BSL 2010 Challenge

@JJ, don't get discouraged, it's going to be okay:bighug:Do you know what part of your hair is experiencing the breakage? Do you think it could be do to styling? It's still early in the year, If you don't meet your goal at the beginning of summer I'm sure you will hit it by the end.

I pray I don't have any set backs, I'm sticking to one style for the rest of this year and thats natural braids. My SO has already started giving me the side eye:grin: but I don't care. I keep telling him if it's that serious then I will consider buying a wig but I refuse to straigthen right now. I can't wait until the end of the year, I :pray: reach all my goals.

I am not too sure what is wrong, I know I am wearing my hair out more, I am wearing my cap, only thing that has changed is I am using the steamer instead of my heating cap, so that is why I am going to steam and then leave on the heating cap for an hour. I love the feel after the steam and during. I am trying not to be discouraged! :sad:

update...so after pre-pooing, washing and dcing my hair i finally decided to flat iron my hair to see the length and ladies.....I'M APL!!!!!! :dance7:
Seriously girls...this is the longest my hair has EVER BEEN, EVER! Thanks LHCF and you lovely ladies who's helped me though my HHJ.
I wont officially claim it until i relax in May. BTW, i'm 23 weeks post so my hair should be a little longer than the pic below.

DSC02234-vi.jpg

Congratulations :)

OMGosh, Im sorry to hear about this. Breakage is not good. Well at least you have an ideal where its comming from. Hopefully the side effects will stop soon. Im sure the steam treatments will help.

I hope all ends well :) thanks

My Split Ender just arrived. Wow. I can't use it until later tonight. Ah well.

How exciting for you! :bouncegre Longer than you've ever been! Congrats on making APL!!

ahhhh a new toy :)

Sorry to hear about your breakage. Have you tried doing a protein treatment? I'm sure the steaming will help also.:yep: Hang in there.

I did a recent Nexxus Emergencee Treatment. I do use the Aphogee Keratin Green Tea and Aphogee Leave in, or Redken Antisnap after my washes :( Just hoping to nip this in the bud soon :(

Last edited:
I'm still keeping my regimen up. Sometimes it feels daunting, like I have to push myself to do it. With Spring now here, I think I'll be more prone to feel good about my regimen.

I had to get my trim this month. Booo. I'm still tipping BSB just not as close as before. Barely needed it since my ends are looking good but I try to trim twice a year just to get the old ends out here and there. Oh well. I'm about to DC for a bit then rollerset my hair. I'm thinking of another protective style before it truly gets warm. We shall see.

That's it. I'm not tipping BSB anymore. After I dc'ed and co-washed my hair today, I had my hubby measure my hair. I'm now BSB. Since my next relaxer is in May, I'll be full BSB or tipping BSL (the bottom of my bra would make me MBL since I'm 5'2). We shall see!!!

I think im going to have a setback. last month i had a touch up after wearing breads. My ends are thin. I havent had a trim yet. I will next touch up in another 2 months. I think i might have to get as much as 1.5 inches trim off. But on the bright side my hair is thicker and I will still make BSL this year

Quick Question....Is it safe to rollerset every week, under a dryer or is it to much heat.

I got my first rollerset done Friday and I loved it. It was bouncy, full with soft curls. I just don't want a set back. My beautician use Keracare Foam Lotion, now I see why the ladies love this stuff, its good. My curls were so soft. She wrapped it and when I took it down the next day, it was oh so beatuiful.

I might be hooked now. She used the red rollers on my head.

No roller setting is an excellent way to style your hair and minimize heat damage because it is indirect heat. The only safer way to dry your hair is to air dry it. But that does not work for eveyone when I air dry I end up with breakage. But when I roller set I only lose about 10-15 strands of hair when I am combing through to put on the rollers.

Once a week roller setting is a great way to maintain your hair and is much healthier then blowdrying and flat ironing.

No roller setting is an excellent way to style your hair and minimize heat damage because it is indirect heat. The only safer way to dry your hair is to air dry it. But that does not work for eveyone when I air dry I end up with breakage. But when I roller set I only lose about 10-15 strands of hair when I am combing through to put on the rollers.

Once a week roller setting is a great way to maintain your hair and is much healthier then blowdrying and flat ironing.

Yeah I was thinking about the bolded. Also less stress on the hair from it too.

I am going to join this challenge. I hope to be BSL at least by the end of 2010 if not before!

Regimen:
I cowash daily
Wash and deep condition weekly

Products I am using:
Olive Oil, Coconut Oil , Castor Oil, Glycerin, Aloe Vera gel, Eco Styler gel, shea butter, ORS Pak, Lustrasilk Cholesterol...I'm pretty sure I've left something out

Starting Length: SL

Goal Month: October 2010

Attachments

• 3.23.10.JPG
    3.23.10.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 3.23.10b.jpg
    3.23.10b.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 9
That's it. I'm not tipping BSB anymore. After I dc'ed and co-washed my hair today, I had my hubby measure my hair. I'm now BSB. Since my next relaxer is in May, I'll be full BSB or tipping BSL (the bottom of my bra would make me MBL since I'm 5'2). We shall see!!!

What does BSB stand for?

Congrats! I know you are excited.

I think im going to have a setback. last month i had a touch up after wearing breads. My ends are thin. I havent had a trim yet. I will next touch up in another 2 months. I think i might have to get as much as 1.5 inches trim off. But on the bright side my hair is thicker and I will still make BSL this year

Hang in there. I trimmed an inch of in Jan and I'll be trimming again in June. I'll take healthy ends over length any day. And yes you will make BSL this year.:yep:

Mini update:

I'm slowly, but surely, inching my way to BSL. I'm about 1 inch away from APL and 4.5 to 5 inches away from BSL.
10-09_3-10_comparison.jpg

Congratulations!

I am going to join this challenge. I hope to be BSL at least by the end of 2010 if not before!

Regimen:
I cowash daily
Wash and deep condition weekly

Products I am using:
Olive Oil, Coconut Oil , Castor Oil, Glycerin, Aloe Vera gel, Eco Styler gel, shea butter, ORS Pak, Lustrasilk Cholesterol...I'm pretty sure I've left something out

Starting Length: SL

Goal Month: October 2010

Welcome!!

I have a little update. I flat ironed my hair last week. A couple inches away!

Congratulations, you're almost there!

Everyone's doing great!

Is anyone else just tickling BSL and working on FULL BSL? I wonder how long it'll take. I figured 8 weeks, but since I cut a 1/2 inch it may take 12 weeks or so.

Oh yeah, NikStar, your hair is so pretty! It looks like you're already BSL. (if you pulled it straight with your finger)

Everyone's doing great!

Is anyone else just tickling BSL and working on FULL BSL? I wonder how long it'll take. I figured 8 weeks, but since I cut a 1/2 inch it may take 12 weeks or so.

Oh yeah, NikStar, your hair is so pretty! It looks like you're already BSL. (if you pulled it straight with your finger)

You are so so so close! Keep doin' what you doin'!

Ohhh, please give us a review!! :grin:

Ok, regarding the Split-ender. I used it on my daughter first. She was wearing a weave but I could see that her own hair was riddled with split ends because of old streaks. (smh) It seemed like the split-ender missed some of the split ends but, then again, her hair wasn't clean. She told me later that she had Cantu oil on it. :ohwell: I'm glad she told me because I was a little skeptical at that point.

I used it earlier this evening on my own hair and my ends look heavenly. They looked good pretty good prior to the split-ender but I couldn't see the back of my hair at all. So, I used it just in case. The ends cut were just like advertised. Very tiny pieces. I didn't see any split ends on the "dust" when dumped onto a paper towel. I imagine if I had any, it would've gotten them, just by the amount of clippings it did do.

I think it works as advertised. The main thing that concerned me was whether it would chop my hair up. It didn't. It was easy to use, tho it sounded a little primative. I'm pleased with the condition of my hair and am throwing away the packaging. It's a keeper. I'd rather use it to dust my hair than trust a scissor-happy stylist. :yep:

This weekend was relaxer weekend.....bittersweet results....:look:

Well, I didn't really get the growth I wanted...:ohwell:

All that new growth tearing my head up, and barely anything to show for it....*sigh*:perplexed

I'll just keep chugging along. Never know what can happen between now and December 31st!:yep:

UPDATES IN MY FOTKI....PLEASE COMMENT....thanks, ladies!

hi ladies!

just checking in....

keep the faith Baddison!
how much time had passed between your perms?

ALOT can happen between now and dec. 31st. and i'm COUNTING ON IT!!!

by then, according to my calculations, i should be past bsl, but even if i'm just a full bsl, i will be happy!!!

hhj ladies!

Just checking in...still wearing my hair up in low manipulation styles...Ready for April 1st so I can officially start the "Juice Challenge"...Here are a couple of pics of how I'm wearing my hair for this week...nothing spectacular, but it definitely gets the "job" done (retaining length)...HHG Ladies!

Attachments

• hairfromback3.25.jpg
    hairfromback3.25.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 7
  • hairfromside235.jpg
    hairfromside235.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 8

All that new growth tearing my head up, and barely anything to show for it....*sigh*:perplexed

I'll just keep chugging along. Never know what can happen between now and December 31st!:yep:

Aww, it's ok :bighug:. Happens to me a lot, too. I'll think "Man, look at all this new growth! Definitely going to see some progress this time", but then I relax and I'm like ":look: That's it??" It's usually when I don't care what hair length I am that I notice major progress :yep:.

Hey ladies checking in still weaving it up hoping for BSL the last week of June..

Im going to up my co-washing and moisturizing.....

I tend to lose hair between styles...so this time Im not taking my hair down until one day before my new hair appointment, because I tend to tangle my hair and get knots, when I get lazy....so I think the last few months I lost hair that I grew because it was tangled...

Mini update: You hair is really looking good, keep it up.

I'm slowly, but surely, inching my way to BSL. I'm about 1 inch away from APL and 4.5 to 5 inches away from BSL.
10-09_3-10_comparison.jpg

I have a little update. I flat ironed my hair last week. A couple inches away!
You will be BSL before you know it.

December is a long time comming, im sure you will make it before way before than.

Back