Braidouts 24/7 for Fastest Growth?

Well I've been wearing my braid out consistently for a few weeks now and my hair is getting longer, so I must be doing something right with keeping my ends protected. My hair is bushier too with the new growth but the braid out blends very well with the curly new growth.
smile.gif

i have a sneaking suspicion braidouts 24/7 might work better for permies? id love to find a balance between braidouts and frequent CO washes.

I bet you can, Ipanema. Please let us know of your results after a week. The longest I've gone (because I was traveling and didn't have time to wash) was 5 days and my braidout looked prettier than ever.

I rocked a braidout all week. This is the longest I've worn this style and it looked different each day...beautiful, but different. I combed very little.

That's great Lunalight! I find mine looks slightly different each day. I'm not sure why though but I love how it looks!

[ QUOTE ]
Scasey said:
Bumping

[/ QUOTE ]

off topic but, is that keshawn johnson you have as your avator? i'm from tampa so i know a little bit about him..

I wore my first braidout on Friday. Most of my co-workers loved it. I don't think I have it down to science yet but I'll definitely try it again.

[ QUOTE ]
hotshot said:
i have a sneaking suspicion braidouts 24/7 might work better for permies? id love to find a balance between braidouts and frequent CO washes.

[/ QUOTE ]

hotshot, actually the braidouts are really working for me and I am transitioning with tons of wicked new growth.
smile.gif
I think that the key to to do them wet and to find a product that flattens your new growth/curls.

What worked for me was using distilled water with Hollywood carrot cream and some ultra sheen grease. Doing this made my braidout last for three days (no rebraiding
naughty.gif
). If I didn't wash my hair, it would have probably lasted for five days...

I have also tried Cornrow Magic by Spartan brands and that works just as well
smile.gif

Chichi
bdance.gif

Braidouts really work well for me, too. I braid my hair at night and then go three days rebrading each night. Still, I lose minimal amounts of hair. So, then when I do wash/condition, I am not worried about the shedded hair b/c I think overall, I am losing a lot less than if I were manipulating it even more every day. Once I do my hair in the morning, I don't touch it again till that night. If I come home from work and want to take a nap, I'll put my scarf on to preserve my style. Braidouts have been working extremely well for me all througout my transition.

Thanks for bumping Isis! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I first tried braidouts back when I joined, they didnt work for me. Now that I'm transitioning and getting the hang of them, I'm starting to love them!

Count me in this challenge for doing Braidouts more often! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Thanks for bumping Isis! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I first tried braidouts back when I joined, they didnt work for me. Now that I'm transitioning and getting the hang of them, I'm starting to love them!

Count me in this challenge for doing Braidouts more often! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Poohbear, I am also transitioning and braidouts are making it so much easier. /images/graemlins/clap.gif

I love this style! /images/graemlins/love.gif

Braidouts have always worked for me. I did a lot of them for the past three months, before my last retouch and got a good deal of growth./images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chichi /images/graemlins/bdance.gif

Hey ChiChi... when r u going 2 put more pics of your hair in your album? i would like 2 c a braidout pic! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Hey ChiChi... when r u going 2 put more pics of your hair in your album? i would like 2 c a braidout pic! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Pooh, I don't have any headshot pics on the Internet yet... who knows, that may change.

In the meantime, here are my tips for a "no-fail" braid out:

- start braiding on towel-dried, hair (don't let hair dry a little; I find that braidouts come out better with very wet hair)

- apply leave-in, a little setting lotion and some kind of light grease (yep, I find that grease makes the braidout last longer)

- make six braids; part hair in middle, two braids from top of head to ears (think of a ram's horns), the other four should go straight back

- apply light oil to ends and roll with small rollers (I also use end papers)

- to maintain your braid out use small rollers on the ends then cover with a snug satin bonnet (hair should not be able to *move* under bonnet)

HTH

Chichi/images/graemlins/bdance.gif

Thanks Chichi! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've tried braidouts on wet hair months ago and it didn't work for me... that's because I didn't have of the tips or products that I have now.

Now I'm going to try the braid-out on wet hair the next time I wash my hair along with the tips Peachtree gave in an old forum about her braid-outs!

I LOVE YOU LHCF LADIES! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Okay I was debating get braids, but I think I am going to rock braid-outs for the next 3 months instead. I will be using surge and ModelChicks Honey Glaze to carry me through ;)

Sheesh I'm so fickle... I was going to braid my hair for the next month. I went and bought the hair yesterday and everything.... Then last night I did a braidout and it was SO gorgeous today, big poufy and fluffy and pretty. Now I see this thread and I'm thinking I might be doing braidouts for the next month instead of the braids I was about to do. Yeah it's more work but it's also so pretty and all mine! I even got some compliments.

*sigh* Maybe I'll braid it in March.

I would totally recommend this - I wore a protective braid style for a while and saw extreme results.

Last edited:
I've been doing braidouts for about 5 years. If you check out my progess pics you can see my growth from braidouts. I know you're thinking that I should have more growth than this from braidouts but I didn't know how to retain my growth until I came to this board.
I wash my hair every 3 days and do braidouts. In the morning I untwist it and with oily hands (intentional) and then pin it up protecting my ends.

anyone still doing this challenge? for those who were on the challenge, did y'all have faster growth???

Back