BSL 2012 Challenge!!!

I am doing a cinnamon, olive oil, and honey treatment on my roots only. I will cowash, and do Aphogee two step, then DC overnight.

I'm getting ready to moisturize with Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Repair cream and seal with EVCO. Then back up under my wig I go. May go wig shopping tomorrow, not just sure yet.

Yesterday I pulled down the hair in the back and was shocked to see that I am about 2-3 inches from BSL, so that means I should get there by my 2year natural anniversary in August :grin:.

Congratulation Whimsy! :flowers: Your hair is healthy and :gorgeous:. Now details please. You know you can't come up in here showing all that lovely hair and not post a regimen. :lachen:

GIJane

Well, I'm attributing my growth to the baby hormones!!

But I've also changed to all natural products which (for me) work better and feel better in/on my hair.

I wash/dc biweekly, moisturize, seal, airdry in a few braids or twists, then flatiron straight.
That's what I've been doing since the end of december.

Before that my regimen was wash weekly or twice a week, moisturize, seal, wear braidouts/buns/twistouts/random updos

Not feeling my hair lately. It's just do blah. The color I put in LAST February really messed me up (it looked really good though dang it...)!

I dunno guys... Trying to keep this long hair thing going, but I'm really not feelin it.

:-(

[USER=43391 said:
ImanAdero[/USER];15285213]Not feeling my hair lately. It's just do blah. The color I put in LAST February really messed me up (it looked really good though dang it...)!

I dunno guys... Trying to keep this long hair thing going, but I'm really not feelin it.

:-(

It may just be the winter blahs. There's a lot of this going around.
Wait until the spring to see how you feel. I think you will feel better.

hey ladies what is working for u atm

i want to use a growth aid but not sure - i wanted to do suphur again but not sure just yet but wanted some ideas of what u ladies are doing? if ure using growth aids or not ??

I know it's February but I wasn't thinking about BSL until around January because I was in "APL mode" all year long so didn't think to join a challenge. Hope you don't mind my joining in late. I'm just at around APL and although I don't think I'll get full BSL by the end of the year I'll get close enough. I typically measure my hair in inches retained and am hoping to retain about 4-5" inches this year which should put me round about "BSL" by August/September.

What is your goal date for BSL?
I'm giving myself until December but I expect to be very close by August/September. I'm aiming only for four more inches retained after I include the effect of trims and normal wear on hair.

What brings you to this challenge/what's your length story?
I had so much fun with the APL 2011 Challenge that I thought I'd join up on this one. My hair is already longer than it has ever been in my adult life and being in a challenge helps me stick to my goals by forcing me to be accountable.

Whats your current length?
APL or about 16-16.5" measured from the top of my crown, overall.

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning?

Texlaxed.

What's your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL?
I simplified my regimen one, to make it easy to follow and two, because I'm certifiably lazy.
  • Daily I moisturize with Wave Nouveau Daily Moisturizing Lotion focusing mostly on my ends. I help hold that moisture in with either coconut oil or Ion Silk Drops. That's it, just once a day. I also sleep with a "satin" bonnet each night.
  • Once a week or every 10-14 days depending on whether I'm wearing my hair air dried or blow dried and flat ironed respectively, I wash with a variety of cheapy conditioners, usually Suave or Herbal Essences, and will use a clarifying shampoo as needed. Sometimes I treat myself to pricier conditioners and have been liking Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Conditoner for the tingles it gives. I also use Hair One Cleansing Conditioner for Dry Hair as an old standby.
  • Every two weeks or so and always after a relaxer I deep condition with Silk Elements MegaSilk. Love that stuff.
  • I relax every 3-4 months with Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Creme Relaxer in Normal and after I rinse out my relaxer but before the neutralizing step I use Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor a product that really helps to curtail breakage for me
  • I detangle with Mane N Tail Detangler as needed and also use the product as a light moisture boost if my hair is feeling a bit dry but doesn't need the heavier lotion product.
  • Finally, I tend to wear my hair in buns or a braided hairstyle to keep it protected and mainly use indirect heat like a blow dryer about 2-3 times a month. I'm not obsessive about avoiding heat because if done correctly I have no problems with it; using it just means more time in the bathroom and I like to be out the door not in my hair. When I use heat I like Silk Elements Heat Protector and sometimes I'll add Aphogee Green Tea and Keratin Restructurizer if my hair has been under some stress.
What do you plan to do once you make BSL?
Probably stand in the mirror giggling wildly to myself. After I spend about fifteen minutes doing that I'll probably just wear it down for a few days and obnoxiously flip it over my shoulder several times during conversation. Then I'll put it in pigtails, always wanted long pigtails...don't judge me. After that I'll focus on retaining another four inches which will bring me just above MBL. When I get there I'm stopping because that is more than enough hair for me.

I'm uploading my progress photos since they are already the correct size and I don't have time to resize just the "starting length" images. The image on the right in each picture is my starting length. These pictures are as of Jan/Feb of this year. The images on the left in each photo are of where I was in Jan/Feb of 2011. If you want to see them larger I also uploaded them on my profile.

Happy growing everyone!

Attachments

• hair progress feb11feb12.jpg
    hair progress feb11feb12.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 73
  • hairprogresspony11-12.jpg
    hairprogresspony11-12.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 66
  • hariprogessfront11-12.jpg
    hariprogessfront11-12.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 69
Its my birthday!!! Partied last night and brought in my 22nd with the Tammny Half Wig. I was whipping it like it was all mine. :lol:

hcgxw.jpg

Last edited:
kinky curlygenie said:

i want to use a growth aid but not sure - i wanted to do suphur again but not sure just yet but wanted some ideas of what u ladies are doing? if ure using growth aids or not ??

Hi.Im.using maxi hair tabs .gonna go on till its.over (Im doing.à.3months on it). When i finish these ill go.back to taking cod liver in gel tabs for 4months. Ill Keep doing this till december . I now low manipulate and moisture with s.curl gel. Wear braids under wig and seems my hair loves this regimen .Im sticking to it!

Hey kinky_curlygenie I use growth aids...but it's a combo of stuff so I'm not sure what's doing what. My normal growth rate is only 1/3" per month. With what I do now I've gotten between 1/2"-1" depending on the month.

When I work out, I usually run 3 miles- 4x a week, I use a mix of megatek, water, and peppermint oil to refresh my scalp afterward. It's probably a 10:1 dilution. I also have a sulfur pomade that I use maybe 4-5x a week. I put that on before bed then baggy overnight. Lastly, I take 1 Hairfinity vitamin daily along with my other supplements. I really notice a difference in my nails...everyone asks if they're fake :lol: so I taking this bottle until it runs out. I have an Ulta gift card so I may switch to Nioxin.

I have been wearing this one wig that is about BSL and it looks like my hair. I got so excited at the thought of my hair being that length one day. I mean I want to have the whole healthy thick ends look. I have to do my best to retain all my length and I have been wearing this wig for about a week now so after about a month I need to find another one to rock. This spring is all about the wigs then in the summer I'm thinking about kinky twists. Idk yet so we'll see!

It may just be the winter blahs. There's a lot of this going around.
Wait until the spring to see how you feel. I think you will feel better.

:yep: this is what I'm going through...with everything. :sad:

noticed I was slacking on my hair care, so I put in twist extensions 3 weeks ago. first time ever doing it so it took me longer than expected. kept the front red-ish since my hair is still red in the front...with 1.5" black roots :blush:. I don't have any pics of me wearing them down but here's a bun pic. the plan is to keep them in until April, but we'll see what happens. lol.

e2fb58524cdd11e19896123138142014_6.jpg

kinky curlygenie I'm not using growth aids per se. I use a lot of ayurveda powders and castor oil. I did do sulphur but found out that I had a slight allergy to it. I also tried mega-tek but it made me shed a lot.

Might I suggest getting your hair regimen down first then add a growth aid. Good luck.

Just put my hair in smaller twists... I like it. It's funny because they actually look fake, like I got kinky twists or something. But I still like the look.

I am losing so much hair I mean it still looks REALLY full, but it seems to be coming out so much.

I also have a quarter sized patch of hair that's about a half inch long... I have no idea what happened there. I think I'm gonna use castor oil on that spot and see if it helps.

I relaxed my hair last week at 12 weeks post. I am finally full APL. I'm right on schedule to be grazing BSL in Dec. :grin:

Here's a fresh flat iron...DH took it but didn't really want to. :look:
Nice someone looks BSL to me.

update: I might have to pull out of the challenge. I have been cutting my hair a lot these days. No reason why. I just kept cutting it. Sad to say I might not be able to reach BSL. I will assess the damage this weekend.

GIJane said:

update: I might have to pull out of the challenge. I have been cutting my hair a lot these days. No reason why. I just kept cutting it. Sad to say I might not be able to reach BSL. I will assess the damage this weekend.

Why? Your.not.at nl are you? I mean wouldnt you.like to try .maybe.its possible.huh? To tell you the truth j was.also wondering if bsl was possible for me this year....having doubts

is it too late for me to join? I recently made Apl (but only my back layers) and I think I can get that much to hit Bsl by Decenber if Im consistent with my reggie

I agree you look BSL to me as well.

Back