Beware The Man With An Ulterior Motive

naturalmanenyc

http://andthatswhyyouresingle.com/2013/04/10/beware-the-man-with-an-ulterior-motive/

Beware The Man With An Ulterior Motive

April 10, 2013 by Andthatswhyyouresingle
Tweet
Name: BB
:
Comment: Okay, so I have been dating this guy for about a month and a half. After two weeks of talking every day and three dates, he asked me to be his girlfriend. I agreed, so I guess I should say my boyfriend. We are a lot a like and we always have fun when we are together. He is always a gentleman. He opens doors for me, walks me to my front door at the end of the date, and always pays. We were friends in high school, and when I asked where he thought we would be if I hadn’t changed schools at the end of our junior year, his answer without hesitation: We’d be married. He talks about us having children and grandchildren. We haven’t had sex because he said he wanted to build on our friendship from high school first. We do kiss, and there is plenty of chemistry between us.

Everything was going really well until my birthday. I will say that for one of our dates before my birthday, he showed up two hours late. He said that he tried a different way to get to my house from his parents’ house, and he got lost for about twenty minutes. He apologized, and I accepted along with explaining that his showing up late wasn’t acceptable because an ex of mine would make plans and then never show up. Okay, back to the day of my birthday. He called and wished me happy birthday just after midnight, which was very sweet. We made plans for him to join my family and I for dinner. He called about two hours before dinner and said he was on his way, but never showed. He called me five days later, but didn’t offer an explanation as to why he didn’t show.

Then he stopped calling and texting for two weeks. He texted me yesterday and said he felt lost. I asked him why, and he said his family just lost his childhood home. Then he told me that he had given up his apartment, before we started dating, in order to pay his parents’ bills. The reason he gave up his apartment is because it became really expensive for him to pay the bills at both places, so he started living out of his car. His job is about two hours from where his parents lived. He said that he was sorry for not talking to me, but he wanted to figure out how he was feeling about everything before telling me what was going on.

While I understand that he definitely could have handled the situation better, I don’t think that anything that has happened should mean the end of our relationship. My mom and sisters think his behavior has been horrible, and that I deserve better.

My question: Should his actions (being two hours late one time, not showing up another) speak louder than everything else? I need outside perspective.

City: Raleigh
State: North Carolina

I don’t think that anything that has happened should mean the end of our relationship.

You mean, other than the fact that he’s been living out of his car?
You seem to want to press on regardless of what’s going on in his life. That doesn’t really set a great tone for a relationship. What this all boils down to is that he can’t give you what you want. End scene. Lights are dimming. You don’t have to go home, but ya can’t stay here.

As I have said dozens and dozens of times: beware the man who commits too soon. 3 dates, no sex, and he wants to be your boyfriend? Red Flag. I’ll take a wild stab and suggest that he very well might have been trying to line up a place to live because of his financial situation. I know. I’m so suspicious!
Regardless of what his modus operandi might be, the facts remains that this guy has already shown you that he’s unreliable and unstable in various ways. Yet, despite the obvious tell-tale signs that something is amiss, you still want this guy to be your boyfriend. All you appear to be concerned about is whether or not you and this man have a relationship. You don’t care that he’s lost, you don’t care that he’s homeless. What is consuming your thoughts is whether or not you have someone to call #omigahboyfriend.

What you’re asking me, in a nutshell, is if it’s okay for you to disregard the fact that this guy bailed on your birthday and didn’t call you for a week, then called, then fell off the face of the earth. My answer is: No. No it’s not okay that you look past that. The rest of the stuff is what you should ignore, as it means nothing. This guy rushed you into a relationship, probably for a reason other than because he truly cared.Now he’s backing out.

We haven’t had sex because he said he wanted to build on our friendship from high school first. We do kiss, and there is plenty of chemistry between us.
Adorable! I just want to pinch his cheeks and eat him up with a spoon! But, yeah. No. I’m thinking that amazeballs chemistry is in your head.

I will say this again. Any man that commits to a woman before they have sex and after so little time is suspect. Maybe you forced his hand some way. I don’t know. What I know is that someone that eager to solidify a relationship has an ulterior motive.

I will say this again. Any man that commits to a woman before they have sex and after so little time is suspect.

She needs to take a break from dating and find a hobby or a passion.

I wouldn't have sex with a man before he committed to me. Also, the timeframe is not unusual to me given that they already knew each other and may have been in constant contact at that time.

I'd be leery of disregarding how he was a no-show on her birthday and basically disappeared for a few weeks after but him being homeless shouldn't be a problem now that the financial stress is gone. If his parents have lost their home then he should have money to get another apartment.

The real problem is the disappearing act. I hate to say it but in most cases, the disappearing act is a sign of cheating or other behavior that is disruptive to a relationship. The only time this was something different was when my college sweetheart's father died. He dropped off the face of the earth for 2 or 3 weeks and I eventually called his mother because I was concerned. She told me about his father passing and even asked me to not mention that she told me about it.

Possible drug problem. Disappears for days, going through a huge family/financial crisis, living out of his car. Throw that one back.

Him committing too soon is not an issue but the messiness of his life is. Guys don't take long to know if they want to be with you unless they decide to settle. As for the woman, wouldn't she want someone with more stability?

Last edited:
Him committing to soon is not an issue but the messiness of his life is. Guys don't take long to know if they want to be with you unless they decide to settle. As for the woman, wouldn't she want someone with more stability?

I really wish I understood this when I was younger.

I would not commit to a man unless I had sex with him. I need to know what I am committing to.

His parents are not fiscally responsible, he is not fiscally responsible, and he doesn't keep to his word. I don't know what else she needs to know.

I would not commit to a man unless I had sex with him. I need to know what I am committing to.

His parents are not fiscally responsible, he is not fiscally responsible, and he doesn't keep to his word. I don't know what else she needs to know.

No malice meant but that makes no sense to me.

Re the 'advice' why would it ever be suspect to commit without sex? Lol most women I know aren't sexing without a commitment which is why some men love to rush and call you their gf. You probably shouldn't be sleeping with negroes without some real commitment.

I thought that he was going to ask her to move in when the family had issues lol. I wouldn't stay with dude.

I understand this argument when it comes to marriage but I don't think its appropriate for the dating stage of a relationship. I personally want a commitment before sex because its important to me to not get my feelings wrapped up into someone that is still out there dating and sexing other people. Also, there is no way I would knowingly enter a sexual relationship with someone that may be having sex with someone else. Obviously there is no way to guarantee that someone will be truthful about this but that is part of the rationale for taking it slow. People that are dishonest will eventually reveal themselves through their actions.

Also, do we know that he isn't fiscally responsible? The only mention of finances was related to his parents and his sacrifices to help them. It may have been ill advised since they ultimately lost the house but it doesn't sound irresponsible.

Last edited:
if i were having sex with my dates, i would not commit until he goes to the doctor/clinic, submits his blood samples and tests negative for all STDs. hardcopy proof with appropriate date required. it is too real out here in these streets. :nono:

anyways the blogwriter missed the mark with his/her responses. this woman has more to worry about other than he is willing to commit to her too soon. the relationship (money, issues w/parents) sounds like more trouble than pleasure.

Last edited:
No malice meant but that makes no sense to me.

Re the 'advice' why would it ever be suspect to commit without sex? Lol most women I know aren't sexing without a commitment which is why some men love to rush and call you their gf. You probably shouldn't be sleeping with negroes without some real commitment.

I thought that he was going to ask her to move in when the family had issues lol. I wouldn't stay with dude.

It makes sense to me. I am not committing to a man until I know how he performs sexually. Sex is an extremely important part of a relationship to me. If you define commitment as "he called me is GF", then our perspectives differ.

I understand this argument when it comes to marriage but I don't think its appropriate for the dating stage of a relationship. I personally want a commitment before sex because its important to me to not get my feelings wrapped up into someone that is still out there dating and sexing other people. Also, there is no way I would knowingly enter a sexual relationship with someone that may be having sex with someone else. Obviously there is no way to guarantee that someone will be truthful about this but that is part of the rationale for taking it slow. People that are dishonest will eventually reveal themselves through their actions.

Also, do we know that he isn't fiscally responsible? The only mention of finances was related to his parents and his sacrifices to help them. It may have been ill advised since they ultimately lost the house but it doesn't sound irresponsible.

That a man calls you his GF does not a commitment make. You might be in the same position after sex as you would before he called you his GF. If that is your way of protecting yourself, it seems really weak. I like long dating. I like taking my time to know someone before deciding this person has a place in my life and I consider him and his feelings/wants/desires as I consider my own. Part of getting to know him for me involves sex. At that point, it is not going to work or we are going to build.

He is fiscally irresponsible. Houses don't go under in a minute. The issue with his parent's house must have been going on for a while and he made all the wrong decisions to save it. Not the smartest tool in the shed. Where are his savings?

No one here said that all it takes is being somebody's GF. I mentioned being committed and taking time to get to know the person. For me, that means were are dating without sex even after I'm his lady. I don't have a set period of time for this as it depends on the person and the relationship.

I'm not judging your decision to have sex without a commitment but I don't appreciate your implying that my decision is weak just because you don't agree with it.

This man is unstable and needs to get his life together. He should not want to date because he can not even provide the basics for himself (i.e. shelter). Some women are so quick accept ANYTHING and ignore Everything!!!

Honestly I don't consider anything less than engagement a commitment. Most men feel the same way, so ITA.
I need to sample the goods.

No one here said that all it takes is being somebody's GF. I mentioned being committed and taking time to get to know the person. For me, that means were are dating without sex even after I'm his lady. I don't have a set period of time for this as it depends on the person and the relationship.

I'm not judging your decision to have sex without a commitment but I don't appreciate your implying that my decision is weak just because you don't agree with it.

Didn't imply that. Not sure what you are being extra sensitive about.

Some women need too much information. She has enough to run for the hills.

...this was my thought. I said this very thing to my cousin today. What else do you need to toss him back and keep fishing?

She seems young and all I can think about is all the time young women waste(time, thoughts, energy ...enough to write a letter to someone about it atleast) on men like this.

It makes sense to me. I am not committing to a man until I know how he performs sexually. Sex is an extremely important part of a relationship to me. If you define commitment as "he called me is GF", then our perspectives differ.

That a man calls you his GF does not a commitment make. You might be in the same position after sex as you would before he called you his GF. If that is your way of protecting yourself, it seems really weak. I like long dating. I like taking my time to know someone before deciding this person has a place in my life and I consider him and his feelings/wants/desires as I consider my own. Part of getting to know him for me involves sex. At that point, it is not going to work or we are going to build.

He is fiscally irresponsible. Houses don't go under in a minute. The issue with his parent's house must have been going on for a while and he made all the wrong decisions to save it. Not the smartest tool in the shed. Where are his savings?

No, commitment to me is a ring and a date. I'll be a virgin until my wedding night. Idk I just find it weird when people say that because sex is Like 5% of a relationship. Maximum.
So like if you're vibing with a man .bd he is super great in most areas but hes not good in bed you'd leave or do you mean something different? (if I'm not being too in your business lol!)
Like I don't get what sex changes butter I'm told its because I've never had it. Lol

No, commitment to me is a ring and a date. I'll be a virgin until my wedding night. Idk I just find it weird when people say that because sex is Like 5% of a relationship. Maximum.
So like if you're vibing with a man .bd he is super great in most areas but hes not good in bed you'd leave or do you mean something different? (if I'm not being too in your business lol!)
Like I don't get what sex changes butter I'm told its because I've never had it. Lol

who are these people? Is this a man other than your daddy telling you this?

%5 is almost non-existent. :lachen::lachen:

We would not have gone further if we were sexually incompatible. Can't do it. Love sex.

Didn't imply that. Not sure what you are being extra sensitive about.

You called my decision weak and now you call me extra sensitive. I'm not the one with a problem. Its called a conversation. Why can't you engage in it without resorting to this?

who are these people? Is this a man other than your daddy telling you this?

%5 is almost non-existent. :lachen::lachen:

Telling me what?
Like I said sex shouldn't be Thqts important. Like it shouldn't make or break anything. So he's good so he's bad ok and what is going on the other 23 hours of your day together?

Like id never stay with a horrible man because he's great in bed and id never leave a man cause he sucks. Idk and I said percent cause to me sex is super negligible in a relationship.

Back