BKT alternative?

carbocysteine ones are attached to the glyoxylic acid, but carry the synonym "oxoacetamide carbocysteine, instead of glyoxyloyl carbocysteine. Dove56, the QOD Max Organiq that everyone was going gaga over? I think the sulfite ones are "safest".

I do think sulfites are the safest of all. :yep: I read that carbocyestine was thio based which is very interesting. I do like the QOD Max Organiq treatment because there are no fumes. Here are the ingredients:

Composition: Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Behentrimonium
Chloride, Paraffinum Liquidum, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (And) Methicone (And) Polyquaternium-10 (And) Carbocysteine, Polyquaternium7, Hidrolized Keratin, Amodimethicone, Trideceth-12, Peg-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein (And) Sodium Benzoate, Theobroma Cacao(Cocoa), Extract Parfum, Cetrimonium Chloride, Bht, Methylchloroisothiazolinona (And)Methylisothiazolinone, Ci 77400.

the arosci has completely worn off of my test sections. No breakage, dryness or anything. My hair is perfectly fine.

Yes, this was a good treatment. :yep: My hair did wave a bit in this Texas humidity but I may have removed too much of the treatment when I did the towel blot before the blowdry. I did that so I wouldn't have too much product and end up with a crunchy flatiron (like the test section :look:).

Dang. :perplexed

I'm not sure what NUAAT is - google doesn't give me any info ...

One thing my hair stylist said was that peeps that had had BKT felt the GKHair Best wasn't as effective - it left their hair straighter but still curlier and didn't make it "weigh" as much as the BKT did (presumably because BKT bonds to the hair and weighs it down according to my stylist.) Which led me to believe that "The Best" wasn't as 'harsh' a treatment. :look: I'd love for my hair to have a looser curl (like when I texlaxed) without the relaxer component.

So I take it that this isn't something you guys consider safe?

UGH.

:(

Sits back down on the "waiting for a DE supplier" bench. :ohwell:

I think QOD Max Organiq is fabulous but I am a bit of a keratin treatment slore lol so I always try different brands. My head has been a keratin testing site since April 2009.:yep::look:

For some reason I wasn't intrigued enough to try "The Best" although the first treatment I did was Global Keratin 2%. I personally wouldn't fool with any type of aldehyde. There are no long term studies, I just don't trust it. I was a fool for a couple of years but those headaches, sore throats and the like were too much for me so I stopped using the regular QOD Max treatment last March 2011.

Dove56 said:
Yes, this was a good treatment. :yep: My hair did wave a bit in this Texas humidity but I may have removed too much of the treatment when I did the towel blot before the blowdry. I did that so I wouldn't have too much product and end up with a crunchy flatiron (like the test section :look:).

Which do you like more: DE, Ascoci (sp) , Organic QOD?
Which ones are sulfur based?

I hope you understand bc I am texting

Dove56 said:
I do think sulfites are the safest of all. :yep: I read that carbocyestine was thio based which is very interesting. I do like the QOD Max Organiq treatment because there are no fumes. Here are the ingredients:

Composition: Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Behentrimonium
Chloride, Paraffinum Liquidum, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (And) Methicone (And) Polyquaternium-10 (And) Carbocysteine, Polyquaternium7, Hidrolized Keratin, Amodimethicone, Trideceth-12, Peg-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein (And) Sodium Benzoate, Theobroma Cacao(Cocoa), Extract Parfum, Cetrimonium Chloride, Bht, Methylchloroisothiazolinona (And)Methylisothiazolinone, Ci 77400.

Sulfite ? Correspond to which brand

I wish we had a list with the brands and their active ingredients (as well as ratings)

Adel10, I was going to suggest the same thing.

Dove56, Isn't Ograniq considered a BKT whereas Arocsi and DE are cysteine treatments?

Forgive all of my questions. I"m just trying to get a better understanding of the products.

Which do you like more: DE, Ascoci (sp) , Organic QOD?
Which ones are sulfur based?

I hope you understand bc I am texting

Hi Adel10,

I follow. :)

I haven't tried DE (yet :look:) but I did like Arosci. I LURVE QOD MAX ORGANIQ because I get excellent curl elongation, humidity resistance, no reversion in high humidity and I can rollerset my hair with ease.

I did try a sulfite (sulfur) based treatment about a month ago from Sally's by Silk Elements called Keraminerals and so far I'm pleased with the results. My hair is super smooth but you can still smell the sulfur after every shampoo. It's no biggie though. My hair hasn't gotten huge or anything even in my Zumba class or walking outside. It also hasn't comprised my hair in any way and you only have to do one pass of the flatiron.

My only concern is the ingredient Sodium Oxide that turns into Sodium Hydroxide when it's combined with water. The ingredient is near the very end of the ingredient listing, still, I wonder if it could cause breakage if you reapply the treatment from root to tip.

Last edited:
Adel10, I was going to suggest the same thing.

Dove56, Isn't Ograniq considered a BKT whereas Arocsi and DE are cysteine treatments?

Forgive all of my questions. I"m just trying to get a better understanding of the products.

yodie,

Technically, Organiq is a cystine treatment. They might market it as a "BKT" but it's not. The product contains no aldehydes, formeldahyde, or urea. Their initial Max treatment was a real BKT. Organiq makes my hair feel the exact same as the Arosci when I applied the treatments.

Last edited:
Sulfite ? Correspond to which brand

I wish we had a list with the brands and their active ingredients (as well as ratings)

Sulfites are in the following:

Aveda Smooth Infusion Smoothing Treatment (professional only at the salon).

http://www.aveda.com/cms/spp/popup/smoothing_treatment_faq.tmpl

Ojon Super Sleek (can purchase at Ulta)

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2243317&productId=xlsImpprod4220033&navAction=push&navCount=1&categoryId=cat1050001?cmpid=PSGO&CAWELAID=1258182800&cagpspn=pla#details

Bumble and Bumble Concen-Straight (can purchase at Sephora)

http://www.sephora.com/concen-straight-smoothing-treatment-P304102?om_mmc=Googlepla&_requestid=42976&cm_mmc=us_search-_-GG-_-pla-_-{keyword}&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1393198

Silk Elements Keraminerals (can purchase at Sally's)

http://www.sallybeauty.com/kera-minerals-system/SBS-373680,default,pd.html

One 'N' Only Brazilian Tech Keratin Smoothing Treatment (can purchase at Sally's)

http://www.sallybeauty.com/keratin-smoothing-system/SBS-539233,default,pd.html

Rusk Deepshine Keratin Smoothing Treatment (can purchase at Amazon.com)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ArsqTlR4aE

Rusk is owned by Conair. One N Only is owned by Jherri Redding which owns Conair, so they are essentially the exact same product.

Keraminerals and Bumble and Bumble have the best ratings. Bumble and Bumble also offers a professional treatment at the salon in addition to the "at home" version.

Last edited:
hmmmmm design essentials is so damn expensive. 167 for 8oz?! that's a lot! the essations is much cheaper. so is QOD max organiq. sigh . . . decisions, decisions!

hmmmmm design essentials is so damn expensive. 167 for 8oz?! that's a lot! the essations is much cheaper. so is QOD max organiq. sigh . . . decisions, decisions!

We need a list. I thought essations was a relaxer? They have a keratin treatment?

The sulifite (sp) treatments:

From what I am seeing they don't work on 4A/4B hair?

I'm so confuzzled!:spinning:

GKHair the Best has glyoxylic acid in it.

DE and Arosci have glyoxyloyl/oxoacetamide carbocysteine (which is carbocysteine attached to the glyoxylic acid)

Then there are a list of options containing sulphur / sulphite but they (apparently?) leave your hair smelling like sulphur (which I would not like.)

Kurlee, Dove56 where did you guys order your Arosci from? Was the delivery prompt? I recall upthread someone was having a hard time getting answers back from emails they sent to (I think) Arosci ...

Has anyone tried Essations Naked Assuage?

Nunaat works as well as QOD Organiq and is very inexpensive. They are both cysteine based. You can get Nunaat from Walgreens. Both of them were difficult to comb through once they started to dry in my 4b hair so that's the only reason I'm interested in seeing how the DE and Arosci foams perform on my hair. The Arosci video I saw looks like it's easy to comb through. I wonder if 8 oz of foam will go a lot further than 8 oz of liquid.

Kurlee said:

I know ugh. Arosci is so much more affordable than DE.

Where are you ladies purchasing the Arosci from? Asking because the prices for 8 oz looks about the same as DE from what I saw.

Last edited:
The thing about Arosci is they wouldn't answer a direct question. Not on the phone, not via email too much evasion seemed a little fishy.

DE is worth the price 8oz is 4 applications for $80(thats what my sister paid). You probably wouldn't do applications back to back, $80 a year doesn't seem bad to me.

The thing about Arosci is they wouldn't answer a direct question. Not on the phone, not via email too much evasion seemed a little fishy.

DE is worth the price 8oz is 4 applications for $80(thats what my sister paid). You probably wouldn't do applications back to back, $80 a year doesn't seem bad to me.
what question were they evading?

Back