Ayurveda Support Thread

I just did the paste treament last night for the first time with Alma and Shikakai powders. Should I do this everyday or how many times a week should I be using these powders?

Now that I am comfortable with powders I am ready to branch out into oils. I have vatika frosting so I won't be buying vatika oil. I was thinking of jasmine, amla, brahmi, hibiscus, and I also saw a brahmi amla. What do you think? Any others? TIA.

I agree but I want to infuse my own as I hate mineral oil, I would rather use cheap cooking oil then mineral oil LOL.

what you do is put your herbs i oil in a low heat oven for minimum an hour and then strain and voila amla, shikaki or whatever oil.

This may be a silly question to ask, but I noticed that everyone who uses the Amla Oil use it as a pre poo, is it ok to just used the oil and not wash it out????

Got my alma oil, brahmi powder, shikakai powder, and shikakai poo bar today! Still waiting on the rest of my shipment. I couldn't wait to use my stuff so I pre poo with Alma oil, washed with the shikakai poo bar, mixed 1 tspn of brahmi powder with my conditioner and rinsed and I LOVED it! It even brought back some of my curl pattern that had went straight on the back and sides.

Oh btw is this a good way to go about using my powders and oil? When I get my Vitka I plan to add that to my pre poo. And I will alternate the shikakai powder brew with the poo bar. I will also make tea rinses with alma, brahmi, kalpi tone powders. What do you ladies think?

Sorry about any misspelled words...I'm knew at this, lol.

Last edited:
I just did the paste treament last night for the first time with Alma and Shikakai powders. Should I do this everyday or how many times a week should I be using these powders?

:blush: Sorry I'm just seeing this, no you do not want to do Shikakai and Amla everyday, :nono: Shikakai is very drying and can be stripping if not used properly. Amla is very acidic, it's not as drying as the Shikakai but you still want to proceed with caution till you see what your hair can take. I would start out with once a week and go from there.

Ladies, is Maka Brhingraj the same as Mahabrihngraj? is it just a typo or spelling diff?
oh I found these powders and oils on www.amazon.com that's even better they deliver super fast. hth
http://www.amazon.com/Hesh-Brahmi-Herbal-Powder-100g/dp/B000JWO7EY/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_1

Mahabhringraj oil has Bhringraj in it as well as other herbs, it's in a Sesame oil base. Maha means "great". Due to its ingredients, Mahabhringraj Oil is more potent and calming than regular Bhringraj Oil.
I use to use it every night because it helps me sleep. I don't know if she carries it, but a lot of ladies have ordered from here with super fast shipping, good prices, and I think she even offers a discount.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=385862

ETA: Maka is another name for Bhringraj

Last edited:
Hey, has anyone tried this? I just bought it from the Indian market.

Skin toneup powder by Hesh

ETA:To remove bold text.

Last edited:
Mahabhringraj oil has Bhringraj in it as well as other herbs, it's in a Sesame oil base. Maha means "great". Due to its ingredients, Mahabhringraj Oil is more potent and calming than regular Bhringraj Oil.
I use to use it every night because it helps me sleep. I don't know if she carries it, but a lot of ladies have ordered from here with super fast shipping, good prices, and I think she even offers a discount.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=385862

ETA: Maka is another name for Bhringraj
Actually I've been using the powder mahabhringraj and I saw just the bhringraj powder and I wanted to make skure it's the same. I haven't tried the oils.

Actually I've been using the powder mahabhringraj and I saw just the bhringraj powder and I wanted to make skure it's the same. I haven't tried the oils.
Where did you get the powder? I've order on amazon and gotten the deal for brahmi but not this powder.

I did my first tea rinse today. I was wondering if the more knowledgeable/experienced could critique it for the next time I plan on doing this!

I pre-oiled my hair with Vatika oil first. In 8 oz of boiling water I steeped half a teaspoon of shikakai and 1 tsp each of maka, brahmi, and amla powders for 45 minutes. (The powders were in a disposable tea bag.) I added it to two cups of room temperature water. In the shower, I poured the mixture over my hair without rinsing out the Vatika oil. I put on a cap and basically hung out in the bathroom for ten minutes. :grin: Then I rinsed for about a minute and added in some VO5 to detangle. Then I rinsed that very well and added in a deep conditioner (I used a little ORS Replinishing treatment because I want to use it up and some AOHSR because I am trying it out.) An hour later I rinsed that out and applied my moisturiser.

I have to say, as others have remarked, after rinsing out the tea my hair felt so nice I almost felt like I could skip conditioning. My hair is dry now (I air dried) and it still feels very soft. I am having a hard time keeping my hands out of it!

My issues were that I had quite a lot of broken hair. Was there something wrong with my routine, or do I just need a better conditioner? Is there a recipe that helps curb breakage?

The other issue was that my hair is not as coily. Is there a way to get my curl definition back? I still had a lot of coils, but not as much as I am used to. What can I do?

Critiques? Comments? Advice?

Thanks in advance! :rosebud:

I did my first tea rinse today. I was wondering if the more knowledgeable/experienced could critique it for the next time I plan on doing this!

I pre-oiled my hair with Vatika oil first. In 8 oz of boiling water I steeped half a teaspoon of shikakai and 1 tsp each of maka, brahmi, and amla powders for 45 minutes. (The powders were in a disposable tea bag.) I added it to two cups of room temperature water. In the shower, I poured the mixture over my hair without rinsing out the Vatika oil. I put on a cap and basically hung out in the bathroom for ten minutes. :grin: Then I rinsed for about a minute and added in some VO5 to detangle. Then I rinsed that very well and added in a deep conditioner (I used a little ORS Replenishing treatment because I want to use it up and some AOHSR because I am trying it out.) An hour later I rinsed that out and applied my moisturizer.

I have to say, as others have remarked, after rinsing out the tea my hair felt so nice I almost felt like I could skip conditioning. My hair is dry now (I air dried) and it still feels very soft. I am having a hard time keeping my hands out of it!

My issues were that I had quite a lot of broken hair. Was there something wrong with my routine, or do I just need a better conditioner? Is there a recipe that helps curb breakage?

The other issue was that my hair is not as coily. Is there a way to get my curl definition back? I still had a lot of coils, but not as much as I am used to. What can I do?

Critiques? Comments? Advice?

Thanks in advance! :rosebud:

I actually use more water to dilute my tea after I steep it, could it be that it may have been a little strong for your hair? As far as the broken hair is concerned, are you sure it wasn't shed hair? If not you probably need to go back and do a protein treatment like Aphogee or Motions CPR to stop the breakage. The powders are known for loosening up the texture. Except Amla, it's said to create texture, So you might try doing a rinse with it after you address the breakage.

Last edited:
I actually use more water to dilute my tea after I steep it, could it be that it may have been a little strong for your hair? As far as the broken hair is concerned, are you sure it wasn't shed hair? If not you probably need to go back and do a protein treatment like Aphogee or Motions CPR to stop the breakage. The powders are known for loosening up the texture. Except Amla, it's said to create texture, So you might try doing a rinse with it after you address the breakage.
Some of it may have been shed hair, but a lot were little pieces. It stopped by the time I got to the DC part. I was just shocked!

Should I be using 3 cups of plain water to 1 cup of the tea? Or how much should I dilute it?

When you say do an amla rinse, do you mean to make a tea with just amla? Would I follow the same procedure, i.e. steeping for a while, leaving it on for ten minutes, etc.?

Thanks!

Some of it may have been shed hair, but a lot were little pieces. It stopped by the time I got to the DC part. I was just shocked!

Should I be using 3 cups of plain water to 1 cup of the tea? Or how much should I dilute it?

When you say do an amla rinse, do you mean to make a tea with just amla? Would I follow the same procedure, i.e. steeping for a while, leaving it on for ten minutes, etc.?

Thanks!

Yes with just Amla, then dc. This is how I do mine http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=7169711&postcount=562 This method works for me because my hair doesn't like really strong tea. HTH

Mostly shampoo bars are what are really popular right now. In India if you want something natural and as a shampoo most likely it will still contain SLS and other ingredients that aren't that great.

Are there any good Ayurvedic shampoos in it's regular form? I'm searching and all I'm finding are bars.

The shampoo bars are more natural and more authentic ayurveda, I wouldn't trust any bottle shampoos even if they say they're ayurveda they surely will have some SLS or LS in them and be too drying for your hair.

I made a hair mask for the first time last night. That was also the first time I'd used a mask of any kind for my hair. I started off making an avocado mask with 1 1/2 avocado,olive and coconut oils, and honey. I remembered my powders so I added shikakai and amla to it, 3 tsp each. It was a bit thick so I brewed some hibiscus and nettle tea and added that to it til it was like a pudding. I applied in sections and twisted each section as I went along so that my hair wouldn't tangle,I'm natural, and then put a baggie and twistie towel on and fell asleep. Rinsed out this morning and my hair is sooo soft. I just starting using these powders and aritha this week and I'm loving it!

I made a hair mask for the first time last night. That was also the first time I'd used a mask of any kind for my hair. I started off making an avocado mask with 1 1/2 avocado,olive and coconut oils, and honey. I remembered my powders so I added shikakai and amla to it, 3 tsp each. It was a bit thick so I brewed some hibiscus and nettle tea and added that to it til it was like a pudding. I applied in sections and twisted each section as I went along so that my hair wouldn't tangle,I'm natural, and then put a baggie and twistie towel on and fell asleep. Rinsed out this morning and my hair is sooo soft. I just starting using these powders and aritha this week and I'm loving it!

I've always wanted to try this. Was it moisturizing? Did it leak all over your pillow?

Last week I did my brhami, bringraj powder mask, I massaged and put it in and let it stay for 20 mins, I loved it my hair was soft, and strong.
OH I got my brhami and bringraj oils, 1 has some castor oil mixed with coconut oil in it so it's ok my hair will still absorb it, the other is coconut oil based 1 is mild spicy smell=bringraj, 1 mild nutty=brhami, I mixed them together. I scritched my scalp with my K-cutter comb, and before during applying the oils to my scalp. I like these oils then I won't have to do rinses all the time cause it's colder out now.
The oils came really fast, I got my oils @ www.amazon.com just do a search for the oils.

Back