Baggie Challenge ***Update Month 5***

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Hey Ladies! :wave:

It's time to update for the baggie challenge. How is everyone doing?

Are you all still bagging it up? How are your ends are you gaining length?

Post your progress here!

Details details please!!

My ends are looking great. I am using castor oil and monoi in my baggie on dry hair. It keeps my ends thick, straight, and well moisturized. I still use the baggie method 5 days a week. I take a break from it on the weekends. I love this challenge!!!

I'll admit....... I've been a bad girl! I've done a lousy job of using the baggie. I have been using pure shea butter for my daily moisturizer and faithfully wearing my bun. I haven't really needed to to the baggie because the shea butter has done such a good job of keeping my ends moisturized.

The good news is I did go back to doing the baggie last night. I'll try harder this month.

lthomas1 said:
My ends are looking great. I am using castor oil and monoi in my baggie on dry hair. It keeps my ends thick, straight, and well moisturized. I still use the baggie method 5 days a week. I take a break from it on the weekends. I love this challenge!!!
I think I will try this instead of everyday! I am glad to hear you are doing well!

simplycee said:
I'll admit....... I've been a bad girl! I've done a lousy job of using the baggie. I have been using pure shea butter for my daily moisturizer and faithfully wearing my bun. I haven't really needed to to the baggie because the shea butter has done such a good job of keeping my ends moisturized.

The good news is I did go back to doing the baggie last night. I'll try harder this month.
Well, you have to stick with what works! How do you use the shea burrer. I am interested?

My ends are doing well, but I've taken a break from the bun. I got tired of looking at it, I'm now wearing a half wig and doing a modified baggie method at night. I'm putting a plastic cap over my moisturized braids.

Its become so much apart of my life now. I did have to cut back on products but I think I have a routine so the hair isn;t to oily or dry. I spray with water after appying my shea recipe and that is good for several days.

No new length, Hard to tell on the waist hair. Ends are good. Exposed crown still needs extra care. :)

Ends are good. No splits ANYWHERE that I can see, and I haven't had a trim since Jan. Don't plan on trimming 'til next Jan! ;)

dontspeakdefeat said:
Well, you have to stick with what works! How do you use the shea butter. I am interested?

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner. I have been experimenting with shea butter for about a month. I have found that for my hair the unrefined works best. I use it on dry hair. After my wash regemin I put my hair in a bun. When my hair is about 90% dry I apply shea butter (I put a half dollar size in my hand, rub together until oil consistancy) and apply to my hair root to tip. I put just a little more on my ends and bun up. I do this once a day. I cover my bun with a baggie at night (when I'm being good) and tie down with a scarf. When I get up in the morning my hair is smooth and feels moisturized with out feeling oily.

The key, for me, is not to mix any other product with it. So once my hair is dry from my wash shea butter is the ONLY moisturizer I use until the next wash day. I was worried that it wouldn't rinse out when I did my co wash but that wasn't the case.

By the way my daughter's natural hair loves this stuff too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't in the original baggie challenge but I took it upon myself to hop on! I hope ya'll don't mind...

Simplycee, I'm loving shea butter too... I do similar to what you say, but I use other stuff too, mainly NTM Leave In. My ends are loving this! I usually have a baggie but even when I don't, the shea butter is keeping them moist. I do need a trim due to about an inch of damaged ends, but they are not splitting and now I'm confident that once I do trim, I can keep them healthy.

I mainly baggie during the week and wear my hair out on the weekends. I think the 5 day baggie method helps my ends to recover from the weekend abuse I put them through (heat, sun, etc.).

My ends are good, I gave myself my first light dusting of the year in April. I condition wash every day apply mtg oil to my scalp and ends then bag it. At night I removed the bag let it dry then oil the ends.

simplycee said:
Sorry I didn't answer this sooner. I have been experimenting with shea butter for about a month. I have found that for my hair the unrefined works best. I use it on dry hair. After my wash regemin I put my hair in a bun. When my hair is about 90% dry I apply shea butter (I put a half dollar size in my hand, rub together until oil consistancy) and apply to my hair root to tip. I put just a little more on my ends and bun up. I do this once a day. I cover my bun with a baggie at night (when I'm being good) and tie down with a scarf. When I get up in the morning my hair is smooth and feels moisturized with out feeling oily.

The key, for me, is not to mix any other product with it. So once my hair is dry from my wash shea butter is the ONLY moisturizer I use until the next wash day. I was worried that it wouldn't rinse out when I did my co wash but that wasn't the case.

By the way my daughter's natural hair loves this stuff too.
Wow! This may be better than vaseline for the baggie. I need to get some for my daughter's newly natural hair. Thanks!

Yes, I'm still sticking with it and I have gotten major growth and when I check my ends they are thick, moist and barely any splits. I love the baggies.

Okay I have been slipping. I havent used the baggie in a while but I hope to start again soon. I too have been using shea butter faithfully so that might be why. I will try to start using the baggie a night again or maybe planning on getting one of those comfy grip caps to wear under my fall during the day.

I'm taking a break until my next touch up (June). I learned that baggy and braids don't mix :nono:. I was doing the baggy with braids at night and would wash my hair 2-3 times each week, but the baggy caused my hair to smell FUNKY :eek:. Even stranger, I would wake up in the morning with my hair nice and moist, I'd add my leave ins, but by mid-day my braids would be bone-dry! I haven't had this problem since I stopped the baggie, I haven't changed my leave ins. I haven't given up on it tho! Just not with braids.

Back