BSL 2010 Challenge

Just about to do a set of twists. Will use up the remaining MN and keep it in hopefully for four weeks. I should be at the BSB mark by then. Right now I'm just hovering above it! Have been for what seems like 4 months!

ETA: its only the tip of my V-shaped hair (back layer) that will touch. I should stay on this challenge till the end of the year though. By then I should have full APL and will be able to claim a fuller BSL.

Last edited:
Hey lovelies. I haven't been around much but just want to post some visual updates. I flatironed my hair (total failure) but decided to do a length check. I still have to trim my ends so I know the joy will be merely fleeting but I'm wondering if this would be considered bsb at the moment? I can never get back pictures right so my torso is usually slanted or my hand is in the way so it's a work in progress. Hopefully with more hair it'll get easier...

Attachments

• DSCN0359.jpg
    DSCN0359.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN0361.jpg
    DSCN0361.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN0364.jpg
    DSCN0364.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN0362.JPG
    DSCN0362.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 28
hi Flowinlocks!
i'm so sad to hear you trimmed so much! however, having hair that is healthy is much better than long, but scraggily hair, imho.
now you've got a fresh new start!
but the part about your hair being "officially tired of the bun" i don't quite understand.

Thanks Grow, I'm just now seeing this. Although we touched base on it in the other thread.

how long had you bunned? About 1 and a half years.
HOW did you bun? Tight....:nono:
what did you put in your hair before you bunned? Cantu shea leave in, coconut oil, Ayurvedic oils, sometimes Aussie moist as a leave in.

i know many ladies have had alot of success with bunning, so i'm thinking it must be something with the technique, rather than the actual practice of bunning.
:yep: I was making a pony then pulling the hair back thru the holder stopping at the ends to make a puff. Then pinning on my phonypony. When I wan't wearing that I was wrapping the hair around. the holder. My ends eventually grew thin from doing this and the looping method I mentioned. I know my buns were tight sometimes, but I had a ton of ng and I like smooth polished buns. While trying to stretch my relaxer, the hair broke off right at the line of demarcation. Even with extra moistur and protein. So now I'm babying my hair by wearing it up in claw clips or a simple pin up with a stick clip. My hair is doing much better.

Grow, don't give up. I really believe you will see a difference length wise after your stretch ends. Shrinkage is a beast and yes, at this point that ng is over powering your relaxed ends.

:yep:

Hey lovelies. I haven't been around much but just want to post some visual updates. I flatironed my hair (total failure) but decided to do a length check. I still have to trim my ends so I know the joy will be merely fleeting but I'm wondering if this would be considered bsb at the moment? I can never get back pictures right so my torso is usually slanted or my hand is in the way so it's a work in progress. Hopefully with more hair it'll get easier...

It's kind of hard to tell but it looks like you are there.

Hey ladies...just checking in. Congrats to everyone that's reached BSL so far! I've been up and down lately w/ my hair. After the BKT a month ago I wore it in a curly pony for a couple weeks. Then I got bored and got a weave to my lower back, only to have to take it out 3 days after I got it because I booked a job and they wanted my hair curly lol. So got it blown out and flat ironed last week and a much needed trim(I was only at the salon 2 hours start to finish-BKT ROCKS!!). Still trying to get rid of these layers and it's hard because my hair "feels" longer but then i look at pics and i'm like has it grown at all. So i don't know. I'm in APL land and feel pretty good that I'll reach BSL this year...fingers crossed! ETA...Measured from top of head to bottom layer: 18"
P1020825.jpg

Very pretty, KUTGW.

Man!! I know I should flat iron to see if I got some lenght after all these months but I'm too damn lazy to do it....arg.... I'll try tonight....

I got a lot of shedding today, ILL!

I wonder what that was about, I know the norm is 50-100 but I don't usually get the norm, I get half, if that. Maybe about 10 strands, today I got the whole 50. NOt happy with that! :cry:

Did you figure out why your hair was shedding and what did you do to stop it?

I been cowashing like crazy lately, trying to make up for lost times.

Im decided im going to......................wait for it..................wait for it..............wait for it.................................Flat iron or either blow dry my hair...........wait for it...........MYSELF:blush: dun dun duuunnnnnnnnnnn...

Yeah this ought to be hilarious. Well I will let you all know how this turn out. If you know me, I haven't flatiron or blowdried my hair myelf in almost 2 1/2 years, I always go to the salon for it.

Im thinking about letting it airdry fully then using my maxiglide. Haven't decided yet.

I been cowashing like crazy lately, trying to make up for lost times.

Im decided im going to......................wait for it..................wait for it..............wait for it.................................Flat iron or either blow dry my hair...........wait for it...........MYSELF:blush: dun dun duuunnnnnnnnnnn...

Yeah this ought to be hilarious. Well I will let you all know how this turn out. If you know me, I haven't flatiron or blowdried my hair myelf in almost 2 1/2 years, I always go to the salon for it.

Im thinking about letting it airdry fully then using my maxiglide. Haven't decided yet.

You can do it!!! :yep:

Here it goes... ok ok so my hair isn't completely straight (the roots are still a little curly) but I think I'm getting closer to BSL, well I think so:yep:.

Attachments

• 02-05-2010.JPG
    02-05-2010.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 2010-05-02.JPG
    2010-05-02.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 58
Thanks y'all for your encouraging thoughts!!!! MBL is like a surreal goal to me since it took me forever to get to BSL ( Thanks to all of ur help!!!:) ) but I have to admit that I didn't know how to properly take care of my hair back then.... We shall see my friends, we shall see...

Last edited:
I have to get my hair done professionally in about 4 to 5 weeks. Will be time for my relaxer, cut, color and deep conditioner.

I get real happy around this time :D

I made BSB about a month ago, and now seems like I'm grazing BSL. I noticed last week when I did a rollerset/saran wrap before getting my crochets. My roots didn't get fully straight because I'm 10.5 months post. It's probably a little longer if I flat ironed, but haven't used direct heat since my last relaxer in June. I don't really want to claim it until I get atleast another 1/2 inch or so. Let me know what you ladies think.

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 25
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I have to get my hair done professionally in about 4 to 5 weeks. Will be time for my relaxer, cut, color and deep conditioner.

I get real happy around this time :D

I will be getting a relaxer in another 3-4 weeks too. This summer heat is not playing, also im exercising more too. I can't wait either. I just want to be able to feel my scalp again.

After my run today, Im going in to get my hair deep conditioned and blowdried straight. Maybe one day I will blowdry/flatiron my hair myself. This extra exercising have me to done for the day. I just want to be pampered and relax, I also picked up two classes this semester, and working. Yeah Im tired.

Last edited:
I made BSB about a month ago, and now seems like I'm grazing BSL. I noticed last week when I did a rollerset/saran wrap before getting my crochets. My roots didn't get fully straight because I'm 10.5 months post. It's probably a little longer if I flat ironed, but haven't used direct heat since my last relaxer in June. I don't really want to claim it until I get atleast another 1/2 inch or so. Let me know what you ladies think.

Congratulations! You are def. grazing. Once you relax, you will be firmly there. :yep:

Congratulations! You are def. grazing. Once you relax, you will be firmly there. :yep:

Thanks beans4reezy! I'm actually doing a long term transition, so at some point this year I'll flat iron to see my true length. I don't plan on using direct heat much, so I probably won't flat iron until Thanksgiving. My goal is BSL by my 1 year HHJ anniversary in June, which I'm sure I'll really be there by then. Hoping to be grazing MBL by the end of the year. :)

Last edited:
Although I joined this challenge in January, I feel like I'm more legit since I've now achieved APL.:grin:

Here is my current length. BSL would be past the number 7 on me.....I'm a very slow grower, but I think without any set backs I could get here by
Dec 2010 or early 2011:ohwell:.......

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 26
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 26
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 32
Back