has anyone actually read Cathy Howse's book???

Re: has anyone actually read Cathy Howse\'s book???

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
There are a lot of great basic tips in Cathy's Book. I've said time and time again to anyone who asks that it's a great basic manual for people who are beginning to learn to take care of her hair. And no doubt, her regime will be a tried and true solution to some people's hair woes.

But she also has a lot of hate in her blood. By that I don't just mean her tone, I mean she uses the downplay of other valid theories to bolster her own - which is a sure sign of an argument that could be stronger. She's also just flat out wrong about some things that she doesn't even appear to KNOW she's wrong about.

I have the book, so I refer to it often - just when I feel like reading about hair and I'm bored. When I do, I'm always struck in particular by the following falsehoods...

1. In the section where she attempts to dispel the trimming myth, she lumps together those who posit that trimming the hair "maintains" it and those that assert it actually "causes" growth to happen. By doing so, she can lead one to beleive that SCORES of "hair care professionals" have mislead us for years - when in fact the two ideas she lumps together are completely different statements. I agree with the fact that growth cannot be stimulated by trimming - because as she says - the ends can't "speak to" the scalp and tell it what to do. But for some, the hair's health can absolutely be affected by a trim - and can even stop breakage in it's tracks. She leaves no room for this "fact", because she's too busy pushing her own. Why? Because it's what SHE did. Folly!

2. I also find it funny (not really wrong - just gives me a little tickle) that there are things in the book she elects to "cite to" in true research cite form - Milady's, Paula Begoun - but there are some "proven facts" that she never gives any reference or source for - she just states categorically that they are facts. Sandwiching opinions in between facts doesn't make the opinions fact. And I have never known anyone to do "research" and only cite some of thier work. Anything you set out as a fact that is proven by someone else needs to be referenced. That she chooses to do this sometimes, but not others, weakens her arguments incredibly. Even the ones that are sound. That is a fatal flaw in a body of thought that is supposed to have scientific basis....but sometimes she gets so caught up in making her own point "right" that she forgets she's a "researcher"....

That's not research - that's opining. Nothing wrong with opining - but don't try to tell ME it's scientific.
smirk.gif

3. She states that she uses Bigen haircolor because it has no ammonia and no peroxide - a false statement. She also calls it a semi-permanent color. It is not. It's a DEMI-permanent deposit only color. Now I wouldn't ordinarily bemoan these slight mis-statements - but this is the same woman who is adament that you call things by their correct names.
huh.gif

4. Her suggestion that EVERYONE can use a protein conditioner that is as strong as her own , and follow it only with daily dose or two of a moisturizer containing water is folly. It can work fine for SOME but there are people who can lose thier hair and have it break IRREPARABLY from this practice. That's just irresponsible.
nono.gif

All that said - I applaud her for doing her part in ADDING to the knowledge that is available for black women who want to grow long healthy hair. But she is doing just that (despite her protestations to the contrary) - she is ADDING. The information that will result in long hair does not begin and end with her. Shamboosie has something to add, Lisa Akbari has something to add, Wanakee had something to add, Caroline Grey had something to add, Andre had something to add, WE (hair boards haunters
laugh.gif
) have something to add. Whatever the relative WEIGHT of these additions, they all weigh in....and can all be a postive factor in achieving just what she CLAIMS she wishes to achieve.

That Cathy needs to be the answer - full stop - to black women's haircare needs, is a testament to the fact that she is more self interested that she claims to be. Nothing wrong with that. But in my world - she doth protest too much.

Come real with it girl...

Cathy doesn't come real enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen honey, when you're right, YOU'RE RIGHT!!
laugh.gif

Much as I love Cathy Howes, there's no way to overlook the truth in your statements.
Rose.gif

[ QUOTE ]
pebbles said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
There are a lot of great basic tips in Cathy's Book. I've said time and time again to anyone who asks that it's a great basic manual for people who are beginning to learn to take care of her hair. And no doubt, her regime will be a tried and true solution to some people's hair woes.

But she also has a lot of hate in her blood. By that I don't just mean her tone, I mean she uses the downplay of other valid theories to bolster her own - which is a sure sign of an argument that could be stronger. She's also just flat out wrong about some things that she doesn't even appear to KNOW she's wrong about.

I have the book, so I refer to it often - just when I feel like reading about hair and I'm bored. When I do, I'm always struck in particular by the following falsehoods...

1. In the section where she attempts to dispel the trimming myth, she lumps together those who posit that trimming the hair "maintains" it and those that assert it actually "causes" growth to happen. By doing so, she can lead one to beleive that SCORES of "hair care professionals" have mislead us for years - when in fact the two ideas she lumps together are completely different statements. I agree with the fact that growth cannot be stimulated by trimming - because as she says - the ends can't "speak to" the scalp and tell it what to do. But for some, the hair's health can absolutely be affected by a trim - and can even stop breakage in it's tracks. She leaves no room for this "fact", because she's too busy pushing her own. Why? Because it's what SHE did. Folly!

2. I also find it funny (not really wrong - just gives me a little tickle) that there are things in the book she elects to "cite to" in true research cite form - Milady's, Paula Begoun - but there are some "proven facts" that she never gives any reference or source for - she just states categorically that they are facts. Sandwiching opinions in between facts doesn't make the opinions fact. And I have never known anyone to do "research" and only cite some of thier work. Anything you set out as a fact that is proven by someone else needs to be referenced. That she chooses to do this sometimes, but not others, weakens her arguments incredibly. Even the ones that are sound. That is a fatal flaw in a body of thought that is supposed to have scientific basis....but sometimes she gets so caught up in making her own point "right" that she forgets she's a "researcher"....

That's not research - that's opining. Nothing wrong with opining - but don't try to tell ME it's scientific.
smirk.gif

3. She states that she uses Bigen haircolor because it has no ammonia and no peroxide - a false statement. She also calls it a semi-permanent color. It is not. It's a DEMI-permanent deposit only color. Now I wouldn't ordinarily bemoan these slight mis-statements - but this is the same woman who is adament that you call things by their correct names.
huh.gif

4. Her suggestion that EVERYONE can use a protein conditioner that is as strong as her own , and follow it only with daily dose or two of a moisturizer containing water is folly. It can work fine for SOME but there are people who can lose thier hair and have it break IRREPARABLY from this practice. That's just irresponsible.
nono.gif

All that said - I applaud her for doing her part in ADDING to the knowledge that is available for black women who want to grow long healthy hair. But she is doing just that (despite her protestations to the contrary) - she is ADDING. The information that will result in long hair does not begin and end with her. Shamboosie has something to add, Lisa Akbari has something to add, Wanakee had something to add, Caroline Grey had something to add, Andre had something to add, WE (hair boards haunters
laugh.gif
) have something to add. Whatever the relative WEIGHT of these additions, they all weigh in....and can all be a postive factor in achieving just what she CLAIMS she wishes to achieve.

That Cathy needs to be the answer - full stop - to black women's haircare needs, is a testament to the fact that she is more self interested that she claims to be. Nothing wrong with that. But in my world - she doth protest too much.

Come real with it girl...

Cathy doesn't come real enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen honey, when you're right, YOU'RE RIGHT!!
laugh.gif

Much as I love Cathy Howes, there's no way to overlook the truth in your statements.
Rose.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So true Tracy and Pebbles, so true!

[ QUOTE ]
The idea if softening hair after a protein treatment with her 'Dew', is just absurd. I tried this method, and it made my hair break off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost made the same mistake. I'm trying to remember where I read to apply a moisturizing conditoner after a protein treatment and not just a water based moisturizer...
scratchchin.gif
It wasn't from the book, that's for sure. Maybe when the forum was a Network 54 site...

And like others have said, her nasty tone, her "reviews" and her methods of promotion ( i.e. "The only proven method to grow hair") was a turn off for me, too.

Back