black women and slow hair growth....

So I know black people can grow long hair, but does our hair gorw more slowly?
I'm talking for the average, not mixed black woman...

It depends on who you ask.

Some things I read say the average growth rate is 1cm per month (.39in) no matter what.

I read somewhere else that said the average growth rate is 1.2 cm per month (.47 in/month).

Then I read somewhere else that said those of African descent grow a little less than .9cm per month (.35in/month) while whites and asians growth rate is 1.2cm and 1.3cm per month respectively (.47in/month and .51in/month).

The average of all those rates is .43in/month. So it depends on who you believe. I've just decided to worry about retention.

So I know black people can grow long hair, but does our hair gorw more slowly?
I'm talking for the average, not mixed black woman...

I don't buy "scientific" studies that show black people's hair grows slower than average. There are so many other factors that can go into this--like nutrition for example. Unfortunately black people on average are poorer and have relatively poorer diets. We all know nutrition (or a lack thereof) influences hair growth rates. Until I see a study controlling for all these variables, I'm not buying it:nono:.

Now if we are talking retention, as opposed to growth rate, I would agree that black people on average have more problems with retention.

I don't consider it as a taboo. However, I know that I do not have slow growing hair, nor do I have trouble retaining length. Hence, I don't appreciate it when people make broad generalizations and try to tell me what my hair can and cannot do based on their own experiences or that of some other black woman that they know.

I haven't read the whole thread but the statement "black women's hair grows slowly" isn't taboo to me. Hair scientists have written this over and over again, and since I am no expert in trichology, I cannot argue with that; just like I have accepted that my strands are much weaker than those of my Asian peers. What I do have a problem with and refuse to even entertain is the assumption that our hair cannot grow to great lengths determined by the length of our Anagen phase just like all other races. How long it takes to get there is neither here nor there, as far as I'm concerned. (Which is why I keep telling people to stop worrying about setting deadlines but just do right by their hair and they will reap the fruits of their labor.) Rather than let talk of my "misfortunes" get me down, I choose to live by the Winner's Creed and encourage you all to do the same:

Wise logic... it doesn't matter the rate, from the moment there's growth, there will be length if we can retain what we grow. There are studies that showed that black people have a lower growth rate than other races, but it really doesn't matter to me, I chose to focus on the word "growth" and forget about the word "rate". Be patient and wise with your hair and you'll see results no matter what :grin:.

I don't think it's taboo amongst black women. At least I don't think it should be.

But I do think that it's taboo coming from white women. I really don't think their intentions are good when they make comments like that about our hair.

I agree with this statement, but of course, will say it is not all but a lot. Every Incident I have had with or seen with white people in general, has not been of good intentions. If they have to call you out or be very loud in front of their friends, which I have mainly seen/have happen, it is not a good intended question.

Now I have also had black people ask, but it was more on a personal level, just us two talking, and with 'wow' type reaction. And I have taken it as a compliment. My hair is not long, but they will ask if it is my hair because of how nice they think it looks. I am very happy though, that I have not gotten the 'girl you know that's a weave comment.' LOL. My hair is too short for that.

Why does it matter what a white person thinks of my hair? They aren't making this stuff up, it's what they observe.

I'm bothered by black women who think our hair can't grow because dispelling those myths will help me to encourage a sister who wants long hair but feels like she can't grow it.

So if a WW thinks our hair can't grow, and I tell her otherwise, well then what happens next? She can sleep better at night knowing this fact? Quite honestly, the next time she leaves the house she'll see a majority of black women and children she comes across with that same short stereotypical black hair.

Why does it matter what a white person thinks of my hair? They aren't making this stuff up, it's what they observe.

I'm bothered by black women who think our hair can't grow because dispelling those myths will help me to encourage a sister who wants long hair but feels like she can't grow it.

So if a WW thinks our hair can't grow, and I tell her otherwise, well then what happens next? She can sleep better at night knowing this fact? Quite honestly, the next time she leaves the house she'll see a majority of black women and children she comes across with that same short stereotypical black hair.

This is true, I think the issue though, that some people have is how they try and call you out and embarrass you in front of their peers. Which has happened to me, and it honestly doesn't feel good. Like they know you will say yes it is a weave, so they all can laugh. I also believe this depends on where you live. I tend to be more sympathetic to the sisters, because as you said she will also see the same short stereotypical black hair, but in her own family.

I love it when white women ask me if it's all my hair and i can say "yes, yes it is". :grin:

Totally agree. At my gym, work place, school, etc., 9/10 whites have long hair vs 3/10 blacks with long hair. It's the reality. The good thing is that things are changing; hopefully when we start having 9/10 blacks with long hair that grows from their scalp then those misconceptions will go away.

I really don't think it's a taboo topic at all. I think people just go by what they observe, and out there, the majority of black women don't have long hair, so the obvious conclusion for them is that black people normally can't grow long hair. It's normal for people to draw on correlations like this.

I wouldn't be offended at people asking if I'm wearing extensions either. Again they observe the majority of black women with short hair, and the majority of black women around them wearing extensions - so of course when they see someone who doesn't fit that mold, they're gonna ask!! No big deal. As HoneyA said, it just isn't that serious.

This is true, I think the issue though, that some people have is how they try and call you out and embarrass you in front of their peers. Which has happened to me, and it honestly doesn't feel good. Like they know you will say yes it is a weave, so they all can laugh. I also believe this depends on where you live. I tend to be more sympathetic to the sisters, because as you said she will also see the same short stereotypical black hair, but in her own family.

Okay, I see where you're going. In that case I wouldn't even bother to entertain such ignorance. It's like asking if someone's boobs are real in a room full of people. How lame. :nono:

Black Hair can definitely grow we all know that is a fact. But I think that it is part of some of the 'miseducation' of black people. I thank God for a forum like this one everyday, because we are becoming better educated about Our Hair. It's like anything else, Savings, Home Ownership, Marriage, Sexual Identity, Money etc..we have had to deal with Sterotypic dipictions of black life by both "those other people" as well as within our very own Community.

In specific, if you look at the Commericals about healthy Haircare, very rarely do you see Black Women endorsing those Products. And if you see enough of that, and are mis-educated (I won't use "un-educated") you start believing that Crap. We have been left behind and overlooked in so many areas "as a people" in general like we don't exist.

And then "they" create Hair Care products in a Multi-Gazillion Dollar Industry filled with ingredients that are detrimental to our SPECIFIC overall haircare. And after they basically ruin it, create "fake hair" another zillion dollar industry. I could go on and on but I won't.

I will say however, that each of us are here for a "Purpose" to take the "Mystery" out of Healthy Hair and Healthy Hair Care for our daughters, our sisters, our mothers, our nieces and our Friends. Ladies, Let's Walk in Our Purpose together and all achieve our Hair Goals. I'm about getting my hair healthy and learning as much as I can taking control of my haircare and helping someone else. Thank you.

I think this can be at times a disheartening topic because of the vast amount of women who don't take care of their hair like the women on this board, and other hairboards. I think that best way to represent is to get my hair to long lengths that the truth is undeniable. I am tired of being shot down for telling people that black women can grow their hair long too(everytime, the room gets extremely quiet).

I agree with this. Sadly though, even when you grow your hair long and prove them wrong they tell you are an anomaly and dismiss you anyway.:ohwell:

To me, it is not a taboo topic. It just seems a little ridiculous to be talking about on a hair forum. To me, the whole idea is ridiculous to begin with. Everyone on the planet can grow hair but Black women? Even people who are Black/have Black ancestry and have 4abcdefghijklmnopq... hair but are not from certain countries or are mixed can grow hair but if you're full Black and from certain countries, you can't? How does this make sense?

On top of that, it buys into the idea that because people share a race all their genetic makeup is the same, blah blah blah. It's just one of those things that a lot of people buy into, but once you start digging deeper, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I guess being on a hair forum that is about proper hair knowledge, people get tired of hearing it, lol. We're in our own little bubble. :)

Not taboo at all. I really think I'm in the minority on this board about perceptions of black hair. I NEVER grew up thinking that Nubian/Black/African/ hair couldn't grow.

I would really like to know when this thinking came about. I'm sure someone will set me straight.

I grew up with pictures and real life examples of huge afros, long mid-back hair and long natural braids. Does no one remember that big puffy hair from the 60's, 70's and 80's? That was a lot of hair, very big hair.

Even today I see examples of long beautiful hair everyday. Is this slow growth/ no growth a regional thing? Is it economics? I don't get it. I see long beautiful nappy hair all the time and I saw it as a child.

The only hair that seems to not grow is that nasty fried hair that I see some women rocking. Our hair was much healthier, thicker, and longer pre-relaxer days. I know there has to be a point where the relaxers came and this slow/no growth idea kicked in.

Let a sista know!

Not taboo at all. I really think I'm in the minority on this board about perceptions of black hair. I NEVER grew up thinking that Nubian/Black/African/ hair couldn't grow.

I would really like to know when this thinking came about. I'm sure someone will set me straight.

I grew up with pictures and real life examples of huge afros, long mid-back hair and long natural braids. Does no one remember that big puffy hair from the 60's, 70's and 80's? That was a lot of hair, very big hair.

Even today I see examples of long beautiful hair everyday. Is this slow growth/ no growth a regional thing? Is it economics? I don't get it. I see long beautiful nappy hair all the time and I saw it as a child.

The only hair that seems to not grow is that nasty fried hair that I see some women rocking. Our hair was much healthier, thicker, and longer pre-relaxer days. I know there has to be a point where the relaxers came and this slow/no growth idea kicked in.

Let a sista know!

I had long hair when I was a child, as did my sister and a cousin. I've always had longer hair. The women in my family have shorter hair because of style choices for the most part. When I was in seventh grade, my hair was quite long, and my mom made/convinced me to get it cut one summer. I had tried to get back to that length (I think that I might have been between shoulder and APL, and I had grown that out from a pixie cut in two years.

I had some breakage setbacks and people that thought that I needed to get a haircut just about EVERY time I got a relaxer.

I didn't ever hear that black hair can't grow until I came to college and had a triflin friend that I mentioned earlier.

I always knew that my hair was just a little more fragile than caucasian hair and needed to be handled with care.

I agree with MSA.
It's not about growing the hair (which will happen, anyone who ever shaved or waxed knows this) it's about RETAINING the LENGTHS that we gain. Now THAT'S the hard part.

I don't think it's a taboo topic, because when I first found this site and even before I thought in the back of my head that there was a possibility that my har was forever dommed to being shoulder length. I didn't know any better and when my hair went passed shoulder to BSL and now longer I was shocked becuase my hair was never that length. Now being educated about my hair type and knowing that there is no difference in hair growth from one race to another. I know that there are some that haven't been educated and believe in myths that I at one point believed myself. So to me it's all about education and proof that black hair grows just like anyone else's.

Back