~~~Big chop - 27.5 inches GONE!!! PICS!!!~~~

dachsies_rule!

Finally, all natural after transitioning for 20 weeks!
My story:
I had my first relaxer at age 7 after my momma couldn’t find anymore beauticians willing to press my hair. They said it was too thick and unmanageable (really they said nappy :ohwell:). My hair stayed thick up until about 6 years ago when it started breaking and thinning. Around the same time my scalp started to be sore constantly, so I went to a dermatologist. After he got over the shock that I had been putting lye on my head for 20+ years (every 5 weeks) he told me my days of relaxing were over. He said “you’re chewing up your skin with a harsh chemical and you’re asking me why your scalp is sore.” Well, I wasn’t trying to hear it, I was of the mentality of ‘relaxed til I die!’
So, I joined LHCF in 2007 and lurked until I finally got serious in 2009 (1st pic). I retained 7” the first year, but it was so thin looking because of the constant breakage (2nd pic). I self-trimmed 2.5” last July (3rd pic) but it still kept thinning. I let my stylist trim about 7” in October, up to the thickest part (4th pic). Three days before my Feb relaxer appt. I decided to transition. It had been in the back of my mind all these years, I just always assumed my hair was uncombable :lachen:(yeah, I made that up) without some type of chemical intervention. I had been talking to some ladies at my job that are natural and one of them said “grow it out and see what your texture is, if you don’t like it you can always relax again.”
So, my last relaxer was Dec 18th. In April I got another 8” cut to minimize the tangling between the 2 textures (5th pic). Last week, I was ready and went to get my BC (6th and 7th pic), another 10” gone(8th pic). She cut me down to 2” all around, I am so pleased with it. And with the hell-hotness of Texas, I’m gonna enjoy it until it grows out :grin:
Now the pics

OMG talk about commitment, you meant business!!!! WOW!! Congratulations!! I'm rambling but I'm really in awe...and no mention of a break down or tears lol! Go head girl wit yo natural self:lol:

Awww. I can't see the pics but this is the same thing a good friend of mine went through.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF app

Great job, your hair looks nice. I'm sure you won't regret it. Enjoy the summer with your little fro and rock headbands, cut hair clips etc. I'm just over a year post bc myself and after i got over the initial shock of having a small afro, i owned it and enjoyed it last summer!

Congrats!

Congrats, honey!!!!!!! :yay: And girl I am feelin u about this heat!! I'm prayin I make it thru the summer with my hair. I'm gonna be the master of updos by October! :lol:

I'm so happy for u tho. Make sure u keep us updated!

Oh and also, are you going to the Texas Black Expo, May 21-22nd? On saturday they have a natural hair exposition! I'm gonna try to go, if I can. :yep:

I loved your 4th pic, your hair looked pretty thick. Congratulations for going for what you want and sharing all your lovely pics. HHJ au natural!

Congrats, honey!!!!!!! :yay: And girl I am feelin u about this heat!! I'm prayin I make it thru the summer with my hair. I'm gonna be the master of updos by October! :lol:

I'm so happy for u tho. Make sure u keep us updated!

Oh and also, are you going to the Texas Black Expo, May 21-22nd? On saturday they have a natural hair exposition! I'm gonna try to go, if I can. :yep:

I'll have to see if i can make that, what time are u going?

Now THAT's a BC! Now you're making me feel like a punk for hanging on to these stringy ends a whole 1.5 years post-relaxer.

OMG!!! I am so proud of you! You better werk, girl! You hair is about to grow like bad weed. I've been in this thing for 2 years and 4 months and people lose their mind over how much hair is on my head. So thick you need a map to find my scalp. So enjoy that short cut in this heat while you can 'cause I can promise it's not gonna last for long.

Sounds like you made the right decision. It's better to put your health ahead of being relaxed. I am currently transitioning and look forward to following your journey! Thank-you for sharing :)

I don't know I think I would have let it grow out and just did little cuts to get rid of the thin hair but you were brave!!!

Back