BSS but I didn't know they weren't supposed to sell it.

i think the concern came from hairmaster just wanting to make sure his client is buying the authentic product...while 99% of us lhcf ladies have bought professional products and they've been real and nothing bad happened, he wanted to make sure that she didn't end up being that *one* that got a knockoff that was laced with nair :look: ok, that was extreme, but you all get what i'm getting at...

i'm kinda shocked at the way people feel like they have to defend themselves for buying pro products at a BSS :perplexed i mean, breathe boos! yall already know that you buy things like that at your own risk, and while you're confident that you've bought the real thing (and we're happy for you!), some fake **** does slip through the cracks of authenticity and somebody ends up suffering...be easy!

Who was doing that? :ohwell: People were just responding to his point about how his client found Mizani at a BSS after he told her it couldn't be found in public stores. He asked if we thought it was real. All people were saying is that 1.) Yes, Mizani and a host of other salon exclusive products can be found in these stores, 2.) It's quite common, 3.) And most of the time, it is real.

I didn't see any defensiveness there?

I understand your concern. I own the following Mizani products and have used the without any problems. Rhexlar- coarse hair, Neutralizing shampoo, purifying shampoo, bodifying conditioning shampoo, kerafuse, moisturefuse,etc. I have 2 training manuals and a wheel that tells exactly how to use them. I bought the manuals at the BSS, too. All the product are authentic and so are the manuals.

My friend a stylist, said that they are the exact same manuals that she got from her JC Penney Mizani classes. Its not rocket science.

Okay. So far you have lucked up but there are a lot of people who haven't been as lucky. Just because the products come with "material" don't make it authentic. I don't know if you are aware but there is a really big problem with Asian BSS passing off fake professional only products as the real thing. It just a serious gamble and unfortunately you don't realize that you have been duped until all your hair is falling out. I can understand the OP's concern for the health of his clients hair.

Okay. So far you have lucked up but there are a lot of people who haven't been as lucky. Just because the products come with "material" don't make it authentic. I don't know if you are aware but there is a really big problem with Asian BSS passing off fake professional only products as the real thing. It just a serious gamble and unfortunately you don't realize that you have been duped until all your hair is falling out. I can understand the OP's concern for the health of his clients hair.

Well-stated, Adrian. And, to hairmaster, the original poster, his comment is legitimate, and suggested nothing about which members should be defensive.

Last edited:
I still don't really see where the defensiveness came in. :eat:

I agree about the Asian BSS part, though they often don't carry full lines of anything and the potential for fake stuff is pretty high dealing with them. Also the mark up there tends to be astronomical. But mass retailers like UTLA, Target, CVS, WalMart with full lines of new product? That ain't no coincidence.

I think it's a matter of the individual BSS. I know of many Asian/Middle Eastern/other BSS in the area who sell legit Mizani, Affirm, etc., because I knew the product before I bought it.Here, it doesn't really benefit them to sell fake mess, because they would have a lot of angry people, which would be more of a headache. They want to make $ and keep us as customers.In the midwest, where I am originally from, there are like 2 BSS in town, and most of the people lack the LCHF style knowledge, so they are more likely to be taken advantage of. I am glad to be able to get around the "you can only buy it from my salon" mess.A lot of Asian BSS sell Affirm, etc. because they have a real or fake salon, which is a criterion for them being able to sell the real thing. Now, I know of some BSS as well that seem suspect, and wouldn't buy from them.

Seems like a very legit concern given the recent thread on bootleg products from BSS. I don't think the OP is using scare tactics as much as he is informing his client that the BSS is not an authorized distributor. I thought everyone was for stylists that were concerned for their clients.

Thank you ladys for your support, I try to give the best care to my clients and don't want them thinking I'm buying the same thing they can buy at the local Bss, after I told them it's not sold at a public BSS. It is a trust thing she trusted me to tell her the truth that she could not buy it at BSS, she saw it at BSS and then thought I did not tell her the truth.

Is there something wrong with your clients being able to by the products you use at their local BSS? I am not understanding the devastation, lol.

Like it or not, a lot of unadulterated "higher end" products are sold at BSSs all over. It's not the end of the world. If you are worried about losing business don't be- if you are good to your clients and to their hair, they will ALWAYS come back.

Woosah!

Is there something wrong with your clients being able to by the products you use at their local BSS? I am not understanding the devastation, lol.

Like it or not, a lot of unadulterated "higher end" products are sold at BSSs all over. It's not the end of the world. If you are worried about losing business don't be- if you are good to your clients and to their hair, they will ALWAYS come back.

Woosah!

There are alot of 'higher end products' that are bootleg and there is never a way to confirm it's authentic; even if it looks and smells like the real thing..sorry JMO. That's why I'm sticking to getting my Mizani from a certified stylist/professional because I know it's the real deal. I think Hairmaster seems like a good stylist and I would love to have a stylist that actually cared and looked out for my hair like that.

Some of you guys should check out this bootleg thread pertaining to BSS. It just reinforced why I need to stick with getting professional items from professionals. I already got burned thinking I got the real deal but it wasn't. Luckily I didn't put it in my hair and I was able to get a refund.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=139735&highlight=bootleg

Seems like a very legit concern given the recent thread on bootleg products from BSS. I don't think the OP is using scare tactics as much as he is informing his client that the BSS is not an authorized distributor. I thought everyone was for stylists that were concerned for their clients.

c/s everything; especially the bolded!

Back