BKT alternative?

I'm not scared of it damaging my hair. I'm more so concerned about the long term health implications. The fact that info is doc scarce and no one can really seem to clearly explain what carbocysteine is (we know it's an amino acid compound) and how it performs when added bonded with oxoacetamide/glyoxyloyl, what happens to it in high heat, the % in the formula and how closely related it is to formaldehyde. It is definitely a cousin of it. The fact that these companies have scientist make up these formulas, they know exactly what the risks are and they are aware that the public is leery and yet, on their websites and online, you cannot find a definitive and straight up answer besides, "it's safe". *sigh . .. .

*whispers*

I still want to do it though.
:look:

Just ventured back to the Assuage site - $125 for the whole kit vs $167 for the DE (thanks @Dove56 for contacting Payne :yep:)

Decisions, decisions ...

Has anyone ever brought anything from this seller because I called the number and it says beauty supply and travel club and another business

The web site don't look like a major business
I just don't want to lose money

Has anyone tried DE and someone confirm a flat iron does not need to be used

I know that @Uniqzoe had the DE elongation applied by a professional in a hair show and loved it ...

There's also a link to a youtube video further upthread and I do remember seeing the girl in the YT (who I don't think really needed the treatment :look: ) having it done and they flat ironed her twice IIRC ...

On the Assuage pdf someone linked to earlier in this thread it looks like only one pass of the flatiron is needed ...

Has anyone ever brought anything from this seller because I called the number and it says beauty supply and travel club and another business

The web site don't look like a major business
I just don't want to lose money

Which one are you talking about? Payne (DE) or the Maurice Distributions (Naked Assuage) site?

I've spoken to the guy at Maurice Distributions. Sounded like an older black gentleman. His wife is a stylist. He gave me lots of info thinking I was a licensed professional (I never said I was, just said I had some questions on the Assuage line.) It looks like it can be ordered by anyone though and I may just go for it. :look:

Peppermynt said:
Which one are you talking about? Payne (DE) or the Maurice Distributions (Naked Assuage) site?

I've spoken to the guy at Maurice Distributions. Sounded like an older black gentleman. His wife is a stylist. He gave me lots of info thinking I was a licensed professional (I never said I was, just said I had some questions on the Assuage line.) It looks like it can be ordered by anyone though and I may just go for it. :look:

Payne ....?

Peppermynt said:
*whispers*

I still want to do it though. :look:

Just ventured back to the Assuage site - $125 for the whole kit vs $167 for the DE (thanks @Dove56 for contacting Payne :yep:)

Decisions, decisions ...

No problem. :)

Well I did it. :look:

Ordered from Maurice - Naked Assuage by Essations.

No tax, and no shipping charge. Just got a confirmation email from them too. :yep:

I did the math on the whole kit ($125) vs everything included by checking prices elsewhere:

Detox Clarifying 8oz: other website price of $11
Bio-PhUSE refresh 8oz: other website price of $12.50
Silkening Glaze 4oz: other website price of $20.50 :spinning:
Honey & Almond Conditioner 8oz: other website price of $14
Leave In Conditioner 8oz: other website price of $12

For a total of $70

And I get the "licensed prof only" Assuage Thermal Complex (8oz) and Keratin Plus Reconstructive Masque (8oz) - so it's $55 additional for these two items based on the kit price. :yep:

Hopefully it will get sent despite my non-having-a-license-self. :grin: :drunk:

If not I'll paypal dispute it and KIM. :spinning:

Plan to do a "kitchen" area trial run when it arrives - just the lower 1 inch or so at the nape. Will post results whenever I do. :yep:

I emailed Payne and called. I am not gettiing a response

I think they are closed now. He returned my call at 4:58pm (central time) and left a voice mail and when I tried to call back a few minutes later they were gone. Also, when I called at 11:30am they answered right away.

Anyhoo, when I called him back I left a message for Tony to let him know several ladies on a hair forum are interested in the Elongation Mousse (so, in other words have your crap stocked and ready to order lol). :yep:

Uniqzoe said:
Kurlee No fumes, there was a slight smell but only in areas where there was there was a little too much product. It wasn't strong or over powering at all. Yes this system also required that the blow dry and flat iron process be repeated after washing the system out of the hair.

yodie, No there wasn't a major difference in the shrinkage but the difference is mostly noticeable when my hair is wet, my curls are more defined when wet now as compared to before. For example I have never been able to pull off a decent wash n go in the past because of lrg sections of my hair that have almost no definition. However it looks as though I may actually be able to do that with this system, but I will have to try it first to be 100% sure

One other thing that I think is worth mentioning is that DE states that the system will last on average for 12 weeks. However after asking more questions I learned that it can last that long provided that 1) you are only washing your hair every 2 weeks 2) only washing with sulfate free shampoo (of course they recommend that you use theirs).

For me that means that I will have to alter my routine as well as change up my normal styling so that I'm not using as products that are going to require me to clarify as much as I do now. HTH, but I'm kind of glad that they system can be removed for the hair by simply washing the hair several times.

If you want to wear it curly can you just blow dry and call it a day

According to my stylist who is a DE educator you must use the flat iron to get the full benefits of this product. The heat "seals" and "bonds" the product to the hair shaft.

When my hair was blow dried with the product on it, it got much straighter than a normal blow dry but not nearly as straight as it did when my hair was flat ironed. I don't think you would get the maximum benefit of the product by only using a blow dryer.

Uniqzoe said:
According to my stylist who is a DE educator you must use the flat iron to get the full benefits of this product. The heat "seals" and "bonds" the product to the hair shaft.

When my hair was blow dried with the product on it, it got much straighter than a normal blow dry but not nearly as straight as it did when my hair was flat ironed. I don't think you would get the maximum benefit of the product by only using a blow dryer.

Can you use a ceramic hot comb
I have a sedu flat iron but I don't know how to use that thing

Also DE can be used at 365*F, with only 2 passes.

Also A DE survivor will be re-ordering with this Payne person ( missed my chance when my sister ordered hers). Currently loving my 5min detangling sessions. There quite addictive.

http://www.genbook.com/bookings/slot/reservation/30103033?&category=297240612

What
This site talks about so much variety
She must be a LHCF member
Why is DE so cheap compared to others

I think because it doesn't take as long. You don't have to have super teeny tiny sections of hair and go over each one 50-11 times lol. When I did the formeldahyde ones I would spend 3-4 hours (usually closer to 4) doing my hair. :nono: Plus DE is cheapter than the others to purchase.

Sometimes the traditional treatments include a wash and style in the price after the specified waiting period...usually 48-72 hours after the treatment was applied.

I'm 8 months post. I had the DE transitioning mousse done back in March. In my experience, it takes much longer than most treatments. The stylist was a DE educator and supposedly one of only three people doing the treatment in the DMV at the time. I hate the whole salon thing, and this time was no different. I don't know how the treatment is supposed to be done or if the directions are stated on the bottle but:

1) The stylist washed my hair with the special DE STS shampoo (This is great stuff and reminds me of Keracare Hydrating shampoo. I wondered how in the world the mousse could be combed through my new growth after a deep cleansing shampoo, but this at least made it bearable; and I'm super duper duper tenderheaded. Still was rough though. The shampoo is "slippy" under water. I got a free bottle to use after the treatment).

2) Applied to small squirts of mousse to damp hair in small sections, starting at the nape and going forward. (After I sat and waited with a wet-to-dry head for 4 HOURS!!!!:angry2:)

3) Let the treatment set for 15 minutes after combing through.

4) Blow-dried in sections, then flat-iron in sections. She did use a lower heat setting, but I'm not sure what it was. She used the DE phusion iron....1/2". She was very secretive about everything, but I recognized the iron from the website. My hair is extremely fine and burns and smokes with lower heat settings, and there wasn't much smoke or steam; so I assume the temperature was not much higher than 350.

5) Then after being there for at least six hours, she washed all that out and started over, much to my disappointment.:sad: So another wash, apply DE DC, under the steamer for 20 minutes, rinse, blow dry, flat iron, trim, curl with the flat iron.

Yeah, I had to bunch those steps up cause I get angry all over again just thinking about it. I got there at 1:30 p.m. left at 9:45 p.m. And hairstylists wonder why there is so much salon-bashing going on.

I asked my regular stylist who trims my hair (only 3 times a year thank goodness, even though I really do like her and she listens) to please take the class so she could do my next treatment. She finally recently took the class, but she says it's just way too long of a process and too many steps for her, much longer than the La Brasiliana keratin treatment that she prefers to do.

To make a long story short (I gotta get back to work and sneaking in my homework :sekret: for class tonight), initially, I did not like the treatment. I did not notice a difference in my hair when I washed one week later. I was furious because I paid $350, which is wayyyyy over what my regular stylist is charging. As time went on, however, I did notice that my extreme transitioning breakage dwindled down to almost nothing. My curl pattern looked a little bit looser but not significantly looser. Detangling will forever be a problem for me without a super detangler because my hair is super fine, but it may have helped a little. The breakage was my main concern and why I wanted the treatment. I wanted to be able to stretch until I decided to BC.

Well I cut my own almost MBL hair to collarbone to start my transition last October. When I got the DE in March, it was back to APL but a choppy mess from the breakage. Do you know that !@#$%^ hacked my hair off to ear length after I told her 50/11 times do not cut my hair off cause I NEED TO BUN OR WEAR A PONYTAIL?????? I don't use heat, so I didn't know what I would do and she refused to tell me how to take care of it because I shouldn't be doing my own hair anyway! Sorry y'all I got off track...

So anyway, now that the treatment has completely worn off (which I noticed mostly between weeks 6 and 8), I can definitely see the difference. At exactly 12 weeks since the treatment, the breakage is back with a vengeance. I now see how well my hair flat ironed hair resisted frizz and humidity when the treatment was in. My hair is now all natural in the lower back (had another trim last week) and almost 50/50 with the relaxed at the longest parts. My hair also has grown to just about the base of my neck, which was super duper fast don't y'all think????:spinning: It is also super kinky-coily and it shrinks to almost nothing; so in retrospect, I probably had more elongation than I can recall. I don't know anything about my natural hair, so it's hard to observe at only 4 months post what's normal and what's not normal. But I'm seeing it now FOR REAL, and yeah you get total reversion and no lasting effects from DE if you let it wear completely off. Oh and I was twice a week with a sulfate-free shampoo. I didn't stick with the DE STS, but I will definitely need it if I find a way to do my own treatment.

I definitely want to do it again, though. If only to stop the breakage and grow, grow, grow. I want to either do it myself or do the Silk Elements Kera Minerals. But I will be hopefully doing one or other really soon!

Hope this wasn't too long of a book (I type about 100 wpm), but OMG I gotta get back to work (and homework). Please excuse the typos, I don't have time to check.

Later,

Lav

Any word on whether or not Payne's beauty supply sells the elongation mousse?

Last edited:
Dove56

Thanks.
Has anyone tried to order as if they're a stylist? If so, what info did you give to prove you were a stylist? Has anyone else purchased and tried the elongation mousse?

@yodie

They sure do. :yep: You can call them and place an order. The owner, Tony, said it's the same price as the Transitioning Mousse.
What is the price 167 which is double and then some what stylist pays.

I don't mind paying 80 to 100 but to double it just because I am not a stylist???

I bought this a few months ago but I have not tried it yet:

Need reviews on it (cost me $95)

http://compare.ebay.com/like/251087882111?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

La Brasiliana ZERO Keratin Treatment with Collagen 16.9 oz.

http://www.glamourbeautycenter.com/...-zero-keratin-treatment-with-collagen-16.9-oz

Ceramic Pressing Comb:
http://www.treasuredlocks.com/lovely-strands-soft-press-comb.html#reviews

LavaTech premium pressing comb with a comfortable rubberized easy grip handle for comfort, a Tourmaline and ceramic infused barrel for even heat distribution and smoothness and our revolutionary Lovely Strands Two Way Heat Shield that lets you press right down the roots without fear of burning your scalp and to touch up around your ears without fear of burning your ears.

200º-400º F this comb is well suited for a "soft press" making hair much more manageble. It's perfect for those with natural hair who want to control the frizz and make the hair more manageable for styling.

http://avantisalonboston.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/the-new-straight-pravana-straight/

Perfection SmoothOut treatment, which is a Nano-Amino Complex that changes the textural memory of the hair follicle, transforming it into sleek, smooth, and soft hair.

Keratin Glazing is a blowout treatment that calms curls without straightening them entirely. It’s perfect for clients looking to eliminate some frizz, define their curls and bring health to their entire head of hair. It lasts 6-8 weeks, and is safe for all hair types.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ7sBmdRhdQ

The Keratin Fusion Texture Control is the most rigorous of the three treatments, and can eliminate up to 85% of a client’s curl. This procedure is far more permanent and greatly reduces styling time for the extra-curly ladies out there. However, to protect the integrity of the follicle, this treatment is not recommended for clients who have used other brands of straightening treatments in the past, or who have high-lift color.

Last edited:
Naked package received in today's mail (USPS). :grin:

Probably won't do a test strand/section until July 1st. Reason being I just got hair color last Saturday and plan to deep condition (protein and moisture) this Sunday and roller set.

Did anyone order the DE from Payne?

I'm kind of leery of all the different brands out there. I want to try DE or Arocsi.

Last edited:
I just tried to order the Arosci trial size, but their website kept saying that my account wasn't active. Go figure. Both Arosci and DE are around the same price for an 8oz supply.
Has anyone tried Arosci and DE? If so, was one better than the other?

Kurlee
Did you have trouble ordering from Arosci? Did you create an account online and order that way, or did you call and order? I keep getting an error message when I try to order online. I called DE. They reluctantly gave me the name of a distributor.

Back