BSL 2010 Challenge

I simply washed and conditioned my hair today.

Does anyone here use Aphogee 2-Min. Reconstructor on their hair once a week?

I did as well all of last year, Just felt my hair was in such a great condition that I didn't need to continue. I also followed it up with a Deep Moisturizing Conditioner. I love it!

I can't wait until my June 2010 Length Check, I am so excited, and I just can't hide it (well I am protective styling) I am about to lose control and I think I like it! ( I know I like it)

I am washing my hair tomorrow, Hair one, conditioning with Hair one and using Aussie Moist for my deep conditioner. I am going under the dryer for about 15 minutes and getting it basically dry. Dry Wrap and put on my lace front for the weekend!

:)

LOL! i can re;ate to how youre feeling right now, just want to let my hair out of this protective style badly!!!!!!!!!!!

i bought a new conditioner/DC today. Its called Biotin Conditioner (can't remember the brand). I picked it up and GNC. the ingredients sound really good, and biotin is actually listed right after water as an ingredient. i also went to CVS and got some ORS replenishing packs and this very cool looking tourmaline-ceramic-ionic round boar bristle brush since I am wearing my hair straight for the winter. I am gonna mix the conditioner with the ors and coconut oil for DCing. Oh I also got ORS creamy aloe shampoo to clarfy with. yeah I got excited in CVS a little lol. I'll let you know how it all works next thursday when I wash, DC, and restraighten

The yarn braids are done. I like em enough to try and make them last a month. I always end up missing my hair by week two. They aren't itching though which might make it easier to keep them in. When I had box braids they were itching while I installed them; I was ready to take them down the minute I finished them, lol.

I'll toss some conditioner and water in a bottle to moisturize them and that's it really.

Wash days come up so quick. I wonder if i'm washing out the natural oils in my hair too soon? Maybe i'll skip this week and see how it goes.

I did a henna/indigo treatment on wed just to get rid of it. My hair came out really dark this time around. Its prob because it was the leftovers from my last treatment. I put it in the freezer to keep it fresh.

Today I am prepooing with jbco and conditioner. Getting ready to wash tomorrow.
All the exercise and eating right I've been doing is really benefitting my hair. The growth is rediculous. Now I'm going to focus on thickening it.

I've only gained about 2 inches in the last 22 weeks. I am definitely a slow grower. I don't think I'm going to make it to BSL this year but I will keep trying.

Although I gained 2 inches I don't seem to be retaining length and I'm trying to figure out why.

I went to the stylist today and she washed, deep conditioned and flat ironed.

After I wash next week I think I'll just be protective styling for the next 2 months before doing another length check.

I'm going back to basics-no dye, no henna/indigo, no heat. I'll just be doing hot oil treatments, washing, deep conditioning and protective styling.

Hopefully I'll see results soon.

I've only gained about 2 inches in the last 22 weeks. I am definitely a slow grower. I don't think I'm going to make it to BSL this year but I will keep trying.

Although I gained 2 inches I don't seem to be retaining length and I'm trying to figure out why.

I went to the stylist today and she washed, deep conditioned and flat ironed.

After I wash next week I think I'll just be protective styling for the next 2 months before doing another length check.

I'm going back to basics-no dye, no henna/indigo, no heat. I'll just be doing hot oil treatments, washing, deep conditioning and protective styling.

Hopefully I'll see results soon.

2 inches in 22 weeks isn't bad, I gather 1/2 inch per month and 4 weeks being a month x 4 is 20 weeks and 1/2 x 4 is 2 inches so you kept all your growth, that is great! :)

your plan sounds great.

I am addicted to my Elise Lace Front, I wore a pair of the 4 inch heels ( I call them Genie Booties) with leg warmers,with a checkered black and white leggings, black shirt with pleats and tucks and a belt across the midsection kinda sheerish, with my Black Elise Lace Front, I was basically all Black and white and it was so NICE the Lace front gave me that Matrix Effect!!!! LOL

I am addicted to my Elise Lace Front, I wore a pair of the 4 inch heels ( I call them Genie Booties) with leg warmers,with a checkered black and white leggings, black shirt with pleats and tucks and a belt across the midsection kinda sheerish, with my Black Elise Lace Front, I was basically all Black and white and it was so NICE the Lace front gave me that Matrix Effect!!!! LOL

too funny :lachen::lachen:

2 inches in 22 weeks isn't bad, I gather 1/2 inch per month and 4 weeks being a month x 4 is 20 weeks and 1/2 x 4 is 2 inches so you kept all your growth, that is great! :)

your plan sounds great.

At 1/2 inch per month I thought it should take approx 16 weeks to get 2 inches of growth though?

I'm 8 weeks post and have well past 1 inch of new growth (I hit the one inch mark at 6 weeks with vitamins/exercise). So without proper care, my NG has the potential to become a monster...:hot:

I really love my EVOO prepoos overnight and DCs (w/heat) in the morning. However, I decided to DC overnight on dry hair (w/ AOHSR & EVOO) because I wanted to try something different that could potentially leave my NG silky smooth. Well, the verdict this morning is that my hair is unbelievably soft. I was able to run my fingers through my hair with no problems.

I think past 8 weeks post, I will begin to DC overnight because this is definitely a staple. I will be interested to know how long this moisture in my hair will last. I usually wash/DC every 3 days...so I'll let you all know.

I'm airdrying right now, and as ya'll know by now...it's going right back into my double bun. I can't wait to wear my hair down at the end of February when my 5 month bunning challenge is over!

Last edited:
So I went to the salon today to get my hair flat ironed (which I do every 2 months). This time I had my stylist spray Aveda Damage Control- thermal protectant on my hair before she put me under the dryer and flat ironed my hair. She usually uses NOTHING to protect my hair. She was totally cool with it, though. She noticed there was some breakage in the back and on the side, but surprisingly she didn't advise a trim or cut. She just said I need to moisturize my ends better, which I recently have started focusing on. My hair came out nice and the back is about 2 inches past SL, so not too big of a setback *SIGH OF RELIEF*

Thanks for all the advice, I think I can still make BSL this year.

I'm finally DCing my hair. I've been really slacking on that lately, but I know it's important if I want to reach BSL by April.

LCWethair1-15-10.jpg

Last edited:
I have noticed that my hair really doesn't like being air dried at all. I keep trying it, and it always makes my hair dry and causes breakage. I am definitely going to stop that, or I won't reach BSL this year. I am close to APL now, but I will know for sure after my next touch up at the end of Feb.

I have noticed that my hair really doesn't like being air dried at all. I keep trying it, and it always makes my hair dry and causes breakage. I am definitely going to stop that, or I won't reach BSL this year. I am close to APL now, but I will know for sure after my next touch up at the end of Feb.

I had the same problem. I now only air dry when I'm doing a twist/braid/bantu knot out and roller set for straight styles under a hooded dryer.

Looks like I'll be joining the challenge too! I was MBL, but I neglected my ends- they were very thin and made my hair look uneven. So a while ago I just cut off 4 inches! I'm just 2 inches away from BSL. The good thing is that my hair is even, fuller, and looks much better. I'm keeping the same regimen, but I just gotta trim those ends more often!

I'm sorry to hear that. But, I'm sure you'll find a way around it.

My hair loves air-drying. I'm glad that I added it to my regimen.

At 1/2 inch per month I thought it should take approx 16 weeks to get 2 inches of growth though?

Yes, that's right. I got 2 inches in 22 weeks or .09 inches per week which means I'm under 1/2 inch per month. I get about .36 inches each month.

At that rate it's about 4.32 inches per year. :nono:

I never really measured until now, it's kind of depressing. Especially after having a setback last year where I lost 2 inches.

I think I must have had some breakage I didn't notice because I'm still shoulder length. I have another 2 inches before I get to APL and that will take me about another 5 months.

I'm about to go join the APL Challenge at least I'll have made some type of goal!:lachen:

Yeah your right, My husband is the math person, lol. Some people here get 1/4 inch of growth per month. I think as long as you retain your growth you shouldn't be sad. It will come, maybe your hair likes a different season, my hair loves the fall. :)

So I went to the salon today to get my hair flat ironed (which I do every 2 months). This time I had my stylist spray Aveda Damage Control- thermal protectant on my hair before she put me under the dryer and flat ironed my hair. She usually uses NOTHING to protect my hair. She was totally cool with it, though. She noticed there was some breakage in the back and on the side, but surprisingly she didn't advise a trim or cut. She just said I need to moisturize my ends better, which I recently have started focusing on. My hair came out nice and the back is about 2 inches past SL, so not too big of a setback *SIGH OF RELIEF*

Thanks for all the advice, I think I can still make BSL this year.

:grin: Yeah, I am so happy to hear your set back wasn't too bad. I am also happy to hear that you have a possible solution.

Ladies please don't be sad, I don't want any one to be discouraged or stress out. This is suppose to be fun and I don't like to see my sisters sad.

Last edited:
I went to the hairdresser today. I needed to be pampered. I have a big, stressful board next week and I been studying all this week. Well anyways. I got a trim and realize Im so loving my hair. Im satisfied, with it. I just need to maintain and it will grow BSL. However im enjoying the journey.

I also got my hairveda package. I forget I had even ordered anything. The hydrasilica smells so good. I sprayed my bun and a few more sprays cause it just smells so dang good. I will be ordering this again too.

I will be 8 weeks tomorrow. Alot more weeks to go.

Back