Can You Tell the Difference Between Relaxed and Natural Straightened?

Can You Tell the Difference Between Relaxed and Natural Straightened Hair

• Yes I can almost always tell the difference

Votes: 79 27.2%
  • No I can't really tell most of the time

Votes: 83 28.6%
  • I can sometimes tell.

Votes: 128 44.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That comment was many things but subtle wasn't one of them.

lol - I guess you're right. What I was trying to say is that it was indirect jab at relaxed hair under the guise of being a compliment to natural hair. Then again - it really wasn't even indirect was it? :spinning:

Honestly I don't think this thread was that bad at the beginning. There was an undercurrent of the "natural superiority" sentiment in some of the posts but nothing outrageously derogatory about relaxed heads. People do have a right to their own opinions but generalizations in general are irksome.

All that I am going to say is .... results, baby.

The difference between my natural hair and relaxed hair is night and day. I tried and tried and tried and tried to get my natural hair healthy. :wallbash:

Relaxed hair just works FOR ME! Natural hair works for others. Both can look good if well maintained.

I am very happy with my decision :grin:. My relaxed hair is healthy and fairly thick.

Who am I to say what is best/better for another adult?? :ohwell:

There is nothing else that I want to add here ... <kanyeshrug>

Last edited:
I think it has to do with the cuticle laying flat. Here are two example of my hair

The first one is my relaxed hair back in the gump. I rollerset it, As you can see it's very full and thick, at least in my opinion, but the hair strands themselves are flatter.

Hosted on Fotki

Now my hair flat ironed as a natural, it's pretty straight but it looks nothing like my rollerset and wrapped hair. I think it's just as pretty and full but there is a definite difference.

Hosted on Fotki

I think it has to do with the cuticle laying flat. Here are two example of my hair

The first one is my relaxed hair back in the gump. I rollerset it, As you can see it's very full and thick, at least in my opinion, but the hair strands themselves are flatter.

Hosted on Fotki

Now my hair flat ironed as a natural, it's pretty straight but it looks nothing like my rollerset and wrapped hair. I think it's just as pretty and full but there is a definite difference.

Hosted on Fotki

In MY opinion, your natural hair looks way thicker, with more bounce to it.

I can tell sometimes. I think it depends on the hair type, thickness etc...

When I straighten people get on me for going back to relaxing, till I straighten them out (pun intended).... so I don't think it's always so obvious.

Well the way I see it, if people were entirely happy with their hair, then they'd have no reason to chemically alter it in the first place!
Hello, this is a straightened natural hair thread too

the same can be said for any natural that straightens and oh how that has been said by many

heck if you want to go deep with it, they also wouldnt do any altered texture styles either, such as twists outs, braid outs ETC ETC

The 'extremities' don't go nowhere here

again, this forum is not an extreme anti relaxed hair site. Nappturality mentality is not welcomed here or wanted or even tolerated. Some People keep forgetting this:wallbash:

Blanket statements like this are baiting to the natural/relaxed hair division

and that's one thing that this site IS 'anti' on , It's an anti natural/relaxed hair division forum

always has been

Last edited:
In MY opinion, your natural hair looks way thicker, with more bounce to it.

I agree that my natural hair looks thicker, that makes sense since it's not chemically altered to be smooth. But I posted the pictures to show that my hair was thick then as well. My hair wasn't limp and lifeless it was just the opposite. I liked my relaxed hair alot, but I've grown to love my natural hair, but the blanketed statement that relaxed hair is limp, flat, and lifeless is not true. And there are many members on this board that prove that, Southernbella had thick relaxed hair, granted her natural straightened hair appears thicker, but her relaxed hair was far from flat, thin, lifeless, etc.

Go Mama, you know I love you because you always speak the thruth:grin: Well is it me or this thread is an apology to bone straight hair by some non relaxed heads:rolleyes: Silly, isn't it:spinning: As for me, I wear my texlaxed hair 95% of the time in a curly style, so I dont mind if I can't have it silky straight like a 1A girl... it is a waste of time and energy:look:

Hello, this is a straightened natural hair thread too

the same can be said for any natural that straightens and oh how that has been said by many

heck if you want to go deep with it, they also wouldnt do any altered texture styles either, such as twists outs, braid outs ETC ETC

The 'extremities' don't go nowhere here

again, this forum is not an extreme anti relaxed hair site. Nappturality mentality is not welcomed here or wanted or even tolerated. Some People keep forgetting this:wallbash:

Blanket statements like this are bating to the natural/relaxed hair division

and that's one thing that this site IS 'anti' on , It's an anti natural/relaxed hair division forum

always has been

Last edited:
Just as see through relaxed hair is most likely due to shoddy haircare techniques in select individuals. :ohwell:

Again, I think the offense is more likely the untruth in the blanket statement that natural hair straightened is healthier, fuller, bouncier, etc; whereas relaxed hair is thin, see through, etc. And then, the follow up statement that if that statement offends you, it's not because the statement is untrue; it is because "[deep down] you're not entirely comfortable with your choice to chemically alter your hair." Uh.... ok

Thank you! But people will just believe what they want to believe. If it possibly disrupts their world view, they don't want to see it. Just look around HERE, for crying out loud. Heck, I was saying the SAME THING until I came here and saw otherwise with my own two eyeballs. :look: And then it happened to me when I pressed. My hair certainly didn't look any better/thicker/bouncier just on the virtue of being natural alone. That's where the untruth lies.

I can indeed post relaxed pictures from years ago and I didn't know what a deep conditioner was, hair washed every blue moon, funky scalp, pressed, hair greased, and blow-dried... and it still wasn't much of a difference between that and my "much healthier" pressed natural hair... except *gasp* it actually did look better (fuller, thicker, shinier, etc) back then (at least until I fried it). :look: So imagine my cognitive dissonance when I pressed and my hair wasn't nearly that thick when I was natural and taking good care of it. :giggle:

I have theories as to why, but none of them have anything to do with the virtues of being relaxed or natural alone. Most often, in the case of non-abused hair, I believe it's the strands themselves and the degree to which they are straightened (whether via heat or chemicals) that makes the difference. Although my hair was relaxed & overlapped back then, it was under-processed each & every time. When I pressed as a natural, she used a marcel and left no kink in the strands.

There's some sad & thin-looking natural hair on people who have been practicing LHCF techniques forever, just as there is sad & thin-looking relaxed hair. It's not so cut and dry.

I agree that my natural hair looks thicker, that makes sense since it's not chemically altered to be smooth. But I posted the pictures to show that my hair was thick then as well. My hair wasn't limp and lifeless it was just the opposite. I liked my relaxed hair alot, but I've grown to love my natural hair, but the blanketed statement that relaxed hair is limp, flat, and lifeless is not true. And there are many members on this board that prove that, Southernbella had thick relaxed hair, granted her natural straightened hair appears thicker, but her relaxed hair was far from flat, thin, lifeless, etc.
your pics did prove this point. Both your natural and relaxed hair looks beautiful. :yep: your relaxed hair was definitely not thinner than your natural hair

That is so true, those marcel irons can burn the life out of your hair. Even relaxed I never had my hair as straight. But at the end of the road my straightened hair was left heat damaged, thin and of course lifeless ... But geez, my hair was silky straight for sure :yep:

I have theories as to why, but none of them have anything to do with the virtues of being relaxed or natural alone. Most often, in the case of non-abused hair, I believe it's the strands themselves and the degree to which they are straightened (whether via heat or chemicals) that makes the difference. Although my hair was relaxed & overlapped back then, it was under-processed each & every time. When I pressed as a natural, she used a marcel and left no kink in the strands.

There's some sad & thin-looking natural hair on people who have been practicing LHCF techniques forever, just as there is sad & thin-looking relaxed hair. It's not so cut and dry.

Last edited:
All that I am going to say is .... results, baby.

The difference between my natural hair and relaxed hair is night and day. I tried and tried and tried and tried to get my natural hair healthy. :wallbash:

Relaxed hair just works FOR ME! Natural hair works for others. Both can look good if well maintained.

I am very happy with my decision :grin:. My relaxed hair is healthy and fairly thick.

Who am I to say what is best/better for another adult?? :ohwell:

There is nothing else that I want to add here ... <kanyeshrug>
Fairly thick? nah girl your hair is MAJORLY thick.

Not sure. I know when I was younger my grandmother started pressing my hair when the relaxers broke it off and every used to think I had a relaxer until a week passed by and my hair went natural again LOL. Haven't seen a straightened natural in person yet to know.

If both heads of hair are healthy, no I cannot tell.

Just look at the heads of the members of this board. Compare Pinkskates 4a hair that is pressed and Sylver's or Traycee's relaxed hair. All look the same to me, healthy.

If we are talking chewed up relaxed ends versus a pressed natural, I can spot that.

ITA!:clapping:

well to answer original question,,im not sure. with me it depends on type. I can't tell the difference between type 3 hair relaxed or natural w/press or flat iron. when its straight it always seems silky, shiny, bouncy.
is there a natural type 4 with straight hair on here?(not talking about pinkskates..imo shes a 3)anyone else. I don't see many natural type 4's straaaight!

and SB i can tell the difference between your natural and your relaxed hair.but mayvbe because i know already:lachen: either way its goregeous!!

I can almost always tell a difference, especially with fine haired people like myself. I'm a 4a/b pressed natural....here are some pics of my hair at different press levels (#1 harder press, #2 body wave :lachen:, #3 curls reverted in the club, #4 lighter press). As pressed hair seems to not hold a style well, I feel that blunter ends make pressed hair look more "styled" and relaxer-like (ie. pic #4 for me). Just my $.02. :look:

Attachments

• press 1.jpg
    press 1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 30
  • press 4.jpg
    press 4.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 27
  • press 3.jpg
    press 3.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 29
  • self portrait - sized.jpg
    self portrait - sized.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 28
I think it simply just depends on how well you straighten. As a 4a natural I've had my hair flat ironed beautifully at the salon and walked out with hair looking like a silky fresh relaxer. On the other hand, some of my home flat iron attempts don't come out as good and you can definitely tell that my hair is natural.

100% agree with you.

my hair is relaxed and it's thick/full with lots of body. it's an inaccurate assumption to say relaxed heads hair looks thinner and doesn't "hang" heavy or whatever nonsense theories.

it all depends on your hair type. I have thick full hair. not every natural has thick hair either to think that would be crazy with all the different types of textures people have in the world. there are naturals whose hair is fine also and when straightened is flat and limp same for some relaxed but it's not because a person is relaxed that their hair is "limp" depends on the strands. some hair also lacks body again nothing to do with a person being relaxed.

it takes too much energy to analyze people's hair. a nice head of hair is a nice head of hair, that's just me.

I agree. Healthy hair is healthy hair. Period. I have seem some chewed up natural IRL as well as relaxed. It is about how well you treat your hair.

I agree. Healthy hair is healthy hair. Period. I have seem some chewed up natural IRL as well as relaxed. It is about how well you treat your hair.

True, true...however, I can also tell the difference between a chewed up natural and chewed up relaxed head. The breakage/texture is different.

Back