BKT alternative?

Ok back from vacation time for the pics.
The last pic was the next day after the process. I have more pics but waiting for family to upload.

For ppl afraid of the heat, this product protected my existing heat damage so well. Unfortunately for me(Remember i went to the a$$hole "stylist" who lied about being trained) though the twit who fried my hair messed up some undamaged pieces in the front that def have to be cut later. Thankfully there is some curl return so instead of 3-4 inches looks like it will be about 1-2inches after the product wears off.

Twists before DE

The DE system

Also
-combing/detangling takes about 5 mins vs 15-20 mins.
-in 3 years I have never been able to flat iron my hair, it would always revert immediately. Always. Reverted both times I tried Softliss( BKT)
-both my sisters did this with me one who at 3 months post the other at 8
weeks. They loved it, "8 weeks" will now attempt one relaxer a year. "3 months" is officially transitioning.

I would liken the transitioning mousse to a texturiser/texlaxing. It has the same feeling my hair had in the early days of my texturising before my hair was over processed.

The last pic was the next day after the process. I have more pics but waiting for family to upload.

For ppl afraid of the heat, this product protected my existing heat damage so well. Unfortunately for me(Remember i went to the a$$hole "stylist" who lied about being trained) though the twit who fried my hair messed up some undamaged pieces in the front that def have to be cut later. Thankfully there is some curl return so instead of 3-4 inches looks like it will be about 1-2inches after the product wears off.

Twists before DE

The DE system

Also
-in 3 years I have never been able to flat iron my hair, it would always revert immediately. Always. Reverted both times I tried Softliss( BKT)
weeks. They loved it, "8 weeks" will now attempt one relaxer a year. "3 months" is officially transitioning.

WOW! Your hair looks great! Yes the shorter detangling time is awesome!!!

Twists before DE

The DE system

Also
your hair is healthy and thick:yep:

Uniqzoe, Would you do the treatment again?

yodie I was actually just thinking about that yesterday and I would do it again. I like the way it reduces the volume but I still can have big hair. Detangling is a breeze! I'm hoping that I can be in the hair show in August so I can get it again for free.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, ladies! I really want to try DE. I'm almost at my wit's end with transitioning but I def don't want to get a BKT...

The de from what I understand is not a BKT ^ It's an alternative to it. It's just amino acids infused in the hair to add weight and lengthen coilstemporarily while strengthening and protecting hair from heat so it may be up your ally....and mine:look:...we'll see...

Last edited:
I have continued to stalk this thread hoping you all found a DE supplier ... :ohwell:

However, I just came from my hair dressers (I had my grays colored :look: ) and she mentioned that they no longer do BKT but now offer an amino based smoothing treatment by a company known as GK (Global Keratin). It's called "The Best." She gave me a copy of their fact sheet and it appears to be filled with amino acids. I just got home and did a google and found this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Keratin-GK-Taming-System/dp/B006P1EJMS

Looks like it's for sale to the public (my hair dresser says she charges $250+ for it.) She only uses a blow dryer (not a flat iron) and she thinks I would love it.

I am about to jump in the shower so I haven't done anymore research online, but once I'm out will scan the ingredient sheet she gave me and post it here. :grin:

The de from what I understand is not a BKT ^ It's an alternative to it. It's just amino acids infused in the hair to add weight and lengthen coilstemporarily while strengthening and protecting hair from heat so it may be up your ally....and mine:look:...we'll see...

I'm sorry! Maybe I worded my post wrong, but I meant that I do want an alternative to BKT after hearing all the horror stories from other women and doing research on them. It definitely sounds like it's for me! I'm gonna talk to a stylist I found in Brandon that offers it and do some more research. :yep:

the arosci has completely worn off of my test sections. No breakage, dryness or anything. My hair is perfectly fine.

I have continued to stalk this thread hoping you all found a DE supplier ... :ohwell:

However, I just came from my hair dressers (I had my grays colored :look: ) and she mentioned that they no longer do BKT but now offer an amino based smoothing treatment by a company known as GK (Global Keratin). It's called "The Best." She gave me a copy of their fact sheet and it appears to be filled with amino acids. I just got home and did a google and found this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Keratin-GK-Taming-System/dp/B006P1EJMS

Looks like it's for sale to the public (my hair dresser says she charges $250+ for it.) She only uses a blow dryer (not a flat iron) and she thinks I would love it.

I am about to jump in the shower so I haven't done anymore research online, but once I'm out will scan the ingredient sheet she gave me and post it here. :grin:

OK, here are the 2 pages she gave me. What do you guys think of the ingredients?

Kurlee Adel10 Uniqzoe Dove56 yodie Damaged but not out luckiestdestiny

ETA to mention folks (assuming I did it right - I'm a newbie :drunk: ) And DH and I did a bunch of searches ... the only questionable item we came up with is Propylene Glycol and we found this on wiki:

The acute oral toxicity of propylene glycol is very low, and large quantities are required to cause perceptible health damage in humans; propylene glycol is metabolized in the human body into pyruvic acid (a normal part of the glucose-metabolism process, readily converted to energy), acetic acid (handled by ethanol-metabolism), lactic acid (a normal acid generally abundant during digestion),[11] and propionaldehyde (a potentially hazardous substance).[12][13][14] Serious toxicity generally occurs only at plasma concentrations over 1 g/L, which requires extremely high intake over a relatively short period of time.[15] It would be nearly impossible to reach toxic levels by consuming foods or supplements, which contain at most 1 g/kg of PG. Cases of propylene glycol poisoning are usually related to either inappropriate intravenous administration or accidental ingestion of large quantities by children.[16] The potential for long-term oral toxicity is also low. In one study, rats were provided with feed containing as much as 5% PG in feed over a period of 104 weeks and they showed no apparent ill effects.[17] Because of its low chronic oral toxicity, propylene glycol was classified by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration as "generally recognized as safe" (GRAS) for use as a direct food additive.
GKHair The Best.jpg

The Best Ingredients.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, here are the 2 pages she gave me. What do you guys think of the ingredients?

ETA to mention folks (assuming I did it right - I'm a newbie :drunk: ) And DH and I did a bunch of searches ... the only questionable item we came up with is Propylene Glycol and we found this on wiki:

View attachment 154837

View attachment 154839
so it's the same active ingredient: Glyoxylic acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyoxylic_acid

View attachment 154837

View attachment 154839

I read about this treatment and the active ingredients a few weeks ago. It is also in NUAAT. It seems that if the treatments don't contain formeldahyde or some type of aldehyde (like Glyoxlic acid) the results aren't as dramatic.

I think the safest treatments are carbocyestine and sulfite based. I will not play with formeldahyde or any variation of it. :nono: I never knew all the time that the QOD Max contained close to 4% formeldahyde instead of the "trace amounts" they purported. :nono:

Last edited:
I read about this treatment and the active ingredients a few weeks ago. It is also in NUAAT. It seems that if the treatments don't contain formeldahyde or some type of aldehyde (like Glyoxlic acid) the results aren't as dramatic.

I think the safest treatments are carbocyestine and sulfite based. I will not play with formeldahyde or any variation of it. :nono: I never knew all the time that the QOD Max contained close to 4% formeldahyde instead of the "trace amounts" they purported. :nono:

Dang. :perplexed

I'm not sure what NUAAT is - google doesn't give me any info ...

One thing my hair stylist said was that peeps that had had BKT felt the GKHair Best wasn't as effective - it left their hair straighter but still curlier and didn't make it "weigh" as much as the BKT did (presumably because BKT bonds to the hair and weighs it down according to my stylist.) Which led me to believe that "The Best" wasn't as 'harsh' a treatment. :look: I'd love for my hair to have a looser curl (like when I texlaxed) without the relaxer component.

so it's the same active ingredient: Glyoxylic acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyoxylic_acid

So I take it that this isn't something you guys consider safe?

UGH.

:(

Sits back down on the "waiting for a DE supplier" bench. :ohwell:

Uniqzoe I popped into this thread and read NOTHING you had to say because your hair pics are so pretty :love4: Sorry. Pics distracted me :rofl:

carbocysteine ones are attached to the glyoxylic acid, but carry the synonym "oxoacetamide carbocysteine, instead of glyoxyloyl carbocysteine. Dove56, the QOD Max Organiq that everyone was going gaga over? I think the sulfite ones are "safest".

Dang. :perplexed

I'm not sure what NUAAT is - google doesn't give me any info ...

One thing my hair stylist said was that peeps that had had BKT felt the GKHair Best wasn't as effective - it left their hair straighter but still curlier and didn't make it "weigh" as much as the BKT did (presumably because BKT bonds to the hair and weighs it down according to my stylist.) Which led me to believe that "The Best" wasn't as 'harsh' a treatment. :look: I'd love for my hair to have a looser curl (like when I texlaxed) without the relaxer component.

So I take it that this isn't something you guys consider safe?

UGH.

:(

Sits back down on the "waiting for a DE supplier" bench. :ohwell:
I'm still in the wait and see camp for the glyoxyloyl/oxoacetamide carbocysteine. It "appears" to be safe, but I still want to know more. I'm not convinced. By the way, Design Essentials uses the same active ingredient.

^^^ I'm not even going to pretend like I understand all of the chemical terminology. I don't. Arocsi and DE seem to be similar. DE is harder to get and Arocsi is readily available. Are you ladies not interested in trying Arocsi, or was their customer service just terrible?
I'm in no rush to do the treatment, but I would like to try a test patch and like the rest of you, I want to choose the best product for my hair.

^^^ I'm not even going to pretend like I understand all of the chemical terminology. I don't. Arocsi and DE seem to be similar. DE is harder to get and Arocsi is readily available. Are you ladies not interested in trying Arocsi, or was their customer service just terrible?
I'm in no rush to do the treatment, but I would like to try a test patch and like the rest of you, I want to choose the best product for my hair.

i had no issues with arosci whatsoever. It's under my sink :look:

Kurlee, what's the active ingredient in Arosci? Is it better (safer), worse (harsher), or the same as the active ingredient in DE?

Back