BSL 2010 Challenge

Hi everyone. I relaxed my hair last week and cut off some horrid ends the week before. Right now, I'm somewhat between APL and BSL. I'm trying to cut myself some slack because stress and the hot extreme weather tore my hair up.

I chose not to henna and indigo dye my hair this time. It was just too messy for me to handle. I colored with Beautiful Collection by Clariol.

Today I shampooed my hair with Isoplus shampoo, threw some Porosity Control in my hair and deep conditioned with Mane n' Tail Original Conditioner. Right now, I'm sitting under the dryer after roller setting. I'll start drinking my egglette shake again starting Monday. I really hope I can have long, thick hair again.

I have noticed that my hair really doesn't like being air dried at all. I keep trying it, and it always makes my hair dry and causes breakage. I am definitely going to stop that, or I won't reach BSL this year. I am close to APL now, but I will know for sure after my next touch up at the end of Feb.

I could never air-dry before either :nono:, my find tresses would just shrink up and break. For me the savior was CO and Amla oil as the sealer after my leave-in. Since I wear my hair in a bun most of the time, the oil doesn't bother me. Have you ever tried CO and/or Amla oil?
Just finished my double Ayurveda tea rinses. Sealed with Rusk Calm and sealed with my CO/Amla mix. I trimmed about 1/4 inch off earlier in the week off of back layers because I did not like the way it looked.. Forgot to take pics but will do so. Still have the hair to take a pic of that too.

Just finished my double Ayurveda tea rinses. Sealed with Rusk Calm and sealed with my CO/Amla mix.

hi Aspire! could you please explain a bit about which Ayurveda tea rinses you use and how you use them?
i've heard alot about this practice but would like to know first hand from people who actually do this, what it's like....thanks!

Today is wash day for me, starting to look forward to them now... Nothing special to add just trying to stay consistent.

Hoping to be BSL by this summer. I just did a touch up yesterday, I stretch for 3 months on average.

I rollerset so I will post my comparison pics in here to guage where I was last year and where I am now, once my hair dries and I dust my ends, if I need to.

For the most part I try to keep it simple, so I bun daily. I cut my washing down to 1 time a week, primarily on Sundays, unless I find it necessary otherwise. I wash with Creme of Nature and DC with Ion Masque.

I am trying to stay consistent with my protein as well, but I find my hair doesn't need heavy protein so I stick to Aphogee 2 min reconstructor. If I see breakage here and there, I will use Motions CPR. On days I bun, I use a leave-in ( I use a few that range in texture (thin to thick), so I just take my pick depending on how my hair feels), and I seal with coconut oil.

I have noticed that my hair really doesn't like being air dried at all. I keep trying it, and it always makes my hair dry and causes breakage. I am definitely going to stop that, or I won't reach BSL this year. I am close to APL now, but I will know for sure after my next touch up at the end of Feb.

r u natural? cause i cant seem to airdry as well, i just get nots and dry crunchy hair. any naturals who air dry successfully, what are your methods. i have been blow drying on cool, just hope its not hindering my progress :ohwell:

Yes, that's right. I got 2 inches in 22 weeks or .09 inches per week which means I'm under 1/2 inch per month. I get about .36 inches each month.

At that rate it's about 4.32 inches per year. :nono:

I never really measured until now, it's kind of depressing. Especially after having a setback last year where I lost 2 inches.

I think I must have had some breakage I didn't notice because I'm still shoulder length. I have another 2 inches before I get to APL and that will take me about another 5 months.

I'm about to go join the APL Challenge at least I'll have made some type of goal!:lachen:

i have the same growth rate as you, i have learned to be patient and do mostly protective styles, just hang in there. i currently started taking maxi hair and got 1 inch in 5weeks, i'm still in shock at that so i will be checking again in another month to see if i get another inch before i actually believe it. my nails are growing too , i've been taking it since mid december so we'll see. do you take any vitamins?

Today I'm DCing my hair. I use NTM Deep Recovery Mask on dry hair for 30 minutes, rinse, put some leave-in on my hair (I'll most likely use HE Long-Term Relationship), and air dry, while in the midst of doing laundry.

Once mostly dry, I will moisturize and seal using NTM Silky Touch Leave-In, castor oil and coconut oil before I go to sleep.

Hey Ladies, just wondering, how many inches is your hair now, and how many inches do you need to be BSL?
I'm currently 10.5inches
and i think BSL is 14.5 inches on me. so i need just 4.5 inches, seems so little doesnt it? but its going to take ages thanks to my slow growth.
can you all post where you are and what inches you need to be for Bsl?

Hey Ladies, just wondering, how many inches is your hair now, and how many inches do you need to be BSL?
I'm currently 10.5inches
and i think BSL is 14.5 inches on me. so i need just 4.5 inches, seems so little doesnt it? but its going to take ages thanks to my slow growth.

how do we measure? from the top of our head ( meaning the edge of our forehead) to the longest hair in the back?

my hair is different lengths.....wouldn't know how to measure it well....

i measure the front of my hair the middle and the back, and i have same same lenght hair in the front and back but shorter in the middle, i guess this is also my coarsest part, its about 8-9inches. just measure roughly the lenght of your longest layer in the back doesnt have to be that accurate, its just for fun though. this is how i track my growth though :look:

with all that hair in your siggy i dont see why not:yep:, what makes you say that princess?

Cause im not really focusing on my hair like when I was trying to get APL. Right now Im just trying to maintain. Before, I was using Growth Aids, Massaging my scalp taking 50-11 vitamins, now Im just going slow and easy. Im loving my hair now, so when it get there, it will be fine for me.

Count me in! My January pic is in my siggy. I don't have a goal month just some point in 2010 I hope to be BSL. My layers are almost gone and my ends are doing well so it definitely seems possible. I rotate between sew-ins, wigs, twist-outs, and getting my hair flat ironed. I steam weekly or at least every week and a half and I feel like this has been the game changer for me. I'm also incorporating more ayurvedic oils as well (bhringaj is my new love!). In 2009 I only flat-ironed my hair maybe 5 times but I plan to do it more this year unless I have a set back as a result. Happy hair growing ladies and I can't wait to see all of our progress :)

ETA:
Regimen:
If in a sew-in wash/steam once a week. Moisturize braids underneath w/ argan oil or evco every other day
If not in a sew-in: wash/steam and wear in twists under a wig/fall for 5 days and twist out for last 2 days
If flat-ironed - moisturize w/ argan oil and wrap at night
I keep it pretty simple

Products you're using:
DC's - ORS Replenishing Condish, Crema Midollo Placenta, Neil George Indian Gooseberry Intense Repair Mask (i add in evco and steam. don't sit under dryer anymore)
Co-wash - Pantene R&N, Herbal Essence Coconut Milk, any other cheapies I run across
Pre-poo - Bhingraj oil (sp?)
Leave-in - 14-n-1, Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in

Starting Hair Length: Grazing APL?

Goal Month: June/July 2010? this is all new hair territory for me so i'm open to suggestions

Last edited:
I'm currently 10.5inches

Well I go by measuring my nape because that's my shortest layer so when that hits BSl I'll claim even though I won't be full.

APL on there is 8 inches and i'm roughly 9 inches there. BSL from my nape is 12-13 inches so that will take me 4-5 inches. I only retained 4 inches in 2009 so this will be a close call. The rest of my hair is roughly 12-14 inches but because it's so further up they're not even APL I don't think.

Well I go by measuring my nape because that's my shortest layer so when that hits BSl I'll claim even though I won't be full.

APL on there is 8 inches and i'm roughly 9 inches there. BSL from my nape is 12-13 inches so that will take me 4-5 inches. I only retained 4 inches in 2009 so this will be a close call. The rest of my hair is roughly 12-14 inches but because it's so further up they're not even APL I don't think.

your measurements are pretty close to mine, you must be in the 5ft something height region too right:yep:. 4-5 inches doesnt sound too bad, i hope were able to retain that much this year

Hoping to be BSL by this summer. I just did a touch up yesterday, I stretch for 3 months on average.

I rollerset so I will post my comparison pics in here to guage where I was last year and where I am now, once my hair dries and I dust my ends, if I need to.

For the most part I try to keep it simple, so I bun daily. I cut my washing down to 1 time a week, primarily on Sundays, unless I find it necessary otherwise. I wash with Creme of Nature and DC with Ion Masque.

I am trying to stay consistent with my protein as well, but I find my hair doesn't need heavy protein so I stick to Aphogee 2 min reconstructor. If I see breakage here and there, I will use Motions CPR. On days I bun, I use a leave-in ( I use a few that range in texture (thin to thick), so I just take my pick depending on how my hair feels), and I seal with coconut oil.

Count me in! My January pic is in my siggy. I don't have a goal month just some point in 2010 I hope to be BSL. My layers are almost gone and my ends are doing well so it definitely seems possible. I rotate between sew-ins, wigs, twist-outs, and getting my hair flat ironed. I steam weekly or at the most every week and a half and I feel like this has been the game changer for me. I'm also incorporating more ayurvedic oils as well (bhringaj is my new love!). In 2009 I only flat-ironed my hair maybe 5 times but I plan to do it more this year unless I have a set back as a result. Happy hair growing ladies and I can't wait to see all of our progress :)

ETA:
Regimen:
If in a sew-in wash/steam once a week. Moisturize braids underneath w/ argan oil or evco every other day
If not in a sew-in: wash/steam and wear in twists under a wig/fall for 5 days and twist out for last 2 days
If flat-ironed - moisturize w/ argan oil and wrap at night
I keep it pretty simple

Products your using:
DC's - ORS Replenishing Condish, Crema Midollo Placenta, Neil George Indian Gooseberry Intense Repair Mask (i add in evco and steam. don't sit under dryer anymore)
Co-wash - Pantene R&N, Herbal Essence Coconut Milk, any other cheapies I run across
Pre-poo - Bhingraj oil (sp?)
Leave-in - 14-n-1, Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in

Starting Hair Length: Grazing APL?

Goal Month: June/July 2010? this is all new hair territory for me so i'm open to suggestions

Sounds great ladies! I am also trying to make it by June 2010 summer time.

:welcome3:

I'm currently 10.5inches

When I measured in December, from my hairline to my ends was 18 inches. I know that doesn't really measure the actual length of the strands, but I have to do the measuring and picture taking by myself, so its easiest to just clip the tape to the front of my head.

APL is one inch down at 19 inches, and BSL is 4.5 inches down at 22.5 inches.
I joined the one inch a month challenge, but that doesn't look like it's going to be happening....sooo...I'm aiming for APL by my length check in February and for BSL by my length check in December.
I'm not sure that I'll make either deadline, because I am an extraordinarily slow grower as well, but I'm really going to try. :yep:

Oh yeah, and I'm 5'3...5'4 when I wake up in the morning. :look:

ETA: I made a chart.

Attachments

• Hair Chart.jpg
    Hair Chart.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I got my length check shirt yesterday, now i'm tempted to flat iron. :ohwell: I'll try to hold out until next month when I get a Sedu for my birthday.

I got my length check shirt yesterday, now i'm tempted to flat iron. :ohwell: I'll try to hold out until next month when I get a Sedu for my birthday.

I'm currently 10.5inches

My hubby just measured my hair and the back measured at 8.5. He also measured my ends to where I would need to be at bsl and it was 4.25. BSL for me would be a total of 12.75 inches. I thought I had a longer torso. Turns out, I don't.... He said I have a long neck. Hmmmm... I guess I'll still keep him after that comment. Anyway, I'm going to need time through to the end of December, 2010 to reach my goal.

Checking in, I cowashed today with Suave Humectant, Then I dced with AM and HE LTR. I'll be using my homemade sulfur/Ayurveda mixture tonight.

I'm currently 10.5inches

Congrats on your progress, I actually have not measured since my starting pic, I actually don't know how much progress I've made, I did a 1/2inch trim at the end of dec. so I wont do another length check until June. BSL will be 12.5 hope to make it by summer sometime.

Ladies how many of you are doing protective styling for the summer? how do you wear you hair in the summer?

I am thinking I'd do my half wigs for the whole summer, or my lace fronts, I am into Protective styling, I usually use to wear PHONY PONY here PHONY PONY there PHONY Pony Every Where.

FUNNY JOKE, My cousin was talking with me. we got on to the subject of my hair and why I cut it, she goes I know you cut your hair because it was so damaged, I was like My hair has been damaged one time in my life and that was 15 years ago, I colored it to death, I said this time my hair was MBL/WL and I cut it for stupid reasons (made the hubby mad) then she said oh, your ends were horribe, I Was like that wasn't my hair it was my yaky pony tail, LOL! and It was frizzy Brand new out the pack not damaged!!!!!! I laughed. I had to think I rarely wear my hair out, and I have been like this for a few years! (since they came OUT WITH PHONY PONY PULL STRINGS AND COMBS)

I am going to be relaxing Feb. 6, I do my pre-Relaxer Treatment this weekend. I will not be taking pre-pics of my hair. I am hoping we can all do a June 2010 pic for our half year mark, which I will also update my Fotki.

I think I will not get my rinse this time, I am waiting till the following week when I should have my Steamer and I will put it in myself with some Steamer action and see if it last longer. :)

Back