Big ups to LadyLibra, this is for you...

Absolutely beautiful.

I really enjoyed watching the video. I hope to have hair like your one day.

Question: How do you flat iron your hair. What products and technique do you use?

Hey ladies, I took the plunge and made a slideshow vid like LadyLibra did earlier. I know many of you have seen my pics many times over the years, but I finally compiled my natural journey into this 7 minute vid. There are no captions, as I said earlier that the video site I used wouldn't allow the captions unless you pay for a subscription to the site and I don't know if I am ready to do that yet. Anywhoo, I hope you guys don't fall asleep while watching. :) Oh and excuse the music mix, they were the only two songs that I could find that didn't sound a hot mess in the free editing feature. As soon as I get time, I will use the youtube annotation feature and put the dates and descriptions of the pics. Check it out and let me know what I can do to improve it! Thanks for giving me that bit of courage LadyLibra, thanks for posting your vids... your hair and journey are so inspiring, especially to newbies! Ya know, we are old heads now. ;) Peace and love ladies!

P.S. I am still not showing my full face...I ain't ready ya'll, I ain't ready lol! Only you all know what I look like out here on the net. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFcGSffllQs

Thanks so much for that! Now I know what my hair will be like natural. I forgot! Our textures are the same. Your slide show has inspired me to continue transitioning. Thanks again.

Absolutely beautiful.

I really enjoyed watching the video. I hope to have hair like your one day.

Question: How do you flat iron your hair. What products and technique do you use?

Thanks again to all of you! As a natural, my technique used to be the following:

1)The all day(mainly Saturday) process - I used to airdry in twists about 80%, then blow dry. I would then take small sections and flat iron with the maxiglide, with the teeth. Tedious, very tedious...and I ain't for nuthin tedious. :nono2:

2)I graduated to a two day process - The 1st day being a wash, deep condition and airdry in twists (usually Saturday morning). I found that twists gave a deeper and less wave than a braid and the flat iron straightened twists better. The 2nd day when I knew the hair was dry (usually Sunday night and yes, I would wear the twists pulled back in bun for church :)), I would untwist each twist, without disturbing the coil, and run the flat iron through each one until the hair was straight. I used to use the maxiglide with the teeth. I don't use the teeth anymore though, I just use a brush or fine tooth comb for the very ends. I know it's confusing but once you do it a few times, you get the gist of it all.

3)What I do now being that my hair is now :takecover: TEXTURIZED as of February 2009!!!(Yes, I am now texturized, which is why my slideshow pics end at that date) :duck:

My technique is still pretty much as #2 above, now it's just doesn't take as long to straighten as it used to. I still don't straighten but maybe once every 2 months or so but I still airdry in twists and then flat iron with my maxi(without the teeth) and use a round brush or fine tooth comb when I get to the ends. I mainly use coconut oil or some kind of serum when I flat iron.

I had a lot of reasons to texturize after all of these years, but the main one was to cut down time on styling. I have found that my ends stay healthy by keeping them stretched out. I even considered big chopping again like Bubblin(we had to counsel each other, lol) did but decided against it for many reasons. I have done the blowout styling, the banding, the braiding, the twisting, the bunning, even the cutting it shorter, etc. I decided to go ahead and let it grow again and I knew this time once it got long, something would have to be done in terms of the ends knotting and tangling up. I have pretty much been there and done it ALL and the texturizer was the best option for me. I haven't had any problems yet(I retouched in May of this year) and honestly, don't think I will. I was relaxed from age 12 to age 24 and took very good care of my hair. I am now 32. My relaxed hair looked so good, if I do say so myself. I had that Oprah hair, shoot, you couldn't tell me nuthin! I have learned so much over the years that I know going back natural would be easy as pie for me. Well, enough of my reveal and hijack of my own thread, I hope this helps you out! Again, thanks to all of your compliments! :)

That was absolutely inspiring!! The only part I dreaded was when I saw the big chops (oh no - let it grow!). Very beautiful hair. Happy Growing!!

:thud:@ the thickness

Thanks for sharing your journey. This will be a go-to video for me whenever I need motivation as I transition.

Congrats on your progress!

That was an awesome video! Not boring at all. Your hair is lovely. I liked seeing it in all the different styles and at the various lengths.

Beautiful! I can't believe I missed this post for so long. I think we have similar hair types with the 3c in the back, 4a on the sides and front, and 4bish in the crown. It's inspirational to see what I have to look forward to. Thank you!

Back