Caruso Rollers 101

Question - are you all rolling the caruso's under or over?

Like when ppl do a rollerset, they roll UP (roller on top of the hair). Are you guys doing the same w/ the Carusos?

I bought the set Saturday and used them right after I permed. I got excellent results. What I did was After I deep conditioned I mixed a little biosilk and wgo in my hands and ran it through my hair.Then sat under the dryer. . I wrapped an end paper around the roller. Steamed for about 6 seconds and rolled em up. I wiated a good 30 minutes before I took them out. My hair was silky like I had flat ironed it. I am super texlaxed. So I was excited that I got such a smooth finish.

This gives me hope....I will be trying them on my texlaxed hair

I got mine yesterday and I'm trying them out right now. Someone metioned earlier that they used clips that came with the system, did you all get clips? I didn't get any...

Coming out of "semi-lurk mode"! I just got my Caruso this weekend. When I first used it my curl was kind of puffy. But after reading how to use it on this thread my second attempt is wonderful. I have smooth full bouncy curls.

I try to avoid using heat in my hair as much as possible after growing from a very, very short boy cut last year to nape length. I'm very careful to protect my strands! :yep:

Great instructions ladies!

Just picked me up some. Can't wait to try them i got them at sallys. I've read everyone's comments. Hopefully my first attempt will come out ok. Today was hair wash day so tomorrow, (I'm airdrying tonight) i'll use them and see

but so far everyone recommends

end papers
not letting them steam more than 10 seconds
leaving them in for at least 30 minutes
either adding a leave in or lottabody to the water
using something on your ends
and shaking out the excess water

Wish me luck

You all are giving me hope again.

I brought caruso's awhile back but was too hair challenged to use them, so I took them back to Sally's.

I love my Carusos. :love: I'm going to have to start using end papers and see if things turn out better then they already have.
Like many of the other ladies I don't steam the cap. I haven't found a need to.

I don't steam the caps. It will take forever for your hair to dry if you do that.

I also don't put any product on my ends before using caruso rollers. I've found if I do that my hair is too wet and the curl doesn't set as well.

Usually my hair is dry within 10-15 mins and I take the rollers out and go. If your bathroom is warm and humid, like if you just got out the shower for instance, you won't come out with a good set and it will take your hair forever to dry, IMO.

When I take my rollers out I just lightly finger fluff and go. I don't comb. Well, I try not to comb as much as possible anyway so take that with a grain of salt.

I Love Love Love caruso's. What took me so long to get them?
No more setting under the hair dryer to wet set my hair. I'll be carusoing all the way baby!

To help me out I set my hair first so as not to feel rushed. With having to get my hair parted and smoothed out while the roller was steaming.
I removed each roller 1 at a time and set them. That way I left them steaming for 7 to 10 seconds. Before setting I used a little bit of red palm butter.

I also picked up some conair proclips to use instead of the caps that come with the caruso's. I'll say those helped because the curls with the caps where not ready when the curls with the clips where. I used about 4 caps and the rest where clips.

My hair came out as if I had just done a fresh wet set with the full body and all. I finger combed it into a wrap and used Macherieamour's saran wrap techinque to romove a lot of the body. Than finger combed it the way I wanted.

Now how I'll sleep is another question.

I like how the smaller caruso's curls turned out I'll have to pick up some more or order them.

I took pics but since I'm on the HYH challenge I'll just put them in that album for the reveal when I make the album that is.

Last edited:
I don't steam the caps. It will take forever for your hair to dry if you do that.

I also don't put any product on my ends before using caruso rollers. I've found if I do that my hair is too wet and the curl doesn't set as well.

Usually my hair is dry within 10-15 mins and I take the rollers out and go. If your bathroom is warm and humid, like if you just got out the shower for instance, you won't come out with a good set and it will take your hair forever to dry, IMO.

When I take my rollers out I just lightly finger fluff and go. I don't comb. Well, I try not to comb as much as possible anyway so take that with a grain of salt.

I found the bolded to be true for me also. I use the vidal sassoon rollers which is pretty much the same as caruso's. tonight i used it without any product and the curls came out much better. i couldnt believe it. i tried using serum, mango butter, oil, and it still would come out limp. sometimes i would barely get a curl at all. but my problem is that I like to keep my hair moist and that would be counterproductive if I am am trying to keep the curls.

I've found my own little secret product to use when I caruso for a night on the town.......

Mizani Humidity Resistant hair spray :grin:

I've done this twice, once was unintentional, the second time to see if my theory would hold true. The curls that you get when you spray this throughout your hair (I haven't done section by section) are shiney, bouncy and not too soft or too hard....

It seems strange since the spray is supposed to block moisture, but it seems to react positively with the caruso rollers and I got compliments from men both times I've done this.

ETA: I don't steam the caps either.

I've found my own little secret product to use when I caruso for a night on the town.......

i might have to go pick this up.... i had a successful try on my carusos (FINALLY). I had washed my hair the day before and airdried in a ponytail after putting lacio lacio and castor oil in my wet hair. So the next day I used my carusos, i used END PAPERS and left them in for 20 minutes. It came out great, the only problem was my 7 wks of NG that were very puffy so I flat ironed just the roots. I was very happy at how soft and shiny my curls came out :yep: i know with more practice, i'll get better.

I spray it throughout my entire head and comb through before using the rollers.
I tried this yesterday, and I really like it. My curls lasted all day, and today I still have curls. My ends are smoother and my hair still has movement. I normally don't like hairspray, but I'm going to continue using this. :grin:

I've done this twice, once was unintentional, the second time to see if my theory would hold true. The curls that you get when you spray this throughout your hair (I haven't done section by section) are shiney, bouncy and not too soft or too hard....

It seems strange since the spray is supposed to block moisture, but it seems to react positively with the caruso rollers and I got compliments from men both times I've done this.

I've heard great reviews of the Mizani Humidity Resistant hair spray. This is a great tip. Last time I caruso'd it was super humid outside and my pretty curls turned frizzy. i was so disappointed.

I have never used Caruso's as my "style" immediately after washing. I mainly use them maybe a day or two after if i am trying to bring back some curl or go from a straight blow dry to a more roller set look.

I don't put anything extra on my hair before hand. i only let the roller stay on the steamer a few seconds- like 6. if i get absent minded and leave it on too long i will not use that roller, i will set it aside and let it dry and come back to it- so basically don't let it get too wet. I do not steam the caps.

Also, you must roll and set the cap quickly. if i am fiddling with my hair too much trying to get the roller on perfect for too long, the steam has been lost and it must be resteamed. it doesn't take long for my hair to hold the curl normally- just a matter of minutes. when i first take out the roller, i don't touch the hair, just leave it in the curled position for a while. then finger comb a little once you feel it is dry and the curl has set.

It ends up looking something like a loose roller set. it probably takes about 20 minutes

I tried this yesterday, and I really like it. My curls lasted all day, and today I still have curls. My ends are smoother and my hair still has movement. I normally don't like hairspray, but I'm going to continue using this. :grin:

Yay! I'm glad it worked for you. The hold and shine is amazing and it's not frizzy from the moisture.

Going to pick mine up today.

Last edited:
Being the PJ junky that I am, I just went out and bought these along with some wrapping papers. I'm going to try it today. I can't wait. :grin: YAY!!!!!!!!

But, first i have chores to do. :nono: BOO!!!!

I don't use end papers with mine, and I only leave them in for about five minutes tops...and my hair turns out big and bouncy, never frizzy. :look:

It maybe because I still have the old caruso model from years and years ago...the one you use with a little table salt. That may make a difference.

OK I am really interested in these caruso rollers but I am 100% natural and I do not blowdry or flat iron my hair to straighten it....

So let's say I stretched my hair w/ bands or something and then rolled my hair w/ the steam rollers, would it even work for me

I feel like this is a stupid question, but I do not fully understand the technology behind it even after reading the whole thread..it seems like most users are relaxed ....

If you can bear to sleep with them in the results are very much like a wetset. Very bouncy, and tighter than just leaving them on 20 minutes. When I did this, my curls lasted for a few days.

OK I am really interested in these caruso rollers but I am 100% natural and I do not blowdry or flat iron my hair to straighten it....

So let's say I stretched my hair w/ bands or something and then rolled my hair w/ the steam rollers, would it even work for me

I feel like this is a stupid question, but I do not fully understand the technology behind it even after reading the whole thread..it seems like most users are relaxed ....

No. I think it would leave your natural hair rather poofy.

No. I think it would leave your natural hair rather poofy.

Thanks for responding Caramela....that is what I thought but I had to ask b/c it seems like such a wonderful tool for quick & non-damaging curls!

I would love to be able to use the steam curlers though ...does anyone have experience using them on natural hair that is simply stretched w/ bands or braids...good and bad experiences welcome to seal the deal for me as to whether or not I should buy them...

I have a feeling airdrying or using dry heat is the only way to go when natural hmmmm

Thanks for responding Caramela....that is what I thought but I had to ask b/c it seems like such a wonderful tool for quick & non-damaging curls!

I would love to be able to use the steam curlers though ...does anyone have experience using them on natural hair that is simply stretched w/ bands or braids...good and bad experiences welcome to seal the deal for me as to whether or not I should buy them...

I have a feeling airdrying or using dry heat is the only way to go when natural hmmmm

missscarlet is natural and she uses them. her curls came out very pretty:yep:
you should pm her.

missscarlet is natural and she uses them. her curls came out very pretty:yep:
you should pm her.

Thanks locabouthair ... I left her a message in her fotki...her hair turned out beautiful!

I noticed that she uses heat to straighten her hair beforehand..I don't know if this makes a differnce..also, her texture is different than mine...

Does anyone know of anyone in addtion to missscarlet, preferably someone w/ 4A or B natural hair that has had success using the Caruso steam rollers

You know what gives me some hope that these can actually work for natural hair---the fact that the Maxiglide uses steam in addition to regular heat to straighten hair, and I have seen naturals use it w/ good results!!

But I don't even know if the steam rollers and the maxiglide are in the same category tech-wise as to how they affect the hair....hmmmmmm :spinning:

I steam the rollers about 7-10 seconds, but not the cover. Why are you steaming the cover? I usually let my set dry for as long as possible...30 min to an hour, depending on what I'm doing. Carusos are definitely trial and error. The first time I used them, I had nice big curls, but I couldn't do anything with them. Now, I think about how I want to style my hair first, and then put the rollers in accordingly. This way, I don't have to do much manipulation when I take the rollers out.

Back