BKT on 4B kinks (pics inside)

berryblack

So, I love a good bandwagon and this BKT was too good to pass. I got mine from ebay and it is called Brazilian Keratin Straight. For $50 it comes with conditioner, poo and 8 oz formaldehyde free keratin.

First, I applied some color by way of henna to open up my cuticle and then used a clarifying poo to wash it out. I was only supposed to towel dry my hair according to my instructions but I blow dried it because I had to go somewhere and I couldn't let my hair dry naturally or it would be a tangled mess. By the time I got home, I had no interest in doing my hair.
Luckily, my twins took a rare nap the next day so I raced in my bathroom to apply it.
hair005-1.jpg

I just used my hands to smooth it down my hair and then I combed it through. I put on a plastic cap for a couple of minutes until I heard one of my sons wake up---knowing my time was limited, I did a quick blow dry. At this point, my hair was really poofy. True, my blow drying skills suck...:ohwell:
hair007.jpg

Next, I started to flat iron with my Tool Science nano-ceramic from Sally's on 450 degrees. I did about 5-6 passes. It was looking pretty nice. Plus, my hubby took the kids somewhere so I could concentrate.
hair009-1.jpg

Hours had passed and I was still working on my napps and I was only half done. It was starting to get on my nerves:nono:. I noticed I was taking bigger chunks of my hair while I was flat ironing.
hair013-2.jpg

Finally, I was done---it was definitely soft and one of my best flat irons but it lacked the silky, sleek bling that the other ladies got. This maybe becuz a) my hair is super-kinky and thick, b) it was formaldehyde free and I needed a stronger solution, c) wack technique, etc...
hair022.jpg

hair018.jpg

hair037-1.jpg

My strange kids made a mustache of my fallen hair (I've been trying the no comb method so I lost a bit of it with all the blow drying and combing).
hair040.jpg

hair041.jpg

I had a goal to make it to my brastrap by my birthday (next week) but I fell short. Oh well, usually I get a spurt in the summer...
hair052.jpg

All in all, it was a long, hot and fumey process. My eyes were red after it was over. I'm hoping this treatment will help my knots and tangles. Sheba1 stated that 4 naturals will see blingy results after multiple applications. We shall see...

Woo lawd chile you have some hair on you. Your shrinkage is amazing and your hair is just gorgeous.

You and mscocoface should be buddies.

I tried it on myself and it took me forever. Its alot of work and I dont have as much hair as you! Hats off to you. You did a good job!

Thank you, ladies! One day I'll learn to multi-quote and respond individually...

Yes, my shrinkage is ridiculous. It is like somebody put a curse on me to have the longest hair of my life but never being able to see it unless I straighten which takes too long, so I rarely do it.

Look at all that beautiful hair! How did the results compare to your ordinary straightening methods?

Look at all that beautiful hair! How did the results compare to your ordinary straightening methods?

My hair came out much softer and straighter at the roots. It is also very humid here and my hair hasn't reverted back to a big afro puff.

Thank you, ladies! One day I'll learn to multi-quote and respond individually...

You see the button to the right of the quote button? When you want to multiquote, click that button for each post you want to quote. Then when you're done, push the post reply button (as you normally would) and all the quotes will be there.

Oh, lawd, PinkSkates gave me a compliment:worship2:
I'm not worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did a great job with all of that HAIR! And you're a woman after my own heart! I love the DIY spirit!:yep:
I did my own BKT too...so I know what you went through.
And you're little bunny it so precious!

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to post pictures and a review. I have 4B hair, too, and I was wondering how BKT would work out for our hair type.

Your hair is lovely and your children are adorable. :yep: Thanks again. :)

Yeah, the technique was probably the problem. Since you have so much going on, you should probably go to a salon to get it done.

Your hair is :gorgeous: report back after your first wash, at the very least your hair should be easier to detangle:yep:

Wow! I love your hair.

It takes a lot to do it on relaxed hair and your hair is so lush and thick so it takes way more effort to complete the task.

It probably would have come out more smooth had it been done by someone who can handle your hair but still since I know that pain of diy and doing it on others I commend you for your effort.

Congrats your hair looks great!

Your hair is so pretty!!:grin::grin:

This gives me ideas for my daughter who I am currently transitioning...

Is the BKT safe??? How long has it been on the market??? The reason that I ask is because of the face mask you are wearing during the application process...:look:...I would hate for something to mess up all that pretty, thick hair!!!!:yep:

Berry Black, don't feel badly, you did very well. Your hair looks great! So much volume, so much thickness! I bet you'll be even happier after application two. Your kids are gorgeous, too!

Thanks for the review. I'm gonna buy some this week!

Your hair is FREAKING FANTASTIC!!! I love love love surprise hair!!! Surprise hair is what I call mega shrinkage hair. It's like look at me I'm NL.... SURPRISE!!! I'm BSL b1tches!!!!

I love your first pic and your kid's pics the best hahahhaha.

I'm glad you tried it and oh my god i just love your hair. How long will this last?

I don't care that you're not at BSL. Your hair is to die for! Gorgeous mane! Isn't shrinkage like a bag of magic tricks?

Back