Classic to Mid-Thigh Length 2011 Challenge

Quick question:imstupid:?????:look: When you gals do a wet ponytail or bun.... are you waiting until your hair is damp and then applying a leave-in, then gel on the edges? I am looking for the details because I want to try it out this summer. I like the pony that Irresistible does...

Candy828

When I wet bun in the summer/I use a moisturizing leave-in or spray/put little HV whipped gelly on the edges & some on the length/My hair in 2 braids/twirl around/pinup...

*I wash my hair more in the summer...

Happy Hair Growing!

Quick question:imstupid:?????:look: When you gals do a wet ponytail or bun.... are you waiting until your hair is damp and then applying a leave-in, then gel on the edges? I am looking for the details because I want to try it out this summer. I like the pony that Irresistible does...

Candy828

When I wet bun in the summer/I use a moisturizing leave-in or spray/put little HV whipped gelly on the edges & some on the length/My hair in 2 braids/twirl around/pinup...

*I wash my hair more in the summer...

Happy Hair Growing!

So do you two ladies normally dry your hair before putting it up? I have been wet braiding and bunning. Is drying first less damaging? Your thoughts.

So do you two ladies normally dry your hair before putting it up? I have been wet braiding and bunning. Is drying first less damaging? Your thoughts.

I normally have dry buns in the winter in the summer last year I had braids. Dry buns are less damaging if you use a comb. Wet hair is more fragile. that is why you shouldn't comb wet hair. If you use a comb you have to be very careful and comb delicately.

I usually squeeze out as much water as I can, then leave my hair wrapped up in something absorbent for a bit, say 5 to 30 minutes, (unless I am in a rush to go somewhere). Then I apply leave-in, oil my ends and edges, and make my bun or ponytail. I can't use gel any more - ever since I went mostly cone-free, hair gels do not slick my edges down. :perplexed Only a little conditioner seems to work instead.

I normally have dry buns in the winter in the summer last year I had braids. Dry buns are less damaging if you use a comb. Wet hair is more fragile. that is why you shouldn't comb wet hair. If you use a comb you have to be very careful and comb delicately.

Thank you, candy828, I was thinking the opposite of never again combing my dry hair. So off to my journal to make notes. :yep:

So guys.... I might be going to India next month for 10mos for work. I'm nervous what would happen with my hair lol

has anyone lived in india before? Candy, i know you're in asia and have had some issues finding certain things. what do you think about this?

So guys.... I might be going to India next month for 10mos for work. I'm nervous what would happen with my hair lol

has anyone lived in india before? Candy, i know you're in asia and have had some issues finding certain things. what do you think about this?

It will be the best thing your hair has ever had!:yep: You will have access to the best oils and the climate will give your hair a growth spurt that you haven't experienced. There are also some very good herbal shampoos. But I'd bring conditioner. I don't know your location, so I don't know what conditioners you'd fine. I know they use Kerasys. This is a conditioning treatment imported from Korea. It is excellent. I use it to DC every week. It may only be available in certain areas though.

Mz.MoMo5235

Try a damp pony Irresistable does hers when wet or damp applies all her oils and conditioner and then puts it up. You could let it half dry then oil and pony it up.

India sounds great watch out for pick pockets and tourist traps like oh help me and they want you to do somehting for them or go with them somewhere be alert.
Otherwise I think your hair will grow, grow grow in that tropical weather hope you get the job.

Vintagecoilylocks In the winter my hair is in dry buns,twists & braids......In the summer damp buns,twists,braids & 2 days after/take out style finger comb re-moisturize,re-style & seal...(keeps hair from getting matted & tangle)

Happy Hair Growing!

Mz.MoMo5235 I hope you enjoy India/Please use caution & try not to travel alone (if possible)

*You should have a growth spurt like no other & grow beyond your goal/Try to stock up on oils too!...lol

Happy Hair Growing!

Vintagecoilylocks In the winter my hair is in dry buns,twists & braids......In the summer damp buns,twists,braids & 2 days after/take out style finger comb re-moisturize,re-style & seal...(keeps hair from getting matted & tangle)

Happy Hair Growing!

Thanks Lita, That was pretty much my routine except always braided. MY coils just love to stay on the move and slip out of what ever style and begin to wrap themselves around other hairs for major tangling. When my shedding started I prolonged the washing and detangling because of the horror of how much hair I was losing. That was the wrong way to handle that.

I think I will drop down to all finger detangling with a very light final combing. Lightly twist to prevent tangling and let it mostly dry first before braiding. I am probably over stressing my hair braiding and bunning while really wet.

Thanks Lita, That was pretty much my routine except always braided. MY coils just love to stay on the move and slip out of what ever style and begin to wrap themselves around other hairs for major tangling. When my shedding started I prolonged the washing and detangling because of the horror of how much hair I was losing. That was the wrong way to handle that.

I think I will drop down to all finger detangling with a very light final combing. Lightly twist to prevent tangling and let it mostly dry first before braiding. I am probably over stressing my hair braiding and bunning while really wet.

Yes.... braiding when wet will thin out and break off your hair!:nono: Especially the ENDS! This is something I can say from past experience. Mostly air dry and finger combing first is the best! :yep: Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
Go ladies do ur thing Imma b watchin 4 sure I can wait 4 my turn I'm no where near but my day will come again grow that hair ladies

Yes.... braiding when wet will thin out and break off your hair!:nono: Especially the ENDS! This is something I can say from past experience. Mostly air dry and finger combing first is the best! :yep: Happy Hair Growing!

Today was my cleansing day, I actually completely finger detangled. Only used the comb lightly to prepare for braiding. But while I was doing that I really started to wonder why. Is it just because I always used a comb I was asking my self. I think I will put the comb away for a month and see how I do. I definately did not loose as much hair. So I let almost dry while just twisted and buned before braiding. Took more time but if it is gentlier on the hair it will be a keeper. I had gotten into a rush rush routine with my hair. :blush:
It was nice to go back to taking time with it.

Go ladies do ur thing Imma b watchin 4 sure I can wait 4 my turn I'm no where near but my day will come again grow that hair ladies

Chemetria Hi! Thanks for the encouragement...You will reach your goal sooner then you think ..What is your goal?

Happy Hair Growing!

My first goal is WL and now my ultimate goal is MTL that's why I love this site I always knew women of color could grow beautiful hair but I never thought about MTL but I can't get ahead of myself I gotta get to APL first lol

:wave:

Hello Ladies,

Just coming in to leave words of encouragement. This length is my goal length so this thread is very inspiring. You can do it! Keep it growing! And don't forget to post those pics ladies! WHOO HOOOOOOOO!

:Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose: :Rose:

:dance7::band2::band::kisses::violin::club:

CurlyMo

WE
for the encouragement...Yes,as long as it grows/just trying to keep it healthy...LHCF has some beautiful heads of hair...

*Letting the world know/OUR HAIR CAN GROW TOO!

Happy Hair Growing!

i put streaks in

i'll do a trim at the end of the month with a length check lol

i'll also update with pix of my hair tomorrow once i'm fully awake lol

Back