Can anyone tell me my hair type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
type 4 in all pictures old and new

How did I know you would come back with more pictures drenched in conditioner to "make sure." :lachen:.
These threads are so predictable.

I'm just playing with ya! LOL

But seriously your hair is so thick and beautiful! I feel like reaching into my computer screen and touching your hair. It looks so thick and soft!

MilkChocolateOne, SND411 Ya cracking me up today :lachen:

Maybe Op wants to be 3c so bad she has to post her pictures on so many threads, with it being dry, wet, conditioner, no conditioner, no products, with products to see if someone says she has atleast one strand that's 3c. Let the child be.

OP, whatever "type" your hair is, it looks very thick and lush.

After you've figured out your type, what are you gonna do? I'm trying to understand why you wanna know so bad that you'd actually post more pics to "narrow it down" (although it appears that most think you are 4a/4b and mostly 4b).

How did I know you would come back with more pictures drenched in conditioner to "make sure." :lachen:.
These threads are so predictable.

I'm just playing with ya! LOL

But seriously your hair is so thick and beautiful! I feel like reaching into my computer screen and touching your hair. It looks so thick and soft!

Lol I kno I'm being a bit compulsive and thank you

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

MilkChocolateOne, SND411 Ya cracking me up today :lachen:

Maybe Op wants to be 3c so bad she has to post her pictures on so many threads, with it being dry, wet, conditioner, no conditioner, no products, with products to see if someone says she has atleast one strand that's 3c. Let the child be.

Lol u guys r too funny but no not the case just been told my hair was 3b, 3c, 4a, 4b lol so I give up I actually hav always thought I was 4a until I was told all these other things so don't mind me I'm kinda new to the whole natural hair thing still ^in the learning stages

OP, whatever "type" your hair is, it looks very thick and lush.

After you've figured out your type, what are you gonna do? I'm trying to understand why you wanna know so bad that you'd actually post more pics to "narrow it down" (although it appears that most think you are 4a/4b and mostly 4b).

I've been told certain hair types need to use certain products is that true so thts y I wanted to know thks for the compliment:)

Lol u guys r too funny but no not the case just been told my hair was 3b, 3c, 4a, 4b lol so I give up I actually hav always thought I was 4a until I was told all these other things so don't mind me I'm kinda new to the whole natural hair thing still ^in the learning stages

3b & 3c? Ok. SOMEBODY needs their typing card revoked! STAT! You are definitely a 4. While some might argue a 4a, I think you're a 4b. Just my opinion. Hair typing is not that important once you have been natural for a while though. :yep:

I've been told certain hair types need to use certain products is that true so thts y I wanted to know thks for the compliment:)

Sorry to say, OP, but your curl pattern will have little to do with what type of products you use. You will find soon enough, that even after you have figured out your hair type (I say mostly 4b), that there will be other ladies with the same curl pattern who can use a, b and c products that give them luscious results, which will give you not so desirable results. I know alot of ladies can attest to that, myself included.

What you should really try figuring out is your texture, porosity, and density. Maybe some other ladies can chime in what type of questions newbies really should be asking, instead of the dreaded "What's my hair type?"

Chayilproverbs31,

Don't rely on members here to tell you your hair type. Once your hair starts hitting hip length (if you choose to grow out your hair) with your hair thickness along with gorgeous hair styles, they will demote you to "lower hair type status. "

I've never understood the purpose of drenching hair in conditioner for hair typing purposes. Shouldn't that be determined from the hairs natural state? My hair looks 4a when its wet but as soon as that bad boy dries I'm straight 5bb, lol.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF App

Chayilproverbs31,

Don't rely on members here to tell you your hair type. Once your hair starts hitting hip length (if you choose to grow out your hair) with your hair thickness along with gorgeous hair styles, they will demote you to "lower hair type status. "

Wow, I did not know or expect this from LHCF at all... :look: :giggle:

Sorry to say, OP, but your curl pattern will have little to do with what type of products you use. You will find soon enough, that even after you have figured out your hair type (I say mostly 4b), that there will be other ladies with the same curl pattern who can use a, b and c products that give them luscious results, which will give you not so desirable results. I know alot of ladies can attest to that, myself included.

What you should really try figuring out is your texture, porosity, and density. Maybe some other ladies can chime in what type of questions newbies really should be asking, instead of the dreaded "What's my hair type?"

What is porosity

Your hair looks like mine, good ol' 4a/b.

I never understood understanding hair typing for product purposes. All I know is, my hair needs some moister and a good PS. Tis all.

your hair looks 4a/4b.it looks very nice! your hair might be low porosity. my hair looked like that when it was short and covered with conditioner.....

Yeah, your hair looks nice, but it's afro-textured hair. do you keep asking hoping that someone will tell you that your hair is naturally curly? I hate the numbers, but I think that some hair curls with little effort or product as it dries, and some hair goes afro and frizzes, and it just kind of is what it is, and if you take care of it, neither is better or worse in my opinion. But I'd say you clearly have the latter. Curly hair is pretty curly without any product or conditioner, wet or dry. It might frizz more without conditioner, but the curl is there.

It looks thick, healthy, and your wash and go was nice, so keep doing what you are doing and don't worry about your hair type.

You don't need certain products b/c of your hair type. Your hair needs what it needs, and as long as it's well-conditioned, the whole process of trial and error will be fine.

So maybe your hair likes oils and butters more than it likes creams and lotions, which have water added. Maybe your hair will like being air-dried or maybe it will like it if you sit under a dryer for a bit.

Some people apply product everyday. Some use it only when styling or restyling. Some people wet their hair everyday, and others only wash once a week. It looks like you are doing a good job, and maybe some things will require more time if you are planning on growing your hair out longer, but it looks like you and your 'fro are doing just fine.

OP, I'm gonna tell you what I wish someone had told me when I went natural.

Do not worry about hair type. Everyone always says they need to know for products. But a lot of people who have hair similar to mine don't use the same products. Our hair is way too diverse to be lumped into a few different categories. Also, you probably, like most people, have different curl/coil/kink patterns on your head.

Worry about health and styling. It is wasted energy, IMO, to worry so much about type.

If you're going to try and type your hair, I was always under the impression that it should be when the hair is clean (free of product) and dry.

Last edited:
@LiftedUp :rofl: I'm with @coconut. Say wha? :confused:

OP, you keep saying your hair has no coils and I see coils/curls/kinks all over the place. Just claim 4-something and be done with it.

I didn't mean anything negative. a is a loose curl, b is more of a zig zag curl and c is more of a coily curl from how I understand it. Then the tightness of the curl is the 1, 2, 3, 4. However, I stand to be corrected.

4a/4b
I am a 4a/4b myself. You have coils and undefined hair all mixed into one head of hair.

Now, you have gotten great advice so I just want to reiterate that the "hair type" does not matter. That stuff is for aesthetic purposes. As it has already been stated in this thread, the most important things are the porosity and texture of your hair. Density is important as well, but that also has nothing to do with what products to use, only porosity and texture matters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back