BSL 2012 Challenge!!!

Here is my picture I took today, I got my relaxer on 10/30/11. I have become really scissor happy and I get a trim almost everytime I get my hair done. I love freshly cut ends.

(My hair is even its just the way my hair is laying down. My bra looks weird too lol :spinning:)

zl5cvc.jpg

So I got my relaxer early because of an occassion here is an updated pic, I also will be getting a weave tomorrow.

35d9f0y.jpg

What is your goal date for BSL?
anytime before 2013 and ill be happy, im a slow grower so im dont want to set an early goal

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story?
this will be my first time at BSL. but thats not the main reason, i really would just like to grow my hair out so i can enjoy my natural hair as soon as possible

Whats your current length?
my current length is APL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning?
transitioning to natural from a relaxer

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)
protective styling, oil rinsing between my installs and megatek mixed with castor and almond oil while im in a weave

althought its not set in stone my reggie is as follows:
shampoo preferably with sulfate free
oil rinse with almost and castor oil mixed
DC with ORS replenishing
Blowdry (or straight into a wet bun)
Flatiron using comb chase on low
moisturize with atOne Leave in, seal with almond oil

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc)
i cant wait for bigger hairstyles like braidout and twist outs, i dont like them now cause i feel it looks better on longer hair.

I will be adding a pic befor my install later on this week.

ETA: the bold :yawn:

68c9ce3b.jpg

a757be56.jpg

Here is my starting pic ! Will be trimming soon..

I would like in. Haven't been in here for a HOT minute and just missed BSL this year.

Full BSL by 12/2012!

I had long hair WAAAAYYYY back in the day as a child before relaxers (as most of us) but have never had it that length after that. I want to see how much my hair can grow naturally.

Back is right at APL and then layered up to chin level.

Natural

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL?
Starting January, I plan on doing protective styling AT LEAST Monday-Friday. I also need to work harder on drinking more water (it's hard in the winter) and remembering to take my vitamins every day.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL?
Don't think I will change much of anything because I don't plan on doing straight protective styling throughout the entire year, just the winter. Maybe I will get my hair shaped since I like the layered look. But I plan on continuing on to the next milestone, MBL.

Attachments

• IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0646.jpg
    IMG_0646.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I'll join. It seems that BSL has eluded me again this year. I was supposed to get there since last year. I am feeling very discouraged right now.

I will update around January 1 with pictures and everything.

I did touch bsl but i had my stylist cut 2 inches off after my relaxer. I want to slowly get rid of my damages. So i overacted a little. Dec 24, 2011 marked 3 years since i officially became a member. So im disappointed with my hair a bit. My goal is full bsl by august 2012. I will be psing 99% and using ayurvedic regimen. Im determine. Here is my starting pic after a fresh relaxer and trim.
47be6362-d226-020f.jpg

What is your goal date for BSL? by Dec 31st 2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? This will be my first time ever being BSL

Whats your current length? Between SL and APL

hiding my hair :grin:
braiding or flat twisting,Wigging it on top 24/7, leaving it in for a month, washing it, re-do
+Sulfur, no heat, vitamins,

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? Straighten it for a pic and go right back to wigging it!

IMG_0729-vi.jpg

Goal Date: I hope to be full BSL by February 2012; Hopefully by May 2012 I'll be bottom of BSL/MBL.

Length Story: I've been natural for almost 6 years; I colored during my second year and spent the next two years trimming it off. The color made my hair feel weird, and I wasn't retaining moisture very well. I maintained at the same length. I decided to actively grow my hair out in March. This is the longest my hair has ever been, relaxed or natural.

Current Length: Top of BSL; 11" from scalp. I've never straightened my hair, so I don't know what it looks like on my body. I hope to straighten for the first time in December. :spinning:

Regimen: Pre-poo with an oil. Wash and deep condition under steamer once a week or every two weeks, depending on style. Alternate using shampoo and conditioner washing; alternate protein conditioner and moisturizing conditioner. Moisturize and seal as needed during the week. Massage scalp with sulfur oil or pomade 3x a week. Trim every 3-4 months using the lunar cycle.

Plans after BSL: Not sure. I may try a cellophane, but after my last color experience, I'm a tad skeptical. Long term, I think I want to try growing my hair out to HL. That would be 20" of hair; 9" of more growth. :look:

Finally, I have a starting picture:

1DSC02101-vi.jpg

DSC02112-vi.jpg

I hope to be full BSL/grazing MBL by June. (I'm working on the fat roll; don't laugh too hard.)

Last edited:
Finally, I have a starting picture:

1DSC02101-vi.jpg

DSC02112-vi.jpg

I hope to be full BSL/grazing MBL by June. (I'm working on the fat roll; don't laugh too hard.)

:blush:beautiful head of hair!!!!!!!!! i think you should be in the MBL or even WL challenge! we love you, but please move...:look:

g.lo I spit out my tea laughing at you!!! :lol: :lol: I want to be a more even BSL, so I'd like 2 more inches. Since my torso is so short, I'm in the MBL challenge too.

After long and hard thought, I'm joining this challenge :)

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? This will be my 1st time being BSL!

SL

Relaxed

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)
I have a very simply Reggie wash n DC 1x a week, Cowash 1x a week, moisturize n seal 2x a day, use heat a maximum of 2x a month, PS 85% of the time, n take my vitamins.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc)

Whiplash most definitely, then back on track for ultimate WL goal

Starting pic:
a6cd896e-cd17-8e7a.jpg

Finally have my starting pics! First one is my bra I will be using for length checks, based on that I'm alot closer to BSL than I thought. :woot: 2nd pic is my shirt I use for length checks. Each line is 2in wide and I'm actually about in the middle of the gray line but my ends weren't very straight when I took the pic.
I'm in!!!

-May 2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? (ie. This will be your first time ever being BSL; You were BSL but had a setback, or BC’d or chopped it off for a style and want it back again; You were BSL back in the day and now trying to achieve it again, etc.)

-It'll be my first time reaching BSL.

-APL

-Natural

-I will be wigging it and bunning for 2012.
-Straightening 1x-2x every two months, wear a bun for a wk or 2, then cornrowing and wigging it until next time I flat iron.
-While in cornrows cowash 2x/wk and baggy nightly. Also DCing every week.
-"grease" scalp with peppermint sulfur pomade (from the Pomade Shop on Etsy) every other day.
-HOT when needed
-low poo when needed

I plan is to wear it in straight styles more often via rollersetting (once I get that down) and whipping it like I lost my mind!

**Please add a starting pic now or at least before Jan 1 2012

Will add a pic once I pick a bra and when the end of the year gets closer

Attachments

• 0ec2fc58.jpg
    0ec2fc58.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 992db705.jpg
    992db705.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Came back to add my starting pics!!! Super excited for my Hair Growth Journey!!!

Attachments

• Brooklyn-20111225-00025.jpg
    Brooklyn-20111225-00025.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Brooklyn-20111225-00026.jpg
    Brooklyn-20111225-00026.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 56
I would like to join this challenge! :grin:

June 2012
I would like my shortest areas such as my sides and crown to at least touch my bra-strap!

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? (ie. This will be your first time ever being BSL; You were BSL but had a setback, or BC’d or chopped it off for a style and want it back again; You were BSL back in the day and now trying to achieve it again, etc.)
BSL will be the longest my hair ever been.
I started this journey at neck length in June 2009 and BSL is my final length goal. I feel like that is the longest I would want to handle and it's long enough for me.

Full APL but my crown is only a little past SL due to breakage.

Transitioning

Henna or Henna Gloss- Monthly
Bi-weekly- Prepoo/Wash/Deep Condition/Airdry
Protective Style 90% of the time- Either buns, braids, cornrows and twists
Dust with split-ender every 6 weeks
Dust with Shears to even up ends every 8-10 weeks
Trim every 6-8 months
use Direct heat 3-4 times a year
Take MSM

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat
urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc)
First thing I will do is take some professional pics. :grin:
And I will maintain that length by trimming every relaxer for thicker ends

The attached pic was actually taken today. I lightly flat-ironed my hair on 285 degrees.
This is my nape area..so like the first 2 rows I flat-ironed.

Starting Pic
lastlengthcheck036-1.jpg

Count me in!!

-What is your goal date for BSL?

~Atleast by December 31st of 2012

-What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story?

~I have never been BSL before and it would be an amazing goal to reach

-Whats your current length?

~APL

-Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning?

~Texlaxed

-Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL?

~Minimum heat, drinking more water, vitamins, sulfur mix, moisturizing daily, bunning 99% of the time & scalp massages

-What do you plan to do once you make BSL?

~Wear it straight for a week then focus on MBL

Starting Pic: December 2011

hairdecember.jpg

Anytime in 2012.

I've been on my HHJ since 2008 and have yet to make BSL because I'm scissor happy. lol I'll grow my hair to APL and for various reasons cut it back to neck or shoulder length. Now I'm truly ready to strive to BSL which is a length that I've never thought was attainable for myself.

Almost APL, I'm at the 4 on my length check shirt.

Relaxed and loving it.

Relaxing every 10-12 weeks, DC every 1-2 weeks, moisturizing and sealing, low direct heat, and protective styling.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL?
Whip my hair back and foward!

***This picture was taken December 31, 2011 five weeks post. I'm still wearing a flexirod set and had my husband strecth out a curl for this picture. BSL for me would be past the number six.

Attachments

• dec2011two.jpg
    dec2011two.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 43
  • dec2011three.jpg
    dec2011three.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 36
As promised, starting picture!! I apologize for the low pic quality. My camera decided to go AWOL on me last week...

Attachments

• december 31 2011.jpg
    december 31 2011.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 22
I would like to join, but I don't have a starting pic because my hair is currently in a sew-in, so I will just lurk around for support.

What is your goal date for BSL? December 31, 2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? Although I’ve been doing this hair thing for quite some time, this will be my first time at BSL. I’ve had three major setbacks that have truncated my progress – two bouts with postpartum shedding and a lot of breakage, and a good but scissor happy stylist.

Whats your current length? Scraping APL. My hair grows slowly, so I’ll manage my expectations and allow a year to get to BSL.

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Relaxed

Aphogee Protein 1x every 6 weeks
Shampoo weekly
DC weekly
Bun daily
Moisturize and seal daily
Apply castor oil to scalp 3x per week
Apply castor oil to hair length once per week
Multivitamin daily
Sleep in satin bonnet/satin wrap nightly

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? Funny, DH asks the same question. Probably celebrate with my hair out for a week or two, then back up in a bun she’ll go til MBL.

Attachments

• 2012 start.jpg
    2012 start.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 31
I am so looking forward to this challenge. Count me in please.

What is your goal date for BSL? Thanksgiving

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? Eight years ago I was BSL for the first and last time in my life and it lasted all of 5 minutes. I went to the salon for a much needed relaxer after having my son and wearing my hair in a ponytail for over a year. After she relaxed and blow dryed my hair I remember looking in the mirror and my hair was way down my back (I didn't know anything about hair boards or BSL). What did I do? I told her cut it to my shoulders because I was an emotional mess and felt that I needed a change. Never got to enjoy the length. I regret that moment to this day and my hair has never been that long since.

Whats your current length? almost APL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Texlaxed

Wash once a week alternating between WEN and another conditioner
Clarify as needed with Joico Cheleating shampoo
2min Aphogee once a week
DC with Joico once a week with heat or over night if feeling lazy
Air dry with Neutrogena or Kimmytube leavin and serum
Sulfur mix to scalp every other night with massage
Moisture and seal ends every night
Henna when I need to cover gray
Bun, Bun, Bun

I'm 12 weeks post relaxer and don't know when I'll relax again

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? Cry:lol: no really I am going to get it cut into a U shape, and take plenty of pictures.

LengthcheckDec2012-2.jpg

Day One: Finish installing twist extensions

I hope to rock them for at least 3 weeks, ideally 4-5 weeks.

My goal for the first half of the year is to find a new braiding style to rock under my wigs as my hair grows.

HHG, ladies!! :)

I'm glad I found this thread. I've had two setbacks since September (being scissor happy, blowdrying and the Denman brush :nono:) I have thin/weathered ends and breakage now. I'm sure I will have to trim my ends throughout the year but I should still make it to BSL if I'm consistent, gentle and patient with my hair.

What is your goal date for BSL? Aug 2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? This will be my first time reaching BSL.

Whats your current length? Nape grazing APL, CBL on the sides, a few inches under the chin for my bangs. I'm only 4 inches from BSL in the back.

Natural

Winter Reggie: Keep it Simple and handle my hair very gently

Weekly - DC w/AOGPB or AOHSR on dry hair, co-washing, leave-in w/Giovanni Direct Leave-in, seal w/evco, twists.

Daily - moisturize w/water, Giovanni Direct or Kimmaytube leave-in and seal w/evco, twists pinned up in protective style during the week. Twist-outs on the weekends. Might try bunning too.

Monthly - shampoo w/Shikai Moisturizing Shampoo; clarify as needed.

Eat better, drink lots of water (Might as well lose some more weight and clear up my skin too while I'm at this)

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? Not sure yet.

Back