Being Natural Is Something We Will Always Have to Ourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this convo were going on in my mom's house, she would say, "Blessed is the peacemaker," and we would all just sheddup.
I knew exactly what was meant by "natural". However, I do realize that "we" tend to leave out a whole bunch of great LHCF women when we use it that way (to mean kinky curly).

Two of the most beautiful things about this forum is the diversity-- this includes hair types-- and the unity.

On a side-note, I have come across quite a few Jewfros and Irish...fros.. Black women are not the only ones who can rock a fro. But I do love my type 4 hair. It certainly feels unique to me.
Yes, I think she did have to break it down like that because we're not the only people in the world who can be natural, and quite frankly we're not the only people on this earth that can have naturally kinky hair. But good luck on your transition OP.

If this convo were going on in my mom's house, she would say, "Blessed is the peacemaker," and we would all just sheddup.
I knew exactly what was meant by "natural". However, I do realize that "we" tend to leave out a whole bunch of great LHCF women when we use it that way (to mean kinky curly).

Two of the most beautiful things about this forum is the diversity-- this includes hair types-- and the unity.

On a side-note, I have come across quite a few Jewfros and Irish...fros.. Black women are not the only ones who can rock a fro. But I do love my type 4 hair. It certainly feels unique to me.
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: @ the bolded, I'm gonna use that now :grin:

OKAY I'm on my phone and I can't figure out how to attach pictures, but if you Google "Japanese or Korean Afro perm" you'll find lots of pics.

ETA: OK Here you are:

bombhead_monsters_hair_works_08333.jpg

bombhead_monsters_hair_works_084025.jpg

http://www.bombhead.com/bbs/data/monsters_hair_works/bombhead_monsters_hair_works_08311.jpg

Last edited:
I'm unsure as to why this thread has become a debate. Lol. I completely understand you OP.
As Black women we are the only race that as a whole have a naturally kinky/curly hair texture. Yes there are some Jewish women that have afro textures. Yes there are some Black women that have straight hair. But in general as a whole we are the only group of women that have the unique challenges and benefits that go along with having our hair. If that weren't true, we wouldn't all be on a board that's tagline is "The Ultimate Hair and Beauty Resource for Women of Color"

As far as Asians doing stuff to make their hair appear kinky, that doesn't really speak to the OP's observation that we are the only ones who have this hair in its natural state.

Wow...just wow! My Ephiphany / Observation (that I will keep). Each to his own!

Come on now - don't be like that. It's all LOVE. Me....I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I knew exactly what you meant. I'm just saying, others are wanting that "natural" look too. And they are doing it because they want to be like us!

We're just having a really lively discussion :grin:. That's all. Please don't take your toys and go home. PLEASE! :yawn:

Last edited:
How misguiding can my thread be when over 50% of the Hair Forum topics is on LHCF members (African American Women) going NATURAL. It was EXTREMELY OBVIOUS I wasn't referring to the texture of a white women or latina women's natural hair.

Wait!! You'll have to change that! I'm Latina, my hair is nappy, I'm one of those natural people you're referring to :ohwell:

:lachen:

Wow..someone starts a positive thread and someone just has to come in asking obvious questions to take away from it.

Yes..other races can have natural hair-obvious..

How many other races go around calling their hair 'natural' tho? Not any that I know of..
And this IS a blk hair board so...:look:
ANYWAY, nice thread OP. The asians HAVE found a way to hijack our natural hair look tho :ohwell:

Not for nuthin'.. and I don't even like Asian guys like that... but I saw an Asian guy on the subway with the BIGGEST 4b AFRO I had ever seen. I stared in amazement and wondered how the heck he got that awesome afro. Now I know! Yes I stared cuz I thought he was so fly LOL

I'm unsure as to why this thread has become a debate. Lol. I completely understand you OP.
As Black women we are the only race that as a whole have a naturally kinky/curly hair texture. Yes there are some Jewish women that have afro textures. Yes there are some Black women that have straight hair. But in general as a whole we are the only group of women that have the unique challenges and benefits that go along with having our hair. If that weren't true, we wouldn't all be on a board that's tagline is "The Ultimate Hair and Beauty Resource for Women of Color"

As far as Asians doing stuff to make their hair appear kinky, that doesn't really speak to the OP's observation that we are the only ones who have this hair in its natural state.

Thank you...Very Well Put! Sometimes it as if we are our own worst enemy. A simple statement to promote one of the beauties from being born African American goes south.

Most of us have full lips...that look can be achieved with work. Most of us are known for having a curvy shape, that look can be achieved with work but the beautiful the look of a tru nice natural curly or kinky/curly fro is kind of hard to achieve and just "out of place"...lol!

Wow..someone starts a positive thread and someone just has to come in asking obvious questions to take away from it.

How many other races go around calling their hair 'natural' tho? Not any that I know of..
ANYWAY, nice thread OP. The asians HAVE found a way to hijack our natural hair look tho :ohwell:

ahhahahahaa<---exactly, and ahahaha again cuz that junk was funny as all

what i really want to know is how them asians do that? cuz i got a lil hot seeing that asian guy with a fro, reminds me of my ex..

I swear, I am falling off my chair laughing!!:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:
You are out of control, girl!!

Seriously, I don't know how they do it, but they sure figured it out. And yea, he is kinda hot.

Yes, I think she did have to break it down like that because we're not the only people in the world who can be natural, and quite frankly we're not the only people on this earth that can have naturally kinky hair. But good luck on your transition OP.

True. I saw an old white lady at the market the other day, and she was sporting a 3c/4a fro. :look:

Several years ago I dated an Asian guy (Chinese) who had an afro. It was his natural texture though. This was before they learned to do it chemically. I saw pics of his parents and they both had really thick hair but it looked a lot straighter than his.

^^^Maybe it can reverse relaxers L0L.. I wanna know too.. anywho ♥ ur thread OP my natural hair has been givin me the blues and I need to hear stuff like this every now "& then.. Thanks !!

This is a hair forum for WOMEN OF COLOR. Not all women of color are black, as BostonMaria so graciously pointed out.

OP's observation was a nice one, and I understood what she meant. However I also plainly understand the point the other poster was making. We are intelligent women here (I'd like to think, anyway:look:). So, let's not act like none of us understood either side of that lil debate. Geez.:yawn:

Last edited:
Wait!! You'll have to change that! I'm Latina, my hair is nappy, I'm one of those natural people you're referring to :ohwell:

:lachen:

Exactly. Plenty of Latina women, Jewish women, etc. with kinky hair. There was a whole thread with pics of kinky hair from around the world.

Why is it taking away from the thread for someone to express a different view? The way OP stated it was not literally true, even though most of us knew what she meant. I think everyone of the planet has versatile hair.

@ the second part....I just don't get it. We complain when other races shun our culture, and we complain even more when they embrace it. While I disagree with things like Asian people wearing black face, I don't see the problem with them choosing to change their hair texture, the same way that 85% of black women do at some point in their lives.

That's just not natural... :nono:

No, but it's versatile. They can go from straight type 1 hair to kinky type 4 hair, just like we can.

what i really want to know is how them asians do that? cuz i got a lil hot seeing that asian guy with a fro, reminds me of my ex..

Curly perms, I believe set on very, very small rods. The same thing (white) people with straight hair have done for many years. I could be wrong, though, because I didn't try to look it up. I've seen the look before.

I will say that I don't think Asians getting curly perms necessarily means they "understand" or "admire" black culture. For them, the afros are cool, whereas in our culture we were ridiculed for wearing our natural texture. Two totally different experiences.

The Asians are getting in on the dreads too...

He's a snowboarder who started fashion controversy because of his tie...
large.jpg

I can't believe that's the same person
KazuhiroKokubo_1578346c.jpg

ETA: He has more swagger in the 2nd pic, very different to me from when yt people do it.

Oh and I understood what OP meant, regardless, we do have lots a versatility.

Last edited:
This thread is too funny.

Nobody's telling OP to keep her observation to herself...it's wonderful that's she's happy and proud of her natural texture.
But to say that natural texture belongs only to us is just incorrect. As for the "natural look"...like other people have said, other races and people can have kinky hair too...it's not just black people.

And IMO, you're going to get counterarguments any time you try to claim that x trait belongs only to z race.
I really can't think of any trait that is exclusive to any one race. The racial spectrum is just too broad for that to be true.

maybe some people are offended... tha tdon't fit into the category of what the op was saying is 'natural' and 'true natrual... as if looser hair types, or even straight hair (which some people here may have) is not natural or 'true natural' like kinky hair.

but whateva. ♥

Wow. Just. Wow!

When I read the subject of this thread, I knew EXACTLY what she meant and I never thought it would turn to what it did. :eh:

Now that the thrill is gone, so am I. :cowgirl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back