BKT alternative?

I finally tried the Chi Enviro Smoothing Treatment that I have been holding on to for the last 6 months or so.

It took a really long time and I'm hoping all of my hard work will pay off in the end.

I applied it on Friday evening and let it "cure" for more than 24 hour recommendation. I just finished washing it out, conditioning, and flat-ironing my hair about an hour ago.

Here are a few pics of the process:

My hair with the treatment flat-ironed in. I trimmed about an 1 to an 1 1/2 to even up my horrible ends:
IMG_20120803_231803.jpg

My hair after I washed it out. My texture didn't change much at all. I'm still very much so 4a however my hair felt a bit silkier:
IMG_20120805_142324.jpg

My hair after blow drying using the tension method:
IMG_20120805_144009.jpg

My hair after I flat-ironing and trimming another 1 inch off to smooth out my ends:
IMG_20120805_170853.jpg

I wanted to try this treatment because I'm having a destination wedding in Jamaica in October. I wanted my hair to be an non-issue during our trip. So hopefully this treatment will live up to its claims because I really want to have hair that doesn't frizz up at the slightest hint of moisture in the air.

I hope this helps someone who is interested in trying this treatment.

OT: After comparing my progress in my Fotki, I realized I have trimmed 6 inches of hair off in the last year. My ends have been horrible even though I'm in a protective style all of the time. I have completely been slacking on moisturizing my ends on a daily basis and they have suffered tremendously. I'm going to make sure to keep up with M&S from now on.

bumping. any updates? I plan on trying the Naked Assuage or the Pravana Smoothout.

Napp, I just replied to your PM. Reposting here for everyone else:

Napp said:
Hi i was wondering if you tried this system and what were you results. do you have any pictures?

I tried Naked Assuage... The results look very close to how my hair looks usually when I blow dry and flat iron it - my signature pic shows my hair ...

The main difference I see (now that I've had it in for a month or so) is that once it's blow dried and curled (with a flat iron) it is a little harder to stay curled. And I only did 2 passes when I applied the assuage instead of the 5-6 they recommend. I do notice that when wet the curls look more defined. I have not yet worn my hair curly (WNG) but will next week.

My hair is 4a/3c, highly porous, low density. I will do the treatment again once it wears off (I have a patch of gray hair in the back that is dyed dk brown that is more wiry than the rest of my head, and the assuage helps even out the texture overall) but I will stay with 1-2 passes of the hot flatiron as I don't want stick straight hair.

Hope that helps. :) (I am traveling all week in Dallas, so I have no pics of my hair on my work PC but my signature pic is only ~2 weeks old.)

here is another new product i found that claims to temporarily straighten with a "thermal complex"

http://www.goinnatural.com/styleguide.html

http://www.goinnatural.com/shop.html

it is very affordable @ $30 for 4oz. the results seem a bit drastic though. i will try it out if the Naked Assuage doesnt work out.

here are the ingredients
Ingredients: Deionized water, oxoacetimide carbocystene, oxoacetimideamino acid, glycerin, knojoc manan & polyquaternium 37, aloe extract, garacilaria extract, honey, marigold extract, papaya extract, kiwi extract, sweet almond extract, polysorbate 20, fragrance, imidizolidinyl urea.

Last edited:
Hey there. I have a good friend that's a stylist. I can ask him to price the DE at stylist's cost if y'all would like. I'm on the fence. Don't know if I want to try it or the QOD Organiq. May try them both & see which one I like best.

Hi ladies, I'm back with a little more information about DE's STS. When I got the treatment in May, it was still relatively new and the educator's were really just getting used to it themselves (it was released in Jan). Here are a few new things I found out.

adele10 at one point you asked me if it could be used with a blow dryer only, skipping the flat iron. Initially, I was told no. This time however they stated it depends on the curl pattern and what the client would like to achieve. For example my texture is looser in the front, this time they did the full process on the back and only blow dried the front after applying the product. It's been a week since I got the treatment and I can already tell you that I like it soooo much better this way because my hair is still "big" with twist outs whereas before I felt like me twistouts were kinda limp.

Someone asked about using it on a child earlier. My stylist said that would only recommend it on a child that can complete the process, because it is rather long with the washing, applying, blow dry, flat iron, wash, style....

I have added some pics the show of me and the other model. As you will see I colored my hair recently. Below is a description of the pics, hopefully they post in the same order.

1. Stylist applying the product to the front section of my hair (they completed the back the previous day)

2. My blow dried hair, it actually looks as though it was lightly flat ironed but that was from the blow dryer alone...loves it.

3. The other model, straight back hair without product in the front.

4. Her finished product.

5. The two of us with the stylist. (They decided to do a wash & go on me even though I begged them not to but it didn't turn out bad)

Attachments

• DE application.jpg
    DE application.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 186
  • DE blown out.jpg
    DE blown out.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 184
  • DE other model.jpg
    DE other model.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 184
  • DE other model2.jpg
    DE other model2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 183
  • de class.jpg
    de class.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 203
i tried the naked assuage. im a bit disappointed so far. the product claimed it would prevent reversion but my roots poofed up while i was flat ironing! the roots feel really textured in the back. im going to be really upset if i bought this expensive product and it doesnt do much:sad:

i wet a small section by my ear to see how it looked and the curl seemed looser and straightened very easily with tension alone. hopefully that is a positive sign!

I tried the Arosci in my hair at 6 weeks post texlax. It made my hair more manageable and stronger. I love the way you apply the foam on wet hair after a conditioning shampoo as oppossed to requiring you to blow dry your hair after stripping it with a chelating shampoo before applying. I also tried it on my daughters hair. The application process wasn't bad. Her hair is a lot softer and seems stronger - however her puffs do not have the same definition/hold/shine that they did before. That is surprising. I knew curls would be looser but they are now kinda limp and dull looking (Afro like). I will likely do it on myself again, not sure about my DD. We'll see.

Last edited:
So here is a review now that i have washed it out.

The NA was very easy to apply and even made my hair feel silky when it was applied. once blowdried at flat ironed though it felt a little bit dry so i added a few drops of serum to my hair. it reverted right as soon as i was done flat ironing. oddly though only the back half of my hair reverted and the front stayed straight.

once i washed it out i notices my hair layed a little bit flatter but i didnt seem much different. it wasnt until i slicked my hair back with gel i could see the difference. the waves look much deeper and my edges are just so tamed! i love it!

overall im satisfied. it does work after all. the results are very mild but it will do for now. i also ordered pravana perfection and i would like do do that when i grow some more hair. until then i will be transitioning with the NA.

i added some before and after pics. the first 2 are before and the last two are after. i have these pics and more in my fotki. HHG:grin:

Attachments

• wet Ng 5 months.jpg
    wet Ng 5 months.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 115
  • waves before treatment.jpg
    waves before treatment.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 98
  • wet ng kt.jpg
    wet ng kt.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 85
  • waves after trmt.jpg
    waves after trmt.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 88
Napp said:
So here is a review now that i have washed it out.

The NA was very easy to apply and even made my hair feel silky when it was applied. once blowdried at flat ironed though it felt a little bit dry so i added a few drops of serum to my hair. it reverted right as soon as i was done flat ironing. oddly though only the back half of my hair reverted and the front stayed straight.

once i washed it out i notices my hair layed a little bit flatter but i didnt seem much different. it wasnt until i slicked my hair back with gel i could see the difference. the waves look much deeper and my edges are just so tamed! i love it!

overall im satisfied. it does work after all. the results are very mild but it will do for now. i also ordered pravana perfection and i would like do do that when i grow some more hair. until then i will be transitioning with the NA.

i added some before and after pics. the first 2 are before and the last two are after. i have these pics and more in my fotki. HHG:grin:

Very pretty hair! Is NA applied to wet hair? Where did you purchase?

So Arosci responded to my query last night. Which I posted in April....

4 months too late but i think they are getting their act together. Updating FB, re-designed site.

Hey i was going through this thread and I believe I want to try out the arosci or design essentials dont know which just yet. Anyway I saw this youtube video from a girl in the UK who is transitioning. She took her camera to the salon so it shows the steps and the results. She has some more review and after pics on her blog I believe. http://youtu.be/ezrq8q4-D7Q

Sounds pretty cool... I wonder if it's like the chi american treatment?

Man I wish these things were available in the uk

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

http://arosci.net/store/page11.html

About The NEW Intensive Restructuring System
A revolutionary system featuring next generation protein smoothing therapies designed to tame frizz, straighten curly textures, and elongate natural curls with ease. inside out. With the proven AROSCI® Strand-by-Strand Strength™ Complex, AROSCI IRS delivers three levels of protection and strength for up to 12 week of strength, length, resilience and shine.

Fortifies each hair strand with a combination of penetrating amino acids for improved strength with every use. Strengthens with a restorative blend of micro-proteins that helps repair the hair from the inside out. Protects against breakage with a nourishing series of natural extracts that encourage hair growth. Lengthens: When used with heat, delivers significant curl elongation on excessively curly textures without the use of formaldehyde or formaldehyde derivatives.

The new Arosci Intensive Restructuring Foam delivers "relaxer-like" straightening without permanent chemicals, for up to 12 weeks of smooth, straight, frizz free hair. Designed for clients who are Straight Seekers, Natural Wearers and Those In Transition, the Intensive Restructuring Foam transforms the most unmanageable hair into smooth, tamed hair with illuminating shine, while improving hair strength with each use.
Next generation protein smoothing therapy strengthens and lengthens excessively curly textures for extreme manageability and shine. Delivers up to 12 weeks of relaxer like straightening without the use of permanent chemicals
-Ideal for straight seekers and those transitioning out of relaxer + Must be activated with heat, used according to directions to achieve desired result

The Arosci Intensive Restructuring Serum delivers the new standard in natural curl manageability. Designed for Natural Wearers, the Arosci Intensive Restructuring serum delivers maximum elongation, significant curl control, high curl definition, and naturally healthy shine.Next generation protein taming therapy delivers the new standard in natural curl manageability. Elongates and defines curls, tamez frizz and provides manageability and control
Ideal for natural curl wearers wearers

new-arosci-irs-package

Caramel Hottie UK Kurlee

Thanks for that Kurlee, I was just about to suggest Arosci. Its the same brand we use in our salon. It doesn't have any formaldehyde (or any aldehydes for that matter). The results are in my siggy, and there are links to the website in the description box. I like that stuff, but I will say that the curl pattern may not return fully after the treatment. The funny thing is when wet, the hair doesn't look noticeably loosened, but flat irons a treat.

Aviah said:
Caramel Hottie UK Kurlee

Thanks for that Kurlee, I was just about to suggest Arosci. Its the same brand we use in our salon. It doesn't have any formaldehyde (or any aldehydes for that matter). The results are in my siggy, and there are links to the website in the description box. I like that stuff, but I will say that the curl pattern may not return fully after the treatment. The funny thing is when wet, the hair doesn't look noticeably loosened, but flat irons a treat.

You don't think the curl pattern will return even after months of the product wearing off?

I did a test section with the pravana perfection and i think i actually have the results i was looking for.so far i prefer it to the NA. Pravana has given me results closest to the actual bkt. i didnt go for it first because i saw people complaining about the hair giving off a metallic smell after the treatment. It just smells like soap to me but then again i only did it on a small section. I wonder if the effects are cumulative like a regular bkt....

here is another product that seems to be geared toward smoothing and stretching the curl pattern

Nice & Curly Stretch It Straight Smoothing Creme
Product Features
Stretch It Straight
Smoothing Creme
Lengthen - Stretch - Smooth
For Transitioning And Natural Hair Styles

Important Information
Directions
Apply to clean, damp hair. Do not condition. Part hair into four sections. Apply a liberal amount of Stretch It Straight Smoothing Creme to each section, distributing evenly from root to tip.(Should cover hair stands similar to a deep conditioner). Comb through and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Be sure to apply to hair edges. DO NOT RINSE. Blow dry with smoothing creme in the hair. Flat iron in 1/4" sections to seal in the smooth style. Rewash, condition, blow dry and flat iron hair to maximum smooth and high definition shine.

Product Description
Stretch It Straight Smoothing Creme is designed to lengthen, stretch and smooth your curls to bring out your fab and your naturally "staright for a while" style. Eriched with Shea Butter, Sweet Almod Oil, and Argan Oil, Stretch It Straight Smoothing Creme softens, tames and defrizzes natural curls, transforming your hair into a smooth, straight, shiny look for as long as you want. When used with heat, Stretch it Straight will give you that "relaxed" look, without all the relaxer drama. And Stretch It Straight Smoothing Creme will nourish and protect transitioning hair, minimizing breakage and maximizing fabulous shine. Don't smooth without it! Stretch It Straight Smoothing Creme.... fabulous served daily.

i dont have a full ingredient list yet but it apparently contains "Glyoxyloyl Keratin Amino Acids "

all i have to say where was this stuff when i was natural?! LOL. i will be trying this out

Did anyone have success mending split ends with this treatment?

no i dont think so. surprisingly i dont have alot of split ends though even with multiple passes or several occasions.

I did a test section with the pravana perfection and i think i actually have the results i was looking for.so far i prefer it to the NA. Pravana has given me results closest to the actual bkt. i didnt go for it first because i saw people complaining about the hair giving off a metallic smell after the treatment. It just smells like soap to me but then again i only did it on a small section. I wonder if the effects are cumulative like a regular bkt....

a little update on the pravana. i did some more research and it seems to be more permanent then the others. after 2-3 uses it makes the previously treated hair stay straight:nono: actually it may be a nice option for someone to have if they want to chuck relaxing but still have relaxed results but i like the option of the hair reverting after non use and multiple applications. on that front Naked aussage delivers. i will keep the pravana on deck for my edges but i wont be using it on the bulk of my hair.

I also like the Nice & Curly stretch it straight creme. it was a pain to blowdry and flat iron but it really gave me pretty results. at first i said to myself i would never go through the horror of doing it again but it made my hair laydown much more smoothly which i really liked. im still not crazy over the ingredients though.

here is an ingredient list for the SIS:

water(Aqua),shea butter(butryosperum parkii),soybean oil(glycine Soja),sodium polyacrylate(derived from SEA SALT),Ethylhexyl stearate and trideceth 6, kiwi extract(actinidia chinesis),honey,Alma oil(embelica offcinalis), papaya extract(carica), lavender extract( lavandula angustifolia),garacilaria extract(allium sativium) glyoxyloyl carbocyctene, glyoxyloyl keratin amino acids,phenoxyethanol (and) caprylyl glycol, argan oil(arganica spinosa),almond oil(prumus amygdalus),fragrance(parfum)

here are the results

no product
nicencurlySIS004.jpg

with product(shampoo)
nicencurlySIS001.jpg

I did the Pravana smoothout and my hair returned back to normal.

However, I did not used a flatiron so it did not get very straight to begin with. Basically, it barely took. I did notice dryness. Dryness. Did I say dryness. Yes Dryness.
No breakage.

@adele10 at one point you asked me if it could be used with a blow dryer only, skipping the flat iron. Initially, I was told no. This time however they stated it depends on the curl pattern and what the client would like to achieve. For example my texture is looser in the front, this time they did the full process on the back and only blow dried the front after applying the product. It's been a week since I got the treatment and I can already tell you that I like it soooo much better this way because my hair is still "big" with twist outs whereas before I felt like me twistouts were kinda limp.

Uniqzoe

So the front they put in the product and blew dry your hair to achieve texturizer like results

and in the back they flat iron and you were able to achieve straight results

Was there any problems with dryness? Did your hair revert? Would you do this again? How long does this last?

Forgive me if you answered some of these before...I do have brain farts some times.

found a place that doesnt charge an arm and a leg for the design essential strengthening. they charge 125 so i will see. thats better then the 350 i have been finding lately.

found a place that doesnt charge an arm and a leg for the design essential strengthening. they charge 125 so i will see. thats better then the 350 i have been finding lately.

My stylist charged me $150 for the Design Essentials Strengthening System. I love it because I am transitioning and I had gotten to a point that detangling was becoming a serious pain. I personally would not spend more than $150 for the treatment.

Back