BSL 2010 Challenge

I lightly flat ironed & trimmed today. I haven't had a good trim in over a year. I trimmed about an inch & don't plan to flat iron until the end of the year for my BSL length check.
I can't wait to wash my napps back in & twist my hair up for another 2 weeks!

Practice makes perfect! You have to keep trying until you find out which "strategy" works best for you. Some do box braids, some cornrow, some roll the ends, others don't. Eventually you'll figure out what works best. :yep:

:) I'm going to give it another shot in a few weeks and try with the box braids and no rollers, last time I tried corn rows with rollers. I definitely would love the alternate style. Thanks :yep:

I am totally BUMMED, today I washed my hair and was trying my coconut oil I put the bottle in hot water, and though it was going to come out creamy and after washing and I turned the bottle if poured out, BUMMER, then I used my hair to clean the mess up and splashed what felt into my hand on my hair, it was heck to dry it, and it dryed nice but darn it, it feels SOOOO heavy right now, I am hoping within a few days it dries out. How do you ladies use coconut oil?

Next week I have to clarify!

I was lazy last week... Washed w sulfate free shampoo, DC over night w matrix biolage ultra moisturizing balm. Paul Mitchell the conditioner, Redken anti snap, HE none of your frizzness, and a little biosilk all mixed together in my hand as a leave in. Sealed with coconut oil.

Today I co washed w/ HE LTR and DC for an hour w/ no heat w/ Matrix Biolage, applied my leave ins:redken anti snap, frizz creme, Paul Mitchell the conditiner and biosilk. Now I'm waiting for it to air dry. Plan on rubbing some nourish & shine through it later when its all dry and purty :-).

Im sitting under my heat cap with Matrix Conditioning Balm mixed with Aphogee Kertain 2 min. Hopefully the Matrix does what it says on the jar.

Just to add, my hair was still soft from the Suave Sleek Conditioner (Its version of Matrix) I used this week to conditioned with. Suave Seek Conditioner is a winner for me.

Well I just rinsed out the conditioner. It really soften my NG. I had slip as well. Its great to me. I read the some views, and some like it, some hate it. Its not in between. I can see this replacing at least two of my other DCs. So this is great and I like thats its in a tub. I will be going back tomorrow to Trade Secret to get one more, while they still have the 50% off sell.

Last edited:
I am totally BUMMED, today I washed my hair and was trying my coconut oil I put the bottle in hot water, and though it was going to come out creamy and after washing and I turned the bottle if poured out, BUMMER, then I used my hair to clean the mess up and splashed what felt into my hand on my hair, it was heck to dry it, and it dryed nice but darn it, it feels SOOOO heavy right now, I am hoping within a few days it dries out. How do you ladies use coconut oil?

I really like coconut oil. I realize from what I read, that it keeps protein in the hair. I use it to mix with with my conditioners. I sometimes prepoo with it (when I remember too). I keep it in my rotation, cause I know its good for the hair. Along with Olive Oil.

oh my I just remembered im in this challenge when I saw my name on the list!! I have no idea what lenght my hair is right now because I am wearing a weave and will be removing it next month Febuary 13,2010. I am very close to APL will have lenght checked when I remove my weave. I hope to be BSL by December 2010!!

Today, I prepoo'd with VO5 Mositure Milks then did an Aphogee 2 step hard protien (forgot how messy this could get!)
I am now DC'ing with a mix of Nexxus Humectress and WEN sweet almond it.

I love the Suave Matrix knockoff, it smells so good and detangles my hair so well. I like most of the Suave professional line, they're so cheap too.

Im sitting under my heat cap with Matrix Conditioning Balm mixed with Aphogee Kertain 2 min. Hopefully the Matrix does what it says on the jar.

Just to add, my hair was still soft from the Suave Sleek Conditioner (Its version of Matrix) I used this week to conditioned with. Suave Seek Conditioner is a winner for me.

Well I just rinsed out the conditioner. It really soften my NG. I had slip as well. Its great to me. I read the some views, and some like it, some hate it. Its not in between. I can see this replacing at least two of my other DCs. So this is great and I like thats its in a tub. I will be going back tomorrow to Trade Secret to get one more, while they still have the 50% off sell.

Please, please say I'm not too late!!!!
Hi!!!

Regimen:
Shampoo 1x a week
DC 1x a week using indirect heat for 30 minutes
Co-Wash 2x a week (3x during the summer)
Air drying (the only heat will be used during salon visits for relaxing 3x a year or very special occasions) - I use the scarf method
Relaxing 3x a year (1 down, 2 to go)
15 week stretches
Use a Leave-In Conditioner
Dust/Lightly Trim as needed
Moisturize and seal

Products your using:
NTM Silky Touch Leave-In
Coconut and castor oils
HE's Long-Term Relationship Leave-In
VO5 Moisture Milk in Strawberries and Cream
NTM Deep Recovery Mask
NTM Creamy Shampoo
MNT Original Shampoo
MNT Original Conditioner

Starting Hair Length: APL

Goal Month: September 2010

Pics for starting goal- See avatar (My hair's curled under)

I did a protein treatment today with ORS hair mayo. It was ok, my hair still seemed limp after I rinsed it out. My last protein treatment was with 1 egg, mayo, EVOO, and conditioner, I think that was a little better so I guess i'll need to stick with a hardcore protein. I blow dried my hair on low/cold. I forgot how good it feels to blow dry :yep:.

Two more weeks (Jan 31st) until I relax my hair. It's hard for me not to play with my new growth. I'm hoping to finally be APL :yep:

Every time I stretch my relaxer to 12 weeks, my mom always says my hair is going to fall out for waiting so long. :rolleyes: I've been doing this for the past year by the way.

When its liquid I only use a dime to nickel size and when its solid I just use a finger to scoop a little out and rub btwn my hands.

I have braided my hair up in cornrows. Hopefully, I can keep these bad boys in my hair for 4- 6 wks. I'm really glad I gave myself a 2 step protien treatment to give my hair some strength.

Just checking in. 27 weeks today. Put in my own BKT. I'm the worst flat-ironer/blow dryer, so my results are just so so. I noticed some breakage in the crown. Plus my scalp is full of flakes. I'm not sure the cause at this point. I've been a bit lazy with my nightime routine and I haven't been co-washing like I once was. I'm thinking that could be the culprit. I have a black tie affair with my DH at the end of this month, then I plan on braiding my hair for at least 6-8 weeks. My hair really needs a break from everything.

Checking in 22 weeks post...yesterday I poo'ed, DC'ed with Silicon Mix :love: :lick: and air dried in 8 braids.

Checking in, i'm 13 weeks post relaxer now (i'm transitioning) I flat ironed over the weekend and my hair has reverted a bit but is still holding up pretty well so i've just been moisturizing and sealing daily. I'll wash over the coming weekend and do some twists or cornrows.

I haven't done a length check since October.

My hair has been kind of dry since my last henna treatment so I've been deep conditioning and doing conditioner rinses for about a month now.

I have a salon appointment on Friday so I'll post pics then. I am currently with 22 weeks post.

I'm uhh..18 days post :look: kinda upset i've got new growth already, now I can't sweat. j/k. I wore my hair down today for the first time in a while since it was warm outside, and it felt refreshing.

Hello everyone I, would like to join this challenge. my starting picture is in my avatar.
The growth aides I will be using are Mega Tek/ OCT, mixed with peppermint oil. I will be co-washing at least 3x a week, and dc'ing everytime. with cornrows still in place. I will be moisturizing every night, if I have time in the morning I will do it then too. I will not be using heat, or perms for a long while. I have not had a perm since 10/31/09 ,which makes me 11 weeks post, so I am trying to go as long as I can. The way that I baggy is I place a shower cap on after I do my nightly treatment and then place a silk scarf on top. I have to be in this challenge, because I have been stuck at the same length for ever, but I also stop taking care of my hair due to major problems at home. Thank you JJaemia for allowing me to be in this challenge. Ohh and Hi Khayia.

Last edited:
still battling breakage...some of my hair is SL now in the back...and the front is still past APL...u think I should just get a hair cut?? where its longer in the front and shorter in the back and just start fresh???

straightening for the remainder of the winter. but not wearing it bone-straight. I am setting it in 4 braids overnight for a wavy look. i want to give my edges a break from the constant natural bunning. straightened bunning (or at least a ponytail) is less stress. and my hair was drying out too quickly in its natural state in this cold. my ends were thinning out. keeping it straight 2 weeks at a time. i am contemplating whether i will wear in natural for a week, or at least a few days, before i straighten again, but probably not lol

I'm also in the Braids 2010 challenge and I still don't have a regimen for how I'm gonna take care of my hair while in braids, need to work on that quick!

Back