Cathy Howse's technique

Re: Cathy Howse\'s technique

You can forth the recipe. I always 1/4 everything because my conditioner generally comes in 4 ounce containers.

Can someone fill me in as to exactly what the basic guidelines are in her system? Does it entail going around always with your hair up and wet? I've visited her site before, and at the moment can't get access to her book, so if someone could just lay down the basics, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The conditioner is 16 oz or protein conditionr ( I use ION reconstructor); 8 oz of EVOO; 4 oz of coconut oil; & 2 teaspoons of peppermint oil (essential oil). I just mix and there ya go.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems like a whole lot of oil.
confused.gif
What's the consistency like? Is is very liquidy?

[/ QUOTE ]

The ION conditioner itself if very runny, so adding the oils to it, yes, it is very liquidy. However, the coconut oil hardens a little bit, so that helps to make it a little thicker. My best advise would be to shake shake shake, before you use.

Tebby

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The conditioner is 16 oz or protein conditionr ( I use ION reconstructor); 8 oz of EVOO; 4 oz of coconut oil; & 2 teaspoons of peppermint oil (essential oil). I just mix and there ya go.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems like a whole lot of oil.
confused.gif
What's the consistency like? Is is very liquidy?

[/ QUOTE ]

8 OZ Does seem like an awful lot, is that a misprint?

[/ QUOTE ]

I get confused everyime I post this recipe because I'm at work and I'm doing it off the top of my head. I posted it a couple of weeks ago on another forum, but I'm pretty sure this is the amount..let me check again.

Tebby

Okay..here are the basics....

1. wash hair every three days.

2. Deep condition with protein each time hair is washed. (Use a moisturizer immediately afterwards!)

3. Air dry

4. Moisturize hair every day (first ingredient must be water)

5. Minimize use of heat(It's best not to use heat at all)

6. No brushes or blow dryers

7. Stop greasing your scalp

[ QUOTE ]
That seems like a whole lot of oil. What's the consistency like? Is is very liquidy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I followed that recipe and I don't remember mine being runny... There's a different recipe on the recipe board, though.

[ QUOTE ]
Okay..here are the basics....

1. wash hair every three days.

2. Deep condition with protein each time hair is washed. (Use a moisturizer immediately afterwards!)

3. Air dry

4. Moisturize hair every day (first ingredient must be water)

5. Minimize use of heat(It's best not to use heat at all)

6. No brushes or blow dryers

7. Stop greasing your scalp

[/ QUOTE ]

so if you're supposed to moisturize everyday with water first, are you technically washing your hair every day??
nuts.gif

I think she meant that water should be the first ingredient in the moisturizer. She recommends her Dew as a moisturizer but I didn't like. I tried S-Curl but I like Elasta QP H-Two better.

[ QUOTE ]
so if you're supposed to moisturize everyday with water first, are you technically washing your hair every day??

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm.. no

What she means is to moisturize your hair everyday with a lotion or spray. The first ingredient of these products must be water.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That seems like a whole lot of oil. What's the consistency like? Is is very liquidy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I followed that recipe and I don't remember mine being runny... There's a different recipe on the recipe board, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would follow that...like I said, I'm at work and can't check for sure right now...I don't want to steer anyone wrong.

Tebby

I used her techinique when I was permed and achieved alot fo growth and my edges grew in while. I just wondering if her products will work on my natural hair, because although our hair is naturally fragile, and break easily. My ahir is strong because I'm not breaking it down. I going to try and use her deep condtioner ( since I have a 16oz bottke of it already) 1x a week, and a mositurizing cond the other half of the week. So I'll deep condtione 2x a week, then use dew everyday.

I'll see how that works for my newly natural head.

I just copied this recipe from amazon.com . Someone listed it in a review of her book:

Mix these ingredients together:
1 32 oz. bottle of protein conditioner (I use Mane & Tail)
6 oz coconut oil (you must liquify this in the microwave)
3 oz olive oil
.5-1 oz (personal preference) peppermint oil (must be real essential oil)

They said she had this recipe listed in the first edition of her book.

[ QUOTE ]
I just copied this recipe from amazon.com . Someone listed it in a review of her book:

Mix these ingredients together:
1 32 oz. bottle of protein conditioner (I use Mane & Tail)
6 oz coconut oil (you must liquify this in the microwave)
3 oz olive oil
.5-1 oz (personal preference) peppermint oil (must be real essential oil)

They said she had this recipe listed in the first edition of her book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I used more olive oil and less coconut oil...I wonder how many versions of this recipe there are floating around...but I think you are right...I think it's 32 oz of conditioner.

Tebby

Thanks Tebby!

Is coconut oil found to be drying to some peoples hair???
I thought I read that somewhere on LHCF.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Tebby!

Is coconut oil found to be drying to some peoples hair???
I thought I read that somewhere on LHCF.

[/ QUOTE ]

It softens my hair, especially my new growth.

I wonder...could you use GPB as the protein conditioner in this recipe?

Also, I just wanted to mention that I used this recipe for awhile I used Sebastian Suedeluxe as the reconstructor. One thing to keep in mind is that it is better to make small amounts of the conditioner, because I made a big batch of this oil, and after time the coconut oil went rancid in the mix. It wasn't moldy or anything, but the smell/texture was definately off. I guess it depends on what kind of coconut oil you use.

Does anyone know if you can use gelatin (plain) on your hair for protein? I remember reading awhile back in a magazine that some poeple use it in their shampoo for added protein. Does anyoe think it possible to substitute this, meaning will it just sit on your hair, or will it benefit it? What do you think? Just as some people use eggs! Of course there are those that ssay eggs don't do anything for your hair either! Is it worth a try? You could make small batches at a time when you wanted to use it?

Oh, forgot to say thanks jubilee for posting the basics to the regimen, and honeydrop and jenjen, those are nice pictures of healthy hair youposted under your posts!!

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know if you can use gelatin (plain) on your hair for protein? I remember reading awhile back in a magazine that some poeple use it in their shampoo for added protein. Does anyoe think it possible to substitute this, meaning will it just sit on your hair, or will it benefit it? What do you think? Just as some people use eggs! Of course there are those that ssay eggs don't do anything for your hair either! Is it worth a try? You could make small batches at a time when you wanted to use it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you would use gelatin, but I doubt it. I seem to remember Cathy Howse saying she doesn't believe in using food on your hair. But anyway, there are so many excellent protein conditioners out there already, I would use those and not worry about the gelatin.

Tebby

[ QUOTE ]
When was the last time her website was updated ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea. I don't check on it frequently, but I did check it about 2 weeks ago and that information was updated from about 3 months ago or so.

Sorry, I know this doesn't help much.

Tebby

I've read Cathy's book, I've emailed her and she always courteously emails me back with answers to all of my questions. From the information I learned from her, I have FINALLY learned how to take care of my hair. I started out with approximately 16 inches of hair (from crown to end) last year in September, my hair is now 22 inches long (from crown to end). I have achieved 6 inches of growth. I didn't even recognize that my hair was growing so much until I measured it recently. I am totally amazed! I am using her conditioner and WOULD NOT be without the Dew. I use other products, however, my start came from the knowledge I received from Cathy. It definitely worked for me!

Oh, thanks. I'm just the experimentin' kind of gal, always thinking up something to try out!

Wow! I'm really surprised! Most of her basics sound just like the very things I've been doing to my hair.
smile.gif
My hair has been growing quite well too.
smile.gif
I just started the frequent washings (I do conditioner washes though every 2-3 days and shampoo and condition once a week). I'll see when I do my next touch up if it's made a difference in the growth rate of my hair.

Hmmm...after reading Tebby's testimony...I may have to try her products someday.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I guess she has her good days and bad days

[/ QUOTE ]

DONT WE ALL?

I wonder if Cathy does her own relaxer.
I know that she doesn't believe in trimming ends just out of habit and she didn't trim her ends to prove that it could grow long anyway.
If she went to a professional stylist they would probably insist on trimming her ends so she must relax her own hair.

I am going to try to find that out.

No she does not do her own relaxer, and she does'nt advise people to self relax.

She only not trimmed during her research.

She has a stylist that does what SHE says, not what they want.

Back