Caruso Rollers 101

Problems with Caruso Steamer

Has anyone had problems with the actual steamer not working. I purchased my kit today and was extremely excited to use them because I finally found an alternative to flat ironing my hair so much.

I rolled half my head and then decided to take a phone call. I left the steamer plugged in while on the phone (30 - 45 min.):ohwell: Now it doesn't work anymore.

I unplugged it added more water plugged in again and it didn't work. I even let it sit unplugged for a few hours and tried it again and it still doesn't work.

I'm kinda upset because I actually liked the way half of my hair came out. I didn't think it would work with my short hair - but it did.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone else has had similar problems with this product.

Last edited:
I love my caruso's. The first time I used them, I had horrible results. My hair was frizzy but after playing around with them and finding my hair tolerance for them. I'm now able to produce beautiful results. I'm now able to abandon, flatirons for good. If, I want my hair to have the wrap effect with a little bounce to it. I set my hair on the caruso's and then comb the curls out, wrap my hair, put scarf on, unwrap my hair and viola. I love these carouso's:yep: The only down side is, my curls only last for a day. That's why I'm going to learn how to do a real roller set:grin: so my sets can last longer:look:

I'm thinking about buying some caruso rollers? Is this something you plug in and add water too? I'm not that quick with rollersetting does it run out of steam quckly? Thanks

Have any naturals 3c/4a tried these? I'm thinking about purchasing some but I want to see results on my hair texture first.

Discovered these rollers on youtube. I was very impressed with the video. Came here did a search and found this thread. Went out today and purchased the set. LOOOOOOOVE IT:bouncy:

I'm telling you these rollers are awesome! :grin: I am so glad my curling iron broke over the weekend. I used them to spruce up my curls on my wet set from Tuesday- AMAZING!!!

Like the other ladies said, you don't need to steam the cap. Just shake them to get off any excess moisture and use end paper. They came out perfect.

I steam my cover, tap the excess off and let the rollers sit just a little longer than normal. It gives me a tighter curl.

Ohhh you guys just gave me a great idea!!! I'm headed to ATL this and was resigned to the idea that I would just use heat to achieve all my looks, but now I'm definitely packing those along for the ride. I mean if Delta is gonna make me pay to check in luggage then I might as well take EVERYTHING I can fit in the suitcase along too:drunk:

I'm thinking about buying some carusos, but i'm trying to figure how id use them.

-If i used them after blowdrying,would my hair come out like i had flatironed it? (i'm relazxed btw)
- I usually flat iron once a week after a dc, and go to the gym 3 times week, which usually ruins my straight style. I was thinking about buying these to take the dent from my ponytail holder out of my hair and to bring more volume to my hair without damage, does anyone else do this? I basically want to only have to flatiron once per wash cycle without bunning.

- Are they good for your hair because of the steam? Do they add moisture to the hair?

thanks!

Unaltered one, it's trial and error. I can tell you, being in this crazy Washington DC humidity/heat, they are the BOMB! I steam the roller for about 8 seconds and then as I'm rolling up my hair I steam the cover until I finish rolling my hair. This I have found makes my curl last longer. Just get it girl, TRY it, You'll LIKE it! Sally's has them on sale now for like $26 bucks.

I am natural 3c/4a and I use these on my natural unstraightened hair and I love them. It actually doesnt make my hair puffy, it straightens it a bit if I leave them in until dry. I only run into problems with them if I steam the roller too long (longer than 6 seconds, I have fine hair) or I take them out before the hair is completely dry. I love them and I was a die hard curling iron freak.

Another update on Caruso Rollers:

I was the maid of honor in my best friend's wedding this weekend. I threw my caruso roller set (just in case) and two curling irons in my bag for the weekend. On the wedding day I spent almost 2 hours trying to curl my hair. My hair is relaxed and at the top of my bra strap (sorry I don't own a camera to show updates yet) and every time I used the curling irons on the highest heat with holding spray, it wouldn't hold no matter what or who tried it. Last minute I threw some Caruso rollers in my head- PERFECT CURLS!!!! All of my curling irons are now in the trash.

I still don't know how to use these things.
I have bought and returned two sets already:nono:

My hair is always frizzy afterwards...
Has anyone gotten sleek curls from the caruso's?

I was going to start a new thread but figured I would jump onto this one instead. I bought CARUSO curlers today and just wanted to tell everyone that I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean I really, really love them. I was able to achieve the same look as I do with a flat iron and curling iron but instead my hair is soft and moisturized and bouncy! I could throw away my curling iron and never look back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone on the fence about it....like I was......just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The steam heated roller is SOOOO much more gentle then my hot-@ss CHI flatiron and Revlon curling iron. I used mostly the large ones and it looks the same as if I had whipped out my other tools!!

I am sooooo excited!

Jazzzmoods please explain what you did? I have Caruso's and can't figure out how to properly use them. How did you place them in your har and what product did you use?
TIA.

Jazzzmoods please explain what you did? I have Caruso's and can't figure out how to properly use them. How did you place them in your har and what product did you use?
TIA.

-I co-washed with VS So Sexy Nourishing Conditioner
-I rinsed and adde VS So Sexy shine serum and VS So Sexy detalngler spray
-Parted my hair into sections and clipped each one like I normally do
-Blow dried my hair using a round brush
-Used mostly the large and a few medium Caruso's to set my hair
>Let each one sit on the steam for 6 - 8 seconds....any longer and it was too wet
>rolled up the roller like any other and capped it off with the lid (no steaming the lid)
> left them in my hair (after doing them all) for about 10 minutes
>took them out and finger combed.

You can get end papers (very thin square sheets of paper) from your local BSS for about 2 bucks. They really reduce frizzing. Also, you may want to reduce the time you keep the curler on the steamer. I would suggest 30 seconds. Lastly, depending on what kind of moisturizer your use, it may make your curls limp or absorb too much moisture from the steamer. S-Curl is an example, your hair will not be able to allow the steam to evaporate if you use it first. So try limiting these types of moisturizers prior to using the Caruso. A light oil would probably work best. Good Luck! Once you get the hang of them, you will wonder where have they been all your life!

I need to try this, as a fine hair. Nothing else works reliably!

Bump, Bump

which rollers do you buy?
Caruso C97958 Professional ION Steam Hairsetter

Or
Caruso SalonPro Molecular Steam Hairsetter

Or are they the same/doesn't matter?

Bump, Bump

which rollers do you buy?
Caruso C97958 Professional ION Steam Hairsetter

Or
Caruso SalonPro Molecular Steam Hairsetter

Or are they the same/doesn't matter?

I have the second one. Its the one sold at Sally's. I don't think I've seen the first set before.

Has anyone had problems with the actual steamer not working. I purchased my kit today and was extremely excited to use them because I finally found an alternative to flat ironing my hair so much.

I rolled half my head and then decided to take a phone call. I left the steamer plugged in while on the phone (30 - 45 min.):ohwell: Now it doesn't work anymore.

I unplugged it added more water plugged in again and it didn't work. I even let it sit unplugged for a few hours and tried it again and it still doesn't work.

I'm kinda upset because I actually liked the way half of my hair came out. I didn't think it would work with my short hair - but it did.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone else has had similar problems with this product.

Yep. I have used these since 2006 and my set broke about 10 months ago. I was on my way to a party and deliberately decided not to curl the night before because I intended to do a last minute set with Caruso. And then it broke!!!!! :angry2:

But I finally bought one yesterday! :woot:

Question, I am under the dryer right now DCing. I am pondering on whether I should just rollerset today and then touch up with the Carusos tomorrow. What would you do?

Back