Can You Tell the Difference Between Relaxed and Natural Straightened?

Can You Tell the Difference Between Relaxed and Natural Straightened Hair

• Yes I can almost always tell the difference

Votes: 79 27.2%
  • No I can't really tell most of the time

Votes: 83 28.6%
  • I can sometimes tell.

Votes: 128 44.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
^^^Onejamifan Have you tried the maxiglide/miniglide?

ETA: Your hair looks spectacular!!!:blush:

Word!

Sidenote: Hey miss gymfreak do you have a hair pix somewhere? I wanna see!:grin:

I have some pics from when I colored my hair in my blog. I haven't taken any since really. I have cut my hair a couple of times since that picture. I currently have graduated bob with sienna miller type bangs. I inverted it this summer so now it is growing back out. Don't really feel like relaxing my hair anymore but I don't want to go natural either so :ohwell: :lol:

Thanks everyone who participated in the poll and discussion. Seems like the thread is taking a turn for the worse. :perplexed

Let not get the thread locked pretty please lol :nono:

Meh:yawn:(@the detours, not the OP or original thread topic)...

Anyways, for me it's sort of like trying to tell if someone is gay. There are certain [logical] hallmarks associated with afro-textured straightened natural and relaxed hair that can be a give-away but I can't say for sure either way. Between my familiarity with dominican salons and the fact that I've never asked someone if they were natural or relaxed, my experience isn't really a sufficient basis for a conclusive opinion.

some people in this thread *serious side eye*

sometimes i can , In real life i always can. on hair forums(and of course assuming it's all healthy,) some relaxed heads looked relaxed and some straightened naturals look natural even if it's bone straight . there are others that i have NO clue.

for me it's nothing about thickness, swang or any of that but idk some relaxed heads just look relaxed and some natural straighten hair looks natural and some i can't tell

Meh:yawn:(@the detours, not the OP or original thread topic)...

Anyways, for me it's sort of like trying to tell if someone is gay. There are certain [logical] hallmarks associated with afro-textured straightened natural and relaxed hair that can be a give-away but I can't say for sure either way. Between my familiarity with dominican salons and the fact that I've never asked someone if they were natural or relaxed, my experience isn't really a sufficient basis for a conclusive opinion.

For moi, you are always the voice of reason...:notworthy

Here's a good example of someone who could go either way:

catchreleaseprem19.jpg

I've seen a couple of pics of her where it looked like her roots were reverting, but it could have been newgrowth. Either way, it's gorgeous!

ETA: Here's a pic of what could be reversion

ActressKeesh_Cohen_14919119.jpg

Last edited:
But thats the thing!!! LOL

No one even said anything about "creamy crackhead" or "Pathetic white washed self-haters"! YOU are bringing that up, lol. Do you think you are a creamy crackhead or a pathetic white washed self-hater? bc no one else in this thread even alluded to those things.

still waiting on the quote of anyone bashing naturals.

:look:

Here's a pic from when I discovered one side of my head was jacked. apologies, it was actually the right side.
wr52g.jpg

I blame it on the shampoo I had been using, as well as wearing puffs (the band typically falls right where it broke off); but I don't know why it was just one side of my head. :ohwell: I saw the hair seemed a little shorter around there, but it didn't seem all that bad with my usual styles until I saw it with the press. My shrinkage totally hid the severity of it. I probably would have just continued on... :look:

Glad to say I caught it in enough time and it's back to normal on that side of my head again, but that cost me a trim and new layers. :rolleyes: I'd probably be APL by now... :cry3:
2vvw5xf.jpg

It certainly does look healthier now. :yep:

I would love to see the quote of who said this. I mean, really? All of that from a couple of posts by people who say they think natural hair hangs heavier? Really?

I never said that such things ie creamy crack, etc were mentioned on THIS particular thread.

However other snide remarks have been made here. Obviously Im not delusional seeing that Im not the only one saying something about it.

Always thought she wore a weave, maybe cos her hair is always "big"

That's one reason I lean toward natural, because that "bigness" could be caused by reversion.

Here's mine last time I flat ironed:

S7307723.jpg

S7307721.jpg

Mine looks big too, because it started to puff up. Then again, it did that when I was texlaxed, too.

I don't know what my point was.:lol:

I dont know why, but I laughed. :lachen: what a weird comparison.

lol Glad to add some levity, I chuckled as I writing it.

It's just one of thosd things where the most blatant, noticeable examples form our impression of what's stereotypical, or typical, for that matter. The distinguisghing traits are often rooted in some deeper reason but they're not consistent or absolute enough to make a conclusion in each instance you encounter.

well to answer original question,,im not sure. with me it depends on type. I can't tell the difference between type 3 hair relaxed or natural w/press or flat iron. when its straight it always seems silky, shiny, bouncy.
is there a natural type 4 with straight hair on here?(not talking about pinkskates..imo shes a 3)anyone else. I don't see many natural type 4's straaaight!

and SB i can tell the difference between your natural and your relaxed hair.but mayvbe because i know already:lachen: either way its goregeous!!

Last edited:
Also, I don't think theres anything inaccurate about someone saying that natural straightened hair has more weight to it.

To me thats scientific fact.

The relaxing process penetrates into the cortex of the hair, the cross-bonds (sulfur and hydrogen) are broken so you're stripping the hair of one of its characteristics.........purposefully. So it would be fair to say that natural straightened hair has more weight to it, considering the fact that the integrity of the shaft is still intact.
I must be a scientific mistake then, because my relaxed hair surely was heavier than my natural hair, my heat straightened hair can be very 'wispy' unless I use/do the right things. I didnt post this up-thread, but I also feel your hair looks natural while straightened-which is not a bad thing of course-it looks like what it is

re: This thread, whenever people make generalizations about another's hair choice there are going to be people taking offense. This goes both ways of course... Natural or relaxed. I do feel that Natural hair overall was glorified in this thread many times over. Its fine that naturals' feel that way, again, its the generalizations that are stated as 'sweeping across the board' that are offensive. And that did take place in this thread, people aren't just seeing things. There are no 'across the board' absolute truths about either Natural or Relaxed hair. Every head of hair is different. This thread was an invite to speak about 'other's' hair, that's where the problem comes in.So I will just speak for 'me'. Although I feel that 'My' natural hair is more healthy ,way more thicker and longer than it ever was with a relaxer. This would not apply to everyone.

For my hair, there is a HUGE difference when I heat straighten than when I was relaxed, there is ALOT more hair, although I can get it straight, not one single product yet has proven to fight of ANY moisture that might be in the air that will make it revert. My pressed hair almost always has texture to it and if it doesnt start out that way-its only a matter of time

as far as telling on other people, I don't feel I can, I wouldn't bother to even. I know for a fact there are healthy beautiful Thick relaxed heads. I could never assume by that fact or 'appearance' alone that they are natural.

Last edited:
I must be a scientific mistake then, because my relaxed hair surely was heavier than my natural hair, my heat straightened hair can be very 'wispy' unless I use/do the right things. I didnt post this up-thread, but I also feel your hair looks natural while straightened-which is not a bad thing of course-it looks like what it is

re: This thread, whenever people make generalizations about another's hair choice there are going to be people taking offense. This goes both ways of course Natural or relaxed. I do feel that Natural hair overall was glorified in this thread many times over. Its fine that naturals' feel that way, again, its the generalizations stated that are stated as 'sweeping across the board' that are offensive. And that did take place in this thread, people aren't just seeing things. There are not 'across the board' truths about Natural or Relaxed hair that are a truth. Every head of hair is different. This thread was in invite to speak about 'other's' hair, that's where the problem comes in. Although I feel that 'My' natural hair is more healthy , thick and longer than it ever was with a relaxer. This would not apply to everyone.

For my hair, there is a HUGE difference when I heat straighten than when I was relaxed, there is ALOT more hair, although I can get it straight, not one single product yet has proven to fight of ANY moisture in the air that will make it revert. My pressed hair almost always has texture to it and if it doesnt start out that way-its only a matter of time

as far as telling on other people, I don't feel I can, I wouldn't bother to even. I know for a fact there are thick healthy beautiful relaxed heads. I could never assume by that fact alone that they are natural.

Excellent post on so many levels! Thank you!

well to answer original question,,im not sure. with me it depends on type. I can't tell the difference between type 3 hair relaxed or natural w/press or flat iron. when its straight it always seems silky, shiny, bouncy.
is there a natural type 4 with straight hair on here?(not talking about pinkskates..imo shes a 3)anyone else. I don't see many natural type 4's straaaight!

and SB i can tell the difference between your natural and your relaxed hair.but mayvbe because i know already:lachen: either way its goregeous!!

You know who's a good example of that sylver? GabannaGirl, she's a straight natural 4a from what I recall. It said she was natural in her siggy and I STILL had to ask to double check if she still was natural because she presses PIN straight and its sooooo silky. She started that popular thread on caruso rollers.

I press going for the pin straight look too but it always still has some level of texture which I like. My most recent press I would say is pretty straight.

ETA: Excellent points Irresistable

Attachments

• Lisa's Pictures 118.jpg
    Lisa's Pictures 118.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Lisa's Pictures 119.jpg
    Lisa's Pictures 119.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 61
  • Lisa's Pictures.jpg
    Lisa's Pictures.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Lisa's Pictures 141.jpg
    Lisa's Pictures 141.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Thank you, and you just reminded me of my point! :lol:

I think there are too many factors to generalize. I think flat ironed type 4 hair always has some texture, but pressed type 4s do look similar to relaxed hair (I think it's the marcels. Ceramic irons don't get type 4 hair bone straight. I've never seen it.)

Just like the girl I posted...her hair looked like it could be either relaxed or a marcel press. The only thing that stands out to me is her reversion, because it looks a lot like mine.:yep:

ETA: Region is also a factor. In LA, you can't tell them apart because there's no humidity. Here in GA, where it's humid even in the dead of winter :lol:, you can tell.

Last edited:
re: This thread, whenever people make generalizations about another's hair choice there are going to be people taking offense. This goes both ways of course... Natural or relaxed. I do feel that Natural hair overall was glorified in this thread many times over. Its fine that naturals' feel that way, again, its the generalizations that are stated as 'sweeping across the board' that are offensive. And that did take place in this thread, people aren't just seeing things. There are no 'across the board' absolute truths about either Natural or Relaxed hair. Every head of hair is different. This thread was an invite to speak about 'other's' hair, that's where the problem comes in.So I will just speak for 'me'. Although I feel that 'My' natural hair is more healthy ,way more thicker and longer than it ever was with a relaxer. This would not apply to everyone.

Thank you x 10. :yep:

Anyone with eyes can see the difference between relaxed hair and straightened natural hair.

When you press natural hair, the heat of the flat iron shoots out a skittle-esque rainbow that dances upon the chemically unaltered strands!

The hair is as bouncy as newborn kittens playing on an air mattress inside a snowglobe.

And the shine.... the shine is more glittery than Edward from Twilight!

Straightened natural hair looks as though G-ds own hand reached out from the heavens and touched the head of the wearer. The halo should be a dead give away.

I mean really, Duh!

OMG I can't breathe!!!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

When I flatiron my hair... Skittles pop out and birds chirp at my window sill, little mice wash my dishes :grin:

For my hair, there is a HUGE difference when I heat straighten than when I was relaxed, there is ALOT more hair, although I can get it straight, not one single product yet has proven to fight of ANY moisture that might be in the air that will make it revert. My pressed hair almost always has texture to it and if it doesnt start out that way-its only a matter of time

as far as telling on other people, I don't feel I can, I wouldn't bother to even. I know for a fact there are healthy beautiful Thick relaxed heads. I could never assume by that fact or 'appearance' alone that they are natural.
Agreed with the bolded but hopefully we can all take a step back and realize that both have their place and are style options for us.

As for your hair which is gorgeous! Just had to say that for no reason other than it is.:grin:

My natural hair will not revert and poof up quickly but I've found that sabino did the trick to keep it in it's place. I usually do my own but I also let a previous hairstylist (when I was in l.a) do it. In my siggy my hair did pouf up but that was after a week of rain. I had an umbrella but the moisture should've just made it completely revert. Also occasionally I had to run in a store and forgot it and it drizzled a little on my hair. I remember this week well as it was the KY derby and I was visiting my parents and trying out sabino moisture block. I think it did pretty well to be in the rain so much. This wasn't this year's derby but the previous one.

I do think also that with the right tools natrual hair can look relaxed (at least in the beginning:grin:). My previous hairstylists had my press looking so silky and smooth. Of course if enough water comes into play its another story.

Last edited:
OMG I can't breathe!!!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

When I flatiron my hair... Skittles pop out and birds chirp at my window sill, little mice wash my dishes :grin:

BM.....girl

little mice wash your dishes?? (just laughing at the randomness of that one)

But , dang, I need to get me some of that!!!:lachen:

@Crackers Phinn, gurl you kilt it ! :lachen:

Agreed with the bolded but hopefully we can all take a step back and realize that both have their place and are style options for us.

As for your hair which is gorgeous! Just had to say that for no reason other than it is.:grin:

My natural hair will not revert and poof up quickly but I've found that sabino did the trick to keep it in it's place. I usually do my own but I also let a previous hairstylist (when I was in l.a) do it. In my siggy my hair did pouf up but that was after a week of rain. I had an umbrella but the moisture should've just made it completely revert. Also occasionally I had to run in a store and forgot it and it drizzled a little on my hair. I remember this week well as it was the KY derby and I was visiting my parents and trying out sabino moisture block. I think it did pretty well to be in the rain so much. This wasn't this year's derby but the previous one.

I do think also that with the right tools natrual hair can look relaxed (at least in the beginning:grin:). My previous hairstylists had my press looking so silky and smooth. Of course if enough water comes into play its another story.
Thank you girl! :flowers:
okay , confession, I have not tried SMB *picture me eating my words* LOL

I am kinda scurred of any product that keep moisture out like that. Had a really bad experience with Aveda Anti- humectant , yeah it kept moisture out-but it kept the good/needed kind of moisture out too-the only thing that fixed my hair was their opposite product , the humectant

To answer the original question.....Pressed hair tends to look more dense. I also think it has something to do with your hair type.

I agree. Natural pressed tends to look more denser to me on average.

I'm a 4a natural who presses.

Back