Classic to Mid-Thigh Length 2011 Challenge

Tip for the Day! May 12th

Just something I do and a cheap way to have an endless natural supply of Aloe Vera. Make sure you start with a hearty/healthy plant(organic grown plants are best) and replant the plant offsprings.

1. Grow and maintain a Aloe Vera Plant in your home.

2. Snip off a leave/succulent and use the sap(gel) in your "hair juice" or conditioning product.

3. Follow your hair regime as you normally would.

Here is a link to the Aloe Vera Plant picture, description, and uses.
http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/aloe-vera.html

Things that make you say hmmmm.....:scratchch If you buy a aloe vera product... do you really know if they used a plant that was chemically treated for pest??? I guess we live by faith in so many ways..... I just wanted to share this...

Note & warning: Keep your plant environment pest free. If your plant has pests, Look at the natural ways to control the pest on your plant. You don't want to transfer any chemicals to your hair.

Those who live in Atlanta might be interested in checking out the June 25th, 2011 Organic Festival for entertainment, information, and tips: http://www.habeshainc.org/ogf/2011/04/test-slide-1/

Happy Hair Growing!:grin:
:fairy:

Tip for the Day! Friday May 13th

Enjoy some hair history.... I find the history about African Hair interesting...:scratchch make sure you read this....

http://www.ukhairdressers.com/history of hair.asp

Happy Hair Growing!

Well hurray for the knowledge that "TRue Africans" can grow long hair.

And the British would be the ones to have the history since they were the foreigners running around down there doing their discoverng thing. They did document ever thing. And alot of their painters captured these tribes before any one could claim alot of mixing started.

Thanks Candy828 I knew the evidence was out there.:yep:

Well hurray for the knowledge that "TRue Africans" can grow long hair.

And the British would be the ones to have the history since they were the foreigners running around down there doing their discoverng thing. They did document ever thing. And alot of their painters captured these tribes before any one could claim alot of mixing started.

Thanks Candy828 I knew the evidence was out there.:yep:

Thanks!:grin: and rarely do you see the photo evidence.... but here are a couple that I had found...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0xdmimFKL9M/TKEHq2oclHI/AAAAAAAAADo/m-7Iug_Gj5U/s1600/African2.jpg

http://beautifulmoth.tumblr.com/post/4452341194/sugabelly-i-finally-found-a-photo-of-black

Just think, that is natural hair.... if it could have been pressed out, no telling how long it really was...

Hi Candy 828,

Do you use braids as your main PS. If so how many do you use. I have always braided my hair but now I am using smaller ones.

I use to wear braids as a PS all over my head but I don't do that anymore because the crown and back of my hair is mixed with baby fine hair that is fragile and that hair will break off. So I am currently in wash n go wet buns then alternate to slightly straight to do my preventative ssk maintenance. (three weeks wash n go, one week slightly straight for the warmer weather)

From the ponytail messy bun pic links... I practiced doing a curly messy bun wash n go.... I really like the way it came out. Because my hair is very long, a lot of the curls hang down from the bun and it looks like I have long bangs but it's the hair from the pony. I took pics but haven't been able to upload them. I have a new camera and the pics size was too big. I have to get some assistance in resizing them. Anyway, I think I'll only wear this style if I am going to something formal or other special occasion because it requires my ends to be exposed.

just a heads up so no one gets worried. on the 25th i'm having my internet cut off so you guys wont hear from me again until i get to india about the 2nd or 3rd wk of june :)

I use to wear braids as a PS all over my head but I don't do that anymore because the crown and back of my hair is mixed with baby fine hair that is fragile and that hair will break off. So I am currently in wash n go wet buns then alternate to slightly straight to do my preventative ssk maintenance. (three weeks wash n go, one week slightly straight for the warmer weather)

From the ponytail messy bun pic links... I practiced doing a curly messy bun wash n go.... I really like the way it came out. Because my hair is very long, a lot of the curls hang down from the bun and it looks like I have long bangs but it's the hair from the pony. I took pics but haven't been able to upload them. I have a new camera and the pics size was too big. I have to get some assistance in resizing them. Anyway, I think I'll only wear this style if I am going to something formal or other special occasion because it requires my ends to be exposed.

Candy828 Cant wait to see pictures...I know its beautiful...

Happy Hair Growing!

Thanks!:grin: and rarely do you see the photo evidence.... but here are a couple that I had found...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0xdmimFKL9M/TKEHq2oclHI/AAAAAAAAADo/m-7Iug_Gj5U/s1600/African2.jpg

http://beautifulmoth.tumblr.com/post/4452341194/sugabelly-i-finally-found-a-photo-of-black

Just think, that is natural hair.... if it could have been pressed out, no telling how long it really was...

Candy828 All that hair pressed out...Is beyond floor length...CAN YOU IMAGINE?

Happy Hair Growing!

just a heads up so no one gets worried. on the 25th i'm having my internet cut off so you guys wont hear from me again until i get to india about the 2nd or 3rd wk of june :)

:woohoo:
your hair is going to grow so fast in that tropical humid weather.
Good luck and have a safe trip and be safe.

Are you saying the braids broke your crown hairs? And here I thought I found a new regimine of protective styles. So when you say wash and go are you daily wash? Sorry so many questions Just when I think I've got a routine I run into a snag. No pun intended. I find I have to take these braids out and detangle every 4-5 days. I guess that is not so bad but for some reason I feel like i am manipulating more.

Still finger detangling though. I know things are growing I have hairs sticking out all over the place. I just need to be able to take care of those ends that are sticking out.:yep:

Are you saying the braids broke your crown hairs? And here I thought I found a new regimine of protective styles. So when you say wash and go are you daily wash? Sorry so many questions Just when I think I've got a routine I run into a snag. No pun intended. I find I have to take these braids out and detangle every 4-5 days. I guess that is not so bad but for some reason I feel like i am manipulating more.

Still finger detangling though. I know things are growing I have hairs sticking out all over the place. I just need to be able to take care of those ends that are sticking out.:yep:

Yes. braiding the crown and back was breaking off my hair. I was detangling about as much as you are... but that was not good for my hair. For me that was too much manipulation. So when I say wash and go.... I co-wash (conditioner wash only) or just rinse my hair with water in the morning, apply my leave-in, glazing hair essence and seal with my hair regrowth oil (grapeseed oil with drops of lavender, rosemary, tea tree(substitute for thyme), and cedarwood. (I only finger comb) Then bun it up and off I go... The third week I use a little baby shampoo(only if needed) and Deep Condition. I let my hair dry in four braids braided half way down. The next day I do a light press... it's more like blow dried hair but soft. Then I do my S&D ssk preventative maintenance during that whole week(wear my hair in a PS bun style this week). On the week end it's back to wash n go for another three weeks. I only wear my hair down once in a long while...

sorry... I did not answer your question.... I co-wash daily by damping the hair, putting in conditioner but only with down strokes, then rinse. My hair air dries a little, then I put the leave in only up strokes/finger comb, because I am bent-over at this point. Then seal with oil and bun. My scalp and hair seem to stay moisturized. I have not had a problem. I don't get second day hair... that is why it is a daily thing for me... If I have a little conditioner build up, I just do a rinse with water and follow the rest of my routine...

Last edited:
Earlier this week I washed my straight hair out and it reverted back with no signs of heat damage. From now on I won't be posting anymore, but if I do notice a drastic difference in the length of my hair next year I will post pics in this thread. I will miss all of you. I didn't want to just stop posting without saying bye to all of you. Happy hair growing. I will be cheering all of you wonderful ladies on. :yep:

Last edited:
Earlier this week I washed my straight hair out and it reverted back with no signs of heat damage. From now on I won't be posting anymore, but if I do notice a drastic difference in the length of my hair next year I will post pics in this thread. I will miss all of you. I didn't want to just stop posting without saying bye to all of you. Happy hair growing. I will be cheering all of you wonderful ladies on. :yep:

i'm glad your hair reverted and there was no damage :grin:

but why go bye bye?

Hope to see you posting again soon, and you will be missed.

Vintagecoilylocks - I have been thinking while I was off line. It gets very humid and hot where I am and I would sweat my hair out everyday. So when I would go to detangle or manipulate my hair taking out braids etc. That wasn't a good idea. My problem was probably more moisture related. Now I don't have that problem since I keep it damp.

Vintagecoilylocks - I have been thinking while I was off line. It gets very humid and hot where I am and I would sweat my hair out everyday. So when I would go to detangle or manipulate my hair taking out braids etc. That wasn't a good idea. My problem was probably more moisture related. Now I don't have that problem since I keep it damp.

That sounds logical. Your newer regimine sounds like its working well. I had decided this week I may start alternating with one braid a wash period and then my old 4 braid. I will reserve the mini braids for when I will be super busy as to not get to rushed in the detangling.

I do want to smooth and straighten my ends but haven't used heat in over 6 years. No mater what I do they coil up so. :ohwell: I love them but they are some little babies to care for. When I was shedding it was a night mare.

jupitermoon

*I know when you return for an up-date it will be MTL.......God Bless!

Happy Hair Growing!

Aw!! we will Miss You!:sad:

Tip for the Day! Sunday May 15th

Protect Your Hair From Hair Fall

"People who keep shifting locations are susceptible to hair loss due to changes in climate. Moving from a place that has moist climate to a place that has relatively cold and dry climate can lead to hair loss due to loss of moisture. Change in kind of water being used for hair due to shifting location can also impact the hair."
by Subun
http://www.bukisa.com/articles/267557_protect-your-hair-from-hair-falls
At the bottom of this article there are "Tips to Avoid Hair Loss"

------------------

Shedding could be due the the fluctuation of your vitamin D level as season's change or where in the world you live???? Even though a man started this question on Women's Health website, it go a lot of interesting responses...

Seasonal Hair Lose
By imported_Richard (there is more written in his post)
http://www.womens-health.com/boards/general/640-seasonal-hair-loss-2.html
"I was looking into the use of Vitamin D for Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) for a friend of mine. Vitamin D is usually made in the skin following exposure to sunlight - it follows that the amount of Vitamin D available to someone is less the further from the equator you live and less in the winter months than in summer. This variation in vitamin D has been linked to, amongst other things, cancer survival rates, multiple sclerosis, seasonal bone loss and SAD."

---------------

Hair Care Tips for Hot and Humid Climate

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/b...age-0-category-7-order-time-descasc-DESC.html

---------------
@Mz.MoMo5235 - No matter the climate, keep loads of moisture in your hair... I have never seen "Indian conditioner" and conditioner is your best friend. I know you don't have a Indian store close to you now, but if someone on the LHCF board could ask the question about conditioners available in India at their local Indian Store, that would be a big help to you. You have to find out this important question before you leave.

Last edited:
Candy828

this is very true... i've been trying to decide how much suave naturals to bring with me vs waiting to get there and just see what they have.

i'm thinking on monday i will email the person who is coordinating all of this and maybe ask her what's available out there. lol i hope she doesnt think its a silly question :lol:

@Candy828

this is very true... i've been trying to decide how much suave naturals to bring with me vs waiting to get there and just see what they have.

i'm thinking on monday i will email the person who is coordinating all of this and maybe ask her what's available out there. lol i hope she doesnt think its a silly question :lol:

Be careful... Airlines have restrictions on quantity of liquid type items you can fly with in your checked and non-checked luggage. One tip you can do if you know your address in India, is to mail a package containing conditioner and other items to yourself at that address just before you leave America.

From my experience, coordinators usually have information about culture, where to shop, eating, safety and so on. When it gets down to the nitty gritty, the information may not be accurate. Get facts from actual Indians. Your hair is a number one priority to you. Others might not take it as serious as you do. Also, make sure you pack plenty of deodorant. yeah, I said it... that is something I missed coming to Korea. Koreans don't use it. They are not as hairy and sweaty as Americans and don't really require it to not smell up the room. So whenever I run across it here, I stock up on it. I don't know what the situation will be in India.

Last edited:
girl, i already stocked up on deodorant and tampons... i wasnt gonna take a chance with that :lol:

i'm still waiting on my address as i planned on sending all of my make up and nail polish ahead of me lmao they thought i was crazy for that one :lol: but like you said, i dont know the situation there, so i dont know if i will find my polishes and cosmetics that i use. i might as well add my hair prods to that shipment as well

i'm just worried that they're going to give me the info too late and i'll go with out for too long. i dont know how long it takes to ship stuff to india :(

girl, i already stocked up on deodorant and tampons... i wasnt gonna take a chance with that :lol:

i'm still waiting on my address as i planned on sending all of my make up and nail polish ahead of me lmao they thought i was crazy for that one :lol: but like you said, i dont know the situation there, so i dont know if i will find my polishes and cosmetics that i use. i might as well add my hair prods to that shipment as well

i'm just worried that they're going to give me the info too late and i'll go with out for too long. i dont know how long it takes to ship stuff to india :(

If they don't give you the address before you go or they are not really sure that will be the address you are staying at, check with the airport for shipping boxes as freight, the same day you are leaving. Example:In South Korea at the airport there is a service that will take excess baggage or boxed items for shipping as freight to the same destination and airport you are going to.

It's so funny... we are just high class, high maintenance women on LHCF..:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Tips for the Day! Wednesday, May 18th

Have you eaten a few almonds today? That's all it takes daily....

"Almonds also enhance your beauty. Almonds are known to make ones hair lustrous and give one a peaches and cream complexion."
by SKINSHEEN
http://www.skinsheen.com/skin-benefits-of-eating-almonds-548.aspx

I don't think our complexion is classified as "peaches and cream"... coffee and cream maybe... :giggle:

Nutrition of Almonds (The King of Nuts)
http://nutsforalmonds.com/nutrition.htm

Last edited:
Back