Client tells of finding MAZANI in BSS.

There are alot of 'higher end products' that are bootleg and there is never a way to confirm it's authentic; even if it looks and smells like the real thing..sorry JMO. That's why I'm sticking to getting my Mizani from a certified stylist/professional because I know it's the real deal. I think Hairmaster seems like a good stylist and I would love to have a stylist that actually cared and looked out for my hair like that.

Some of you guys should check out this bootleg thread pertaining to BSS. It just reinforced why I need to stick with getting professional items from professionals. I already got burned thinking I got the real deal but it wasn't. Luckily I didn't put it in my hair and I was able to get a refund.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=139735&highlight=bootleg

No one is disputing the fact that there are imitation products being passed of as the real thing.

How can you "confirm" that what your stylist has is the real thing? Is it possible that they can receive a bad batch of something?

The point is that there are ZERO guarantees in life, so proceed with caution. When it comes down to it, there are potential risks/negative consequences involved in every action.

OP I get where you're coming from

You charge X amount for Mizani but they can go into the BSS for the same thing at a lower cost, she comes back to you "Hairmaster :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: I got this mizani for $4 and you charging me $40" what's really good?

I bought Nexxus that turned out to be fake from a BSS and have since been very selective in what I purchase from them.

Hopefully his client is smart enough to know that she's paying for the product AND service, not just the product.

alwayzalady22;2606499[[B said:
B]]i think the concern came from hairmaster just wanting to make sure his client is buying the authentic product..[/b].[/b]while 99% of us lhcf ladies have bought professional products and they've been real and nothing bad happened, he wanted to make sure that she didn't end up being that *one* that got a knockoff that was laced with nair :look: ok, that was extreme, but you all get what i'm getting at...

i'm kinda shocked at the way people feel like they have to defend themselves for buying pro products at a BSS :perplexed i mean, breathe boos! yall already know that you buy things like that at your own risk, and while you're confident that you've bought the real thing (and we're happy for you!), some fake **** does slip through the cracks of authenticity and somebody ends up suffering...be easy!

EXACTLY:yep:

How can you "confirm" that what your stylist has is the real thing? Is it possible that they can receive a bad batch of something?

Because the stylist gets it directly from Mizani. If they get a bad batch, at least you can have some type of recourse with Mizani if something goes wrong with your hair. You can't get that with the BSS. If you try calling Mizani about an issue you had with one their supposed products(ex. a bad reaction or your hair fell out) and you didn't get it from an authorized dealer, you're out of luck.

trade secret/beauty express and jc penney salons sell mizani products to the public, the products are authentic and both places have sales, coupons and trade secret has a discount club

so your client does have other options other than you, i understand your concern but there are other place available to purchase authentic products

Because the stylist gets it directly from Mizani. If they get a bad batch, at least you can have some type of recourse with Mizani if something goes wrong with your hair. You can't get that with the BSS. If you try calling Mizani about an issue you had with one their supposed products(ex. a bad reaction or your hair fell out) and you didn't get it from an authorized dealer, you're out of luck.

They get Mizani from distributors just like everyone else. There are middlemen in this business which explains some of the diversion many product brands are experiencing. Big chains (as well as stylists) are able to purchase the same product from distributors and product companies simply overlook it. The sad part is that large retail outlets can afford to buy more product for cheaper which is why it is often discounted in those places. The prices are still high compared to the other products they sell because the salon brand name still calls for and justifies a higher price point in the mind of consumers.

Mom and Pop (usually Asian) BSS's probably do have "kitchens" but WalMart, JC Penny, Target, and ULTA don't. Product companies could stop this if they wanted to. It's not difficult to see which distributors are filling orders for Aunt Patty's Hair Salon and which ones are selling to Super Target. They know Aunt Patty ain't pushing out that much product. :nono:

Going through the trouble of taking legit bottles- emptying them out, changing formulas, and adding water is not easy unless you aren't a place who moves product quickly or sells large volumes of product. That would have to be a large scale operation to keep up with the amount of product being diverted and distributed worldwide OUTSIDE of salons, and trust there would be litigation from product companies crying tampering and formula infringement if this were the case. Now, if you are a small store that is selling 10 bottles of Mizani every few weeks, you'd have more incentive than a larger chain store that sells that in a couple of business days to doctor up products or hang on to old expired ones. So that's why I can see the small BSS's running into issues with fakes and diluted stuff because they are small time, they really have nothing to lose.

If most of these hair products are supposed to be fakes anywhere but in Miss Bessie Cut N Style, then somewhere there are alot of empty bottles lying around. Like I said before, companies do not make much money from remaining salon exclusive or catering their salon segments. Diversion keeps customers and investors happy. Stylists are the ones who are hurt at the end of the day.:ohwell:

Does anyone notice how quickly stores remove recalled products from the shelves in one company press release or email? Why wouldn't product companies pursue litigation against unauthorized sellers of their products demanding their prompt removal? Because they don't care if Hairmaster sells the Mizani or if ULTA or TradeSecret does as long as consumers are forking over the cash to support the line.

The point of my post was as long as one gets their product from an authorized Mizani dealer whether it is one of the salons/stores listed on their website or from their stylist/professional that's authorized to sell Mizani, they'll have some recourse with Mizani in the event that something goes wrong.

The point of my post was as long as one gets their product from an authorized Mizani dealer whether it is one of the salons/stores listed on their website or from their stylist/professional that's authorized to sell Mizani, they'll have some recourse with Mizani in the event that something goes wrong.

Yeah, that's what I thought the OP was talking about. Now I am confused. :spinning:

I took it that he was concerned that she was buying form an unauthorized dealer (the Asian BSS that he specifically mentioned). So of course, she can buy from Trade Secrets or JC Penney but personally I would be weary of a purchase from a BSS. The price usually isn't very different anyway, so I would go with the authorized person.

trade secret/beauty express and jc penney salons sell mizani products to the public, the products are authentic and both places have sales, coupons and trade secret has a discount club

so your client does have other options other than you, i understand your concern but there are other place available to purchase authentic products

This store is selling Relaxers.
I have now issue with shampoo and conditioners being sold as much as the chemicals.
This was the first time I ever stated a post it has been inspiring..

This store is selling Relaxers.
I have now issue with shampoo and conditioners being sold as much as the chemicals.
This was the first time I ever stated a post it has been inspiring..

Oh wow, they are selling the Mizani Lye version on the shelf in her bss? :perplexed Yeah, I can understand your concern on that one, because that could be trouble for her whether it is authentic or not. My Bss down the street sells Mizani relaxers, but they only carry the no-lye version.

and I see what you are saying Nixx. :yep:

Oh wow, they are selling the Mizani Lye version on the shelf in her bss? :perplexed Yeah, I can understand your concern on that one, because that could be trouble for her whether it is authentic or not. My Bss down the street sells Mizani relaxers, but they only carry the no-lye version.

and I see what you are saying Nixx. :yep:

I relaxed with my Lye Mizani relaxer yesterday :yep: i'm thankful for that Asian BSS that I bought my 4lb tub from for $40 that I've been using for MANY touch-ups versus the $40+ I pay for one touchup

I relaxed with my Lye Mizani relaxer yesterday :yep: i'm thankful for that Asian BSS that I bought my 4lb tub from for $40 that I've been using for MANY touch-ups versus the $40+ I pay for one touchup

They have the lye one on the shelves? I knew that you could get it from online vendors no problem, but I never knew they sold the professional lyes in stores like that. Thats news to me chile. :lachen: I've been workin' with my lil no-lye from around the corner. :lol:

And then see, you know what you are doing though, there's a lot of people who haven't the slightest inkling and don't need to be nowhere near no sodium hydroxide. :lachen: A leave in or shampoo won't do ya nothing, but some lye . . . I can see Hairmaster as a stylist being a lil concerned about actual chemicals, real deal or not. Some people just don't need to be handling chemicals period.

I don't understand. What's the difference between the lye relaxers you buy at Sally's (Silk Elements, Motions, Elasta QP etc) and the lye relaxers you find at the BSS's (Mizani, Dudley etc)? They all have sodium hydroxide, right?

I don't understand. What's the difference between the lye relaxers you buy at Sally's (Silk Elements, Motions, Elasta QP etc) and the lye relaxers you find at the Boss's (Mizani, Dudley etc)? They all have sodium hydroxide, right?

Those particular lye relaxers, Sally is authorized to sell them. Those like Mizani, Dudley, and Affirm are not available for mass purchasing. There are considered professional only salon products and only available with a cosmetology license through an authorized distributor.

Those particular lye relaxers, Sally is authorized to sell them. Those like Mizani, Dudley, and Affirm are not available for mass purchasing. There are considered professional only salon products and only available with a cosmetology license through an authorized distributor.

SALLY is not suppose to sell chemical products to unlicensed people as well.
but as we all know they do.

SALLY is not suppose to sell chemical products to unlicensed people as well.
but as we all know they do.

What?! I didn't know that. They sure do. In my area the carry Avlon products. Both the Affirm relaxer and KeraCare products. Those are the only thing they don't sell to people without a license. I had no idea.

My high end black owned BSS sell Mizani Butter Blend, Essations, ThermaSmooth, KeraCare, EVERYTHING and I LOVE THEM FOR IT!

With things going the way they are today I don't want any Asian products. They are recalling tires, toys and everything now..even fake toothpaste and diabetes medications has been found. All look just like the regular products but they are fakes. I don't go to the BSS anyway. I usually get the products I use from salons or directly from the online stores of those companies (like Aveda). Sometimes my stylist will get me items that I request also..if I ask her. I wouldn't trust buying any of those products from an Asian BSS. That's just me though...what others do is fine with me as well:yep:.

I got my 4lb and my 1lb tubs of Mizani Rhelaxer from the Asian BSS and i thank them PROFUSELY for carrying it. The black BSS wouldn't sell it to me :wallbash: but I got it anyway :rolleyes:

I know that's right!!

I hate going to Asian/Korean BSS's, but it seems that they carry far more stuff than Black BSS. Besides, in my experience the Black BSS's prices are MUCH higher than others.

I am a licensed Hairdresser and in CT, we get a discount on supplies....Black BSS always play ignorant when it comes to giving up the damn discount!! :wallbash:

I certainly would buy it from my trusted BSS down the street, and the price was reasonable. BUT I know there is the potential that it is a fake product. So thats basically all u gotta tell her is that she would be purchasing at her own risk. The reason why they dont legally sell to BSSs is because they can't confirm if the product is real or if it's a fake. There's been numerous reports of BSSs even adding cheapie conditioners to bottles and selling them. Also BSSs store their products for years, and some preservatives expire and can cause blindness if it's too old. So there are definitely risks involved of purchasing from an unlicensed dealer.

I certainly would buy it from my trusted BSS down the street, and the price was reasonable. BUT I know there is the potential that it is a fake product. So thats basically all u gotta tell her is that she would be purchasing at her own risk. The reason why they dont legally sell to BSSs is because they can't confirm if the product is real or if it's a fake. There's been numerous reports of BSSs even adding cheapie conditioners to bottles and selling them. Also BSSs store their products for years, and some preservatives expire and can cause blindness if it's too old. So there are definitely risks involved of purchasing from an unlicensed dealer.

BSSs get their products from the same distributors that salons and everyone else get's their products though.
But yeah, I'd definitely be wary of a BSS who doesn't move product very quickly. You can usually tell which ones they are. Those are the ones you're gonna find dusty bottles or even bottles that have been tampered with. Or the ones with the same 2 or 3 bottles of a product sitting there since the beginning of time.:lachen:

I've never used Mizani products, but I was shocked the other day to see the whole line at an Asian BSS here in very 'small town' USA. When I lived in the Minneapolis area, I never saw this line in any of the BSSs. The store was very neat,clean a nd organized, but still, I would go to Trade Secret or something if I were ever convinced to spend that much money on my hair.

I guess I'm going to have to take my chances w/ the Asian BSS because I need a lye relaxer. I'll report back w/ the results.

I found three BSS that sell Mazani and bought a relaxer today. One Asian store was selling it for 29.99 and the other store selling it for 19.99. I was so happy because I have no license and wanted to try this relaxer so long without going to a beautician. :grin: They both sell it from behind the counter and do not stock it on the shopping floor.

OP I get where you're coming from

You charge X amount for Mizani but they can go into the BSS for the same thing at a lower cost, she comes back to you "Hairmaster :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: I got this mizani for $4 and you charging me $40" what's really good?

I bought Nexxus that turned out to be fake from a BSS and have since been very selective in what I purchase from them.

OMG, How did you find out it was fake??

I know that's right!!

I hate going to Asian/Korean BSS's, but it seems that they carry far more stuff than Black BSS. Besides, in my experience the Black BSS's prices are MUCH higher than others.

I am a licensed Hairdresser and in CT, we get a discount on supplies....Black BSS always play ignorant when it comes to giving up the damn discount!! :wallbash:

Discount Do You Want the real thing,? do you still have hair....

I found three BSS that sell Mazani and bought a relaxer today. One Asian store was selling it for 29.99 and the other store selling it for 19.99. I was so happy because I have no license and wanted to try this relaxer so long without going to a beautician. :grin: They both sell it from behind the counter and do not stock it on the shopping floor.

WHY DO YOU THINK THEY KEEP IT BEHIND THE COUNTER????
Can you read the labels? does the product smell the same??

That's one of those use at your own risk things. Just explain to her that the product she is purchasing is more than likely not from an authorized re-seller... it may infact be fake (non Mizani product in a Mizani container), or altered (thinned out) & if her hair falls out or she doesnt get the results she desires... dont come crying to you! :nono:

But per the Mizani website, if she wants to check...

If you find MIZANI products at an unauthorized supply location, please contact the L'Oreal USA Diversion hotline at 800-503-3997, or email us at [email protected].

....:ohwell:

Last edited:
Back