***Let's Do a Baggie Challenge***

Re: ***Let\'s Do a Baggie Challenge***

atlien I have a pic of a beaded crocheted bun cover in my album. I also bought 4 more from Claire's today /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
I was thinking about baggie method all night last night. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif But I don't know when I will start this challenge...I know it won't be today. Probably after my school is out for Christmas break which is after Dec 3rd. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, I'm thinking about using my mixture of oils and S-Curl to put in my baggie. I want to get a wavy phony-pony and a straight one to wear over the baggie when I go out to school, work, store, special occasions, etc. When I'm around my apartment, I'll just wear a scarf around my head. I will wear this 1-2 weeks straight up until my next wash. To keep the rest of my hair smooth, I'll use my Silk Elements glossing polish or styling gel. Each day, I plan on spraying Surge Plus 14 on the exposed hair (for my scalp).

Since I'm transitioning, I'm debating whether I should do the baggie method or braids...what do you think would be the best way to grow out my hair??? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I quitted the baggie challenge. It just didn't work out for me. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

I am in on this challenge!
Hi DSD! /images/graemlins/weird.gif

My computer is down..and I hate using my friends puter.

Consider me in.

Hi DSD /images/graemlins/wave.gif. I am in. I am doing it the way my family did when they had Jheri curls even though I never had one. I put some long aid curl activator and put the bag on in the evening and right before I go to bed I take it off so my hair can dry a little and sleep in my silk bonnet. I can't wait until June. My hair will probably be below bra strap.

Hi, I'm new to the board. My name is natrlchallenge. Is there a way to do the baggie method with short hair. I had a bad relaxer incident and had to cut my hair. Any info u give is appreciated. Thanx

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
I was thinking about baggie method all night last night. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif But I don't know when I will start this challenge...I know it won't be today. Probably after my school is out for Christmas break which is after Dec 3rd. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, I'm thinking about using my mixture of oils and S-Curl to put in my baggie. I want to get a wavy phony-pony and a straight one to wear over the baggie when I go out to school, work, store, special occasions, etc. When I'm around my apartment, I'll just wear a scarf around my head. I will wear this 1-2 weeks straight up until my next wash. To keep the rest of my hair smooth, I'll use my Silk Elements glossing polish or styling gel. Each day, I plan on spraying Surge Plus 14 on the exposed hair (for my scalp).

Since I'm transitioning, I'm debating whether I should do the baggie method or braids...what do you think would be the best way to grow out my hair??? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I quitted the baggie challenge. It just didn't work out for me. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to see ya go. /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

[ QUOTE ]
fletgee said:
I am in on this challenge!
Hi DSD! /images/graemlins/weird.gif

My computer is down..and I hate using my friends puter.

Consider me in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Fletgee!! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Glad to have you! Good luck!!

[ QUOTE ]
brickhouse said:
Hi DSD /images/graemlins/wave.gif. I am in. I am doing it the way my family did when they had Jheri curls even though I never had one. I put some long aid curl activator and put the bag on in the evening and right before I go to bed I take it off so my hair can dry a little and sleep in my silk bonnet. I can't wait until June. My hair will probably be below bra strap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Luck!!

I am glad that more ladies have decided to join. Make sure to take before pictures to help keep up with your progress!!

Good Luck to all!!

I didn't read all the pages of this thread so pardon me if this has been addressed, but to do the baggie method do you have to wear a phony pony tail? Are some people just wearing the baggie when they sleep?

ETA: Ne'ermind! Found Sengschick's post about the french roll... /images/graemlins/spinning.gif

Okay I'm in!

But I was wondering if I could use moisturizing conditioner in my plastic baggie, ie. V05, Suave etc? I still put oil in my baggie sometimes but I thought that a little change might be good (more experimental. What do you guys think?

Cinnabuns, I use elasta qp recovery and some mix of oils /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i am definitely in! i need something to help me grow my hair back from this accutane treatment. I need something to cover my bun though.

Cinnabuns said:
Okay I'm in!

But I was wondering if I could use moisturizing conditioner in my plastic baggie, ie. V05, Suave etc? I still put oil in my baggie sometimes but I thought that a little change might be good (more experimental. What do you guys think?
This depends on what kind of topical things your hair can tolerate. Try it for a week and see how your hair fares. I've put conditioner on my hair and left it on and found that the longer I did this, the drier and duller my hair became.

Last edited:

dontspeakdefeat said:
With all of the buzz going on about how wonderful the baggie technique is ( I can certainly testify to that) let's go for it and start a challenge.

The object is to use the baggie on a daily basis to retain as much length as possible.

With the baggie you should be able to go the entire length of time on the challenge without trimming because the baggie helps keep the ends so moisturized that they won't even think of splittin.

If you have no idea of what the baggie technique is, here is a visual: How to do the baggie technique

You may improvise and do it however it works best for you and use whatever oils you like as long as you have it all bagged up!

Any takers?

I think it should last 6 months so that way we can see if it is really beneficial( I already know it is though).

I think you will find your ends in better condition and you will also find that you have retained all of your growth when this challenge is over.

Good Luck to all!

I will check back at the beginning of each month to see how everyone is doing. It will start December 1, 2004 and Last to June 1, 2005.

P.S. It's o.k. not to wear the baggie on certain or special occasions. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ETA: This may also be done on dry hair!!

DSD and others on this board -- exactly how does the baggie method work if people's hair does not react well to S-Curl? I used S-Curl all over my head along with leave-in conditioner and the S-Curl left my hair coated in a kind of gelatinous way. Is there another product that I can use for my hair in the baggie? Does the hair have to be wet? I noticed that I was losing about three hairs when I was taking the baggie out at night -- and I had not even really combed my hair? What gives? Am I doing this incorrectly? I would really like to join this challenge, but only if it will help my hair to grow. Thanks a lot.

tryn2growmyhair said:
DSD and others on this board -- exactly how does the baggie method work if people's hair does not react well to S-Curl? I used S-Curl all over my head along with leave-in conditioner and the S-Curl left my hair coated in a kind of gelatinous way. Is there another product that I can use for my hair in the baggie? Does the hair have to be wet? I noticed that I was losing about three hairs when I was taking the baggie out at night -- and I had not even really combed my hair? What gives? Am I doing this incorrectly? I would really like to join this challenge, but only if it will help my hair to grow. Thanks a lot.

Hi, tryn2growmyhair :wave: (cute name)

My hair doesn't tolerate S-Curl or any other glycerin product too well. It's not necessary to do the baggie trick. Just saturate the length to be covered with the products of your choice. I prefer a creamy leave-in or two (winter here is super-dry and cold) on damp hair then slathering my braid with vaseline before tucking it into a bun, covering it w/a baggie, and putting on a phonytail. I've had nothing but positive results.

Also, your hair normally sheds, I believe, 50-100 hairs daily, so 3 hairs a night is nothing to worry about. [if you have a pet that sheds, you know that even though it seems s/he constantly sheds, s/he never goes bald, right? same for us.] HTH and Happy Hair Growing.

Nyambura said:
Hi, tryn2growmyhair :wave: (cute name)

My hair doesn't tolerate S-Curl or any other glycerin product too well. It's not necessary to do the baggie trick. Just saturate the length to be covered with the products of your choice. I prefer a creamy leave-in or two (winter here is super-dry and cold) on damp hair then slathering my braid with vaseline before tucking it into a bun, covering it w/a baggie, and putting on a phonytail. I've had nothing but positive results.

Also, your hair normally sheds, I believe, 50-100 hairs daily, so 3 hairs a night is nothing to worry about. [if you have a pet that sheds, you know that even though it seems s/he constantly sheds, s/he never goes bald, right? same for us.] HTH and Happy Hair Growing.

Thanks so much for this advice. Also, what effects did the glycerin products have on your hair? I just wanted to know to see if they were having the same effect on mine.

What leave-ins do you use? Also, how often do you put the leave-ins on? Every day or only when you wash? I am finding that my hair in the baggy dries more than I would like if I do not remoisturize each day, so I'd love to hear more about this.

Sorry about all the questions, but you seem to be one of the rare people on this board who S-Curl also does not agree with so I am just trying to find out more about how you solved this dilemma.

I am in, but I will switch between braids, ponies, wigs....Question about the baggie...Do you have to use activator along with oils?....or can you use the oils without activator?

hottopic said:
I am in, but I will switch between braids, ponies, wigs....Question about the baggie...Do you have to use activator along with oils?....or can you use the oils without activator?

This is my question, too.

hottopic said:

S-curl is my staple item to smooth down my hair. For the baggie hair, I use whatever oil, creme, conditioner, etc is within reach.(LOL) I have purchased and created so many hair moisture "stuff" that I am trying to use them all. I have noticed that when I use liquid or oily jelly stuff (ie. various oils..castor, almond, jojoba, oil & water concoction; S-curl) my hair ends stay damp and I can go every other day without adding more product to my ends. When I use the creme stuff (ie. conditioner, shea butter, mango butter) my hair ends absorb the creme and I have to apply product to my ends in the am and the pm. But...the best thing about the creme is that in a pinch if I need to wear my hair loose, I can.

Just experiment and listen to your hair....it will let you know what it likes and doesn't like!!!!

I know it's a little late to join, but please count me in starting Jan. 1, 2005.
I'm aiming for 100% baggie usage at night, and 75% baggie during the day.
- R

Count me in! :) I've been doing baggies with buns (24/7) and braids (at night only) since November, so in June it will be 8 months for me. The only thing is that I won't be able to take any pictures until late January or early February, when I get my touchup. I'm currently in braids and my last picture was Nov. 1 when I got my touch up and I cut 2" (frustrated with breakage, regret this) of my hair since then.

mzjones

den1 said:
DSD!!! you bad woman, don't tempt me to take on another challenge. Or i'd have to rebuke you in the name of Jesus, then start reciting the Lord's prayers. Good luck!!! everyone.
I just saw this post for the first time! Oops!

So you gonna join us or what!! :poke:

Back