Can You Tell the Difference Between Relaxed and Natural Straightened?

Can You Tell the Difference Between Relaxed and Natural Straightened Hair

• Yes I can almost always tell the difference

Votes: 79 27.2%
  • No I can't really tell most of the time

Votes: 83 28.6%
  • I can sometimes tell.

Votes: 128 44.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Anyone with eyes can see the difference between relaxed hair and straightened natural hair.

When you press natural hair, the heat of the flat iron shoots out a skittle-esque rainbow that dances upon the chemically unaltered strands!

The hair is as bouncy as newborn kittens playing on an air mattress inside a snowglobe.

And the shine.... the shine is more glittery than Edward from Twilight!

Straightened natural hair looks as though G-ds own hand reached out from the heavens and touched the head of the wearer. The halo should be a dead give away.

I mean really, Duh!

:lachen::lachen::lachen: You just made my morning!

When you press natural hair, the heat of the flat iron shoots out a skittle-esque rainbow that dances upon the chemically unaltered strands!

Straightened natural hair looks as though G-ds own hand reached out from the heavens and touched the head of the wearer. The halo should be a dead give away.

:lachen::lachen::grin::lachen::nono::lachen:

You just had to add the halo. :lachen:

Anyone with eyes can see the difference between relaxed hair and straightened natural hair.

The hair is as bouncy as newborn kittens playing on an air mattress inside a snowglobe.

I mean really, Duh!

:dead: :rofl: :rofl:

I like to think I can, but I'm sure I've been off.
I very rarely see women with relaxers have thick lush hair, except on this board. Its always stringy and flat. When I see women with lush, thick heads of hair that happen to be straight, I automatically think she is natural with a press or blow out or flat iron. Then I go to the root area where I feel the most revealing parts are. There is a big difference between newgrowth growing in on relaxed hair and natural and there is only so long heat treatments can last.

Its funny because I'm wearing my hair curly after a flexirod set today, and a woman asked me what perm I use that leaves my hair looking so thick and healthy. I told her I dont have a relaxer, that I have natural hair that I roller set and she was really shocked. It was funny actually.
My roller sets generally leave my hair looking pretty straightened out (when they dry properly). I can get a good stretch and have people thinking I'm relaxed.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I mean really, Duh!

I mean really, Duh!

:giggle:

:popcorn:

:dighole:

I can usually tell the difference only if the natural head hasn't been pressed bone straight or if humidity has gotten to it.
This was my first and last bone straight press. You can't really see any texture.

This is just a regular flatironing job, and there's definitely a difference.

Boards like these IRK me!!!! It's funny that people feel the need to knock others (relaxed) down to lift themselves (natural) up!!!!! Whatever gets your through your hair journey I guess....but its tired!!!!!

Late question but do any of you say anything wrong with me occasionally hot combing the front of my hair so I can blend my half wigs...is it damaging to hair?

Ms. A.Sunshine -why do these boards irk you? Why can't people respond to a question posed and include what their personal observations are? If some people think relaxed straightened looks better, last longer etc... what's wrong with that? Just as, if it is someone's observation that straightened natural has more life, still that's their observation, what's the problem?
The real "irk" on some of these boards is that some take other people's opinions way too seriously geeesh.

Ms. A.Sunshine -why do these boards irk you? Why can't people respond to a question posed and include what their personal observations are? If some people think relaxed straightened looks better, last longer etc... what's wrong with that? Just as, if it is someone's observation that straightened natural has more life, still that's their observation, what's the problem?
The real "irk" on some of these boards is that some take other people's opinions way too seriously geeesh.

The problem is it seems as if these boards are taken as an opportunity for some to expound upon how wonderful their natural hair is and how terrible and "less heavy" relaxed hair is.....and that is my observation but like I said whatever get people through their journey than God Bless!!!

P.S. I am not taking anything way to seriously I am commenting on an observation and the turn in which I feel these type of posts take.....life goes on.

Late question but do any of you say anything wrong with me occasionally hot combing the front of my hair so I can blend my half wigs...is it damaging to hair?
Do you have thick coarse strands that can take it? How has your hair responded to pressing in the past?

If you have strands that can take it then just keep using heat protectants and keep on keepin on:yep: just know that your texture will change aka loosen with regular heat usage.

Boards like these IRK me!!!! It's funny that people feel the need to knock others (relaxed) down to lift themselves (natural) up!!!!! Whatever gets your through your hair journey I guess....but its tired!!!!!
I dont feel that anyones statements on this thread were knocking anyone down, lets be real here, natural hair that grows from your scalp is always going to be healthier than chemically processed hair. Not meaning that chemical hair cannot appear healthy looking because It absolutely can.

What is so offensive about people saying natural hair looks healthier than relaxed when straight? me personally dont find that offensive that hair that naturally comes out of my head is more lush than chemically altered hair.

*i hope I didn't offend anyone:look:

I dont feel that anyones statements on this thread were knocking anyone down, lets be real here, natural hair that grows from your scalp is always going to be healthier than chemically processed hair. Not meaning that chemical hair cannot appear healthy looking because It absolutely can.

What is so offensive about people saying natural hair looks healthier than relaxed when straight? me personally dont find that offensive that hair that naturally comes out of my head is more lush than chemically altered hair.

I will have to respectfully disagree with "Always". My relaxed hair is 1000% healthier than my natural hair was. See previously posted pics.

My bangs all but disappeared and my hair was all broken off and I did not press my hair often :perplexed :ohwell: :nono:

I no longer have to "Photoshop" my hair in pictures like I did in that photo. :drunk:

Last edited:
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I mean really, Duh!

I will have to respectfully disagree with "Always". My relaxed hair is 1000% healthier than my natural hair was. See previously posted pics.

My bangs all but disappeared and my hair was all broken off and I did not press my hair often :perplexed :ohwell: :nono:

I no longer have to "Photoshop" my hair in pictures like I did in that photo. :drunk:
Did you honestly have healthy hair practices when you were a pressed natural?

Do you think theres a possibility that your see-thru ends were not a result of being a pressed natural but rather, a result of the wrong technique products and regimen?

I don't know, i guess some may think that some people have a chip on their shoulders about it? :perplexed

I was comparing natural and relaxed hair that is in good condtion, IMO natural hair looks more lush, Its from what I have seen

Yeah. The first pic I posted upthread was the very first time I had straightened my natural hair-- ever. :perplexed No heat damage in that pic whatsoever. I wasn't doing anything particularly bad to my hair either. Wearing it nappy simply hid the fact that my hair was frail & thin. Hid it WELL too; up until that point I was going around calling my hair thick. :lachen:

I can post more pics from my second natural press later, but the left side of my head was chewed up entirely-- and this was after about 5 months of deep conditioning regularly. :look:

I feel like I can better see any hardcore damage as a relaxed head, and can make moves to correct it before it gets to that point again. Long hair by any means necessary, darnit! :grin:

I don't know, i guess some may think that some people have a chip on their shoulders about it? :perplexed
TRUE....in my observation that may seem to be the case, but when I think further into it... is it wrong to love your natural hair and think its the best, so many BW are so ashamed of there natural hair, i really dont think theres anything wrong with loving the hair that naturally comes from your scalp.

Can you people stop making up ish?

No one has a problem with natural hair,. what some of us have a problem with are the snide jabs people take at those who use relaxers under the guise of showing love for natural hair and anyone that mentions these jabs must OBVIOUSLY be a self hater.

it's because of this title that most relaxed heads take that ish, good thing that I however dont give a bloody damn.

Might be fooling others, sure as hell not fooling me.

Also, I don't think theres anything inaccurate about someone saying that natural straightened hair has more weight to it.

To me thats scientific fact.

The relaxing process penetrates into the cortex of the hair, the cross-bonds (sulfur and hydrogen) are broken so you're stripping the hair of one of its characteristics.........purposefully. So it would be fair to say that natural straightened hair has more weight to it, considering the fact that the integrity of the shaft is still intact.

The problem, IMO, is that some relaxed heads are "offended" by the concept that natural hair is healthier than relaxed. That isn't my opinion--that is a fact. If you apply the same treatments and techniques(e.g protective styling, deep conditioning, minimal heat, etc) to natural hair and relaxed hair---natural hair will "look" better.

THE NATURE OF RELAXERS IS TO "RELAX" THE DISULFIDE BONDS IN HAIR...basic chemistry---and this changes the textured of hair. When the bonds are relaxed, they are more suspectible to damage and breaking.
When I was relaxed, I accepted the risk associated with using a caustic chemical in my hair and kept it moving----it is what it is.

Last edited:
TRUE....in my observation that may seem to be the case, but when I think further into it... is it wrong to love your natural hair and think its the best, so many BW are so ashamed of there natural hair, i really dont think theres anything wrong with loving the hair that naturally comes from your scalp.

Nothing wrong with loving your self, what ever it maybe. (I'm making a very general statement, this has nothing do with thread now) But for the cases this falls into... its wrong to incorporate putting down others in what you call love for your self. That is different from loving your self the way you have stated in your post and putting down people.

I see it all the time...for instance.. "I love being skinny because fat is just so icky and nasty"... why can't you just love being skinny and not have to put down the rest

Back