BSL 2010 Challenge

CONGRATS to the Ladies who have reached BSL. Great motivation for us, who are striving to get there.

Well I got another trim, I know im tripping, but I really needed it and my breakage stopped to, so my ends were just bad. Im good now. I been very lazy with my hair, so I need to get back on my game. Start back Co washing 2 times a week. I can't afford no more trims this year.

I also measured my hair, I have 2-3 inches before im BSL. Hopefully I can reach that by DEC.

I know some people think different, but I looked at my hair in the mirror which is a little past APL and I consider it long. Im happy with it and I know I will be even happier with BSL. (Im 5'4) APL was the biggest hurdle for me.

I feel you. I just did a major trim tonight, 2 to 3 inches in some area.:blush: I have to get these split ends under control. I just trimmed in Feb.:ohwell: I think my hair is officially tired of the bun.

I feel you. I just did a major trim tonight, 2 to 3 inches in some area.:blush: I have to get these split ends under control. I just trimmed in Feb.:ohwell: I think my hair is officially tired of the bun.

hi Flowinlocks!
i'm so sad to hear you trimmed so much! however, having hair that is healthy is much better than long, but scraggily hair, imho.
now you've got a fresh new start!
but the part about your hair being "officially tired of the bun" i don't quite understand.

how long had you bunned?
HOW did you bun?
what did you put in your hair before you bunned?

i know many ladies have had alot of success with bunning, so i'm thinking it must be something with the technique, rather than the actual practice of bunning.

I am like 2 seconds away from BSB but it doesn't feel like it because its only the back layer in a V shape:ohwell:
Even after the back touches, I will still go for full BSB, that may not happen till 2011 though...

I had to drop out of the juice challenge however my retention is still pretty good and i'm slowly inching towards full apl. I think I will straighten next in april :)

Well until 11am today, I was almost 40 weeks into my transition. I went to the salon and relaxed today. I'm feeling okay about my decision. Between work and family obligations, I just didn't have the time my transitioning hair needed to thrive. My ends were looking straggly and thin and I was getting bad breakage in my crown. I took down my tree braids about a week ago. I went to the salon and had my hair pressed, but after a few days, I was finding my hair very unmanageable and my kitchen was just out-of-control.

With my relaxer back, I can go back to co-washing once a week and maybe more without struggling with detangling. I am attaching a pic I took after I got my hair pressed post-tree braid takedown. I think I was just grazing BSB. I had about an inch took off today when I relaxed. I can't seem to get a decent pic, but will try again tmrw.

I'm still hoping that someway, somehow, I can make it to BSB by July (at least grazing again).

Attachments

• APRIL_38wkspost.jpg
    APRIL_38wkspost.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 38
Hi ladies just checking in, I don't have anything new to report, I'll be in braids until I do my length check in june.

we have until december 31st., 2010 to make this challenge at BSL, right?

i think i''ll need each and every second....

doing a length check next month after a 4 month stretch. (1st. stretch ever!)

why doesn't my hair "look" like it's grown alot after all this time?:ohwell:
(one does tend to expect "more" than what i used to see after just 2 months)

i really hope it's just the ng "pulling my hair up".........!:perplexed

if not, i might just have to bow out of this challenge.:sad:

we have until december 31st., 2010 to make this challenge at BSL, right?

i think i''ll need each and every second....

doing a length check next month after a 4 month stretch. (1st. stretch ever!)

why doesn't my hair "look" like it's grown alot after all this time?:ohwell:
(one does tend to expect "more" than what i used to see after just 2 months)

i really hope it's just the ng "pulling my hair up".........!:perplexed

if not, i might just have to bow out of this challenge.:sad:

Grow, don't give up. I really believe you will see a difference length wise after your stretch ends. Shrinkage is a beast and yes, at this point that ng is over powering your relaxed ends.

I'm starting to doubt I'll reach BSL by the end of the year:(.

Even with a trim it looks to me like you will defo make it this year :drunk:

It's been exactly a month since I last straightened my hair and I was 4.5 inches from bsl and for some reason I was feeling all antsy about length so I got my SO to measure again and now i'm 3.5 inches away!!
I don't think i've ever gotten an inch in a month, maybe this is my summer spurt :clap:

Well until 11am today, I was almost 40 weeks into my transition. I went to the salon and relaxed today. I'm feeling okay about my decision. Between work and family obligations, I just didn't have the time my transitioning hair needed to thrive. My ends were looking straggly and thin and I was getting bad breakage in my crown. I took down my tree braids about a week ago. I went to the salon and had my hair pressed, but after a few days, I was finding my hair very unmanageable and my kitchen was just out-of-control.

With my relaxer back, I can go back to co-washing once a week and maybe more without struggling with detangling. I am attaching a pic I took after I got my hair pressed post-tree braid takedown. I think I was just grazing BSB. I had about an inch took off today when I relaxed. I can't seem to get a decent pic, but will try again tmrw.

I'm still hoping that someway, somehow, I can make it to BSB by July (at least grazing again).

Im sorry you had to end your transisition, howerver in a couple of months you should be there, since you just had a trim. Keep doing what you doing.

Last edited:
ORIGHT The Princess hand over those scissors, your making BSL this year no more cutting. (holds out her hands----> :nono: no more cutting) I am glad the breakage ceased! I know how frustrating that can be.

:yawn:I know, I know. Im done cutting for the rest of the year. BSL here I come.

Well I been doing good this week. Take it a week at a time.

I don't know if you all tried the Suave Almond and Sheabutter conditioner, but that stuff is pretty good. This my second time using it. Its very, very moisturizing, my hair felt soft and moisturize even days after I co wash with it. My hair wasn't mushy either, moisturize and strong. Suave did good with this product.

Well I DC Thurdsay with ORS Replenish Conditioner (Old Version-my last bottle) I didn't use any heat, put it on dry hair and place two plastic caps over my head, while I did my finals for my class. Rinse it out and wet bun. So far so good.

I also clean out my PJ stash, I had alot of stuff that was just collecting dust and some stuff was just old that expired, wouldn't dare sale it or even think about giving it away. I didn't realize how much stuff I accumulated since the beginning of the year.

Now what I have left:

V05 conditioner-co wash
Biologe Conditioning Balm-Deep Conditioner (this stuff is great for my hair)
Elasta QP Shampoo-Moisturizing and Strengthening Versions
Suave Conditioner-Almond Shea butter conditioner & Sleek Conditioner-great for when the hair gets unruly while stretching
2 min Kertain Aphogee-great alone or with DC

I have a few more that I have for everyday use, but this is the base of my haircare line.

So yeah im good, just can't get lazy with my haircare anymore.

Last edited:
Hey ladies...just checking in. Congrats to everyone that's reached BSL so far! I've been up and down lately w/ my hair. After the BKT a month ago I wore it in a curly pony for a couple weeks. Then I got bored and got a weave to my lower back, only to have to take it out 3 days after I got it because I booked a job and they wanted my hair curly lol. So got it blown out and flat ironed last week and a much needed trim(I was only at the salon 2 hours start to finish-BKT ROCKS!!). Still trying to get rid of these layers and it's hard because my hair "feels" longer but then i look at pics and i'm like has it grown at all. So i don't know. I'm in APL land and feel pretty good that I'll reach BSL this year...fingers crossed! ETA...Measured from top of head to bottom layer: 18"
P1020825.jpg

Last edited:
Hey ladies...just checking in. Congrats to everyone that's reached BSL so far! I've been up and down lately w/ my hair. After the BKT a month ago I wore it in a curly pony for a couple weeks. Then I got bored and got a weave to my lower back, only to have to take it out 3 days after I got it because I booked a job and they wanted my hair curly lol. So got it blown out and flat ironed last week and a much needed trim(I was only at the salon 2 hours start to finish-BKT ROCKS!!). Still trying to get rid of these layers and it's hard because my hair "feels" longer but then i look at pics and i'm like has it grown at all. So i don't know. I'm in APL land and feel pretty good that I'll reach BSL this year...fingers crossed! ETA...Measured from top of head to bottom layer: 18"
P1020825.jpg

Your hair is thick and full. Keep it up.

Hello Ladies,

For all who feel like your not going to make it, we all have until December 31st to reach our goals. Some people reach it quicker than others but this is really not a competition it is our personal goals and we are challenging ourselves.

No giving up! U start lets finish it up. Don't doubt you'll reach it, lets figure out if we have a breakage problem and figure how to fix it and lets stop unnecessarily cutting . Otherwise we just have to let the scalp and hair do it's thing. Nada is impossible.

But if any of you give up you've already been defeated. :(

So please stay in it! I really would like you to still try to make it.

I went into the MBL challenge and knew I was pushing my luck, I am not giving up though, so what if I don't make it. I will join again next year. (I really think I might have to join next year, but I don't mind)

Last edited:
Well I went through somethings in my stash I am trying to use up somethings. I have the rest of the year to complete using up some of the many conditioners I have :D

I want to use up 1 more right now before I treat myself to the Banana Brulee I am so excited to pop it open.

Well I been doing good this week. Take it a week at a time.

I don't know if you all tried the Suave Almond and Sheabutter conditioner, but that stuff is pretty good. This my second time using it. Its very, very moisturizing, my hair felt soft and moisturize even days after I co wash with it. My hair wasn't mushy either, moisturize and strong. Suave did good with this product.

Well I DC Thurdsay with ORS Replenish Conditioner (Old Version-my last bottle) I didn't use any heat, put it on dry hair and place two plastic caps over my head, while I did my finals for my class. Rinse it out and wet bun. So far so good.

I also clean out my PJ stash, I had alot of stuff that was just collecting dust and some stuff was just old that expired, wouldn't dare sale it or even think about giving it away. I didn't realize how much stuff I accumulated since the beginning of the year.

Now what I have left:

V05 conditioner-co wash
Biologe Conditioning Balm-Deep Conditioner (this stuff is great for my hair)
Elasta QP Shampoo-Moisturizing and Strengthening Versions
Suave Conditioner-Almond Shea butter conditioner & Sleek Conditioner-great for when the hair gets unruly while stretching
2 min Kertain Aphogee-great alone or with DC

I have a few more that I have for everyday use, but this is the base of my haircare line.

So yeah im good, just can't get lazy with my haircare anymore.

The not being lazy part is so hard, but I'll have less of an excuse since this fresh relaxer will make detangling a breeze. Nothing like my recent experiences. You just reminded me I have some of the 2-min keratin in my stash. I think I will use that next weekend. BSL and thicker hair here I come.

Almost 12 wks post still planning on going to 16 wks. Flat ironed my hair last weekend for my little sister's bday and then again this weekend bc my boyfriend was in town. I used CHI iron guard but I don't plan on heat styling again until I relax.

i had been planning to perm next month so i could do a length check for my APL by may 31st goal, but i've been convinced to stretch my perm some more.

let's hope that this low to zero manipulation, continued stretch (to the 5 month mark), and good care for my hair will help not only the APL goal, but also put me on track for this BSL goal....

I just realised my hair hates cones, it's really a shame it had to take me so many uses to realise. I would use like a serum, let my hair dry and it would feel horrible.
Same story with practically anything with cones in.

I feel guilty I gotta buy more products but at the same time i'm like yaay more products lol

i had been planning to perm next month so i could do a length check for my APL by may 31st goal, but i've been convinced to stretch my perm some more.

let's hope that this low to zero manipulation, continued stretch (to the 5 month mark), and good care for my hair will help not only the APL goal, but also put me on track for this BSL goal....

Don't stretch to a point of damage to your hair or breakage. :)
If 3 months is your max don't try to reach 5 months because....

If your doing more damage than good to your hair your defeating the purpose. If all is going well, great stretch :D

I got a lot of shedding today, ILL!

I wonder what that was about, I know the norm is 50-100 but I don't usually get the norm, I get half, if that. Maybe about 10 strands, today I got the whole 50. NOt happy with that! :cry:

Don't stretch to a point of damage to your hair or breakage. :)
If 3 months is your max don't try to reach 5 months because....

If your doing more damage than good to your hair your defeating the purpose. If all is going well, great stretch :D

thanks sweetness! the ONLY time i had breakage was when i used Chi Keratin Mist and another italian protein leave-in that only had hydrolyzed wheat protein.
the only protein i have used without breakage is Mega Tek (with alot of water and oil to dilute it), so maybe i can make it and stretch a lil more, if i'm careful.

I got a lot of shedding today, ILL!

I wonder what that was about, I know the norm is 50-100 but I don't usually get the norm, I get half, if that. Maybe about 10 strands, today I got the whole 50. NOt happy with that! :cry:

i know how you feel!
at this time of year, while the seasons are changing and temperatures drop from a hot sunny day to a cold chilly night, my hair feels it.

have you tried garlic? what about alot of moisture?

some shedding at this time might just be normal, so i hope it passes quickly, JJamiah!

thanks sweetness! the ONLY time i had breakage was when i used Chi Keratin Mist and another italian protein leave-in that only had hydrolyzed wheat protein.
the only protein i have used without breakage is Mega Tek (with alot of water and oil to dilute it), so maybe i can make it and stretch a lil more, if i'm careful.

i know how you feel!
at this time of year, while the seasons are changing and temperatures drop from a hot sunny day to a cold chilly night, my hair feels it.

have you tried garlic? what about alot of moisture?

some shedding at this time might just be normal, so i hope it passes quickly, JJamiah!

WOW see different strokes different folks my hair broke for 5 months from Mega Tek, :( <--- this is how I looked for real.

I am going to update in a week see if it continues. :)

If not Garlic is the next step ;)

Hello Ladies,

Just checking in! So I flat ironed my hair and much to my surprise, I am grazing BSB. Prayerfully, I can make my goal of BSL by the end of June :pray: The picture I took afterward is my avatar (sorry about the bad quality). Congrats, to all who have made it and keep up the good work!

Hello Ladies,

I am new to LHCF and am just getting serious about my haircare. I am still learning about regimens and products. I will post my regimen once I discover it. For now, I will try the following (based on what I read so far):

1) Pre poo, shampoo, light protein, DC once per week
2) Co-wash at least once between shampoos
3) Moisturize daily, seal with an oil
4) Minimal heat - rollerset w/heat max 1x per week with poo
5) Air dry styles when co washing
6) Reconstructor every 2-4 weeks

I am really just learning what to do. I will post products soon. I have been using NTM line for years, Emergencee, and Pantene RN line. I use a Motions Oil Mild Relaxer but it is time to change. I am 8-10 weeks post relaxer, trying to stretch further. I am planning to try the Linange Shea Butter texturizer in a week or so. I was thinking that the Linange texturizer would be comparable to a mild relaxer. Please let me know if you have any experience with the Linange products. I have to learn how to prevent split ends. I currently trim every 4 weeks so I do not retain length. I seriously neglected my hair for the past few years. This challenge is exactly what I need to push myself to do what I have to do to retain length and see progress.

I will post regimen products ASAP. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on products, techniques, or anything.

Attachments

• 4 26 10 004.jpg
    4 26 10 004.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hello Ladies,

Just checking in! So I flat ironed my hair and much to my surprise, I am grazing BSB. Prayerfully, I can make my goal of BSL by the end of June :pray: The picture I took afterward is my avatar (sorry about the bad quality). Congrats, to all who have made it and keep up the good work!

YES your are, CONGRATS!!!!

Hey ladies,
Just wondering how everyone is doing! :D
I used some Long Term Relationship Leave in, then applied some Argan oil on top of it and my hair is sooooo Silky Smooth :D :lick:

Back