Braidouts 24/7 for Fastest Growth?

Chichi

Hello All,

I would like to grow out my hair in the quickest time possible. I have an event coming up at the end of August, so I would like to aim for three inches of growth by then. If not all this growth, I would at least like to have my hair looking healthy (I just noticed today
shocked.gif
that though my hair is shoulder length, it is broken up all over the place and is varying lengths throughout (probably due to using that Revostyler
mad.gif
).

So should I just do braidouts, spraying S-curl for moisture, and airdrying all summer? Will this give me the best results?

Right now, I am washing 2x a week doing alternate rollersets/dryer with braidouts/airdrying. I am also taking Bargello type vitamins. Thanks for any tips and happy growing to all!

Chichi
bdance.gif

Hi Chichi
wave.gif

quote: "Braidouts 24/7 for Fastest Growth?" end quote

I'm testing this theory now actually. So far, I've been "air drying" for 6 wks. I have a lot of new growth & I'm retaining length. I can't really see my full length cuz my hair is wavy / crinkly 24/7... but we'll see when I touch up again
smile.gif

Thanks Peachtree! I will give it a try. Probably eliminating the rollersets/dryer would help. Hopefully, I will grow some healthy hair.

Chichi
bdance.gif

Thats what I'm also doing now until I get my relaxer. I think this is my 10th week or so. Its been so long I stopped counting. Good Luck Girls!!!

Oh goodie
smile.gif
!! I'm really excited to find other ladies who are also "braiding out" 24/7
cool.gif
. Hey, we gotta keep eachother motivated, ok ladies?

I am also "Braiding it out 24/7"
I am doing conditioner washes every 2 days and air drying...when my hair is wet I already see a difference length wise...I can nto wait to see how much length I get when I touch up in july!
Can we make this a braid out challenge???

wait a second. this is really confusing to me. i know ladies are doing protective styles but most of them are where the ends are covered. so you are saying its possible to grow your hair having your hair technically out?
confused.gif
confused.gif
God bless you all.

Yes...Last summer I wore my braid outs faithfully and I got a good amount of growth so I am tryingt he same method this year and I think it will be better becuase I knwo more about my hair and ratining my legth this go around. I still coat my ends only I do it with a texture controling serum or olive oil.

I tried a braidout for the second time and it turned out well. The first time I did braids all over because I can't cornrow. I had my hair plaited up like Cecily from color purple. It did not come off well. The second time my cousin cornrowed my hair and sprayed it with S-curl. It looked good but only lasted a day. It was really wet this week. I think I will try to wear them more often. I like the way it looks it really shows off my color.

AZUL- I believe my hair would still grow with braid outs because I am not combing my hair.

Yes, let's do a braidout challenge
smile.gif
. What are everyone else goals? I plan on going until mid-August at least. I may weaken and do a roller set or two.

For azul11, yes, with a braidout, your hair is left out but here are some benefits, in my eyes (please add to the list)

Your hair/ends are always moisturized (thanks to the S-curl, in my case). Your ends are coated with moisture all the time. Just think, I used to carry some oil with me to remoisturize my rollerset hair. With a braidout, I don't have to.

You are not combing your hair (which could take out some hair). I do a hand combing when I braidout.

You are not wrapping the hair. Wrapping could shred your hair and ends over time (as I just found out).

If you are stretching out your relaxer re-touch time, a braidout could fool your hair with the somewhat natural texture.

Hope this helps.

I do have a question for peachtree, tonya, and other braidout experts: I did my braidout yesterday and today it looked fine. How do I get it looking the same tomorrow? I really do not want to re-braid my hair everynight to maintain the look but some parts of my hair will look flat if I don't. Any tips? Thanks.

Chichi
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
wait a second. this is really confusing to me. i know ladies are doing protective styles but most of them are where the ends are covered. so you are saying its possible to grow your hair having your hair technically out?
confused.gif
confused.gif
God bless you all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Azul, I'm gonna answer your question 2 ways.

Yes, for me anyway, I was able to grow my hair with my ends exposed 24/7. It grew to about 4" longer than it is now. It wasn't intentionally though, cause I ended up cutting it back up to shoulder length anyway. * This was before finding the hair board, no regime, no support, no vits. I simply hated to comb & wash it, so in essence it grew because I didn't manipulate it too much. I will go further to say that it's growing * more quickly * now due to protective styling with ends covered *

Now regarding our challenge...
Luv, when I wear braid outs, I wear the hair down for the 1st couple of days (u know, enjoying my style
smile.gif
), then I wear it in a "braid out bun", basically a wavy bun for the last several days. This gives me the best of both worlds... a cute style & a protective style
smile.gif

I agree with everyone else. Braidouts last year summer helped my hair thicken up considerably, that's a difference I definitely see when I return to a rollarset and see the overall fullness. I do believe its the break from daily combing, wrapping etc. With braidouts using hands is usually enough, I just comb once a week in the shower with a wide tooth comb.

The break with switching to braid outs for a while works.

I know that this is a "braid out challenge", and the majority of the time I will have braid / twist outs, however, I like to change up a bit from time to time. So here's my self challenge...

GOAL:
TO "AIR DRY" MY HAIR FROM THE DAY OF MY LAST TOUCH UP (04-19-03) UNTIL SEPT 1, 2003. ABSOLUTELY NO "HEAT" DRYING
nono.gif

OBJECTIVES:

1) BRAID & TWIST STYLES
Wear cornrows, single braids, single ponytail braid, braid outs, braid out buns, braid out french rolls, single twists, single ponytail twist, single flat twists, single 2 strand twists, 2 strand flat twists, twist outs, twist out buns, twist out french rolls, add a few flat twisties w/twist outs & any other braid / twist style I create
smile.gif
. The possibilities are endless, & I can get really creative too
smile.gif

2) FLEXI-ROD STYLES
I haven't tried this yet, but "air drying" on flexi rods sounds fun
smile.gif
. I would rather "air dry" on flexirods opposed to magnetic rollers cuz my hair should dry much sooner. I have to "spiral" the hair on the rod instead of "over lapping" on a roller.

3) BANTU KNOTS
I haven't tried this yet, but plan to
smile.gif

4) BUNS
I haven't tried this yet, but this will be my "quick style". Just wash (etc), put in bun & go
cool.gif

Ooops
look.gif
I forgot to ask

When doing braidouts all the time, how should we wash our hair? Right now I do a regular shampoo on Sunday and a no poo on Wednesday (2x a week).

Should I cut back on the shampoos and do more conditioning rinses?

Also, BRH how long did you do braidouts before you noticed a change while rollersetting? This is what I am hoping for.

Thanks.

Chichi
bdance.gif

This is my favorite low maintenance, no heat style. I'm in for the challenge.

Goal: to stop using heat until Sept. 1 (that is after my June 6 silky press
grin.gif
)

Regimen: I'll probably continue with my once a week shampoo wash and deep conditioner and add a conditioner only wash sometime in the middle of the week. I think this coupled with my vitamins might add up to a good amount of length.

Styles: Since my hair is natural 4a and needs heat to straighten it, I guess I wont have straight hair at all this summer. That's cool, it will still leave me with twist outs, braid outs, and my curly bun or afro puff.

Hey, this sounds like a lot of fun ladies....

[ QUOTE ]
When doing braidouts all the time, how should we wash our hair? Right now I do a regular shampoo on Sunday and a no poo on Wednesday (2x a week).

Should I cut back on the shampoos and do more conditioning rinses?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wash wkly (sometimes 2x a wk) with Creme of Nature or Motions Moisture Plus (or CPR). I'm getting wonderful results without the conditioning rinses. Although I would like to start them again... my problem is that I haven't found a good conditoner yet. I have several on my "to try" list though
smile.gif

I'm in
grin.gif

I wore a braid-out today and I'm really surprised that the hair has bounce!!! I thought it would just look like big, stiff, curly hair and boy was I wrong.

I took the end of my rattail comb and "picked" away the parts in my hair. It also helped to keep me from combing my hair and to seperate the strands without disturbing the waves.

I'm glad you started this...I may wait out my touch-up to four months instead of three.

Can anyone direct me to a thread that describes how to do a braid out?

or

Describe the process for me?

Thanks in advance!
Jen

Well im not going to be doing any braidouts(i'd rather just go and get some professionally done) So im doing bantu knots now. I'm still tryin to put it in a way that its not sticking up everywhere and its in anice orderly fashion. Will this also be helpful in growth? When i first did this i did get growth but i cant tell cause it was the same time i started on vitamins.

Thanks so much Peachtree!!! Your hair is soooo pretty and healthy looking!!! That twistout looks fabulous!!! Thanks for showing me that thread; I don't know if my hair is long enough to do them yet, but I plan on experimenting this weekend. There's only one way to find out right?

Thanks again, Peachtree!
smile.gif

Jen, how long is your hair? My mom's hair was closely shaven in the back & about ear length on top when I started giving her braid outs. They turned out really cute... it looked like she "crimped" her hair with a crimping iron, but a lot more moisturized. My point? U don't need a lot of length for this style
nono.gif
.... U just need a good technique to prepare it
smile.gif

Hmmm, thanks Peachtree. My hair was shaved in the back and layered in January. It's a few different lengths. I would say it's about 2 inches now in the back and very sides and right above my ears. They layers get longer as they go up. 3-4-5 inches.....It's about 6 inches long at the top. When I comb it down on the sides, it comes to about my earlobes. It's past my eyes in the front.

What do you think? How did you vary your technique with your moms shorter hair? You're giving me hope that I can actually do this....
smile.gif
Tell me more!

[ QUOTE ]
confused.gif
confused.gif
God bless you all.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
good question. i dont see how you can get growth by havng hair in ths particular style that doesnt even tuck the ends in. maybe it is thecarefreeness of it all????
i did braidouts for more than 12 weeks straight, and got a LOT of tangles when i had to retouch!
mad.gif
mad.gif

a tip, just make sure you untangle thorouhly on a reular basis with a comb!

Question for those of you with relaxed hair. I am finding that my hair feels too straight to do a braid out. I have actually been doing twist outs, but my hair - especially in the front - is too straight and it never gets enough bend. My hair is curlier in the back so that area always looks fine. In fact, I can just use the s-curl lotion in the back and get curl. It is the front and top of my head that is the contstant problem. Anyone else have this problem? What do you do to handle it if so?

[ QUOTE ]
Question for those of you with relaxed hair. I am finding that my hair feels too straight to do a braid out. I have actually been doing twist outs, but my hair - especially in the front - is too straight and it never gets enough bend. My hair is curlier in the back so that area always looks fine. In fact, I can just use the s-curl lotion in the back and get curl. It is the front and top of my head that is the contstant problem. Anyone else have this problem? What do you do to handle it if so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Peacelove, I have 3 suggestions for u
smile.gif

1) Try using a setting lotion or non-alcoholic gel....Smooth n' Shine makes a good gellation.
smile.gif
............ or (and) .......

2) Give your twists a lil more tension... NOT TIGHT but firm twists...... or (and) .......

3) U may have to make the section of hair a lil larger... Let me put it this way... the "thinner" the area of hair that your are twisting, the "thinner" the twist will become, thus giving a "less defined" twist.

I have been thinking of trying a braidout until my next relaxer because I can not keep the blowdryer and the flat iorns out of my head. so somethings got to give. I looked at peachtree's hair and it is nice I love it. I'm trying to get health looking hair but its taking too long. it's growing but still breaking at the same time. i'll keep working with it. and keep reading on and learning from the forum

Back