Caruso Rollers 101

Caruso roller are so great. I've heard about them for years and just got them a few weeks ago. It's amazing how they can curl your hair everyday and you get know damage. I started putting a half cap of Lottabody in the steamer and that really helps to set the curl. They are great.

bumping...I wanna know too

For me, I only leave the roller on 6-7 secs, if that. I also shake the roller off for excess water. If not, I think it will come out frizzy.

ETA: I have used caruso's since I was about 16/17 when they first came out and I'm 32. I think I was one of the few black girls to even try them.

Last edited:
For me, I only leave the roller on 6-7 secs, if that. I also shake the roller off for excess water. If not, I think it will come out frizzy.

ETA: I have used caruso's since I was about 16/17 when they first came out and I'm 32. I think I was one of the few black girls to even try them.

Ok.. thanks for the info...
OT... your hair is GORGEOUS!!

Ok.. thanks for the info...
OT... your hair is GORGEOUS!!

Aww thanks.

I do think there is a method to using caruso's. Its hard for me to help some though b/c I have honestly used them ALL for years and cant' remember how it was when I first started. I'm too lazy to rollerset, and its my main way of getting curls.

I have not tried them on airdried hair with flat ironed roots as someone said, I might try that but when I air...whew...its bad. Frizz city.

Aww thanks.

I do think there is a method to using caruso's. Its hard for me to help some though b/c I have honestly used them ALL for years and cant' remember how it was when I first started. I'm too lazy to rollerset, and its my main way of getting curls.

I have not tried them on airdried hair with flat ironed roots as someone said, I might try that but when I air...whew...its bad. Frizz city.

yeah, airdrying works well for some but not everyone. I see a lot of women that get smooth results from airdrying but that hasn't been the case for me I get more breakage when I airdry.

Thanks for bumpin scorpian!!

and thanks for the info MissScarlett!!

I'll give 'em a try one more time before I place them in my 'items to sell in the hair exchange forum' basket!! lol

How straight does you hair have to be before using the rollers? I'm natural, and I'm wonderin if I could airdry and use them with success.

How straight does you hair have to be before using the rollers? I'm natural, and I'm wonderin if I could airdry and use them with success.

i would think so, I haven't tried this method yet but adf said she does and flat irons her roots.

I blowdry my hair:eek: not super straight though, flat iron my roots/edge and parts that the dryer didn't get and then roll with the caruso's.

I am going to try just airdrying and see if that works, I imagine it would if you used a flat iron along with it.

I am 100% natural.

what kind is it? I need a better brush for my blowouts
showimage.php
Looks like this one but it's a knockoff. Mine says Ceramic & Ion. Got it from BSS for $5.99. And I think it's tinier than this one too...makes it easier for me to use since I'm a little clutzy though.

showimage.php
Looks like this one but it's a knockoff. Mine says Ceramic & Ion. Got it from BSS for $5.99. And I think it's tinier than this one too...makes it easier for me to use since I'm a little clutzy though.

THAT would take some major practice for me. It looks like I'd get into a big fight with it and my hair:nono: The brush I use now is not so good. I'm going to check this out.

THAT would take some major practice for me. It looks like I'd get into a big fight with it and my hair:nono: The brush I use now is not so good. I'm going to check this out.

not if you're just blowing the roots. see i air dry or sit under the dryer then blow the roots. but with all that hurr you gotta be careful if you're blowing it all out.

ok, i tried 2 more times and still didn't come out right. maybe i'm just retarded....

both times i did not add anything to my hair, only steamed the rollers for like 5-10 sec, then left to dry/steam for 45 minutes. when i took it out, my hair looked dry but felt kinda moist and curled but as soon as i put a comb through it, all the curls came out, i wrapped it and it ended up stick straight, not even a little bump... the second time i did the same thing but left it to dry for 1 whole hr. same thing happened.

i'm gonna try this ONE more time. :crossfingers:

Good luck dillard. I hope it works out! I think rollersetting is an excellent alternative to flat ironing. My hair hates me for flat ironing so much :(

ok, i tried 2 more times and still didn't come out right. maybe i'm just retarded....

both times i did not add anything to my hair, only steamed the rollers for like 5-10 sec, then left to dry/steam for 45 minutes. when i took it out, my hair looked dry but felt kinda moist and curled but as soon as i put a comb through it, all the curls came out, i wrapped it and it ended up stick straight, not even a little bump... the second time i did the same thing but left it to dry for 1 whole hr. same thing happened.

i tried it two more times myself. i have the vidla sassoon rollers which work the same way as the caruso's. when I first got them they worked great now my hair are so limp sometime si barely get a curl and it's really frustrating.

Dillard have you been using them right after you coem out of the shower. I have been doing that and I am wondering if that's why my curls come out really limp. I think my hair gets moist from taking long how showers so maybe that's why it doesnt work.

I am going to keep trying because I really want these to work. I know as my hair gets longer I'll be using them more and more.

Dillard...your hair looks crazy thick, like mine. Try not combing your curls for a few minutes after taking out the curlers. In fact, when mine are particularly moist and I don't have time to let them sit in the curler longer, I use a duckbill clip to make a pincurl for about 10 minutes before combing. That way, the weight of the damp curl won't pull it completely straight before you style it.

Don't give up yet! They're too good to get frustrated...

Dillard...your hair looks crazy thick, like mine. Try not combing your curls for a few minutes after taking out the curlers. In fact, when mine are particularly moist and I don't have time to let them sit in the curler longer, I use a duckbill clip to make a pincurl for about 10 minutes before combing. That way, the weight of the damp curl won't pull it completely straight before you style it.

Don't give up yet! They're too good to get frustrated...

ok, thanx katt. that sounds like a v. good idea! i'm leaving for jamaica tomorrow, i'll be gone 3 weeks and i'm gonna bring my carusos as my ONLY styling tool. no flat iron curling iron magnetic rollers blow dryer NETHIN!! so i'm depending on these bad boyz to get me through!! :spinning:

i tried it two more times myself. i have the vidla sassoon rollers which work the same way as the caruso's. when I first got them they worked great now my hair are so limp sometime si barely get a curl and it's really frustrating.

Dillard have you been using them right after you coem out of the shower. I have been doing that and I am wondering if that's why my curls come out really limp. I think my hair gets moist from taking long how showers so maybe that's why it doesnt work.

I am going to keep trying because I really want these to work. I know as my hair gets longer I'll be using them more and more.

no, i wasn't using them out of the shower... but i guess the bathroom has been more hot n humid in general lately... i'm going to try katt's idea and see if that works for me, u should try that too!?

I LOVE mine! I don't steam the cap, never even thought of that. I do know the first time I tried them, they were too "wet". The key really is to keep it under 10 seconds max. I heat them for 5-6 seconds shake off the excess water and roll. I will say it takes 15-25 mins to COMPLETELY dry depending on much hair I put and what size rollers.

Don't give up...they really are GREAT!

I LOVE mine! I don't steam the cap, never even thought of that. I do know the first time I tried them, they were too "wet". The key really is to keep it under 10 seconds max. I heat them for 5-6 seconds shake off the excess water and roll. I will say it takes 15-25 mins to COMPLETELY dry depending on much hair I put and what size rollers.

Don't give up...they really are GREAT!

PL - Do you add nething to your ends (butter, moisturizer, etc)? Do you use end papers?

I've had mine about 2 weeks. I usually just use a little elasta Qp mango butter, let it steam for 5-10 seconds and then roll. It takes forever to dry I got my best result after 2 hours of drying. I also take the cover off before I steam and using small sections of hair helps too.

PL - Do you add nething to your ends (butter, moisturizer, etc)? Do you use end papers?

I use Fekkei glossing cream...about the size of a pea, for my whole head. (But I use this no matter what I do)

Yes, I use end papers...in my book foam and direct contact with hair equals a :nono:

I bought the set Saturday and used them right after I permed. I got excellent results. What I did was After I deep conditioned I mixed a little biosilk and wgo in my hands and ran it through my hair.Then sat under the dryer. . I wrapped an end paper around the roller. Steamed for about 6 seconds and rolled em up. I wiated a good 30 minutes before I took them out. My hair was silky like I had flat ironed it. I am super texlaxed. So I was excited that I got such a smooth finish.

Okay so I used mine this morning!!

I had no body, etc in my hair before using them. Im 6 weeks post so I got some definite 'new growth action' goin on!! :lol: I only steamed the rollers. I didnt have ne end papers (will get some tonite) so I put a little EndAll on my ends. In retrospect this may be a bit too heavy but Ill know for next time. I steamed the rollers for about 8 seconds, shook out the excess water and rolled up the sections of hair. I put the covers over them after I rolled them cuz the rollers wouldnt stay on w/o the covers. I didnt steam them tho. I left the rollers in for about 5 minutes then took each one out. I didnt touch my hair, just went around the house and did some stuff. Then right before I left the house I finger combed my hair. I used a little Aveda Anti Humectant thru-out my hair, just becuz its super duper humid today and my roots are already boofy!! EndAll really wasnt the best product to use for this BUT I do definitely have more volume than before! No curls per se but volume, ya know? Im happy, I know Ill figure it out better the more I use them! :yep:

Next time Ill use end papers, use something lighter on my ends (maybe chi?) and maybe leave the rollers in while my hair dries instead of taking them out. I dont have pix cuz I couldnt find my camera this morning. But next time Ill take pix and put them in my fotki! :D

I love this thread and my Caruso's!!

This is the same problem I have. It comes out pretty, but as soon as I come/style my hair, the curls are gone.

How are yall getting your curls to last?

Back