BKT alternative?

Arosci fail, after calling for a week, leaving msgs and emails. I still have no answers.

Design Essentials just got released in Barbados, contacted a salon and stylist i know there. He is looking into pricing it for me. So hopefully I should have some pics and commentary in the next cpl weeks.

I don't like that the examples they are showing are with women of looser texture. What are they hiding, by not showing natural kinky haired women. I called my stylist today to see if she offered it and she offers the Keratin express blowout. Not sure what this is and can't seem to really find anyone on this site that has used it.

and on top of not being able to find detailed info on it, you can only get it from a stylist. sigh. . . .

I'm scared. Design Essentials is having a sale (visiting relatives) and I want to try this but don't want to destroy my progress....anyone use this that can report back (after a month or two of treatment). How is the quality of your hair?

SPILL

It's been almost a month since I got the DE Strengthening Therapy System (elongation). I will give you the pros and cons as I see them.

PROS:

I love, love, love how easy it is to detangle my hair. My detangle time has been cut in half and I can even part my hair while its curly (which never happened before).

My hair straightens beautifully!!!! It didn't revert as quickly either. My hair was so silky and straight that I was actually worried that it wouldn't revert.

By the end of the day my hair isn't super big and out of control. (I'm still trying to decide if this is a pro or not b/c I love big hair.)

ETA: My hair retains moisture well and doesn't dry out as quickly also! My shedding isn't better or worse than before so its pretty normal.

CONS:

My twist outs are kinda limp now. Meaning my hair doesn't seem to hold curls the same. For example I normally can wear a twist out for 3-4 days without retwisting. With the system, I either have to retwist it each night or be ok with a slight wave as opposed to defined curl. As you will see from the pics below it looks as if I did the twist out on blow dried hair but I didn't. That's just a normal twist out on kinky hair.

It is recommended that you wash your hair every 2 weeks to make it last for 12 weeks. I really don't like this because I'm used to washing my hair every week and with my limp twist outs I have to use more products on my hair for it to have better definition. While I don't mind washing the system out earlier at this time, had I paid $300 plus for it I would definitely want to make it last as long as possible.

One thing I must note is that whatever heat you were used to flat ironing your hair with before would need to be reduced with the system. When I flat ironed my hair myself I used it on 400 as always and when I washed my hair I noticed some heat damage in the front that was not there after the stylist flat ironed my hair. I was so disappointed :cry2: because in 3 years of transitioning and being natural I have never had head damage but I'm not blaming it on the system, I just wish they would have warned me to adjust the heat down when flat ironing following the treatment. :sad:

Other than that I don't have any major complaints. The ease in detangling alone is enough to make me give up the thumbs up. I hope my review was helpful.

First day twist out

This is the most definition that I can get with.

This pic you can see how the hair loses its shape by the end of the day.

While I hate this pic, you can see what my hair looked like the day of the show after the system was washed out and styled in a wash n go.

Last edited:
UniqzoeYour also on the FB page. I was wondering if that was you.

The FB page has more examples of 4s. But there stills (obviously)from other hair shows. I assume the vid was done with "lighter" haired folks because it was easier to show the application process. Surprised they didn't show the transitioner vid tho.

you and your hair are beautiful

Thank you!

UniqzoeYour also on the FB page. I was wondering if that was you.

The FB page has more examples of 4s. But there stills (obviously)from other hair shows. I assume the vid was done with "lighter" haired folks because it was easier to show the application process. Surprised they didn't show the transitioner vid tho.

It would be nice to see more textures represented in their videos so people can see how it works on all textures. It is what it is as far as the smoothing, we all know how our hair works. Hopefully they will update their videos to show more variety soon.

Ok so I wimped out and cancelled my appointment. However if there's any one that I'll do it's design essentials. I'm thinking maybe if I can convince them to do a test patch on my bangs...then I can assess over the summer and decide from there. I have a feeling with such low heat, that it can't be too bad...with the exception of the type of protein infused (and how much moisture I can maintain)...so we'll see there. Appreciating the reviews and knowledge though!

It's been almost a month since I got the DE Strengthening Therapy System (elongation). I will give you the pros and cons as I see them.

PROS:

I love, love, love how easy it is to detangle my hair. My detangle time has been cut in half and I can even part my hair while its curly (which never happened before).

My hair straightens beautifully!!!! It didn't revert as quickly either. My hair was so silky and straight that I was actually worried that it wouldn't revert.

By the end of the day my hair isn't super big and out of control. (I'm still trying to decide if this is a pro or not b/c I love big hair.)

ETA: My hair retains moisture well and doesn't dry out as quickly also! My shedding isn't better or worse than before so its pretty normal.

CONS:

My twist outs are kinda limp now. Meaning my hair doesn't seem to hold curls the same. For example I normally can wear a twist out for 3-4 days without retwisting. With the system, I either have to retwist it each night or be ok with a slight wave as opposed to defined curl. As you will see from the pics below it looks as if I did the twist out on blow dried hair but I didn't. That's just a normal twist out on kinky hair.

It is recommended that you wash your hair every 2 weeks to make it last for 12 weeks. I really don't like this because I'm used to washing my hair every week and with my limp twist outs I have to use more products on my hair for it to have better definition. While I don't mind washing the system out earlier at this time, had I paid $300 plus for it I would definitely want to make it last as long as possible.

One thing I must note is that whatever heat you were used to flat ironing your hair with before would need to be reduced with the system. When I flat ironed my hair myself I used it on 400 as always and when I washed my hair I noticed some heat damage in the front that was not there after the stylist flat ironed my hair. I was so disappointed :cry2: because in 3 years of transitioning and being natural I have never had head damage but I'm not blaming it on the system, I just wish they would have warned me to adjust the heat down when flat ironing following the treatment. :sad:

Other than that I don't have any major complaints. The ease in detangling alone is enough to make me give up the thumbs up. I hope my review was helpful.

First day twist out

This is the most definition that I can get with.

This pic you can see how the hair loses its shape by the end of the day.

While I hate this pic, you can see what my hair looked like the day of the show after the system was washed out and styled in a wash n go.
Uniqzoe,

Just curious what products did you use in your twist out. Do you think others might work better now or do you find that you can use the same products as before?

I love the idea of retaining moisture better.

luckiestdestiny You may have a point there because I have been using the same products on my twist outs as before. I use ORS twist and lock gel and DE curl defining curl (which I know doesn't provide enough hold). Do you have any suggestions for products I could possibly use? I am the opposite of a product junkie and don't try new products often.

@luckiestdestiny You may have a point there because I have been using the same products on my twist outs as before. I use ORS twist and lock gel and DE curl defining curl (which I know doesn't provide enough hold). Do you have any suggestions for products I could possibly use? I am the opposite of a product junkie and don't try new products often.

Alas no. I haven't tried this at all because I haven't tried this or anything like it. My hair has been in a protective style in one way or another for the past year to two yeras. I was just thinking outside the box:look:...trying to see if that might be the problem. Because if that IS the problem...then yay...solved. Hope you find what you're looking for (products)

Design essentials works. I would recommend a stylist that has done the training with DE and uses DE products.
I got fooled by this stylist here, who told me he went to the training. Sustained further damage to my ends, because this insane person used a hot comb that was def higher than 400 on my poor already damaged ends( yes I freaked out on him). Lied and told me he was using the elongation mousse on me then slipped up and I realised he was using the Transitioning mousse.

My hair feels lighter not as dense. BUT it looks as dense
Except for a few straight pieces in the front my curl pattern did stretch and my coils are kinda curly. I have no fear that my hair will not revert.
My hair is acting and looking the same, it just is taking less time to do everything
Yes I would do this again
Will add some pics. Uploading now.

Has Anyone Gotten anymore information or online beauty supply stores that offer Design Essentials Strengthening Therapy System?? I want to try this

The more I read about this the more I like it. I'm seeing shiny hair everytime with this stuff. Plus I was on curlscoilsandkinks.com and they sent some questions to design essentials. I like what I read so far but again I'm still cautious:

What is the difference between STS and a Keratin Treatment?

Design Essentials® Strengthening Therapy System is neither a relaxer system nor a keratin system. Unlike Keratin systems, Strengthening Therapy is truly Formaldehyde Free. It is an Amino-Acid based system that tames, smoothes and elongates curls for a lasting, yet non-permanent effect (up to 12 weeks).

Is there anything that could cause harm in STS?

The Design Essentials® Strengthening Therapy System is not a chemical, but a protein based treatment that does not contain any harsh or permanent chemicals. Unlike chemical based products, Strengthening Therapy System does not break nor rearrange the bonds. In contrast, it fills the hair fiber with micro-fine amino acids, resulting in the stretching or elongation of the hair strand, while providing maximum strengthening to the hair. Strengthening Therapy System is actually one of the safest and most effective amino-acid infused thermal reconditioning systems on the market. It is even gentle enough to be used on a child without damage or harm to the child or her hair.

---

Now if only I can find out if amino acids act similar to silk proteins in that they strenthen in a "moisturizing way" because that is something that my hair can take (silk protein) versus heavier proteins which really ...my hair does NOT like.

And also what happens after they leave? If it fills in the hair fiber, and then dissappears...does that wreak havoc on the hair as in the keratin treatments where some had "peeling" and all kinds of crazy stuff happen. But then there were two arguments on that being that it was the product and the other being that it was the amount of heat. Or is it completely a different world with this product?

Last edited:
Okay so forgive my ignorance but I thought silk proteins were just that...silk proteins...are silk proteins amino acids? OMG I would feel so much better about potentially trying this product if this is true. Just did some research and it appears that when I put in silk proteins, amino acids always pop up and that's what is in design essentials.....

Ok I realize I've posted a ton here. Forgive but I'm getting excited because I've found that:

http://www.silkdreamshaircare.com/pages/HairCareIngredients101.htm
Silk amino acids are silk proteins broken down into small enough units to be beneficial to your hair.

---

My hair loves silk proteins because they're so moisturizing and really a light protein. This is such a wonderful revelation and takes me one step closer to being a non chicken lol!

The more I read about this the more I like it. I'm seeing shiny hair everytime with this stuff. Plus I was on curlscoilsandkinks.com and they sent some questions to design essentials. I like what I read so far but again I'm still cautious:

What is the difference between STS and a Keratin Treatment?

Design Essentials® Strengthening Therapy System is neither a relaxer system nor a keratin system. Unlike Keratin systems, Strengthening Therapy is truly Formaldehyde Free. It is an Amino-Acid based system that tames, smoothes and elongates curls for a lasting, yet non-permanent effect (up to 12 weeks).

Is there anything that could cause harm in STS?

The Design Essentials® Strengthening Therapy System is not a chemical, but a protein based treatment that does not contain any harsh or permanent chemicals. Unlike chemical based products, Strengthening Therapy System does not break nor rearrange the bonds. In contrast, it fills the hair fiber with micro-fine amino acids, resulting in the stretching or elongation of the hair strand, while providing maximum strengthening to the hair. Strengthening Therapy System is actually one of the safest and most effective amino-acid infused thermal reconditioning systems on the market. It is even gentle enough to be used on a child without damage or harm to the child or her hair.

---

Now if only I can find out if amino acids act similar to silk proteins in that they strenthen in a "moisturizing way" because that is something that my hair can take (silk protein) versus heavier proteins which really ...my hair does NOT like.

And also what happens after they leave? If it fills in the hair fiber, and then dissappears...does that wreak havoc on the hair as in the keratin treatments where some had "peeling" and all kinds of crazy stuff happen. But then there were two arguments on that being that it was the product and the other being that it was the amount of heat. Or is it completely a different world with this product?

:grin: I know it I see my hair just flowing and shiny. I wonder has anyone found where I can get this system without a salon

Anyone know any good systems that will only last a week or two? Also anyone heard of Naked by Essations? I went to a hair show last week and they were doing a demo. The trainer said you can use their system two ways, one it'll last a couple of weeks the other way it'll last 2 or 3 months. TIA for the help.

Anyone know any good systems that will only last a week or two? Also anyone heard of Naked by Essations? I went to a hair show last week and they were doing a demo. The trainer said you can use their system two ways, one it'll last a couple of weeks the other way it'll last 2 or 3 months. TIA for the help.

I've seen it in action and I was like :lick: but then when I did research I read this
Indulge your clients' natural or relaxed tresses in the hydrating care of honey and almond, and the strengthening properties of aloe and lanolin. Our Naked collection offers many ways to charm your clients to our Naked Fuzion lattes. The relaxer formulation in this forte is enriched with time released emollients, which infuse your clients' hair with bursts of moisture and strength. Easily comb through and style naturally curly textures, or transition those same textures into lasting straight styles that flow with undeniable body and shine. The finishing touches are what stand apart. After all, the decadence is in the details. I was like :blush: "relaxer" I hate that word and natural to mix. I love my curls and would never want them to ever be relaxed again.

Back